Become a Patron!

Strange Differences in recipes

Ok so to start I started DIYing about 2 months ago, and have come up with 2 solid recipes I'm really loving. The most recent one I finished today and am very proud of its a lemon cream type recipe. However I have the exact percentages written down in a journal and use 1ml syringes broken down by tenths. So I'm very precise with measuring. However I loved this one so much I made 3 extra bottles about 3 hours after the first one. The strange thing is the first is much more tangy on the inhale, and smell than the other 3. I'm wondering if the fact that it sat after being blended for around 3-4 hours could have that big a difference on the taste. I'm setting them all four aside and seeing they're more similar tomorrow. I'm hoping that i didnt some how mismeasure the first one and now I don't know the difference and have to work to replicate that without knowing the differences. If any one has any insight into if juice can change flavor profile in that way within 3-4 hours it would be much appreciated!

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hmmm two things come to mind.. syringes if your not careful can be 'off' by the amount of liquid between the bottom of the syringe and the tip..depends on the guage of the needle but this can be enough to make a difference .. especially with sharp or strong flavors.
Second: Sounds like the flavors may not have been shaken enough to completely mix prior to mixing, resulting in one batch being a touch stronger than the others. (Also shake your juice after it is mixed prior to using)
Another possibility is that some flavors OR recipes are great right after they are done but actually do settle and mute a bit as they sit or 'steep'. This can occur with some lemons or citrus for example.. pineapple or lemon is a good example of flavors that are strong right when made and do fade or smooth out as time goes by. Additionally certain additives .. EM for one.. tend to mute flavors with time as they are meant to 'round' out the edges or sharpness of them. Another scenario is if the juice is 'overflavored' it may taste great when first made but turn to mush flavor wise as the mix starts to 'gell' or come together. If you are still having problems post up your recipe with brands & % and am sure someone will be able to help further. Good luck and welcome to VU!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If any one has any insight into if juice can change flavor profile in that way within 3-4 hours it would be much appreciated!

In that short of time it shouldn't.
Shake & Vape, or 24-36hrs for most fruits are fine.
But "certain" Lemon flavors will fade after a week.

I prefer using a cheapo scale, that reads down to .01 gr., for better accuracy, and consistency.

FE Lemon (from ECX only), has more staying power than others IMO.
If you like Lemon types, INW Lemon Cake at 3% is a great one.

Adding Cream, Vanilla, EM, Sweetener, etc. tends to "soften" the fruit flavors, some more than others.
With the more delicate fruits like Lemon they can easily over power it.

You can always add a bit more Lemon to the weaker ones until you get the right amounts figured out.
Flavoring bottles need to be shaken well before mixing of course.
Lowering the amount of Cream used may help too.

The other problem is when vaping the same thing over longer periods they appear to become weaker in taste.
Switching to other flavors in between can help.
Then try some again first thing in the morning:D.

I appreciate all the responses. I tried the bottles all individually this afternoon (the next day) and they all taste identical. One of the ingredients is malic acid (TFA Sour) so i assume it just didnt have the time to meld in with the rest of the flavors liek the bottle I blended earlier did. I have one other question I was hoping someone might have some experience in. If I find a recipe I really like and just make for instance 100 mls of the concentrates blended together so I only need to mix that blend with VG, PG, and Nic, would be steeping the entire time, or would it need to steep again once it was mixed with the other ingredients? Or would it be partially steeped cause the flavors have been melding, but then would need to equally blend throughout the base?

Right I assumed that much. What I'm wondering is will this have any effect on the steeping process? Will it already be steeped slightly if the flavoring mix sat for 2 weeks before being used, or would that only truly begin once mixed with the base and nic?

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My experience has been that it's all about evenly mixing the juice, not waiting for it to do it on its own. I do not steep anything. I put my flavors in my bottle first, cap & shake the hell out of them, then add my nic and PG, cap & shake again, then add my VG last since it makes mixing more difficult. All of my mixes seem to change for the worst over time as some or all of the flavors fade.

Steeping is just giving the molecules time to mix together on their own. As a side effect, some flavors fade. I actually believe that steeping is just a way of letting the stronger flavor(s) in the mix fade over time to their correct proportion. If the mix was made with the faded flavor are the equivalent post steep percentage it would be a shake and vape.

The complete lifespan of a 30ml bottle of juice for me is about 4 days. I mix them to taste the way I want it to and they stay the same all the way through the 4 days.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right I assumed that much. What I'm wondering is will this have any effect on the steeping process? Will it already be steeped slightly if the flavoring mix sat for 2 weeks before being used, or would that only truly begin once mixed with the base and nic?
LOL.. I didn't realize that you were the OP. Sorry. I'm an outlier as I said above. steeping = mixing & fading in my world.

VU Sponsors