Become a Patron!

Strange issue with new DNA 250

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got a new mod with a DNA250 as I usually do. Therefore, knowing it pretty well but this is odd. It is not going into temp control and I know why. First of all all materials say Kanthal above them but I do believe it is set in temp mode as I have adjusted the temp from "off" to 460. The issue seems to be this particular board reading the coils Ohms. These are .25 coils. In all my other mods they read .23 to .27. Good. This board is asking new coil? upon attachment of the atomizer. Good. However, it is reading any coil I put on it even if I build them at .45! That is obviously why it is not going into temp control and obviously a problem! I hate to RMA a board I got hours ago. Perhaps I have overlooked something, or something I do not know. No firmware available as it has the latest. Any guidance would be appreciated if anyone knows about this issue.

Thank you

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Did you try taking the batteries out or powering odd the mod?

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah sure ej :) Well get this, I have a lot of work to do tonight but I fell asleep. So I just got up, coil reads.24 and temp control is fully functioning! How freakin' weird is that? I hope it continues to work because as I said hate RMA brand new mod. Plus Evolv hates to work on custom mods. Since if they break it they owe you $500 or whatever it cost. They actually make you sign a form that you hold them harmless if the mod is damaged during the repair. They are very experienced tech's though. The only way I see them breaking one is if the mod was improperly designed/built to begin with. Still, I want this in my dang hand I will give a shout out to Evolv they are an excellent company with an excellent product. To this day, to my knowledge there is no chip quite as good. Some close but no cigar. That's just my opinion but I bet many agree. A mod really is the board in it. It is it's functionality. The mod is just a pretty case to hold it, the batteries and 510. Oh I for got the buttons! Anywhoo I am glad it works now. Knock on wood. That was really strange. I do need to use Escribe to change the names of things. That is all messed up. Obviously someone did that. They just changed the names of some functions. Like every material says Kanthal and "Temperature Protected" says "Over Limit". Heck, it might have a breathalyzer!

Happy Happy!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the coil was hot when you screwed it on the mod or if you unscrewed the atty while hot and screwed it back on it would lock in the higher resistance. After sitting for 30 minutes or so (unused) the chip will refine the resistance to the correct resistance. Sounds like what's happened to me. Either that or the 510 connection has a short/weak solder joint.

Cheers,
Steve

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Plus I had not setup Escribe on a custom mod with nothing set! Shame on me. By now you would think I knew better. I am just an idiot about some things. Well, rush to try my new toy. Took 550F atty off one mod and put it on too. 9 times out of 10 with a custom mod you must set it up first. Checking it with a production mod first is very advisable as well. Evolv is not plug and play and really for people that know what they are doing. I do, but I should know better by now. So I had jumped to the conclusion bad 510/wiring. Not! I checked it twice. I could have spent 1/2 that time just setting up Escribe! My lesson here is do not be so hasty. I even came here first to waste everyone's time. instead of just doing what was required and I knew this damn well. I apologize for sheer stupidity on this one. Of course it works absolutely fine now. Not set up, hot atty was interesting to say the least. Like handing a Tiger a steak HAHA.

One thing I am surprised is Evolv's DNA250 service pack is a year old. Either they are as lazy as I am or they are very busy. Probably the latter :)

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Plus I had not setup Escribe on a custom mod with nothing set! Shame on me. By now you would think I knew better. I am just an idiot about some things. Well, rush to try my new toy. Took 550F atty off one mod and put it on too. 9 times out of 10 with a custom mod you must set it up first. Checking it with a production mod first is very advisable as well. Evolv is not plug and play and really for people that know what they are doing. I do, but I should know better by now. So I had jumped to the conclusion bad 510/wiring. Not! I checked it twice. I could have spent 1/2 that time just setting up Escribe! My lesson here is do not be so hasty. I even came here first to waste everyone's time. instead of just doing what was required and I knew this damn well. I apologize for sheer stupidity on this one. Of course it works absolutely fine now. Not set up, hot atty was interesting to say the least. Like handing a Tiger a steak HAHA.

One thing I am surprised is Evolv's DNA250 service pack is a year old. Either they are as lazy as I am or they are very busy. Probably the latter :)

Nah, I've done the facepalm thing more than once...
If you get the latest early EScribe software release, there is indeed new firmware for the 200/250 series. You're looking for SetupEScribe2_SP9

VU Sponsors