Become a Patron!

Strong alcohol taste from vape juice.

Alright I'm going to try to give as much information on my issue as I can, in hopes that someone out there may have an answer or remedy.

I recently bought an e-juice online from a company called VapeNorth, they are a Canadian based company (I buy Canadian juice because I don't want to pay high shipping/duty fees). The juice is called Ultimate 100 Blue blood, it's a 70vg/30pg 6mg/ml Nicotine 100ml bottle. The "Made on" date is November 23rd, 2018.

On to the problem. The first time I put it in my vape and vaped on it I got a strong alcohol after taste. (especially when breathing out through the nose) I've tried it in multiple vapes and the result is the same. First i tried it in my sigelei snowwolf mfeng with both the standard wolf tank with WF-M 0.13Ω mesh coils at 70w, and my vandy vape Kylin v2 RTA with the triple fused claptons that came with the kit at 100w.

I also tried it in a smok tvf12 stick prince with the standard m4 coils, and a voopoo with the standard uforce t2 coils. No matter what I tried it always had that raunchy alcohol taste. So I searched online for an answer.

I've read a lot of people saying that it's probably not steeped yet, but surely 3 months is long enough to steep correct? I also read to let it breathe for 12 to 24 hours. Well I've let it breathe with the cap off for 15 hours and there still isn't any noticeable reduction in alcohol taste, and finally I've read that there are some people that are "Super smellers and tasters" that can pick up on the ethyl alcohol that was used to extract the flavorings. I've ruled the last one out because both my girlfriend and I can taste it, as well as my cousin.

Add to all of this, it basically renders my coil/wick useless as the alcohol flavor persists even after vaping 3 tanks of a different flavor.

Finally my question. Is there anybody out there that has experienced this and has found a solution for it? I really like the taste of this e-juice (aside from the alcohol part of course) and I don't want it to end up being a waste of $72. Should I let it breathe more ? give it a warm bath? Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Honestly, at this point I'll try anything! I want to love this juice.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Anytime I have had an alcohol taste in my DIY and some retail e-Liquids the solution was to shake and open the bottle to allow it to breath and evaporate the alcohol which is usually in the flavorings. Good Luck~! :vino:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh, one other suggestion is to heat to no more than 150°F and let it breath because that will help the alcohol evaporate faster. It is a compound in flavorings which I personally do not like myself so do not feel bad~!

Thank you for your replies! I did try that as well, but I may have not let it breathe long enough. The alcohol is very intense though even after 15 hours like I mentioned. Right now I've poured some into a smaller 60ml dropper bottle that I had laying around and I have it sitting in a bowl of warm water with the top off. I'm going to wait until the water is cold and then give it another try. I'll post an update if it had any effect. I'm not sure how hot the water is exactly, but it doesn't feel anywhere near that temperature, so I should be okay.
Oh, one other suggestion is to heat to no more than 150°F and let it breath because that will help the alcohol evaporate faster. It is a compound in flavorings which I personally do not like myself so do not feel bad~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had one that was so strong it took over 24 maybe even 36 hours before that subsided. I honestly think 15 hours isn't enough and shaking is a key component of the solution at least is my experience. I find some berry flavors are culprits. Again good luck~!

:vino::vino:

I had one that was so strong it took over 24 maybe even 36 hours before that subsided. I honestly think 15 hours isn't enough and shaking is a key component of the solution at least is my experience. I find some berry flavors are culprits. Again good luck~!

:vino::vino:

Just thought I would update on how everything turned out:

It took 3 bird baths and 35.5 hours of shaking and breathing, but I have it to a point now where the alcohol is barely noticeable if at all. What I'm left with is okay I suppose, but it definitely doesn't taste like a blue raspberry slushie, I think a lot of the flavor diminished as a result of me just trying to get rid of the alcohol. It's very sweet and I little bit piney. I'm not going to let it go to waste however, but I wont be buying it again. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Vape on man!

One final update. I was still noticing an alcohol after taste, so I changed over to my every day juice for a couple days while continuing to "streath" my other juice. When I went back to the other stuff, the alcohol taste was still there, and still strong. I may have just had some olfactory fatigue to the alcohol its self and that's why I didn't notice it as much before. In the end and in my opinion it's just a garbage juice marketed as premium with a bunch of sweetener, or maybe I got a bad batch, I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of is that I wont be buying it again, nor recommending it to anyone. You'd think there'd be some kind of quality control when It comes to actually SELLING this stuff, but you'd be mistaken. In the coming months I plan to start mixing myself. I've had enough of playing the "Guess this flavor" lottery with names like "super fun time" for example. I have an idea for a blueberry Belgium waffle french toast with cinnamon I've been dying to try out.:idea:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've had enough of playing the "Guess this flavor" lottery with names like "super fun time" for example.

If a flavoring or e-Liquid doesn't have a description of what it is supposed to taste like I would never try it. Unless it is like a Vape Wild Mystery Flavor you try to guess but they usually give them away for free. Then the Lottery is fun. Good Luck in your quest @D00mClouds

I feel bad resurrecting a dead post, but I had to give another update since the last time I posted. I actually did start mixing my own E liquid. The price and quality control of commercial e liquid got to me and I made the plunge. I've been mixing for about 3 months, I have over 30 flavors now (and growing) and I buy all my ingredients from a reputable Canadian retailer. I have to say it has changed my experience dramatically for the better.

Looking back at this post and thinking about that horrible e liquid, I'm still wondering why that e liquid was pure alcohol in a bottle. I've mixed dozens of bottles, some have even been blue raspberry slushy and not a single one has had any alcohol hit what so ever. It's funny I actually tried that e liquid again, months after my last post and that same alcohol hit was still there, and still strong. What possesses a company to make a recipe like that with 0 quality control? Did they not test it before selling it? It's not just them, I've had a similar experience with another company.

I say to anyone that is having a similar problem... Make the investment, start making your own recipes, and stop giving your money to garbage retail e juice companies. I have one recipe that i mix all the time that is a clone of a popular commercial e liquid, but instead of paying $24.99 for a 30ml bottle, I pay $4 with a bit of labour. It's worth it, and you wont regret it.

Much love,
D00mClouds

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good Morning @D00mClouds and never feel bad about resurrecting your own thread~! Glad to hear you have solved the issue with the old saying. Want something done right then Do It Yourself~! I would doubt they add alcohol but rather it is a flavoring they use that is heavy Alcohol content.

VU Sponsors