Become a Patron!

Study Says Vaping Does Not Stain Teeth

Have you noticed a difference in your oral health after switching to Vaping ?

• Total voters

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happy Tuesday Guys!!

Here's a pretty cool article from our Online Blog...this is a quick but informative read :)

Study_Says_Vaping_Does_Not_Stain_Teeth_2_large.jpg

One of the most visible consequences of smoking cigarettes is the annoying yellow stain on the front of someone’s teeth which has been proven to not only be unhealthy in a general mouth hygene sense, but also unpleasant for the image-conscious.

The latest study to address this issue comes from British American Tobacco (BAT), who hired scientists to examine the discoloration of a cow’s teeth exposed to cigarette smoke and e-cigarette vapor over a two-week period. The results were good news for e-cigarettes: the [tobacco smoke exposed] cow’s teeth changed colors almost immediately, while the teeth exposed to vaping showed “minimal change in color.”

The results were presented at an annual conference for the American Association for Dental Research. The study has confirmed (again) what we in the vaping community have long suspected: that teeth stains are caused by tar found in combustible cigarettes.

The pictures accompanying the article linked above reveal an immediately visible difference to the cow’s teeth, which was enough for British American to conclude that teeth exposed to smoke were rapidly discolored as opposed to teeth exposed to vape.

"After the first day, the teeth exposed to the smoke extract started to change color and over the course of 14 days, these teeth got darker and darker in color," BAT said. "Even with the naked eye, the color changes with the cigarette extract could be easily seen after one day. In contrast to teeth exposed to smoke those exposed to an e-cigarette or THP vapor exhibited a minimal change in color, similar to untreated teeth."

BAT said that cow’s teeth are often used in research in lieu of human teeth and used to test the effects of products like toothpaste and mouthwash.

Additionally, the cow teeth were prepared to make them more like human teeth. First, they were polished using sandpaper to make them seem more human-like. Then they were incubated at body temperature in human saliva (yick) in order to mimic the conditions of a human mouth. Some teeth were also incubated in solvent with no extract at all to act as a control.

This incubation results in the creation of the so-called pellicle layer on the teeth, which is the smooth film you can feel on your teeth when you rub your tongue over them. It is the normal protein layer that forms on teeth when certain molecules in saliva bond to the tooth enamel.

According to the case study, a “puffing robot” was used in the research process to evenly distribute smoke and vapor. In both cases, the smoke or vapor was collected onto a filter pad and a solvent was used to extract solid material from the filter pad, which was then tested on the cow’s teeth.

Study creepiness aside, we think you'll agree that the results confirm yet another tangible benefit of dropping the smokes and picking up a vape.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for sharing. :)

Would like to see a study done on the effects excessive use of sweetener in ejuice has on teeth. Many juices are just flat out obscene with the amount of sweetener used. It's why I'm going DIY soon.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't care about staining while I was a smoker, so I don't think I care about it as a vaper. :)

My dental hygienist is convinced that vaping is harming my gums though. But, I think it's unwarranted for a couple of reasons.

My gums on the front bottom teeth have shrunk and she attributes this to vaping. I'm pretty sure it's from smoking(and age). She thinks it's because the vapor passes through there. Smoke did, but vapor does not. When I smoked, the cigarette would be in my lips and center. But with vaping I bite the driptip using more of the corner of my mouth rather than the center meaning the output of vapor is past my teeth and vapor does not pass through the teeth like smoke did.

I don't bother to debate the issue with her though or even explain.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Dentist is thrilled that I stopped smoking and that I'm Vaping. My oral health has changed drastically, for the good. I've had gum problems for years, that is until I stopped smoking and started Vaping.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for sharing. :)

Would like to see a study done on the effects excessive use of sweetener in ejuice has on teeth. Many juices are just flat out obscene with the amount of sweetener used. It's why I'm going DIY soon.
Hmmmm! That would be interesting. What's even more interesting is that it found in our food as well!

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't care about staining while I was a smoker, so I don't think I care about it as a vaper. :)

My dental hygienist is convinced that vaping is harming my gums though. But, I think it's unwarranted for a couple of reasons.

My gums on the front bottom teeth have shrunk and she attributes this to vaping. I'm pretty sure it's from smoking(and age). She thinks it's because the vapor passes through there. Smoke did, but vapor does not. When I smoked, the cigarette would be in my lips and center. But with vaping I bite the driptip using more of the corner of my mouth rather than the center meaning the output of vapor is past my teeth and vapor does not pass through the teeth like smoke did.

I don't bother to debate the issue with her though or even explain.
Pretty solid observation I might say I also do not blame you for not wanting to argue haha!

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Dentist is thrilled that I stopped smoking and that I'm Vaping. My oral health has changed drastically, for the good. I've had gum problems for years, that is until I stopped smoking and started Vaping.
That is music to my ears man! Great work :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would have enjoyed watching the Cows smoking.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great chatting with you guys! I am off to bed ZzzzZ GN :wave:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Study creepiness aside, we think you'll agree that the results confirm yet another tangible benefit of dropping the smokes and picking up a vape.

My family doc has noticed an improvement in my general health since I switched to vaping six years ago, and I have also. I really don't think I would still be here if I had continued on that course. My teeth on the other hand are still yellow. Of course, after smoking for 37 years I doubt any discoloration from that will ever be reduced, not that the results from that study suggest it would.

I'll take that. It works for me :)

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My family doc has noticed an improvement in my general health since I switched to vaping six years ago, and I have also. I really don't think I would still be here if I had continued on that course. My teeth on the other hand are still yellow. Of course, after smoking for 37 years I doubt any discoloration from that will ever be reduced, not that the results from that study suggest it would.

I'll take that. It works for me :)
That's amazing news! There's many natural products on the market for your oral health, you will be surprised :). Great job kicking that habit!

VU Sponsors