Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm with juicy!
Tell your doctor to shove his stethoscope where can get a good listening to his descending colon.

Ive had 2 lung x-rays since I started vaping in 2012. Both show clear lungs. I was a 2PAD smoker for almost 20 years.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exactly what Lucy said -- get another doctor who actually has a brain in his head. My doc is thrilled with vaping, since it's the first thing that actually worked to get me to quit smoking -- I wouldn't even consider the patches he kept trying to push on me, because I already know, they don't work. Vaping does. The only thing that matters is that I'm not smoking anymore, and he realizes that probably better than I do!

Andria

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly what Lucy said -- get another doctor who actually has a brain in his head. My doc is thrilled with vaping, since it's the first thing that actually worked to get me to quit smoking -- I wouldn't even consider the patches he kept trying to push on me, because I already know, they don't work. Vaping does. The only thing that matters is that I'm not smoking anymore, and he realizes that probably better than I do!

Andria
Patches just made me grumpy! Vaping 4 the win!!!! I agree new Doctor!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Patches just made me grumpy! Vaping 4 the win!!!! I agree new Doctor!

I got nearly psychotic both times I tried them, which I think was a combo of slight nic OD, and the total lack of the MAOIs; on my recovery from my relapse to dual use in 2014, I needed to add some WTA to make the cravings go away, and given my lifelong battle with depression and anxiety, I think I was self-medicating since the age of 13, by smoking! Without that WTA, even vaping wouldn't have worked very well for me.

Andria

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My doctors are proud that I switched from cigarettes to vaping. Like @f1r3b1rd I've had a ton of xrays over the last 2 years and not one complaint about my lungs. My bp is well under control as well, so I doubt it's because of vaping that yours is high.

I was a 2 PAD smoker for well over 40 years.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Your blood pressure was high for the same reason as most of the other people with high blood pressure.
Because you are at the doctors office where you don't want to be while waiting longer then you want to wait then by the time you see the doctor you are ready to rip someones head off.

BearHunter104

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
My doctor told me vaping was better than smoking....however he also said all the data is not in yet....I can agree ....kinda like how do you run out of space.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep new doctor time.

My BP dropped when I quit smoking.

yes nicotine in any form CAN raise blood pressure.
But in any case all data so far shows that vaping is FAR safer than smoking.

doctors who ignore data and go faith based I have no use for.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I find it best to not mention vaping at all.
I only said I was a former smoker.

Wasn't until a year later I finally asked my doctor her opinion on vaping and she was honest and said she didn't know much about it.

For the record, when I had my diabetes checkup this morning, my blood pressure was 116 over 72, which is a normal healthy blood pressure. There has been times when it was high, but checking it again at the end of the visit would always result in it being a normal level again so can chalk it up to just being nervous due to being in the office. Pretty good for somebody who vapes an average of 30ml of 3mg nic a day.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Vaping has had a rather unexpected effect on my own BP. I've always had extremely low BP, all my life -- leaving me very prone to fainting at the slightest provocation, like some fucking Victorian miss in a corset! But now and then, completely out of nowhere and for no apparent reason, it would shoot up to something rather alarming, like 135/90 -- mine usually ran about 110/65 or something like that, so yeah, 135/90 is VERY alarming! But since about 6 moonths after I switched from pk a day to vaping only... now my BP sits very steadily, right around the golden 120/80; no dizzy drops, no alarming jumps... just steady as a rock. I call that a WIN!

Andria

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
135/90 in a doctors office would be a thing of beauty for me. When I got really sick several years ago, I was treated with something that made.me very agitated. Each BP check went higher and nurse wouldn't stop taking it. I took my aggression out on the BP machine, which obviously was used for the last time that day. Now left with white coat hypertension and no idea how to fix it.

Anyhow, back to the topic for the OP, Boston is one of the unfriendliest places to be a vaper. The political climate, intellectual elite, and media that fans the flames all add fuel to the fire. I have admitted light smoking here and there to a couple of docs, but vaping has been don't ask don't tell. But while in the waiting room getting aggravated waiting, id sure like to demonstrate the capabilities of a T8 coil at about 235 watts.

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you'd be surprised how many stupid "smart" people there are. some people take propaganda, and public opinion as gospel, and hate any FACTS that clash with, or threaten their personal beliefs.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My doctor commends me for switching to vaping but my dentist says it's horrible for teeth. I haven't heard anybody complain about their teeth going bad from vaping so I don't know what that's about.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My doctor commends me for switching to vaping but my dentist says it's horrible for teeth. I haven't heard anybody complain about their teeth going bad from vaping so I don't know what that's about.

My dentist is sooooo glad I quit smoking - didn't mention vaping though. Didn't wanna hear it just in case.

Dentists and wanna be dentists (hygienists) are one of the few professions where they seem to think it is okay to rag on their customers and chastise them like they don't have a choice in finding another practitioner

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My dentist is sooooo glad I quit smoking - didn't mention vaping though. Didn't wanna hear it just in case.

Dentists and wanna be dentists (hygienists) are one of the few professions where they seem to think it is okay to rag on their customers and chastise them like they don't have a choice in finding another practitioner
You're right -- my dentist was very unfriendly to me after I mentioned to her that I vape. She said she has friends in high places in the vape world and that vaping is absolutely horrible for me. Some people! :facepalm:

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
WTF is that supposed to mean - really!!!
I don't know. I was (and still am) proud of quitting cigs and vaping instead and so thought my dentist would be on my side about vaping but I was wrong. I have no clue what friends she has that have anything to do with vaping, much less knowing anything about it. Her friends obviously misinformed her about the "dangers of vaping".

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I don't know. I was (and still am) proud of quitting cigs and vaping instead and so thought my dentist would be on my side about vaping but I was wrong. I have no clue what friends she has that have anything to do with vaping, much less knowing anything about it. Her friends obviously misinformed her about the "dangers of vaping".

That's very sad about her - but good on you!

Steve St

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have text book BP, and did when I smoked. Saw my doc last week and told him and my nurse I switched to vaping and they both agree way better, insurance companies still say smoking because of the nic, but both doc and nurse agree nic is basically the same as caffeine...way better than ash because the 4000-7000 other chemicals are gone...find a new doc...mine is even glad his daughter is vaping instead of ash

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You gotta remember a few things about doctors. First, some of them had to graduate at the bottom of their classes, iow, they just got by. Second, there are hundreds of thousands of bogus medical degrees around the world, and that includes the US. Third, many doctors are arrogant and I understand, it comes with the nature of the profession. Sometimes they have to be called on that.

Last year I had taken my son to a doctor in Dubai for his eyes and it was a visit in which they were testing. At one point the doctor ordered another test and when I questioned her about it, she snapped and said it's a necessary procedure. I leaned over the desk as far as I could, looked her in the eye and said, "You will not talk to me like I am ignorant, uneducated man. I expect and have the right to have all of my questions answered fully. Do you understand me?" She was shocked to say the least. She then answered the question and has been fine with me since. They're just people who have to reminded of things sometimes.

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my uncle is a nurse, so when I started vaping to quit dipping, I had to endure a tirade about how much worse for me vaping is than smoking, or dipping. I even got the old "inhaling anti-freeze" argument. but now my mom, who was a pad smoker, is 5 months cig free. my brother, who was a 2 pad smoker, is 3 months cig free. and my dad, who was a 2 pad smoker, is down to less than half a pad. no more talk about getting pneumonia from vaping.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Had an X-ray earlier this year got the all clear as well, also my dentist was much happier with me vaping said can see the diffierence in my gums

I think for the most part doctors will remain neutral on the topic until long term studies come out it's all about accountability these days no one wants to commit publicly on the record for fear of being sued. Having said that they used to have a go about me smoking haven't said anything about giving up vaping though so that's a positive sign :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing to keep in mind about doctors is that they tend to be incredibly busy, especially in the US. Some will see dozens of patients a day. This leaves very little time to keep up with their professional development. But being doctors, it's hard for them to say they know nothing about something, so they'll draw on whatever they've got, which I assume for most is simply, it looks like smoking, smoking is bad, ergo vaping is bad.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My GP and my Dentist both love the fact that I stopped smoking and started vaping.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only my wife loves that I switched to vaping.
My cats even hated it.
Apparently vapor looks different to cats views than smoke does.
Reflects different light spectrum or something.
They have finally gotten mostly used to it.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
My cats even hated it.

funnily enough if you ever happen accross a spider in its web and blow vapour at it, it doesn't move, when I used to do the same thing with smoke it would run away

Yeah I know strange thing to try but when I'm evicted to the back garden to vape just something to do

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cats just tend to watch the vapor like it is a thing to watch out for.
Must look much more solid to them.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Had an X-ray earlier this year got the all clear as well, also my dentist was much happier with me vaping said can see the diffierence in my gums

I think for the most part doctors will remain neutral on the topic until long term studies come out it's all about accountability these days no one wants to commit publicly on the record for fear of being sued. Having said that they used to have a go about me smoking haven't said anything about giving up vaping though so that's a positive sign :)

Lucky for you, the UK in general is much more enlightened about vaping - a real role model for the rest of the world

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lucky for you, the UK in general is much more enlightened about vaping - a real role model for the rest of the world
With restrictions like 10 ml juice bottles and 2 ml tanks?
it is beginning to look like that NZ may turn out to be the leader.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My cats even hated it.

ROFL... my cat seems to approve -- when I smoked, if I tried to pet her with my right hand (which was the one that normally held a cigarette), she would try to bite that hand. Once it didn't reek of burnt shit anymore, she's fine with either hand. She also was really fascinated by the blue light at the tip of the eRoll. :giggle:

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
With restrictions like 10 ml juice bottles and 2 ml tanks?
it is beginning to look like that NZ may turn out to be the leader.

That's the EU rules - and Britain is seceding from that train wreck

You forget about their public health stance regarding vaping :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's the EU rules - and Britain is seceding from that train wreck

You forget about their public health stance regarding vaping :)
Maybe but GB has their own version of the tpd they implemented which follows TPD but emphasises the 2 ml restriction where Tpd is a bit ambiguous.
I think it is called TPR.
So withdrawing from EU will have no impact on vaping in GB.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Maybe but GB has their own version of the tpd they implemented which follows TPD but emphasises the 2 ml restriction where Tpd is a bit ambiguous.

But that can be altered easier internally than chained to the EU

Just the fact that Public Health is actively encouraging smokers to switch to vaping is HUGE compared to what is happening here

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

We'll see ...there was noise about recscending some of the TPD laws when we leave in one of the broadsheets, although in all liklehood it's way down in the list of eurocratic nonsense to address first. They'll probably want to focus on sorting Boris's haircut out. That has to be a top priority he is after all our foreign frontman, it just won't do looking like a scruff

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Just the fact that Public Health is actively encouraging smokers to switch to vaping is HUGE compared to what is happening here

Exactly this ...here is the NHS website stoptober campaign the very first option in the list highlights E-Cigs as a safer choice

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/stoptober/home

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Can be but there are still rumors of making even no nic premix juice subject to the 10 ml rule and flavorings are in debate.

Anything is possible either way.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think most anybody agrees that vaping is less of a danger than smoking. I think there is truth to the reality that vaping is not safe from harm. Personally I get fairly phlegmy from vaping-way more so than smoking. Our lungs were designed for air. I am not going to stick my head in the sand and be surprised that there are actual side effects from vaping-some potentially bad ones-but the bottom line is if it gets you off smoking-it's a win.

A good doctor would see the positives in getting off cigarettes, and should recommend vaping as a safer alternative, but At the same time still has a duty to prefer their patients do neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think most anybody agrees that vaping is less of a danger than smoking. I think there is truth to the reality that vaping is not safe from harm. Personally I get fairly phlegmy from vaping-way more so than smoking. Our lungs were designed for air. I am not going to stick my head in the sand and be surprised that there are actual side effects from vaping-some potentially bad ones-but the bottom line is if it gets you off smoking-it's a win.

A good doctor would see the positives in getting off cigarettes, and should recommend vaping as a safer alternative, but At the same time still has a duty to prefer their patients do neither.

Great post!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Great post!

You think? I was thinking it's exactly the opposite, which leads me to think that Mr Paseman vapes high VG -- I had a LOT more mucus when I smoked, a whole chestful and sinusful of it, versus now, with my high-PG vaping, in which there is so little mucus that I have a very hard time clearing my asthmatic wheezing -- the excess mucus in my chest actually helped, because it could *move* -- now there's nothing much there to move, so clearing the wheeze means a LOT of hard, dry coughing. However even when I tried higher VG (33% instead of my usual 15%) and it felt like I had a hairball in my chest, I couldn't clear it, and it made my asthmatic wheeze much worse, to the point that breathing was very difficult.

Andria

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You think? I was thinking it's exactly the opposite, which leads me to think that Mr Paseman vapes high VG -- I had a LOT more mucus when I smoked, a whole chestful and sinusful of it, versus now, with my high-PG vaping, in which there is so little mucus that I have a very hard time clearing my asthmatic wheezing -- the excess mucus in my chest actually helped, because it could *move* -- now there's nothing much there to move, so clearing the wheeze means a LOT of hard, dry coughing. However even when I tried higher VG (33% instead of my usual 15%) and it felt like I had a hairball in my chest, I couldn't clear it, and it made my asthmatic wheeze much worse, to the point that breathing was very difficult.

Andria
If somebody acknowledges a problem from vaping I take them at their word. I'm not on the bus that vaping is definitely perfectly safe for everybody. Like medicine or smoking or anything there are those who have no problems from it and others who do.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If somebody acknowledges a problem from vaping I take them at their word. I'm not on the bus that vaping is definitely perfectly safe for everybody. Like medicine or smoking or anything there are those who have no problems from it and others who do.

Well, I certainly agree with that, hence mentioning how much more difficult it is for me to clear my wheezes now as a vaper, versus when I smoked. The nice thing is, I'm not drowning in mucus when I wake up in the morning, so I don't need to grab the rescue inhaler just to jump-start my breathing for the day. At least, I can get up and go empty my bladder first, possibly even don my robe, before making use of the rescue inhaler. And I *had* to address my chronic dehydration issues, thx to vaping making it so much worse that my electrolytes went completely insane -- so it was a problem, but one which caused me to become healthier simply to get rid of the cankles. :)

Andria

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Agree let's not kid ourselves here were better of not vaping or smoking. Andria does have a point on the high VG bit causing more mucus I do find that as well although I can't use to much PG it irritates my throat something rotten, hence why I stick around 75% VG. What's clear since joining this forum is everyone reacts to the mixes differently.
There are some flavours ive come across even in the flavour arts range I can't vape for long periods either as my throats reacts to them.

Best thing we can all do is listen to our own body and do what's best for each of us as we go. As with everything in vaping there is no one right way of doing things

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If anybody reacted to my post as a negative post about vaping-I feel that perhaps that stems from being overly defensive. I stated fairly clearly that vaping was better than smoking. I simply said that for me (yes high VG, hard to find non high VG juice these days) makes me very phlegmy.

Im not sure how anyone could pretend that filling our lungs with anything but what they were designed for wouldn't have adverse affects-whether it be an excess of phlegm or even long term side effects.

Yes, everybody's experience is different-but then, that rings true for smoking too. Countless people smoked all their lives and died at an old age while others got cancer or heart issues at a fairly young age.

Anyways, I vape. Im in no way against it. Just being realistic.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No offense to anyone here if someone happens to be a doctor but for the most part they're morons. They diagnose you with something based on a guess (the educated part is up for debate), then they prescribe you something that may or may not help but comes with a laundry list of side effects. When that doesn't work they have you come back so they can 'try' something else. For the hundreds of dollars an hour they make, god forbid I want someone to 'fix' whatever the issue is. How about I pay someone $10/hr to 'guess'. Myself and many of my friends have no medical degrees and we can guess all fricken day long.

I went to several doctors about my chronic coughing and stuffed up sinuses, told each of them it had been going on for 2yrs or better. 90% of them said 'yea, allergies. get some mucinex'. Even when I said it was all day every day all year long. Sorry, ragweed allergies aren't really a thing in the dead of winter and everything is frozen. When I eventually decided to stop smoking the issues went away, my best guess is something in the fire safe chemicals added to them since that's around the time the symptoms began building after having little more than a smoker's cough for the previous 15yrs. Happy accident to address what multiple doctors couldn't.

Another time I went to the e.r. with an out of control fever of 105+ and a sore on my knee. The genius said 'it looks like an infection, here's a script for antibiotics' and sent me home. A day later I went to my regular doctor, got transferred to an orthopedic surgeon then hospitalized for a week with a staph infection so bad they called the cdc and gave me last line of defense meds. Gee, antibiotics or immediate medical attention with a week of isolation. That's kinda like flipping a coin and saying 'fuck it, either you need chemo or an aspirin - not sure which'. Not even in the same realm of diagnosis.

Pretty sure when the doctor leaves the exam room and is gone for 15-20min before returning they're in their office violently shaking a magic eight ball. Hell if they actually did they might do a better job.

VU Sponsors