Become a Patron!

Stupid question #2

Vankax

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lower resist coils = more smoke and higher flavour taste, but they consume more liquid and wear off quicker and need to be replaced and they consume more battery?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, except it's not smoke, it's vapor -- that's the whole point of vaping. If they is ANY smoke, then you're not doing it right.

Actually I don't know if they wear out quicker. To avoid worrying about it, just build your own; those last FAR longer than anything from a factory, and then when they do need replacing, you just twist a new coil, not have to spend money.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Your flavor actually comes from the amount of airflow, power and shape of the tank and mouth piece. Lower airflow, reduced power, small bore tip (small hole in the mouth piece)= more flavor.
Higher power, more airflow and larger bore tip = more clouds.
Since you are new, don't worry about rebuilding coils, but it is nice if you have the option to do so. We can help with building coils and wicking if you need help.

Now, I noticed you said you wanted big clouds in your other thread. For big ass, room fogging, set off fog horns in the harbor clouds, a RDA (rebuildable drip atomizer) will kick the arse of any tank, hands down, no competition. MutationX V4 is my favorite, TwistedMesses is also good, and Tsunami is decent for clouds and flavor. A temple RDA has a massive 30mm base so you can use huge coils (as long as your mod has power to run them)
That is probably something for later. I am just saying, plan a head a bit, what you want your mod to do, the results you want, and how much learning you are willing to do.

By the way.. avoid mechanical mods. Those are advanced user items and not to be messed with by new users. Basically, if you have to ask how to build a coil on those, you shouldn't be using one. Even if you can build coils, even if you have been vaping for years, there is a lot to learn about mech mods to use them safely. So avoid them. I have one, but only use it for competition builds for single cell mechanical class. In other words.. I can't tell you my build in a new vaper forum. Mind you, I studied for 6 months before buying it. And 3 more after getting it. And more research as needed.

Since you did mention clouds, it is pretty simple.. clouds = more battery power = shorter run time and more juice used. 2 sets of batteries is pretty much a must for clouds. It is also nice to have a fully charged set ready to go. But that isn't something you have to get right away. When you need the extra set, get them.

Vankax

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since you did mention clouds, it is pretty simple.. clouds = more battery power = shorter run time and more juice used. 2 sets of batteries is pretty much a must for clouds. It is also nice to have a fully charged set ready to go. But that isn't something you have to get right away. When you need the extra set, get them.

I think i will be going with this one. What do you think? (connect the www's)

https://ww w.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-SMOK-ALIEN-BLACK-VAPORCOMBO/dp/B01LZP0LN5/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1490847478&sr=1-1&keywords=smok+alien

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Great post, gb. After more than 3 yrs of vaping, I still have no earthly idea why anyone would care more about fogging up the room than about the flavor and sensation of the vape, and the money-savings, but it sounds like you covered the basics for a new vaper really well.

Lower airflow, reduced power, small bore tip (small hole in the mouth piece)= more flavor.

That right there -- precisely my idea of a great vape, and clouds can kiss my ass. They don't provide anything useful to someone who just wants to get off and stay off cigarettes, but certainly have the power to annoy a lot of people who might otherwise be very supportive of switching from smoking to vaping.

Good that you mentioned the dangers of trying to wrestle with mechs too soon, too -- I agree completely, they need studying up on, the basics of batteries and Ohm's Law and all that, or they're just an accident looking for a place to happen. Not that regulated mods can't also be dangerous if not handled properly, but mechs have no failsafes whatever.

Let's hear it for vaping safely! :banana:

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

https://ww w.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-SMOK-ALIEN-BLACK-VAPORCOMBO/dp/B01LZP0LN5/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1490847478&sr=1-1&keywords=smok+alien
Looks good. That tank and 220w box should keep you happy for quite awhile, and the box has power to run RDAs if you want to go for balls out cloud builds. It should handle a dual 9 wrap parallel cloud build quite nicely. (basically... 2x 18 wrap coils but ramp up faster) I have done 2x 10 wrap parallel on my 200w box, but just wasn't quite where I wanted it for power. I'll have to try the 9 wraps. :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
After more than 3 yrs of vaping, I still have no earthly idea why anyone would care more about fogging up the room
It is a hobby and helped me quit smoking. I mean, spending 8 hours building 2 coils keeps your mind off cigs. *lol* That was back when I was first learning and wanted to try a dual micro coil on my mini rba. That rba will just hold a 3.0 mm id core.. and I put 2 coils in that tiny space. NOT something I would try a 2nd time. LOL I only blow clouds at home, or when showing a buddy what my builds can do, or away from other people. Some people are just to hilarious though. They see a cloud 50 feet away, and start waving their arms around like they are covered in hornets.. and the cloud is gone before they move 10 feet closer.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

These batteries look ok, but i would still recommend getting your batteries from a local shop.

They are the 25Rs. Since you are using a 220w box, these are probably better. (especially if you chain vape) I would also recommend getting a heat sink. $1.99 from fasttech. Heat from the atomizer can cause problems with the IC board if it gets to hot. *Usually, to much heat means your coils are to big or positioned to close to the sides of your atomizer cap.*

LOL just notice the "Or buy new" NEVER buy used batteries. Your mod needs 2 cells and those MUST be kept in married pairs. Used together, and charged together.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is a hobby and helped me quit smoking. I mean, spending 8 hours building 2 coils keeps your mind off cigs. *lol* That was back when I was first learning and wanted to try a dual micro coil on my mini rba. That rba will just hold a 3.0 mm id core.. and I put 2 coils in that tiny space. NOT something I would try a 2nd time. LOL I only blow clouds at home, or when showing a buddy what my builds can do, or away from other people. Some people are just to hilarious though. They see a cloud 50 feet away, and start waving their arms around like they are covered in hornets.. and the cloud is gone before they move 10 feet closer.

Yeah, hell, I'm not that patient. :giggle: All I've ever wanted from vaping was a close facsimile to the behavior and sensations, and initially, the taste, of smoking. The insistence on "tasting like my cigarettes" fell by the wayside before I'd been smoke-free for 6 months -- when I realized that of COURSE blueberry muffins taste better than tobacco! I mean... DUH! :giggle: The fact that I could taste something yummy, while still having the close facsimile to the sensations and behavior... that completely sealed the deal. :)

But my husband would not be happy with me if I fogged up the place; he used to wave his arms around when we'd watch TV in his room, even with my wispy lil high-PG "clouds". Plus, high-VG absolutely kills my breathing. So it's fortunate that I never gave a single rat's ass about clouds.

Andria

ETA: the other thing I wanted from vaping -- that's why I learned to build coils: it's a lot cheaper than buying them forever. I used to sit and dream of not having to spend $80 every pay period for cigarettes, and vaping made the impossible, possible: I don't smoke, and I save a BUTTLOAD of money. :)

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Arrggg dammit I'll edit it sorry :( the h was silent honest lol
no worries.. happens all the time. Like with gov't offices, hospitals, DMV, payroll...
I mean, it isn't like they aren't LOOKING right at the form in front of them.... lol.
Apparently, it is all the same family anyway.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I, don't like too restricted airflow because after a little while it kind of makes me feel all dizzy and seasick complete with headaches and everything, NOT relaxing, and the same applies to using lower than 70 VG juice. But if the airflow is almost not restricted at all, then it also doesn't work for me so with big dual coil builds I generally prefer to put the air holes two thirds of the way open on my (25mm) RDA. For me, a bigger warmer smoother vape is just a means to complement the good flavor with the other important factors that make up a nice comfort zone. It's just a thing about balance. And a flying brick,

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
By the way.. avoid mechanical mods. Those are advanced user items and not to be messed with by new users. Basically, if you have to ask how to build a coil on those, you shouldn't be using one.

For: @Vankax

Quite agree with this yet will add even knowing how you might sometimes foul up your math. It is always a very good idea to use an Ohm reader / voltage meter separate from any mod to first test your build to ensure you're good to go, also it is nice to possibly post here and explain dual or single and your battery setup. "Hey buddy, can you check my math to be sure I got this right?" That can save you possibly shorting to blowing up a mod/battery. I can humbly and graciously admit to having this be the case a few times, and I do tend to think I know a bit about what I'm doing. So, set the ego aside because we're all just as human and all as equal as you. :)

That is important to consider when using mechanical mods especially. They have no fuses usually to short and protect you. This is why you'll often find mech users being called the folks who suck on pipe bombs, though I prefer something from AC/DC, we're Kissing Dynamite. Don't get me wrong, I do love using a mechanical & feel that all the fancy shiny on regulated mods is just stuff waiting to go wrong. But if you do decide upon using a mechanical later on be prepared to weigh your comfort to risk factor. Not saying you need to use mechanical either. There's plenty of really decent regulated mods abounding now. If you rather stay in the shallows more power to you, vape on! :)

You'll also find around here there are no stupid questions, except the one didn't ask that led you danger. Ask away, folks will respond. Please try to be clear about your issue, mod, type of battery, type of rda / tank and such. We often need to know about the gear to understand where you are with a problem in order to help. We don't read minds, well, not all of us anyway. ;) :)

By the way, "Heya." :hug: :) :wave: Please don't mind if someone tells you to GFY. it's understood around here as a term of endearment. Everyone is used to the world telling them F... you and being very full of hate. Well, we feel everyone deserves love even if it is self love in F...ing yourself, at least someone cares enough to tell you to go love yourself. :) :hug: Sorry, I'm a huggy type of guy, just friendly gentle hugs if they bother ask and I'll not hug you.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
no worries.. happens all the time. Like with gov't offices, hospitals, DMV, payroll...
I mean, it isn't like they aren't LOOKING right at the form in front of them.... lol.
Apparently, it is all the same family anyway.

Likewise -- people here at the forum can see my avatar with the username right under it... and I "sign" every post I make.. well unless I totally space or something and hit submit before return-return-Andria... yet STILL I see posts which seem to be addressed to ME... yet they say "Andrea"... who the hell is Andrea? :giggle:

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ETA: the other thing I wanted from vaping -- that's why I learned to build coils: it's a lot cheaper than buying them forever. I used to sit and dream of not having to spend $80 every pay period for cigarettes, and vaping made the impossible, possible: I don't smoke, and I save a BUTTLOAD of money. :)

No doubt on saving money. Figure I'll now likely only be doling out around $100 -$150 a year for vaping stuff instead of $200 or so. Staying in cigarettes, and/or smokeless tobacco would cost me around $10,000 to $15,000 a year just to get the products much less any after market medical costs. Fuck that! I'm not going to let Big Tobacco / Pharmaceuticals / Government / Lawyers keep milking me poor. *chuckles* Bad enough we're as poor as we are anyway, don't need more help like that.

Yes'm I'm afixin to get on the laundry right directly. You're right, it's fared out for a spell here. I was just holding fire til I saw it was gonna be fared out and hold a bit. :hug: Run 'er slow, bbl.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Personally, I, don't like too restricted airflow because after a little while it kind of makes me feel all dizzy and seasick complete with headaches and everything, NOT relaxing, and the same applies to using lower than 70 VG juice. But if the airflow is almost not restricted at all, then it also doesn't work for me so with big dual coil builds I generally prefer to put the air holes two thirds of the way open on my (25mm) RDA. For me, a bigger warmer smoother vape is just a means to complement the good flavor with the other important factors that make up a nice comfort zone. It's just a thing about balance. And a flying brick,

The only time you really want to set your airflow very low, is if you want to M2L. Otherwise, you set it high enough to D2L and set the wattage accordingly. I mean, you NEED some air, just to cool the coil and vapor.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The only time you really want to set your airflow very low, is if you want to M2L. Otherwise, you set it high enough to D2L and set the wattage accordingly. I mean, you NEED some air, just to cool the coil and vapor.
I always vape D2L. Using the wide bore drip tip on my 25mm Troll RDA 2 with the air holes set to diagonal it is such a relaxing experience that I find myself vaping all the time and buying more juice instead of coil building.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I always vape D2L. Using the wide bore drip tip on my 25mm Troll RDA 2 with the air holes set to diagonal it is such a relaxing experience that I find myself vaping all the time and buying more juice instead of coil building.

I often try doing similar now on the Goon rdas. Prefer using only one or two of the holes open, morning times are normally only one hole times. Find that unlike smoking I need to warm up / relax down into vaping and once i do it becomes like breathing. This for me is also seemingly akin to well, using something else in a form of b on g. Although, that is only from what I hear of it. ;) :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I often try doing similar now on the Goon rdas. Prefer using only one or two of the holes open, morning times are normally only one hole times. Find that unlike smoking I need to warm up / relax down into vaping and once i do it becomes like breathing. This for me is also seemingly akin to well, using something else in a form of b on g. Although, that is only from what I hear of it. ;) :)
In my Goon RDA there's only a single big alien coil for now, and that is my 2nd and most recent coil build. It's 28 Ni80 / 38 Ni80 with 7 wraps and 3.5mm ID, which ohms out at 0.5 (and was very therapeutical to build... especially the part where I almost fucked it up lol). I found that with this single coil I have to put all three air holes open or else I keep burning my wick despite that the coil is sitting close enough to the holes as well as at the correct height, and despite that there's no cotton underneath the coil. I tried it with only two holes open and lowering the wattage accordingly, but doing that just muted the flavor somewhat... contrary to what I had expected.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In my Goon RDA there's only a single big alien coil for now, and that is my 2nd and most recent coil build. It's 28 Ni80 / 38 Ni80 with 7 wraps and 3.5mm ID, which ohms out at 0.5 (and was very therapeutical to build... especially the part where I almost fucked it up lol). I found that with this single coil I have to put all three air holes open or else I keep burning my wick despite that the coil is sitting close enough to the holes as well as at the correct height, and despite that there's no cotton underneath the coil. I tried it with only two holes open and lowering the wattage accordingly, but doing that just muted the flavor somewhat... contrary to what I had expected.

I don't use the Alien coils, or not yet at least. What I like using is plain dumb old 28 awg Kanthal /A1 on a 3.5mm ID. I like 4-6 wraps on that, it keeps me in the .4-.7 oHm range net for dual coil builds. I have tried winding up my own Claptons using 30 &/or 32 awg around the 28 awg. I can do "meh, okay" on those but i'm no "rock star" in making them up. I also used pre-made Clapton and have used only single builds on the Goon and in the Narda both. I run a single 18650 mod so tend to watch what I'm doing w/ the coils, always try to keep around 20% "head space" on my batteries. I've also used single coils w/ plain dumb old 28 awg for the Narda and had one read .3 oHm once, really do not want to push lower than that as far as my own 'comfort to risk' goes. *chuckling* Slipped up once and had something doing .03 Ohm and had no clue, asked on a forum, posting my build specs. :facepalm::eek: Boy did I get it from a few folks. Figure I'm a lucky fool that did not see a battery vent. That was a dual Clapton build. *chuckling* Said shoo wee dag gone, won't try that again.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't use the Alien coils, or not yet at least. What I like using is plain dumb old 28 awg Kanthal /A1 on a 3.5mm ID. I like 4-6 wraps on that, it keeps me in the .4-.7 oHm range net for dual coil builds. I have tried winding up my own Claptons using 30 &/or 32 awg around the 28 awg. I can do "meh, okay" on those but i'm no "rock star" in making them up. I also used pre-made Clapton and have used only single builds on the Goon and in the Narda both. I run a single 18650 mod so tend to watch what I'm doing w/ the coils, always try to keep around 20% "head space" on my batteries. I've also used single coils w/ plain dumb old 28 awg for the Narda and had one read .3 oHm once, really do not want to push lower than that as far as my own 'comfort to risk' goes. *chuckling* Slipped up once and had something doing .03 Ohm and had no clue, asked on a forum, posting my build specs. :facepalm::eek: Boy did I get it from a few folks. Figure I'm a lucky fool that did not see a battery vent. That was a dual Clapton build. *chuckling* Said shoo wee dag gone, won't try that again.
I only started vaping 11 weeks ago, and that was on a simple pair of fused claptons ohming out at 0.3 in my Troll RDA 2. These coils were built by the shopkeeper at the local vape shop while I was watching him build them using his Avid Artisan Daedalus. They vaped fine on my RX2/3 and so I was happy because they immediately permanently kept me off smoking. But four weeks after that I saw Squidoode build a staple staggered fused clapton on youtube. In this same video, he said they're the flavor chaser's wet dream so that's when I built two of those on 1st try. So my 1st coil build is what I currently still vape on, it's a dual coil 26 Kanthal / 4ply .5x.1 Kanthal ribbon / 36 Ni80 with 5 wraps each and 2.5mm ID ohming out at 0.11 in my 25mm Troll RDA 2. Some say the troll has a chamber that isn't compact enough for it to give excellent flavor. I call BS on that. Almost a year ago OhmBoy Josh reviewed the 40mm Mason RDA. Now, that's a 40mm RDA. I mean, compared to the size of that thing my troll is just a flea... yet nobody AFAIK has ever claimed the flavor on the 40mm Mason RDA is anything short of excellent. I'm no expert at coil building. I have done only two coil builds so far, but I'm a Belgian and I think I know the difference between good taste and bad taste. :cheers:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have done only two coil builds so far, but I'm a Belgian and I think I know the difference between good taste and bad taste. :cheers:

I'll happily take your word on tastes. :) I have a limited sense of taste due to no sense of smell. I know what I like "rough" flavor wise. Yesterday I had 250ml of a juice mixed up. I stumbled onto something really good, far as I am concerned, it is a really fruity type of mix I dub "Nirvana". :D It has some extreme ice menthol and a kiss of etho malto to sweeten it up just a wee bit. There's at least half a dozen different fruit flavors in it but the combo in its balance works out well, at least for me.

Well you run 'er slow over your neck of the woods. :) :hug: We be pondering how to quit all this dang rain here, leastways I am.

VU Sponsors