Become a Patron!

Sub low ohm seems counter productive?

Alphaholic

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am sure this has been asked so I am more likely asking for a link to a thread that covers this but.....

I tend to like higher resistance coils (.6) for when I am out and about because I am using less power and my batteries last longer. When I am home using low ohm (.15) stuff the vapor production isn't greatly increased.
It seems the higher ohm stuff takes less power to heat up the same and no matter what resistance I am using and I find that about 4 volts is where I like to be. What am I missing here? Why is it supposed to be better to see how many watts you can throw at a coil when the main difference I am seeing is battery drain?

What is the point of dropping resistance to achieve the same coil temp?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sure this has been asked so I am more likely asking for a link to a thread that covers this but.....

I tend to like higher resistance coils (.6) for when I am out and about because I am using less power and my batteries last longer. When I am home using low ohm (.15) stuff the vapor production isn't greatly increased.
It seems the higher ohm stuff takes less power to heat up the same and no matter what resistance I am using and I find that about 4 volts is where I like to be. What am I missing here? Why is it supposed to be better to see how many watts you can throw at a coil when the main difference I am seeing is battery drain?

It's not better, just a sales tactic from China that caught on.

Caspervapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Their are sever factors that play a role in this. The design of the rda/rta/rdta/tank. The type of wire and type of coil build. The wick type and amount. The voltage/wattage/cdr and voltage drop.
Also, your intake "technique" and capability.

My current setup is an ipv4 with a limitless plus rdta. I use Do My vtc5a batteries and build is 24g nic80 10 wrap 3mm id dual coil. I run it at 60. That is my sweet spot. I can lower the wattage but, the vape isn' as warm as I prefer. I can put my limitless on my sigelei150 and, due to voltage drop, 60w isn' as warm. I have to turn it up to 70-75w which reduces battery time.
I also like big clouds. I' not a cloud chaser though. I can take the biggest longest hit I'm able too and blow a pretty good cloud. I can hand my mod to a friend and, with no changes, the blow a cloud that has more density and is larger!
*edit* I forgot to also mention airflow and the juice blend play ports in the overall experience too!

Alphaholic

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Their are sever factors that play a role in this. The design of the rda/rta/rdta/tank. The type of wire and type of coil build. The wick type and amount. The voltage/wattage/cdr and voltage drop.
Also, your intake "technique" and capability.

My current setup is an ipv4 with a limitless plus rdta. I use Do My vtc5a batteries and build is 24g nic80 10 wrap 3mm id dual coil. I run it at 60. That is my sweet spot. I can lower the wattage but, the vape isn' as warm as I prefer. I can put my limitless on my sigelei150 and, due to voltage drop, 60w isn' as warm. I have to turn it up to 70-75w which reduces battery time.
I also like big clouds. I' not a cloud chaser though. I can take the biggest longest hit I'm able too and blow a pretty good cloud. I can hand my mod to a friend and, with no changes, the blow a cloud that has more density and is larger!
*edit* I forgot to also mention airflow and the juice blend play ports in the overall experience too!
I might sound a little ignorant here but....Same build, 2 different devices and you need 2 different wattages to achieve the same vape...I just looked these mods up and they seem pretty similar.....where does the voltage drop come from? Just what they are regulated at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Caspervapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You' think their wouldn' be any difference! The sigelei has more voltage drop than the ipv4. Most of the drop comes from the the 510 of the sigelei. I also have a sigelei100 that has not been used it almost 2 years. It had high voltage drop too. My kids knocked the sigelei100 off of a table once and it landed on the tank which messed up the sigeleis 510 threading. I drilled the stock 510 out and put a varitube 510 in. It was a night and day difference! The 100 performed a LOT better with the varitube 510 on it.
On that same topic, a few years ago, my wife was using an istick20. She had a lemo2 with a 28g 3mm id 8 wrap senthal build in it. She vapes around 12 watts. When I got my sigelei 150, she tried the 100. Same build in the lemo2, same wattage and, she said she wouldn' use the istick anylinger because she had better flavor using the sigelei! When I was given the ipv4, I had a better vape than I did with my sigelei150 so, set the 150 aside. My wife wanted something "new" so, she took the 150 LOL I also have a series pwm (adjustable voltage) box that performs better with less voltage drop than the ipv4 but, one of the battery contacts broke so, it sits in a cabinet!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The lower your ohms go the less efficient your vape is. Pretty much.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Here's my take on it. 80 Watts is 80 Watts weather built in series, or parallel. I've been told to look so it as though the devices are tanks. One really late tank, with a huge hole vs 1 one small tank with a smaller hole. The water drains evenly, and are empty at the same time. Now on to voltage drop.. I get it, hybrid connections hit hard, silver contacts reign supreme. What I think your actually feeling is the fact that sigelie runs lower than your ipv4. For the most part regulated mod makers take into account the voltage drop. When you dial in to vape at 100, there put about 105. So your using more wattage to account for voltage drop. Some manufacturers do this better than others.

If this info is incorrect please feel free to correct me. I'm a lifetime student, not a know it all. I'm grateful for anything learned

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Alphaholic

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The lower your ohms go the less efficient your vape is. Pretty much.
This is exactly my point, tho it would be that the vape is more efficient at running power through the coil because it produces less heat. But the inefficiency in the coil is the whole goal, heat gives you vapor! So what is the benefit of a lower ohm coil? It just seems to me that a good tank with a 3.0 ohm coil could run the same at 4 watts as a .1ohm coil at 100 watts or whatever......im just having trouble wrapping my head around it and pretty much the only answer I have found is "because it's better"

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
80 watts is 80 watts however higher mass coils take more watts to heat up. And increased vapor production does not seem to be linear with the increased watts.
Then there is the more clouds = more flavor thing.
Well it is kind of like Taking a tiny bite of chocolate vs a whole mouthful of chocolate milk.
Flavor is the same just more of it due to quantity of chocolate/vapor.
Flavor density though is a lot less in cloud attys vs MTL attys due to the higher volume of air mixed in with the vapor.

Like Zombie not a vape scientist just my observations and opinions.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is exactly my point, tho it would be that the vape is more efficient at running power through the coil because it produces less heat. But the inefficiency in the coil is the whole goal, heat gives you vapor! So what is the benefit of a lower ohm coil? It just seems to me that a good tank with a 3.0 ohm coil could run the same at 4 watts as a .1ohm coil at 100 watts or whatever......im just having trouble wrapping my head around it and pretty much the only answer I have found is "because it's better"

I think that you may be thinking of the flavor density thing that I mentioned above.

Alphaholic

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
80 watts is 80 watts however higher mass coils take more watts to heat up. And increased vapor production does not seem to be linear with the increased watts.
Then there is the more clouds = more flavor thing.
Well it is kind of like Taking a tiny bite of chocolate vs a whole mouthful.
Flavor is the same just more of it due to quantity of chocolate/vapor.
Flavor density though is a lot less in cloud attys vs MTL attys due to the higher volume of air mixed in with the vapor.

Like Zombie not a vape scientist just my observations and opinions.
Observations and opinions are all I need, i have just been curious about this for awhile, only joined to pose that question to you folks, much appreciated

Caspervapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To an extent yes, that is true. In reality though, all parts have to be considered. Type and size of wire in the mod. Type of solder/joinery used. Chipset. 510.
Their are multiple aspects that can and will add resistance to the overall circuit. Any added resistance equals higher voltage drop. In a lit if mods, the highest resistance is usually the 510 which is after the chip therefore, any programmig in the chip may not account for it.
In hind sight though, higher resistance coils that run at lower power usually gave minimal affect fro voltage drop. My sigelei100 was a good example. I came remember the build I ran at the time but, I stayed arondv45 watts. After switching the 510 to a varitube, I dropped to 35 watts.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In hind sight though, higher resistance coils that run at lower power usually gave minimal affect fro voltage drop.
Yep that is basic electronics.
Less amperage thru any resistance = less voltage drop. And the higher the coil resistance the less the amperage.
So a higher ohm coil will cause less device voltage drop or battery voltage sag which really comes into play big time with low resistance builds.
Vaping with a 1 ohm coil on a mech will cause very little voltage sag at all from a good battery.
However with the same battery a .1 ohm build will likely cause the battery voltage to drop a very noticeable amount maybe by 25%?

Caspervapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At the end of the day though, it comes down to the individual vaper and their personal preference. I like a somewhat warm vape with somewhat large clouds from a loose drawl . My wife likes a cool vape from a tight drawl. Manager at the vape shop I used to frequent prefers large clouds and cooler vape.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another consideration is that the higher the current draw is from a battery the lower the actual capacity of the battery is.
If you have say a 3000 mah battery and vape using 5 amps from the battery you will get the full 3000 mah capacity.
But drawing 20 amps from the battery may only give you 2500 mah of capacity.

High powered vaping is just less efficient for several reasons.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At the end of the day though, it comes down to the individual vaper and their personal preference. I like a somewhat warm vape with somewhat large clouds from a loose drawl . My wife likes a cool vape from a tight drawl. Manager at the vape shop I used to frequent prefers large clouds and cooler vape.

Yep it is all about vape preferences.
And all good unless you blow yer face off :huh:

Caspervapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes me think back to the days when I used tubes. .1 builds swapping batteries every hour. Now my daily is .3 swapping battery pairs every 8-10 hours LOL

Caspervapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Even with my series pwm. It was VERY rare that I'd ever run it higher than 50% the few times I did was for videos to post on the companies facebook page. But, the company closed shop and, I no longer use Facebook. I ultimately decided to focus on what safely makes my vape experience enjoyable to me! Nichrome 80 gives me the ramp up speed I prefer. Dual 10 wrap coils give me the amount of cloud I like. 60 watts gives me the flavor and warmth I like. Max vg liquid gives me the throat feel I prefer.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape with SS316L.
I squonk at 25-35 watts and Restricted LH on STM's with RBA at 16-18 watts.
Have tried up to around 60-75 watts. Not for me.
3 yr vaper btw who started on cigalikes.

some mech users claim to be vaping 120 watts on a single battery tube mech.
Once battery voltage sag is figured in it is more like 80 watts.

VU Sponsors