Become a Patron!

Sub-Ohm iJoy Captain + Smoant Charon Adjustable 218, need help

Hi everybody, it's my first post and I don't know a lot about vaping. Same story as everybody, needed to quit smoking, etc. I have some important questions and I researched a lot but nothing was precise enough for me.

Here is what I bought:

Atomizer: Sub-Ohm iJoy Captain with a 0.25 Ω coil
Battery case: Smoant Charon Adjustable 218 (There's two versions, I got the one with a little mech knob)
Batteries: 2 IMR 18650 2600MaH 3.7 V
Juice: 80 / 20 VG - 9 mg nicotine

Here are my questions:

Is it safe? My atomizer gets really hot, almost can't touch it so I stop vaping after 5-6 puffs, scared of horror stories.My knob is at like 1.5 on 5. I tried to understand ohm law and everything but, I don't know the real power of my batteries and everything. On the battery case, it says 218 watts output, but what does it mean? How do I use this information? I would like to try it on 5 to see what it's like but I'm afraid that it will explode since I don't know anything.

How could it feel more "powerful"?
My friend told me that my "set-up" is pretty powerful, but I sometimes try really cheap build and the puff gets really fast in my mouth, it's like it's pushing almost in my mouth to get out of the atomizer, but in my set-up, I need to really inhale strongly and I don't feel a lot of vapor. I feel that my lungs are empty of the taste and vapor even after I took the biggest hit I could take.

What are the limits?
Getting above 0.25 ohms should be safe but until what point, considering my "power output"? And to what point could I go lower than that?

Are dry puffs caused by my set-up or by my coil? I've been smoking only 3 mg nicotine juice with it and I would have dry puffs very often, even if I let my coil soak in the juice for 15 minutes and take only one puff at the time. Should I just change my coil more often or is my damage output the responsible?

I know I have a lot of questions and I don't force anyone to answer, these are my interrogations, so feel free to help a noob in need of an expert! Thanks and see you soon.

logdawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Smoant has the potentiometer, just increase for a stronger hit. This mod has safety built in. I use it with a 0.12 build. The lowest it will take is a 0.1. I use this mod with RDTA's and RDA's It has Low Resistance Protection (it won't fire under 0.1) Reverse Polarity Protection (won't fire if batteries are in wrong) Overheating Protection (won't fire for more than 10 seconds)

Sorry can't help with the tank, I haven't used one in a while. Hope that helps.

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
not familiar with the tank or the mod but I will give the dry hits problem a shot lol. Are you doing 5-6 puffs in a row? if so then thats why you are getting dry hit, you are not allowing the coil to wick the juice, instead of 5-6 hits in a row try one or two long hits then set it down for 5 minutes or more and see if that cures the dry hit issue.

welcome to VU and vaping, you have entered the rabbit hole of fun

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sub ohm tanks to get hot, especially really low resistance coils. My baby beast does it but it sounds like you've not primed your coil properly or that you may have a dud coil.

By the way IMR aren't good batteries, use Sony, LG or Samsung. I noticed no one said anything.

You might wanna try a lower wattage too and also change the strength

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Btw I used to use an ijoy captain tank and mine got pretty hot too. Some do. It's incredibly discomforting and that's why I now vape with different tanks. The athos is bad for it too.

With the right setup you can get good clouds at 40-80 watts

VU Sponsors