Sub Ohm Newbie - Need Battery Advice

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for checking out this thread - much appreciated! :D

I have an Orchid v4 RDTA Clone and a variety of mech mods.

So far, I've been building my coils between 0.5 to 0.6Ω in my Orchid and it's wonderful. This allows me to safely use almost every battery I have.
  • MXJO Yellow 18650 3.7 2500MaH 35A
  • Powder Blue 18650 3.7V 2500MaH (B&M Guy said they're good for sub-ohming)
  • Sony VTC5 Dark Green 3.7V 2600MaH (Seem to die REALLY fast, not sure if they're real Sony)

Anyhow... I want to build a coil at 0.2-0.3Ω (just for shits and gigs). I want to see if I like it but I don't want to blow up or lose my face.

Obviously, REAL Sony VTC4 or VTC5's are the cat's meow, they're just virtually impossible to find and there are fakes EVERYWHERE...

Is there a battery that I can go buy somewhere online right now, in stock, that would essentially allow me to build any coil I want? If so, can someone please provide me with a few options and indicate your favorite?

Are the purple Efest's any good?

Thanks ladies and gents!

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well Bart, I'll put in what I've found out myself, seeing how not too many have responded to your thread, or mine about batteries, & that is the Keeppower batteries would be just fine for the ohms you are wanting to try. I've been looking at them for awhile, and I decided to just do some research on them today. Without posting a bunch of headache causing figures, I found out that the 2x Keeppower IMR 18650 2500mAh 35A High Drain Rechargeable Battery - FLAT TOPS would work just fine.

I've ordered some for myself, but I don't build that low, I'm a flavor junkie, & I use a Vulcan rda mounted on a Fuhattan mod, & my coils are mostly in the ranges of 0.4Ω to 0.6Ω. From what I have read, & from experience, the Efest batteries are pure shit. They never did last any length of time, & just gave me poor performance. I've had good experience with AW's & MNKE's, & really good performance from Samsungs.

I hope this helps you in your decision, I was just offering my opinion as to what I thought was a good sub-ohm battery for the 0.2 to 0.3 range you were speaking about. And for what it's worth, with my Samsung 20A 18650's, I get about 8 hours of use out of them. So I'm hoping that the Keeppower 18650 35A batteries are just as good, if not a bit better. Have a good one...:)

Last edited:

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the response!

Oh thats really low, lol. Im looking more at 0.2 or 0.3, not .02 or .03. Does that change what you contributed?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The KeepPower is a rewrapped Lg HE2 20a continuous rated at 35a pulse. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/30254
The MXJO may well be the same cell.
If the Sony's are dying fast whether fakes or not I'd get them out of the rotation.
The blue ones COULD be Samsung's - or not - you'd need to have the B&M guy clarify just what he sold you.
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the response!

Oh thats really low, lol. Im looking more at 0.2 or 0.3, not .02 or .03. Does that change what you contributed?
Bart, sorry dude, I put the decimal in the wrong spot. I meant to say 0.2 & 0.3. Guess I was typing too fast...

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The KeepPower is a rewrapped Lg HE2 20a continuous rated at 35a pulse. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/30254
The MXJO may well be the same cell.
If the Sony's are dying fast whether fakes or not I'd get them out of the rotation.
The blue ones COULD be Samsung's - or not - you'd need to have the B&M guy clarify just what he sold you.
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp
So, I'm assuminng the Keeppower is a really decent battery to use.....I went to your site and looked at the charts, & from all aspects, it seems to be one of the better performing batteries. I never run my Samsungs down any lower than 3.5...

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The KeepPower should be fine depending on the build. Many people are quite happy with their LGHE2 cells. Just keep in mind that they are 20a cells. The link to the review was to confirm that that is the cell used as they state that it contains an HE2 cell. The link to the Ohms law calculator is for figuring the amps drawn by whatever resistance builds. I have a couple of the Samsung 25R's and have been happy with them so far but I don't really build anything low enough to stress them. I personally wouldn't take amp ratings at face value as many are promoted or even labeled at pulse ratings which can vary based on how that number was arrived at.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use Efest 2500mah 35a batteries on my mech, my coils are .2 - .4 and I vape all day, each battery gives me 3.5 to 4.5 hours of vaping, I currently have only 3 batteries and end up using 4 batteries each day. ( having to charge my first one of the day in order to use as my last one for the day) I have done a lot of battery research and the only batteries I intend on purchasing are these efest and a few subohmcells to try. Not even interested in Sony VTC's myself, to many fakes going around now for double the price and they are less amp per mah rating anyways. Some people say efest 35a are shit, I think they are just not using the appropriate efest battery for the job....efest 35a 2500mah, purple wrappers, great power, great price, greater availability.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The KeepPower should be fine depending on the build. Many people are quite happy with their LGHE2 cells. Just keep in mind that they are 20a cells. The link to the review was to confirm that that is the cell used as they state that it contains an HE2 cell. The link to the Ohms law calculator is for figuring the amps drawn by whatever resistance builds. I have a couple of the Samsung 25R's and have been happy with them so far but I don't really build anything low enough to stress them. I personally wouldn't take amp ratings at face value as many are promoted or even labeled at pulse ratings which can vary based on how that number was arrived at.
pulse rating for batteries is anything under 60 seconds of draw....you better not be taking in over a minute on draw anyways, thats disaster waiting to happen, on your mod and your bod.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I picked up 2 purples. I found out though, my powder blues are in fact Samsungs and quite capable of 0.2. I was also told that my MXJOs are fine at 0.2, as well.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
pulse rating for batteries is anything under 60 seconds of draw....you better not be taking in over a minute on draw anyways, thats disaster waiting to happen, on your mod and your bod.
Pulse rate tests vary in resistance, load length and rest time. Continuous is pretty much uniform. When that switch gets stuck or you forgot to lock it and it's in your pocket continuous is the one I want to know. I'll pass on builds that rely on pulse ratings to cover the load thanks.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pulse rate tests vary in resistance, load length and rest time. Continuous is pretty much uniform. When that switch gets stuck or you forgot to lock it and it's in your pocket continuous is the one I want to know. I'll pass on builds that rely on pulse ratings to cover the load thanks.
well, irresponsibility is irresponsibility no matter how you look at it.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think I will be fine at 0.3...That shouldnt stress it too much and any lower will be too warm for me anyway.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use Efest 2500mah 35a batteries on my mech, my coils are .2 - .4 and I vape all day, each battery gives me 3.5 to 4.5 hours of vaping, I currently have only 3 batteries and end up using 4 batteries each day. ( having to charge my first one of the day in order to use as my last one for the day) I have done a lot of battery research and the only batteries I intend on purchasing are these efest and a few subohmcells to try. Not even interested in Sony VTC's myself, to many fakes going around now for double the price and they are less amp per mah rating anyways. Some people say efest 35a are shit, I think they are just not using the appropriate efest battery for the job....efest 35a 2500mah, purple wrappers, great power, great price, greater availability.
Well, Celtic, based on your information, I may have gotten & passed on some bad information. I believe I will try a couple of those batteries you spoke about, and see what kind of performance I get from them. I'm not beyond saying I was wrong when I'm shown I was wrong....

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, Celtic, based on your information, I may have gotten & passed on some bad information. I believe I will try a couple of those batteries you spoke about, and see what kind of performance I get from them. I'm not beyond saying I was wrong when I'm shown I was wrong....
gotten and passed on bad information?? what information, let me know so I don't continue to pass out bad information, please.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
gotten and passed on bad information?? what information, let me know so I don't continue to pass out bad information, please.
no, not you, I got bad information from another source. And I thought that person was giving me good info, so I passed it on. But it was wrong, and so was I. Not you Celtic.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ah ok, i have been known to blow it once in a while, just wanted to make sure i wasn't tanking one for a good member here lol. You will love the efest 35a if your thinking about grabbing one.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I picked up 2 purples. I found out though, my powder blues are in fact Samsungs and quite capable of 0.2. I was also told that my MXJOs are fine at 0.2, as well.
I just want to note that all these 20A batteries you speak of are NOT "quite capable of 0.2ohms" 0.2ohms on a fully charged battery = 21 Amps

This is really pushing the limits of what these cells are designed to withstand. Please be safe.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just want to note that all these 20A batteries you speak of are NOT "quite capable of 0.2ohms" 0.2ohms on a fully charged battery = 21 Amps

This is really pushing the limits of what these cells are designed to withstand. Please be safe.
Yeah, but I am also not taking 10 sec pulls. I just built a 4 wrap 22ga on a 3mm rod that came out at about 0.23 and the batteries aren't even getting warm. The purples actually seem to work the best. I figured the VTC5s would be the motherload...

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I rotate 2 Efest purple 35a 2500mah and 2 sony vtc4 2100mah batteries. My builds hover between .15 and .3 ohm.
I have to say, the Efests beat the vtc4 in vape time (4-5hrs efest and 3-4 vtc4 at my normal vape speeds, 5ml a day), but the vtcs win for initial 'slam' between 4.2 and 4 volts. The efest are more consistent between 4.2 and 3.8 volts, where the vtcs drop off faster.
Just my unscientific, highly biased opinion.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I rotate 2 Efest purple 35a 2500mah and 2 sony vtc4 2100mah batteries. My builds hover between .15 and .3 ohm.
I have to say, the Efests beat the vtc4 in vape time (4-5hrs efest and 3-4 vtc4 at my normal vape speeds, 5ml a day), but the vtcs win for initial 'slam' between 4.2 and 4 volts. The efest are more consistent between 4.2 and 3.8 volts, where the vtcs drop off faster.
Just my unscientific, highly biased opinion.
Well now, the Efests are looking better all the time. I need more vape time, so I am impressed with that. Got 4 Efest coming, should be here Wednesday of this week, so I feel I did a good thing by getting them...:)

VU Sponsors