Become a Patron!

Sub ohm tanks

Okay so I'm new here so i dunno how to do this, hopefully i figure it out.

So I've been vaping for a little over a year now and made the switch to sub ohm vaping 9 months ago and I've had problems with my tanks, no matter what tank I've used.

Let me explain my problem: so I don't vape very often, usually only at work or while driving, so my tanks sit with juice in them for days before i need to refill. Most of the time, my juice will start to flood the coil and slowly darken in color (i have perfectly clear juice 99% of the time) and it will happen even on a fresh coil. Between the two tanks I've used: the aspire atlantis and the joyetech ultimo (the one I'm using now) I've had this problem with both of them; the coil will flood and the juice will be yellow only after two days of sitting (by which i mean not refilling). The only solution I've found is overtightening the parts of the tank which has it's own suit of problems.

Any help with this? The only solution i can think of is emptying the tank when I'm not using it which I'd rather not do but if i have to i will. And if anything i said doesn't make sense I'll clarify should i need to

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Over-tightening can cause leaking as well, and has no effect on juice discoloration.

That's due to warm temps, and exposure to air (tanks aren't "airtight"), and usually takes a bit more time.
Are you leaving the mods in a warm vehicle?

Either way... over the course of just a few days, and without more data about which juices... it doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about. You'd be surprised at the ages (and hues) of some of the old juices I've still enjoyed (other folks have done the same, I suspect. ;) ).

Over-tightening can cause leaking as well, and has no effect on juice discoloration.

That's due to warm temps, and exposure to air (tanks aren't "airtight"), and usually takes a bit more time.
Are you leaving the mods in a warm vehicle?

Either way... over the course of just a few days, and without more data about which juices... it doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about. You'd be surprised at the ages (and hues) of some of the old juices I've still enjoyed (other folks have done the same, I suspect. ;) ).

I figured it was just exposure to air, i just was wondering if there was a way to remedy it other than overtightening (which I've stopped doing as it is more trouble to deal with than it's worth). And no, i keep my tanks attached to my mod which stays in a drawer in the headboard of my bed when I'm not using it. And is the flooding/leaking just a cause of it sitting as well? The juices i use are usually 70vg/30pg and i use 0mg if that helps at all.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figured it was just exposure to air, i just was wondering if there was a way to remedy it other than overtightening (which I've stopped doing as it is more trouble to deal with than it's worth). And no, i keep my tanks attached to my mod which stays in a drawer in the headboard of my bed when I'm not using it. And is the flooding/leaking just a cause of it sitting as well? The juices i use are usually 70vg/30pg and i use 0mg if that helps at all.

Well, the 0 nic confuses things a bit... it's usually the major culprit.
And light was the other variable I forgot about... sunlight bad ;)

So that's color... still not sure there's an issue to be concerned about yet.
How drastic is the yellowing within just a few days? And what juices are doing this?

Leaking though... that's a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

Some designs are sensitive to, and prone to, damaging o-rings if not assembled exactly right.
70/30 is thick enough that a very slow leak will take a day and change to make a puddle.
We often don't have them sitting around that way, so it appears to be just an annoying, continuous leak.
And occasionally a design will have an incompletely seated press-fit of the body and coil/510 sections.
Either way... a slow leak is usually either a design fault, or a torn, damaged or unseated o-ring.

Or missing altogether... some interior rings are loosely fit and get lost while rinsing out a tank.
Sometimes the first wash... before even seeing that one belongs there. :mad:

But I don't have either of those tanks, so hopefully someone who does will come along with some advice.

Last edited:
Well, the 0 nic confuses things a bit... it's usually the major culprit.
And light was the other variable I forgot about... sunlight bad ;)

So that's color... still not sure there's an issue to be concerned about yet.
How drastic is the yellowing within just a few days? And what juices are doing this?

Leaking though... that's a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

Some designs are sensitive to, and prone to, damaging o-rings if not assembled exactly right.
70/30 is thick enough that a very slow leak will take a day and change to make a puddle.
We often don't have them sitting around that way, so it appears to be just an annoying, continuous leak.
And occasionally a design will have an incompletely seated press-fit of the body and coil/510 sections.
Either way... a slow leak is usually either a design fault, or a torn, damaged or unseated o-ring.

Or missing altogether... some interior rings are loosely fit and get lost while rinsing out a tank.
Sometimes the first wash... before even seeing that one belongs there (where ever). :mad:

But I don't have either of those tanks, so hopefully someone who does will come along with some advice.

It has been almost every juice I've had. The yellowing is usually very gradual, it takes at least 2 days to be noticable (i did have a bottle of sweet tarts that turned a deep orange in only hours)

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It has been almost every juice I've had. The yellowing is usually very gradual, it takes at least 2 days to be noticable (i did have a bottle of sweet tarts that turned a deep orange in only hours)

Hmmm.
No... you got me.

I have tanks that sit for months with no serious discoloration of my often clear (or nearly so) DIYs.

I'm sorry, for the moment... I got nothin'. :confused:

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Discoloring of juices is normal, especially if in contact with light, not just sun light that would just make it worse/faster. Same effect when kept Iin the dark but at a slower pace. Now normally a juice discolors because of the nicotine coming in contact with light, air and/or both. However I've noticed it with some of my 0mg nicotine juices as well after some time, mostly the extreme sweet,tabacco or heavy dessert ones, not so much with the plain fruit, menthol or less sweetened ones. Now I'm no scientist and not sure why that's exactly caused but there's nothing to worry about, the moment however it turns dark brown/black or extreme dark amber, I wouldn't vape it anymore lol.

To prevent that somewhat, as well as the leakage you can either take a drag once a day or every other one, before putting it back or put the tank in a zip lock bag or/and Tupperware container and close the lid, store in a cool dark place. Make sure you don't close the tanks airflow, while some tanks don't mind it others, specially smok tend to leak even more when not being used. Give it a try and see if that changes anything.

Discoloring of juices is normal, especially if in contact with light, not just sun light that would just make it worse/faster. Same effect when kept Iin the dark but at a slower pace. Now normally a juice discolors because of the nicotine coming in contact with light, air and/or both. However I've noticed it with some of my 0mg nicotine juices as well after some time, mostly the extreme sweet,tabacco or heavy dessert ones, not so much with the plain fruit, menthol or less sweetened ones. Now I'm no scientist and not sure why that's exactly caused but there's nothing to worry about, the moment however it turns dark brown/black or extreme dark amber, I wouldn't vape it anymore lol.

To prevent that somewhat, as well as the leakage you can either take a drag once a day or every other one, before putting it back or put the tank in a zip lock bag or/and Tupperware container and close the lid, store in a cool dark place. Make sure you don't close the tanks airflow, while some tanks don't mind it others, specially smok tend to leak even more when not being used. Give it a try and see if that changes anything.
Thank you for the help!

Ok, so I have a smok g150 with a big baby beast and my coil is increasing by 2-3 degrees celsius each time i hit it. Is this normal?

VU Sponsors