Become a Patron!

Sub ohm vaping 1st timer !

Hey guys I'm giving vaping another shot (2 weeks of cigs)...and the guy at the vape shop sold me a sweet mini box ipv D2 and recommended .5 coils so I went with them but honestly I can't find the right vg mix or right amount of watts to run at. It's getting me frustrated because I'm not sure wether it's the few drops of menthol I have them add or if I should be running something other than 75/25 on the vg...higher wattage?? HELPPPP

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU!

So what problem are you having? Which tank are you using on the IPV D2, what resistance are the coils, and what wattage have you set?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not enough clouds?

Clouds are ok I think I just found the sweet spot at 28W but I'm not getting any flavor at all...most times it's either burning or not pulling enough....I'm using the crown tank...maybe it's an issue with my liquid ?

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
Clouds are ok I think I just found the sweet spot at 28W but I'm not getting any flavor at all...most times it's either burning or not pulling enough....I'm using the crown tank...maybe it's an issue with my liquid ?
28 watts on a .5ohm crown coil? not even close to stretching those legs, that thing wont really start hitting till 40+ watts.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Zr0 - not nearly enough watts to get the most out of the 0.5 coil. I run mine at least 50 watts! 28 watts barely gets it to even fire! If it's burning you probably haven't given it quite enough priming:

I know that's what I thought !!...the second I bump it up past 35 it really starts just burning, not pleasurable or flavorful whatsoever...fluid issue ?? I run 75/25 3mg nic with a few drops of menthol.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know that's what I thought !!...the second I bump it up past 35 it really starts just burning, not pleasurable or flavorful whatsoever...fluid issue ?? I run 75/25 3mg nic with a few drops of menthol.

I run mine at 85% VG. Watch the video above, and prime it slowly.

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
I'm going to assume it's literally a brand new coil. For some odd reason Crown coils taste like complete ass till they break in a bit, usually about half a tank in the booty taste starts to fade. Follow that video posted above, take puffs and prime the coil, don't inhale for the break in process.

oh yeah, and have a soda or kool-aid handy...like I said those new coils taste booty-licious ;)

EDIT: I also tend to put a small hole through the wick with a very small needle in all juice ports on my Crown coils.

Loving all this feedback...I know for a fact I haven't been priming the coils correctly now. It doesn't taste half bad at 45 now but still pretty hot, any higher than that it's super hot almost unbearable...do you think with the coil primed the right way I'd be able to run it up by the 50 range without that insane amount of heat ??

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
Loving all this feedback...I know for a fact I haven't been priming the coils correctly now. It doesn't taste half bad at 45 now but still pretty hot, any higher than that it's super hot almost unbearable...do you think with the coil primed the right way I'd be able to run it up by the 50 range without that insane amount of heat ??
Make sure you got the airflow wide open, then yes for sure. I typically vape my Crown .5's at 50-60 watts depending on the juice. Also maybe try drawing a little harder. I found that drawing slowly was just hot torture (not saying suck the life out of it lol)

Just start out low with the watts, and bump it up a couple of watts at a time till you find your sweet spot.

Also: Look around and read up around here. It's a great source and there is someone here who can answer just about any quesiton vaping related! I also had the same issue with my Crown when I got it, the priming made a world of difference.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
Welcome to VU... You found the right place to ask questions :)

Hey guys been going strong with all the tips and help here just wondering if my uwell crown tank can handle 50/50 blend because the guys at my vape shop said I couldn't...any help is appreciated !

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys been going strong with all the tips and help here just wondering if my uwell crown tank can handle 50/50 blend because the guys at my vape shop said I couldn't...any help is appreciated !

I haven't tried it, but all you can do is to give it a try! I can't see why it wouldn't. In fact, that makes no sense at all - load some up!

It used to be that many tanks couldn't handle high VG, not the other way around.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
PG is much more fluid, it soaks into coils quicker, VG is thicker and soaks in slower. A 50/50 should be more than sufficient for a Crown Coil or any of the newer tanks. The length at which you take a vape makes a difference as well. If you take a long pull you'll likely get some burning. But also, if you're new to it, you might feel burning. I have an uncle who's been smoking for years, he swears that vaping is harsher than cigarettes, I honestly don't completely understand but I think it' that he takes a long deep pull of his cigarette. As you vape you'll consume all the juice, once the juice is gone you're just burning cotton which is harsh indeed. 2-3s is normal, take a 4+s pull and you'll likely be burning up cotton. There's only so much juice flow into the coil. So that's something to consider.

a .5Ω coil should be around 40-60w to get a pleasurable vape from( given a solid juice flow terminal which the crown has), you can go more or less, but that's about the ideal range IMO. More you'll encounter that burnt taste sooner, less and maybe not enough out of the coil. If you want a deeper hit try setting it to 30w and go from there, you won't get much to start but by the end you'll get a nice vape.

PG is also a bit harsher on the throat in general, though it's a bit more of what you're used to. VG has a higher boiling temperature, PG a lower one, but PG hits the throat harder than VG. so there's some wiggle room as far as preference. Your tank can certainly handle 50/50, the question is only if you can.

TLDR: the longer you hold the button the more heat will be produced and the less juice left in your wick, once you're out of juice you'll start to burn the cotton/whatever. You'll also get more of a throat irritation with PG rather than VG though you get more Vapor from VG. Consider these things and please get back to us, maybe we can help further. 1-3s is a normal hit in power mode (at that resistance), beyond that and with tanks you're going to likely encounter some burning. My inititial thought is look at the higher resistance coil the 1.2Ω may suit you better.

VU Sponsors