Become a Patron!

Sub ohm vaping- for me or not?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, hope your doing OK.

I spoke to a shop on the phone yesterday, and they explained the mod box and battery I am buying does something called 'sub ohming' which the man on the end of the phone kept talking about, and seemed fond of.

My limited understanding of it is that it is vaping using a coil below 1 ohm. This produces more smoke, and more flavour he said.

If it gives me a lot more flavour, that could well be what I am after. But if It is just to provide huge clouds, it's not for me( Not that I don't like huge clouds, I am doing this for enjoyment of flavour and to maybe learn a few tricks, but not cloud competitions).

He recommended to me something called a nautilus tank, which was pretty dear so for the first few weeks I'l have to use my protank with my new box, before I order a new head ( I will order the Box(cloupor mini 30w) battery and extra coils for my protank next weekend, the upgraded tank will be bought a few weeks after on my next payday as the above costs me just over £60, and I had set a limit of around 50-60 pounds).

So, what are your views on this?

PS: On A side note, I am not the best with forums. Who are the mods around here as there is something I would like to talk to them about through PM.

Regards, Conan.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a mod, and in answer to your Sub olm question, read around about it here first, there is a lot to consider and you really should know what your doing before diving into that type of vaping , look at what you want out of vaping and ask yourself if you want a warmer vape and clouds or are you happy with a simple set up, and foremost its important to know what your doing and the safety factors with sub olm'ing, too many times shop owners try to talk new vapers into set ups they know nothing about, just to make extra bucks on the set ups. So do your homework and ask questions about it before hand, Good luck:)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome to the Underground!

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

One suggestion I would make is that instead of the Clouper Mini you give some serious consideration to the Sigelei 30 Watt Mini.

http://101vape.com/36-variable-voltagewattage-devices

And some batteries to go with it.

http://101vape.com/batteries-chargers/267-lg-18650he2-35a-2500mah-.html

Sadly, the Clouper Mini 30 Watt has a history of melting down or even catching fire when you charge it via the USB cord. I don't know if they have fixed this but it is not a bet I would care to make.

I have had my Sigelei Mini for a couple of months now, works great and at night I just plug it in and it is fully charged and ready to go the next morning,

As far as SubOhming goes, that is a big craze right now especially with the cloud chasing crowd.

Sure, some of my builds are under the 1.0 ohm mark but I have been at this for a while. Don't let anyone push you into something you are not ready for.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sub ohm'ing is not for everyone.

Most of the hip vape shops around will push it and if you are not doing it they have an attitude that you are vaping wrong. :eek:

It's not really for me. Heck when I started vaping in 2009 3ohms was considered low and if you were vaping at 5v or above you were considered hard core! Back then, people had to stack batteries to get above 5v and that caused plenty of devices to go kaboom!

If you want to sub ohm, then as stated above, make sure you know what you are doing. It's much safer these days but lets be honest here, you are putting what could be a pipe bomb to your face.. Knowledge and safety are your friends..

I am happy vaping at about 1.2 - 1,5'ish ohms. It's not popular these days but it works for me. Are you wanting to blow massive fog machine'esk clouds or are you wanting flavor?

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I bought into the sub ohm craze. It isn't for me though. I just don't get the hype. I like my 1.2 coils way better than the .5's. Just my 2 cents. I like flavor way more than clouds.

Het

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm relatively new to vaping. I started out with the normal beginner, cheap 'junk', and soon moved on to the better equipment, which oddly cost about the same as the cheap stuff, but was much better quality. I was intrigued by all the sub ohm talk. 'It's the only way to go' type stuff. I bought a mod and a tank worthy of doing so, tried it for a week, and didn't get what the big draw was. I am more than content with vaping at 10-15 watts with both my stcok built and home built coils.

One of my first 'better purchases' was a Nautilus tank and a mvp20. I thought it was the way to go. I bought two more Nautilus tanks and a couple more mods, including a eleaf istick20 and another eleaf istick50, which I figured I'd use to test the sub ohming waters. I soon started mixing my own juices (50/50), because I was tired of the 5-$7 10ml juice bottles. I'm extremely glad I started mixing my own juice, and honestly can't see how everyone doesn't do it. I then purchased a Sub Tank and a Lemo but found nothing but burnt tasting juice when I tried anything above 10-11 watts. Finally, getting frustrated, I mixed some 75/25 juice, and was in heaven. Much better flavor, and I started getting nice, fluffy clouds worthy of a youtube video. Nice. I also found that the Aspire Nautilus tanks to get very brittle after a few weeks. I ended up cracking and shattering two of them within a couple days. Seems that no matter how 'snug' you make them after filling, they tighten up drastically with use. Don't know why, but all three of mine did. I bought the stainless steel tank doohickies, and haven't had a problem since. I've learned a bit since, and am making my own coils, right around 1-1.2 ohms, and pushing 24 watts with the Subtank, and 18 watts with the Lemo. I also purchased an istick30, which, in my opinion, is an incredible deal at $30. Paired with the Lemo tank, it gives great flavor and semi impressive clouds.

If I were doing it all over, and knew then what I know now, I'd skip right over the Nautilus tanks, and go right for the Lemo and the istick30 right out the gate.

Sorry for the rambling. Just trying to pass on what little I've found out in the last couple of months.

When I stepped up beyond the beginner stuff I bought an iStick 20w and an Aspire Nautilus which I love. Great flavor, big tank so I didn't have to fill it often. My wife loved it and took it.

I decided to try subbing and got an iStick 50 with an Arctic sub. Good flavor (not great) but was burning through several tanks of juice a day.

Found the perfect middle ground. Got a Kanger sub, use the 1.2 coils at 15 to 18w with the medium airflow. Great flavor, economical and still capable of decent clouds. The clouds are not a priority but I will admit, they are entertaining.

Sent From My Droid Maxx

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Lemo is definitely not for beginners, since it has an RBA base!

A nautilus and a sieglei 50 watt is a great suggestion. Sub-ohming is something you may or may not want to explore later on, but for now I'd keep it simple - and enjoy!

If you buy from a brick and mortar you will likely pay at least twice (and often more) as you would if you bought from a reputable seller online.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My local vape shops are all very comparable to online prices. Maybe a few $$ more but not by much. I always choose to support a local businesses 1st and online 2nd as long as the local spot is not overly priced, which in my case they are not.

All of the local shops here only carry authentic gear (yay no clones) so maybe that's why the prices 'look' higher than an online clone (boo clones)..

Het

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Lemo is definitely not for beginners, since it has an RBA base!

True, it is a rebuildable base, but comes already coiled and wicked. I forgot about that point. The Subtank is both rebuildable and comes with pre-built coils, as well. Both of which will outlast many coils, and give better flavor than a Nautilus. There's nothing wrong with a Nautilus, don't get me wrong.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My local vape shops are all very comparable to online prices. Maybe a few $$ more but not by much. I always choose to support a local businesses 1st and online 2nd as long as the local spot is not overly priced, which in my case they are not.

All of the local shops here only carry authentic gear (yay no clones) so maybe that's why the prices 'look' higher than an online clone (boo clones)..

Last time I went into a B&M store I was prepared to pay a bit more for an IPV mini - not the 70 watt version, just the 30 watt version. Retail I think was 59.99 and you could get them for about $10 less online. The B&M wanted $110 ....I said were the sure this wasn't the 70 watt version, but it was not. I would happily support a B&M if their prices weren't so ridiculously inflated.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Last time I went into a B&M store I was prepared to pay a bit more for an IPV mini - not the 70 watt version, just the 30 watt version. Retail I think was 59.99 and you could get them for about $10 less online. The B&M wanted $110 ....I said were the sure this wasn't the 70 watt version, but it was not. I would happily support a B&M if their prices weren't so ridiculously inflated.
Don't blame you a bit and if that's their prices they probably won't be around for long..

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, hope your doing OK.

I spoke to a shop on the phone yesterday, and they explained the mod box and battery I am buying does something called 'sub ohming' which the man on the end of the phone kept talking about, and seemed fond of.

My limited understanding of it is that it is vaping using a coil below 1 ohm. This produces more smoke, and more flavour he said.

If it gives me a lot more flavour, that could well be what I am after. But if It is just to provide huge clouds, it's not for me( Not that I don't like huge clouds, I am doing this for enjoyment of flavour and to maybe learn a few tricks, but not cloud competitions).

He recommended to me something called a nautilus tank, which was pretty dear so for the first few weeks I'l have to use my protank with my new box, before I order a new head ( I will order the Box(cloupor mini 30w) battery and extra coils for my protank next weekend, the upgraded tank will be bought a few weeks after on my next payday as the above costs me just over £60, and I had set a limit of around 50-60 pounds).

So, what are your views on this?

PS: On A side note, I am not the best with forums. Who are the mods around here as there is something I would like to talk to them about through PM.

Regards, Conan.

Personally (there will be some who disagree) I think sub-ohming is best done with a temp control mod. Tell the man you want an authentic DNA40 chip in your mod, or maybe a Yihi chip (be sure that the chip passes the dry cotton burn test). Temp mods are cheaper now...about $100 US. After the mod, you can choose a subtank with Ni200 coils, or you can choose an RTA and build your own coils with 28 gauge Ni200 wire.
Or you can forget the entire business, and satisfy yourself with "above ohming".................

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am a mod, and in answer to your Sub olm question, read around about it here first, there is a lot to consider and you really should know what your doing before diving into that type of vaping , look at what you want out of vaping and ask yourself if you want a warmer vape and clouds or are you happy with a simple set up, and foremost its important to know what your doing and the safety factors with sub olm'ing, too many times shop owners try to talk new vapers into set ups they know nothing about, just to make extra bucks on the set ups. So do your homework and ask questions about it before hand, Good luck:)

Thank you for this. In all honesty what I want is the best flavour first, clouds come second but I would like enough to be able to perform some tricks ( I am on zero nic as I don't smoke, do doing no damage I can see so thought why not.

I really do want the Cloupor mini with variable wattate/voltage, and I'm used to LIPO batteries from when I was into rc helis( Some of these batteries were HUUUUGE lipos, large enough to fly a 7 foot + helicopter that weighs a good 4-5 kilos and will easily remove your head if you crash into yourself. Unfortunately we lost a few people on that forum that way, and also heard stories of kids parents buying them thinking a real single rotor heli is a toy with devestating consequences. You have blades with say a five ft diameter doing around 500 RPM, they are not light and will remove body parts) so know LIPO safety, I just need to learn some more on the vaping side( Coil building and such if I get into that).

I live in the UK unfortunately Uncle RJ, and I do really like the look of the cloupor device, but everyone has left great reviews on the cloupor, and I haven't heard any stories of any setting fire in the UK (Could of happened, but can happen with any LIPO battery, even the best can fail unfortuneately, its just less likely with quality batteries and safe charging).

So, mainly taste, thicker vapour, and becuase I want to be able to do extra things if I want to, such as sub ohming in the future, and feel it is a box that can either be used standard, or grow with me as I learn more.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
fles
I can get some big clouds out of my little E-Grips. Just sayin'!

Yeah I can get OK clouds out of my current setup, but to be honest, Everyone enjoys buying things, and in this instance seeing as I don't use NIC I want to try this out to see if I can get the best possible flavour.
Im also buying it just to buy an upgrade, if you understand? Just want to be able to experience something different, I haven't got any vices so If I used drugs or smoked, I would easily spend that money in a week for the box, battery, and 5 coils for my protank ( I will be using my protank at first, then second payday get a good tank, I can't buy them all at once due to cost) so it's not actually that much really I am spending, £60 in total, around £20 or so for a good tank when I get one.

I'm using the protank mini II for now.

Last edited:

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We all come off as a kid in a candy store when we first found vaping
but you come at it like you're killing snakes and some of us like snakes. :D

Just take your time, enjoy your vape, sit back, watch, wait and learn.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We all come off as a kid in a candy store when we first found vaping
but you come at it like you're killing snakes and some of us like snakes. :D

Just take your time, enjoy your vape, sit back, watch, wait and learn.

Oh no I don't want to kill any snakes lol! I'm kind of coming back into vaping if I'm honest, I had my basic set up around 2013-14, and recently again for the flavours. I just want something improved and that can grow with me :). Thought while I've got the money, why not lol, otherwise I know I will never get round to buying an upgrade lol

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For me clouds and flavor are not seperate, you cant have 1 without the other. I like a hot vape though, too hot and it goes sour. Just hot enough for my liking.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh no I don't want to kill any snakes lol! I'm kind of coming back into vaping if I'm honest, I had my basic set up around 2013-14, and recently again for the flavours. I just want something improved and that can grow with me :). Thought while I've got the money, why not lol, otherwise I know I will never get round to buying an upgrade lol
Have fun with it, just be careful and all that shit. :D I gotta go weedeat.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
fles

Yeah I can get OK clouds out of my current setup, but to be honest, Everyone enjoys buying things, and in this instance seeing as I don't use NIC I want to try this out to see if I can get the best possible flavour.
Im also buying it just to buy an upgrade, if you understand? Just want to be able to experience something different, I haven't got any vices so If I used drugs or smoked, I would easily spend that money in a week for the box, battery, and 5 coils for my protank ( I will be using my protank at first, then second payday get a good tank, I can't buy them all at once due to cost) so it's not actually that much really I am spending, £60 in total, around £20 or so for a good tank when I get one.

I'm using the protank mini II for now.
Most any sub ohm set up will ABSOLUTELY BLOW AWAY a protank mini. All of these 'prebuilt coil' sub ohm tanks like a subtank, atlantis, and the others, will DESTROY any low wattage, high ohm set up.
I had a protank and a kayfun for a long time, I slipped up and smoked alot of cigs in those days. Once I got a decent set up, that was safe enough for sub ohm vaping, I never touched tobacco again.
Thats the difference, satisfaction vs ok/meh/good Ymmv

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For me, I don't enjoy a sub ohm vape. I've tried them via a Subtank Mini and an Atlantis V2 and don't dig it. I've also built my drippers under an ohm and it's always the same with me. I try sub ohm and I do not like it.

I've had every Kayfun ever made and I absolutely love them! I generally build them around 1.2 to 1.5 and vape them at about 10-11 watts. This is my vape nirvana..

When I use my drippers I build them in the same 1.2-1.5 range. In my Billet Boxes I use the Billet Bridge and the 2.0 ohm coils at 4.5-4.75 volts.

I just do not like the vape I get when I build sub ohm. That's what's great about vaping! So many options and different setups that you just need to find what works for you and rock it! :)

If my only option was to vape sub ohm, I'd probably quit vaping..

Last edited:

rt smith

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a sig 150 only because i use the thing so much i was tired of charging my mvp30 by 5 pm everyday. so far so good. i use it on 16-18 watts with a 1.2 coil. the flavor i get from the kangerplus 7.5ml tank is awsome. i have been looking a the budda 10ml tank but need to reasearch more.
anyways, RAGBALL you said you build your 1.2....what gauge wire you using? my local vape shop is willing to assist while i learn to build my own. however so many people do things different and i want to build a good coil because it is flavor for me over the cloud. thanks...

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me, I don't enjoy a sub ohm vape. I've tried them via a Subtank Mini and an Atlantis V2 and don't dig it. I've also built my drippers under an ohm and it's always the same with me. I try sub ohm and I do not like it.

I've had every Kayfun ever made and I absolutely love them! I generally build them around 1.2 to 1.5 and vape them at about 10-11 watts. This is my vape nirvana..

When I use my drippers I build them in the same 1.2-1.5 range. In my Billet Boxes I use the Billet Bridge and the 2.0 ohm coils at 4.5-4.75 volts.

I just do not like the vape I get when I build sub ohm. That's what's great about vaping! So many options and different setups that you just need to find what works for you and rock it! :)

If my only option was to vape sub ohm, I'd probably quit vaping..
That goes to show how different we all are. The first sub ohm build I tried I was blown away, it was exactly what I was looking for. But we never know until we try it.
To clarify, I am lumping all sub ohm into a single category for the sake of conversation, but theres a huge difference between .2 and .9. To be exact, I like the vape that a thicker gauge wire gives me. 24-22ga is my sweet spot, whatever ohm it happens to be. I could rock a 1.0ohm, 24ga coil, because at that point its up to the wattage thats running it, and the ohm resistance is irevelent.
I just like big vapor.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
anyways, RAGBALL you said you build your 1.2....what gauge wire you using? my local vape shop is willing to assist while i learn to build my own. however so many people do things different and i want to build a good coil because it is flavor for me over the cloud. thanks...

I use 28g Kanthal and wrap on a 2mm diameter screwdriver. 9 wraps gives me right at about 1.2 ohms.

NicVicious13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first started, I had only vaped disposables (well, hardly "vaped"). My very first trip to the vape shop, I was persuaded to purchase the eGo ONE because it was what "the people that drip use when they want something for the 'go' ".... of course, that early on, I had never heard of dripping, sub ohms, I just knew it had tasty juice in it and was better than cancer. I didn't know these huge clouds you could lose a person in were even possible. This was 3 months ago. I just nodded like crazy, didn't ask questions, they showed me how it worked, and the rest I had to DIY to figure out, or research. I feel like I was eating, breathing, living vaping to figure it all out. Then when I got the hang of it all, I was like, WTH are people doing selling these things, starting beginners out with "sub ohm capability"... at that point I didn't even care....and now I'm ruined haha. Anyways, that eGo ONE didn't work out for me. I went back to smoking and almost gave it up until I got an itaste MVP (the first one) and I was in love! I didn't care about how low ohms were and how high wattage was, I just wanted the battery to live longer and flavor taste good and at least have vapor exhale equal to that of smoke exhale.

Now, of course knowing a bit more (not everything! always more to learn which is part of my passion for it so quickly) I know I prefer around .5 ohms, and I don't normally go over 20 watts - however I do enjoy having a mod that is capable of much higher wattage because it seems to work with ease at my "sweet spot" rather than overworking it and I hate hot vapes. A lot I guess prefer the warmth, but I like to stay as cool as possible, have good flavor, good vapor exhale, and most importantly to me is safety knowing whatever is in my hands isn't going to blow up because I am not too big for my britches to say I'm still a newb, and I am proud to vape like one until I earn my big girl panties. (I did get to build some, but I just don't have the patience, if I were to practice I'd probably get pretty good at it and I guess eventually I will, but I'm happy with the low maintenance of what I got)

Ok, sorry, I'm rambling now....

the basis of my story is no, sub ohming isn't for everyone, and there's no shame in that if you are not a sub ohm person. I found out quickly that if you weren't doing the most extreme in the community people thought that was whack. Vape at what you like and find what your preferences are. Try it out, see what you think, but if it's not for you, no big deal. Most important things are vape SAFELY and vape what and how you love - because that's what it's all about. Not everyone will be the same, there's way too much variety and options, and so many different ways, but it's not fun if you do it because it's what people tell you that you will like because they do. Like it because YOU do. :)

Vape on.

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I never went back once I picked up an Atlantis. That's me though...the flavor is awesome as is cloud production...but I was looking for more flavor and not necessarily huge clouds...the clouds can be fun though.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never went back once I picked up an Atlantis. That's me though...the flavor is awesome as is cloud production...but I was looking for more flavor and not necessarily huge clouds...the clouds can be fun though.
To me, clouds and flavor go together. Ive always thought the 'clouds vs flavor' debate was funny, because without a half decent cloud, the flavor just isnt there for me.

VU Sponsors