Become a Patron!

sub ohming and throat hit

ciro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what happened to wanting a great throat hit from your vape. nowadays if a juice isnt 100 percent smooth with no throat hit it will get a bad review. i dont get it. i love throat hit. the most used nic level is 3mg thats insane ! i like blowing clouds but not at the expense of a good throat kick i like to feel my vape. juice vendors are really making out. they get to charge more for a drip line that uses less nic. i drip with 6 or 9mg and people think im crazy. what really pisses me off is when my local vape shop 9southvapes comes out with a slamming new flavor its only in 2mg nic

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I totally get your frustration.

Each to their own as I always say.

At the moment, cloud chasing is extremely popular and many E-Liquid makers want their share of the business.

To be honest, for the most part, I require my own liquids to have a decent amount of TH. But I also keep a small supply of high VG around for when I get a sore throat and cant handle my usual liquids.

The only advice I can offer is get a small supply of nic to add to the flavor you like to adjust to your taste.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
...and on the flip side of the coin, I mix my juice with as high of a VG concentration as possible. My flavor extracts are PG based, my 100mg/ml nic is PG based, and that's it. I prefer to fill my lungs with smooth vapor without annihilating my throat and lungs.

...and I still cough from time to time.

Nic level, to me, is all about having enough to satisfy my cravings without becoming over-nic'd. Throat hit don't enter into my equation, nicwise.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewing juices and reading reviews of juices is a waste of time. Everyone vapes and tastes different. Some seperate flavor from cloud density. To me a warm to hot wet and thick white plume is part of the flavor chase.

I like deep fried cow intestines. In fact i like a large array of deep fried visceral organs. Do you? My point exactly.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Annnnnnnd, now I want liver and onions.
I like to make an assorted plater including liver, kidney, heart, lung and small intestine. The large intestine ill save to stuff with a blood mixture.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just fell into the lower nicotine trap:confused: I was just in a Vape Shop close to my work for the first time and most of the juices they had in stock where only in 6mg nic or lower. I bought a bottle of Space Jam Eclipse in 6mg. I love the juice, but I am missing the throat hit I get from my regular 12mg juice. The salesman saw I was using a Subtank Mini & he was SHOCKED when I asked him for 12mg Juice. He said most people use 6mg or lower. I wanted to try a new juice so I bought it. I am using the 1.2 ohm coil so I might switch it out for a 0.5 ohm tonight. Maybe the lower ohm coil will give me more throat hit.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Luckily everywhere I have ordered from or shops the nic options cover the full spectrum. Some juices I like a 6, some a 12. Just depends on what it is. Sucks that some vendors are totally missing the vapors who just want to vape not to smoke. Cloud chasing is fine, whatever. But I vape not to smoke and for flavor, not to fill my room.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess its personal preference. I usually use a 3% nic but recently went back to 6% for some throat hit....

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had 3mg juices with such a throat hit I couldn't even vape it ! Virgin Vapor Organic Original Sin for one. Apple flavor and I like apple flavors. Got a bottle of 6mg and 0mg mixed them together and Voila ! Coughed every time I tried to vape it. Mystique Asteria also has a good throat hit at 3mg but it's vapable. Its a pineapple coconut flavor.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
"Throat Hit" kind of scares me.
I dislike anything that irritates my throat.
It would be a real catastrophe to quit smoking to avoid smoking related disease & death and wind up getting some kind of throat ailment just because I want my vapor to irritate my throat.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am a flavor chaser and an irritated throat makes any flavor bad.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I personally believe that is the reason for low nic levels on some of the premium juices so they can push the flavor, nic can affect the flavor plus there is the wicking factor on tanks. However if you really like the flavor and less throat hit you may be like me and vape more of it so in the end you are getting the nic you are craving but having to go through more of the product so they make more money selling it to you.

I know on my DIY I started out making it 18mg nic 70VG/30PG but I use a RDA. Now I am down to 9mg of nic 70VG/30PG and have two sub ohm tanks coming in that I will have to see if I am going to have to go to a more centered VG/PG ratio in order to get it to work with the tank. I did a lot of checking around before buying the tanks and I believe they will work with the 70VG/30PG and hopefully I can keep that ratio.

I also know that when I was using a iclear 30s there was no way I was getting away with using such a high VG lvl without finding dry hit after dry hit and going through atomizers fast.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm... ...I vape 3mg/max-VG because my setup already has a lot of kick and warmth to it.

It's not just about the juice. With the right setup, you can get all of the throat hit you could possibly need using 3mg/max VG. There are certain qualities that PG and nicotine can't provide on their own. Nic and PG aren't necessary when you have enough heat and density to overcome the high-volume airflow.

I tend to run what people call cloud-chasing builds, though the clouds are more of a side-effect for me. The lowest I vape is probably 65-70 watts. I stay closer to 100 watts most of the time. I run setups that make can some people choke on no-nic juice!

Why? For the same reasons you do - I like to feel my vape. I don't run what I do for bragging rights. I use lung-hit setups for that deep, but relaxed and full-bodied drag. I do the builds I do and run them at high power levels for the flavor, heat and texture.

I like the warmth and texture of a high-wattage vape. I can feel it coating my throat and filling my lungs without my throat clenching up. PG and high nic, on the other hand, make the vapor feel sparse, airy, and scratchy. High-wattage/high-VG/high-surface-area = full. High-nic/high-PG = itchy/unsatisfying.

More than one way to skin a cat, you know? 3mg, high VG juice is very popular because it's satisfying to vape on lung-hit setups, while the less common MTL setups require more PG/nic to make up for the reduced intensity.

Last edited:

RedFive420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i dont think i could have quit smoking without a good TH. that being said i also like to throw up a few clouds once in a while. i am a DIY ejuice person so i make different blends. usually when im out and about during the day i have my TH juice and at night relaxing im doing lung hits and clouding my living room.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well for me, its a couple things. Number one, I'm diabetic. Nicotine affects blood sugar so high nic could really mess me up. Number two, I was vaping 18mg in a variable voltage pen, and I was never satisfied. This was before I learned about nic and blood sugar. I went from 18 straight down to 3 before I even started dripping and found it much more satisfying of a nic hit for me. Three, I like max vg because well, I just don't like pg all that much. I think it tastes nasty and harsh and it irritates my throat something awful. I don't like throat hit at all. I know a lot of people that go straight from smoking to vaping like the throat hit. I quit smoking several years before I started vaping, and I didn't even like the way smoking made my throat feel to begin with. I got sick a lot, either a respiratory infection or bronchitis or severe hay fever every year in the winter and spring. Since I quit, almost none of that. I had one respiratory infection and a few colds since I quit and that was it. When I first started vaping, I was vaping 70pg and couldn't stand it and also got a really nasty cold this past winter. And what they say about max vg not having enough flavor is just pure hogwash to me. I had some 100% vg red liquorice that tasted awesome, and every flavor I have now is max vg and tastes great too. I have no complaints about flavor and I don't miss the heavy pg/throat hit at all. If you like inhaling a harsh vapor that irritates your throat, that's fine by me but max vg is here to stay so get used to it or mix your own juices :D

VU Sponsors