Become a Patron!

Subohm dangerous?

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
After I started buying all my stuff ended up with the evic vt tc and the starre pro tank .2 ohm Nickel.

I afterwards read somewhere that it was dangerous to vape under 1 ohm but it didnt really specify why and how to

Just trying to confirm the facts.

THanks in advanced :)

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Vaping under 1 ohm (sub-ohming) is safe as long as you understand battery safety, Ohms law, and basic electrical components. A regulated mod such as yours takes the guesswork out of it.

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Vaping under 1 ohm (sub-ohming) is safe as long as you understand battery safety, Ohms law, and basic electrical components. A regulated mod such as yours takes the guesswork out of it.
Thanks! So it should be fine with my mod regardless if I'm on wattage or tc mode?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks! So it should be fine with my mod regardless if I'm on wattage or tc mode?
As mentioned already, you're absolutely save with your mod. The time you need to worry about Sub Ohm is on mechanical mods. Those mods don't have any electronics that would protect you from making a mistake.
(Except tomorrow :))

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Indeed. Also, if you know what you're doing it is perfectly feasible to run subohms on a mech mod. If you know what you're doing.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Indeed. Also, if you know what you're doing it is perfectly feasible to run subohms on a mech mod. If you know what you're doing.

He he he. Did you think you could get off that easy? Since the OP was unsure of whether or not a VV/W device was safe to sub ohm, I'd say you have a rather large obligation to explain to the OP exactly what "knowing what your doing" consists of with a mech.. No cheating by linking to other pages, you opened Pandoras's box, Have a vape, you're gonna need it. You got some typing to do...... LOL

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
He's either typing up a storm, or we'll never see him on this thread again. lololol

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes my Cardassian friend. Much typing lol.

Do I look like a cardassian who would run from a fight? ...Don't answer that.

He he he. Did you think you could get off that easy? Since the OP was unsure of whether or not a VV/W device was safe to sub ohm, I'd say you have a rather large obligation to explain to the OP exactly what "knowing what your doing" consists of with a mech.. No cheating by linking to other pages, you opened Pandoras's box, Have a vape, you're gonna need it. You got some typing to do...... LOL

Very well...

WARNING: EXCEEDING THE AMP LIMIT OF A BATTERY WILL CAUSE A SHORT. AND SHORTS ARE BAD. OKAY?

Before attempting to use a mech mod you need be very familiar with ohms law, Amps ( I [current]) = Voltage (V) / Ohms (R[resistance]). Additionally you should be familiar with the extended version of Ohms Law: Watts (P[power])=V^2/R. Knowing this will make mech vaping a much more enjoyable experience than fiddling around with builds until you get it right.

EDIT: The basic form of Ohms Law has endless application when building for a mech because it tells you how many amps your build is drawing once you stick it on an ohm reader and get the resistance of your build. If you're using the most common batteries, 20 maximum continuous discharge rating (MCD rating), and your reader tells you you're working with a 0.3 ohm build then:

Amps = 4.2 (a fully charged cell, be safe, don't try to account for sag or inefficiencies) / 0.3

Amps = 14

You're completely safe. 0.3 ohms on a mech is also a nice vape.

Now, if you build very low, like 0.1

Amps = 4.2 / 0.1

Amps = 42

And you're having a bad day because there could be an exploding battery in a hard metal tube in front of your face when you take the first hit.

You also need to familiarize yourself Li-ion battery safety and mechanics. Specifically the rather obtuse C-Rating specification. It's rather infuriating. C-Ratings are how many times its capacity it can discharge safely and has to do with a battery's mAh rating. This provides an amp limit for a battery.

Additionally, you need to know about battery construction since, shockingly, sticking a powerful capacitor in a highly conductive copper tube without knowing too much about the terminals of a battery or where on itself a battery can ground out is a pretty bad idea. Li-ion batteries tend to explode or superheat and vent hot electrolytes when short-circuited. A sufficiently low resistance build can do the same thing. Hence the reason for needing to know Ohms Low like the back of your hand.

All of this is just the basics. You'll also need to know about battery sag, specific heat, heat flux, heat capacity, internal resistance, mod resistance. The list continues.

I don't really know how I didn't vent a battery when I started vaping looking back at how little I knew when I got my first FUhattan.

Basically, you have a regulated mod. Stick with it unless you feel like trying a mech out. Do a lot of research before ever buying one.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Bravo!!!!!! Kudos to you. Well done, and Thank You.. I'd like your post 4X if I could!

9 points out of 10!! You'd have had a perfect score, but you forgot to tell her about Thursdays... lol

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Of course, the Spontaneous Combustion Syndrome can be avoided by attaching your sub Ohm device to a generic pan dimensional cyclotron. You only need to do this once. After that, every time you hit the fire button, you will briefly be instantaneously transported to either 23:59 Wednesday, or 12:01 Friday. That is why all regulated devices limit the time you can fire them to no more than 12-15 seconds.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Of course, the Spontaneous Combustion Syndrome can be avoided by attaching your sub Ohm device to a generic pan dimensional cyclotron. You only need to do this once. After that, every time you hit the fire button, you will briefly be instantaneously transported to either 23:59 Wednesday, or 12:01 Friday. That is why all regulated devices limit the time you can fire them to no more than 12-15 seconds.
Or you could just jam a buttplug up your arse. The choice is yours

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All kidding aside, number 3124 should get some sort of trophy for his explanation. Whisky? dont't you think? Barney thinks so. He just told me.....

I don't know about that. I was reading over it a minute ago and realized that, as I was rattling it out, I forgot to put in big red letters, "exceeding the amp limit of the battery will cause a short!" This is something I'm going to edit in, but still.

VU Sponsors