Become a Patron!

Subtank Mini RBA Cant get burnt taste to go away for the life of me !!

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im in desperate need of help , I don't no whats going on . Ive watched every video ever made , read previous forums and re wicked my coil 5 times now and still same results. Its a .5 ohm coil and I'm using a 50/50 juice. What is causing this i don't get it !! Ive tried more and less cotton nothing seems to work

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!

To anyone reading this , I finally figured out what my problem was, believe it or not its actually not even the juice channels , but i do think they could be bigger and it could potentially only make it work more effectively. Anyways what was causing the constant dry hits were the coils i was making. I was making them as tight as they could get , not leaving any spacing between the wraps. Once I finally put a new coil in with some spacing ( not even that much ) Everything changed dramatically. I honestly haven't even got a dry hit yet. A combination of a new coil and a slightly different wicking technique fixed everything 100 %. So if anyone out there has a problem with dry hits using the RBA make sure your coil has some space in-between the wraps , it could be potentially whats causing it

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did you try that 1.2 ohm coil i suggested?

Is the wick "too tight" inside of the coil?...it should just fit barely snug.

Are you stuffing "too much" wick between the coil and the feeder hole?..should just have a small amount of pressure against the holes.

Have you tried lowering wattage on your device?

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you try that 1.2 ohm coil i suggested?

Is the wick "too tight" inside of the coil?...it should just fit barely snug.

Are you stuffing "too much" wick between the coil and the feeder hole?..should just have a small amount of pressure against the holes.

Have you tried lowering wattage on your device?

yeah i tried the 1.2 , and yes i tried all these things , like i said i got this mango roasting in there now with no problems at all so i don't get it . Ill have to mess with it some more tomorrow . theres a real art to wicking I'm starting to realize

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also something extremely important.

Are you priming your wick after changing it?...Soak the shit out of it with your juice before installing it completely.

One dry burn is all it takes to keep that nasty taste.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just posted about my problems with cinnamon flavors the other day and got a couple replies that implied I was crazy for even suggesting that the flavor was the problem.

The thing is,....99% of this shit is subjective.
just like that TV show,"the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, might not be right for some"-Different Strokes

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Are you priming your wick after changing it?...Soak the shit out of it with your juice before installing it completely.

absolutely , hence my frustrations . My cotton had no burns or really any discoloration but again ill just have to keep practicing and find out through some more trial and error

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i mean i went for it only cuz of my situation and taste right now ( technically i was trying to get this suicide bunny mandarin or something like that but they only had 18 mg nic left ) , but i would never go into a shop with tons of premium juices and ask for there best " cinnamon " lol

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If it's only happening with the rba head, it's possibly one of three things. The white and clear insulators have given people problems with bad taste (white) and melting in certain juices (clear). The new brownish insulators are supposed to have solved the issues. The juice channels on some are too small and need to be opened up. The third is juice related, but 50/50 is thin enough to not be a problem. Check your insulators and juice channels.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
this with the the RBA head or re-wicking the OCC coil

if you are doing this to a OCC coils, what are you doing to clean the coil after you pull the used cotton?

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
this with the the RBA head or re-wicking the OCC coil

if you are doing this to a OCC coils, what are you doing to clean the coil after you pull the used cotton?
na this was with the rba

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it's only happening with the rba head, it's possibly one of three things. The white and clear insulators have given people problems with bad taste (white) and melting in certain juices (clear). The new brownish insulators are supposed to have solved the issues. The juice channels on some are too small and need to be opened up. The third is juice related, but 50/50 is thin enough to not be a problem. Check your insulators and juice channels.
I'm thinking its a channel issue , i have those brown insulaters , how big of a hole should i drill ?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont understand why they would make those channels so tiny in the first place

Looking at two side by side it's very hard to see the difference. But a lot of people have had this problem! I have two RBAs that look exactly the same. One was unusable until I filed out the channels, the other one was fine.

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking at two side by side it's very hard to see the difference. But a lot of people have had this problem! I have two RBAs that look exactly the same. One was unusable until I filed out the channels, the other one was fine.

when did you get your sub tank mini ? also how big of a hole should i drill ? i mean i would think anyone would want larger channels in this thing regardless of it working or not

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
when did you get your sub tank mini ? also how big of a hole should i drill ? i mean i would think anyone would want larger channels in this thing regardless of it working or not

I bought one from Elev8 and one from Vape Super Saver (this was the one that worked fine). I just filed them out a bit at a time, testing in between. I didn't want to take out too much, so I did it gradually.

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Actually i forgot to mention this and maybe this could make it easier to figure out the issue. So after priming ill let it sit and soak thoroughly , after soaking ill give it a few test fires with out the tank screwed on , and i see it producing the vapor but i try to smell it and even then i can smell that burnt scent coming off of it. and again nothings burning nor is the cotton changing color dramatically. And remember I finally gave up on that juice , re wicked the coil all over again just how i was prior primed with a new juice and had no problems at all , did i get lucky well its possible but its to big of a coincidence .

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually i forgot to mention this and maybe this could make it easier to figure out the issue. So after priming ill let it sit and soak thoroughly , but ill give it a few test fires with out the tank screwed on , and i see it producing the vapor but i try to smell it and even then i can smell that burnt scent coming off of it. and again nothings burning nor is the cotton changing color dramatically

Can't really help with that one - are the insulators melting, I wonder?

Oh, another thought - mine had a nasty machine oil smell/taste until I washed them out thorougly in hot, soapy water.

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought one from Elev8 and one from Vape Super Saver (this was the one that worked fine). I just filed them out a bit at a time, testing in between. I didn't want to take out too much, so I did it gradually.

what would be the result if you drilled the channels to large ?

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can't really help with that one - are the insulators melting, I wonder?

Oh, another thought - mine had a nasty machine oil smell/taste until I washed them out thorougly in hot, soapy water.

yeah my had a slight machined metal taste / smell to it , not horrible but i washed it off . Im actually going to go boil it today to really clean it thorough

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would think it would flood!

True , i guess it depends on how you vape and how you wick at that point , making sure the cotton soaks up all the juice . Cuz some of the newer sub ohm tanks have hugeeee openings for the cotton to absorb the juice.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
are you dry burning the coil and rinsing off after pulling the cotton out?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wouldnt have thought kanger to leave machine oil on a product like you get from most of the clones of other tanks but worth a shot
what would be the result if you drilled the channels to large ?

Sounds like you may have gotten the first version of the tank.

If im not mistaken, they have an improved version with better wicking and some other odds ends.

I would just go one size larger with the hole on the coil head and try that if youre using the coils and not the rda section.

most tend to prefer the coil over the rda anyway.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with @Mike H. , i like the OCC coils better than the RBA section

DoWork69

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with @Mike H. , i like the OCC coils better than the RBA section

ok cool ill just try and re build them for now , the RBA is just a little more convenient but hopefully it will get easier the more i re build the occ's

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i pretty much dont even use my RBA head anymore. I may give it another shot when my rDNA40 comes back from vaporshark...a ni200 build and temp control mod will hopefully keep it from dry hitting

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I slightly, I mean very slightly, opened up the channels on mine before I used it. Used the coil that came mounted on it, wicked it up and filled the tank with some pretty thick juice I make. Running it at 28w and it's working fine even taking long draws. As well as the .5 occ. Sucks to hear some of you are having issues. The rba head is a big reason I got it. I'd be pretty irritated if I couldn't get it sorted.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I slightly, I mean very slightly, opened up the channels on mine before I used it. Used the coil that came mounted on it, wicked it up and filled the tank with some pretty thick juice I make. Running it at 28w and it's working fine even taking long draws. As well as the .5 occ. Sucks to hear some of you are having issues. The rba head is a big reason I got it. I'd be pretty irritated if I couldn't get it sorted.

This appears to be a common probem, and it's such a shame Kangertech can't get it right. The RBA is absolutely amazing if it works, but a lot of people are just going to give up on it and write it off. All it takes is a little filing of the channel to fix it, and then it works beautifully!

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually prefer the rba deck instead of the .5 pre-made coils...I hate them, there harsh. I get really good flavor on my build .7 26g, just barley let the cotton hit the bottom of the deck and pull the coil really high up over the air hole. My opinion anyhow

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I actually prefer the rba deck instead of the .5 pre-made coils...I hate them, there harsh. I get really good flavor on my build .7 26g, just barley let the cotton hit the bottom of the deck and pull the coil really high up over the air hole. My opinion anyhow

im going to have to try this

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've done it all. Every trick in the book. Could never go over 20w, and that was with a short draw. Juice, wick, coil... You shouldn't have to hope the stars align and use voodoo to get a decent build. Everything will have a limit. Everything will run out of juice if you give enough power. The limit on mine was 15-20w. Tons of other options can do much better. Much better. The Kanger RBA/OCC can only do so much.

I even had my local guru rewick it... Perfect beautiful little pancakes. He was rather proud. Burnt wick first hit. I filed the channels bigger. Better, but still not fixed. I drilled holes in the sides, better still. But now it goes the other way... Flooding. They can only do what they can do. If they meet your needs, then great. If you are past their performance... You need another platform. Lots to choose from.

They can only do what they can do.

True dat, I manage to vape my Kangertech mini v2, between 20w to 35w using 85%vg juice.
I can go lower but now need. No need to drill or do any funy adjustments.
26gauge Kanthal, do 5 or 6 wraps around 2.5 or 3mm bit, it works great. 28gauge never really worked unless I dropped down to 10w.
All I am saying that it takes time to get what works for you. If you feel you need to try another tank that works on a different wicking technique then you should it, some RBA decks are easier to build and wick.
What also worked for me was getting a bigger power supply.
I changed over from the Istick 40w to Istick 100w.
Maybe I am wrong but I can actually taste, feel and see the difference.

It has taken me 6weeks to crack it and now it is just great I can even go up to 50w, short hits though!

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I just started using the RBA deck on my Subtank Mini (Version 1) Before I made my first coil I drilled two 5/64" Diameter Holes in the side of the RBA, just above the Juice Channels. You have to drill the holes just slightly below the center of the RBA so you don't drill into the threads on the inside. This Youtube Video helps explain the process

I never used the RBA without the added holes so I can't tell you how it compares to the stock RBA, but I can tell you I am a complete newb at building coils and the first coil I made on my modified RBA is a COMPLETE success. It has much better flavor and airflow than the 0.5 Vertical OCC Coils. I have been using it for 6 days and it still tastes as good as it did on day one. I am using it with 80/20 VG/PG Juice, at 25 watts and I have not had a single dry or burnt hit. I used the pre-made 0.5 ohm wire that came with the RBA kit, so it might not go as smoothly when I have to wrap my own wire.

I just started using the RBA deck on my Subtank Mini (Version 1) Before I made my first coil I drilled two 5/64" Diameter Holes in the side of the RBA, just above the Juice Channels. You have to drill the holes just slightly below the center of the RBA so you don't drill into the threads on the inside. This Youtube Video helps explain the process

I never used the RBA without the added holes so I can't tell you how it compares to the stock RBA, but I can tell you I am a complete newb at building coils and the first coil I made on my modified RBA is a COMPLETE success. It has much better flavor and airflow than the 0.5 Vertical OCC Coils. I have been using it for 6 days and it still tastes as good as it did on day one. I am using it with 80/20 VG/PG Juice, at 25 watts and I have not had a single dry or burnt hit. I used the pre-made 0.5 ohm wire that came with the RBA kit, so it might not go as smoothly when I have to wrap my own wire.
26 gauge 6 wraps around 3mm bit!

VU Sponsors