Become a Patron!

Subvod has no help anywhere

I got a subvod for xmas and was great nice intro to this journey. Well, I dropped it one time swear thats it. It worked fine went to vape shop guy behind counter messed with it added my new flavor. Got it home worked till battery died I charged over night. went to use it read full charge, the lights on battery work but doesn't fire. tried changing coil, cleaning evey piece couple times used 3 of 5 coils. It acts like there is a short in connection if i fiddle with tightness of tank to battery it works for a few times then stops. I tried tightning and loosing just doesn't seem to want to work....Pleasse help!!!!!

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU.

Every time I dropped a rig, and it landed base first, usually the center pin dropped/ recessed too far down into the battery section to make contact to the tank. I would use a pair of tweezers, and wiggle/spin while pulling, to bring it back up.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Getting a grip will the biggest pain of doing that. Make sure you don't harm the insulator that surrounds the center pin that keeps it from contacting the outer metal, or that will cause a short.

Uhmmmm......
. hmmmmm

ok wish I had a good mental picture of said situation but honest I might be too tired I will do it tomorrow since my brain seems to be functioning on nil...i will try it tho I will figure it out!!!

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got a subvod for xmas and was great nice intro to this journey. Well, I dropped it one time swear thats it. It worked fine went to vape shop guy behind counter messed with it added my new flavor. Got it home worked till battery died I charged over night. went to use it read full charge, the lights on battery work but doesn't fire. tried changing coil, cleaning evey piece couple times used 3 of 5 coils. It acts like there is a short in connection if i fiddle with tightness of tank to battery it works for a few times then stops. I tried tightning and loosing just doesn't seem to want to work....Pleasse help!!!!!
I had that same unit and that same problem, here is what could be happening,

1- What happens when you fire the SUBVOD battery without the tank screwed in? does the battery light comes on? do this to confirm that the battery itself is working.

2- An extra step to confirm that the battery is working as it should (but not needed if you do not have the right tools), get a multimeter if you have one, put it in DC voltage measurement mode, touch the positive lead to the center pin and the negative lead to the 510 threading, click the button and measure battery voltage, should be around 4.2V when fully charged.

3- Screw on the tank but not too tight, just tight enough to make a connection, so it does not have to be sitting flush, press the button, does the button light stays on? if it stays on and nothing happens then the problem is with the tank and not the battery, if the button flashes 3 times this means you have a short in the coil or tank base.

4- Moving on to the tank, the Toptank Nano that came with this kit has a few problems.

5- First problem is the center positive pin is a rubber supported floating pin which means it moves up and down freely in place and can even be totally popped out of the base for cleaning/re-seating,

6- unscrew the coil head, first make sure that the positive pin is visible from the inside and is sticking out, this means it is not insulated by the rubber

7- Second push the pin all the way in from the bottom with your finger so that it sticks out from the inside as far as it can go, this one does not need any pliers because it is rubber fitted and can be pushed up/down with normal finger pressure.

8- After checking the positive pin is sticking out from the inside of the base and after pushing it all the way in with your finger, screw the coil head back on and try.

9- If your battery light comes on but the tank does not fire then you are out of luck, you must have a bad connection at the base itself, so the negative is not making a connection with the battery, this is a problem with the Toptank Nano because the base is constructed of two pieces, the upper piece which you screw your coil on to, and the lower piece that screws on the 510 of your battery, these two pieces seem to loose conductivity after a month or two of use, either from vapor condensing inside or other reasons, the base just stops being conductive and there is nothing you can do about it.

This is how my SUBVOD died after over a month of use, hope that helps

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Getting a grip will the biggest pain of doing that. Make sure you don't harm the insulator that surrounds the center pin that keeps it from contacting the outer metal, or that will cause a short.
This is a generic type center pin fix. It would be about the same on most stick batteries. Hope this helps to give you a visual of what RatRacer means.

Guys, the SUBVOD is a sub-ohm kit with a high drain battery and a traditional 510 connection, nothing like in this video, the SUBVOD battery does NOT have an adjustable spring loaded 510, instead the positive pin in that battery is just a solid metal plate that does not have any amount of movement up or down, and is designed with the exact spacing to connect with the floating positive pin on the Toptank that came with it and is intended to push that floating pin upwards with some pressure to connect with the coil inside.

All the proposed fixes will not work with that battery, she needs to follow the troubleshooting steps i provided, i suspect the tank got defective at the base like it was the case with me, and there is no way to fix it, best is to get the thing replaced under warranty.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No offense but if it's a traditional 510 connection ( and it appears that it is ) there can be movement in the positive pin on this. Granted it isn't designed to be adjustable but neither were the eGo pens.

In any case, here's a link with some decent pics:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-SUBVOD-Starter-Kit-p/krsv10.htm

The tank looks to have the same common features as other tank atomizers as well. The airflow controller mandates use of an extension pin on the tank.

Regardless, It may make more sense to take it back, if possible. :)

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No offense but if it's a traditional 510 connection ( and it appears that it is ) there can be movement in the positive pin on this. Granted it isn't designed to be adjustable but neither were the eGo pens.

In any case, here's a link with some decent pics:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-SUBVOD-Starter-Kit-p/krsv10.htm

The tank looks to have the same common features as other tank atomizers as well. The airflow controller mandates use of an extension pin on the tank.

Regardless, It may make more sense to take it back, if possible. :)
I own the actual kit and had the same issue, and spent long hours troubleshooting it with advanced tools and knowledge and attempted the proposed pin fix, so i think having first hand experience with the product makes me know much more about it than just looking at pictures :)

Without going into details, the way this 510 is designed makes it the least possible point of failure and i am 90% sure that the tank base is the culprit, if you are interested in the details i can make another post with them but it is going to be one long ass post :)

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I own the actual kit and had the same issue, and spent long hours troubleshooting it with advanced tools and knowledge and attempted the proposed pin fix, so i think having first hand experience with the product makes me know much more about it than just looking at pictures :)

Without going into details, the way this 510 is designed makes it the least possible point of failure and i am 90% sure that the tank base is the culprit, if you are interested in the details i can make another post with them but it is going to be one long ass post :)

Nah, it's fine my friend, I believe you. I just noticed that Kanger said it was based on the Evod pen and having built a few mods myself, I thought the possibility of it still being the pin existed. But it sounds like you have already been down that road and have it covered. :)

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nah, it's fine my friend, I believe you. I just noticed that Kanger said it was based on the Evod pen and having built a few mods myself, I thought the possibility of it still being the pin existed. But it sounds like you have already been down that road and have it covered. :)
I will explain briefly anyways, since i am in the mode to chat :)

The pin in that battery is a flat, large diameter pin sitting totally flush on a large white stiff rubber insulator, there is no movement in that pin unless you are really willing to mess up the pin or rubber insulator underneath it in order to get a flat blade in the very tight space between its edges and the 510 threads, and then once you do, there is no movement, at least if you try gently.

The tank that comes with that kit is a Toptank Nano v.3, its base is designed differently (the negative post) from the Subtank v.2 base, when you screw the tank on the battery the nonadjustable positive pin on the battery pushed the positive rubber supported pin at the tank's base inside and into the coil making a solid connection, so there is nowhere for the battery's positive pin to go to become disconnected from the positive pin at the tank's base and the proposed fix will not help but damage the battery's 510.

The problem with the tank's base is that it is designed of two pieces, the top piece which you screw the coil into and the bottom piece that screws into the battery, so after a month or two of use, liquids/vapor condenses inside the base or maybe there is rubber melted inside that makes the negative part of the base non-conductive and thus the tank ceases to fire, could be a design flaw in the Toptank v.3.

I tried to get that base apart to figure it out like you would do with the older Subtank but there is no way to do that without damaging the metal, tried rubber gloves, pliers .. you name it, ended up denting the base but it still does not come apart so i could not figure out what is happening inside that is making the base no longer conductive.

The OP's problem could be different from mine, but if the battery itself is working then its 510 is the least possible cause of her issue

I hope that makes sense :)

wow, I didn't realize this was such a complex little piece of (derogatory term inserted here) poop... My malfunction is that I did some, but not alot of, research on said poop. I have an impulse problem. I up and decided I wanted to vape, and looked about for couple days then jumped on cheapest purchase that was fast and instant gratification. I am now realizing Vapomizer is correct. I am trashing this 55$ mistake and moving on. I will not be purchasing any Kanger item in the future. thanks for all responses and its great to know I am not the reason this junk doesn't work!!!

oh and as far as returning item; I just assumed since its visibly been dropped, has small nicks in color coating, I wouldn't be able to return it..

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wow, I didn't realize this was such a complex little piece of (derogatory term inserted here) poop... My malfunction is that I did some, but not alot of, research on said poop. I have an impulse problem. I up and decided I wanted to vape, and looked about for couple days then jumped on cheapest purchase that was fast and instant gratification. I am now realizing Vapomizer is correct. I am trashing this 55$ mistake and moving on. I will not be purchasing any Kanger item in the future. thanks for all responses and its great to know I am not the reason this junk doesn't work!!!
$55 for that simple starter kit is extreme, why did you have to pay so much for it?

oh and as far as returning item; I just assumed since its visibly been dropped, has small nicks in color coating, I wouldn't be able to return it..
ALL Kanger products have the shittiest paint job in the market, the paint gets chipped off just from normal gentle use, things like placing the kit on the desk, or wiping it gently with a paper towel makes the paint come off!!, so your less than perfect finish condition is NOT a sign of misuse or an indication of it being dropped, you can still return it in that condition, and if the vape shop you bought from knows any better, they would know that a Kanger product would have chipped off finish with the gentlest use possible and without being dropped not even once.

I returned mine with half of the paint chipped off and it was not a problem, the return was accepted based on the functional defects with no regards to the paint condition! and i have not dropped it ever not even once.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would try and enforce my right to warranty especially with that massive $55 you paid for it, get something better as a replacement, what do you have to lose if you try? just talk to the store and see how it goes.

This is a generic type center pin fix. It would be about the same on most stick batteries. Hope this helps to give you a visual of what RatRacer means.

Dude! Thank you sooooooooo much for posting this video! You saved my husband's Subvod lol he was so mad that it just stopped firing mid vape! So after reading a few comments here I came to your post and gave it a try, low and behold IT WORKED! just wanted to say thank.you so much!

Welcome to VU.

Every time I dropped a rig, and it landed base first, usually the center pin dropped/ recessed too far down into the battery section to make contact to the tank. I would use a pair of tweezers, and wiggle/spin while pulling, to bring it back up.
Thanks man for posting this as well! You and Huckleberried definitely saved my husband's Subvod. After it stopped firing mid-vape I started looking online for the solution which brought me here. Thanks to your explanation and his video I was able to fix it no problem, just wanted to say thanks a lot!

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks man for posting this as well! You and Huckleberried definitely saved my husband's Subvod. After it stopped firing mid-vape I started looking online for the solution which brought me here. Thanks to your explanation and his video I was able to fix it no problem, just wanted to say thanks a lot!
Welcome to VU
Glad my meaningful blathering had some benefit to others on the interwebz. Come and hang out, you won't believe how much fun/drama/entertainment in general could be had on a faux smoking site.:confetti:

VU Sponsors