Sucralose vs. Ethyl Maltol (DIY Sweetners)?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Guides, Tips & Tricks!' started by QuestForVapology, Jan 29, 2016.

?

What do you use?

1. Ethyl Maltol

34.8%
  2. Sucralose

52.2%
  3. Stevia

13.0%
  1. QuestForVapology

QuestForVapology New Member

Blog Posts:
    About to put in a new order, and I was wondering the difference between the two.

I've noticed that people prefer Ethyl Maltol on many recipe sites. Why is this? Are there noticeable differences between the two in terms of taste, interaction of flavors, the way it affects coils, shelf life, etc.?

2. Neunerball

Neunerball Gold Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    If at all, I'm using Sucralose, rather than EM. EM can mute the flavor(s). A good option is using FA Marshmallow, or FA Pear as sweetener.

Jimi and Teresa P like this.
  3. Teresa P

Teresa P Platinum Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I really prefer to use neither, the flavors are generally sweet enough on their own. Many of those recipe sites use a tremendous amount of flavoring (20% or more) and I believe that's because of EM (cotton candy). It tends to mute flavors, therefore more flavoring has to be added to create a "balance." Sucralose is only needed in the tiniest amounts - not even a drop per 10ml - and I only use it then if I'm shooting for an overly exaggerated "candy" taste.

4. AmandaD

AmandaD Platinum Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I never use either!

anavidfan likes this.
  5. wally

wally Gold Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I have never needed it. Out of all the flavorings that I have gone through only one needed sweet added so why bother.

anavidfan and Shark Vape like this.
  6. Heabob

Heabob Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I'd vote for Stevia but it's not on the list:(.

JimScotty0 likes this.
  7. QuestForVapology

Blog Posts:
    Just added. Why stevia over the rest?

8. wally

Blog Posts:
    You also need to add "Never use"

9. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    I have Capella cherry wild w/stevia, only used it once, and I just didn't care for the taste. Heaven knows it's hard enough to find a cherry flavoring that doesn't taste like cough syrup, but this has a funky aftertaste I'm going to blame on the addition of stevia. I could always be wrong though.

anavidfan likes this.
  10. wally

Blog Posts:
    What is a good cherry that is like what we want.

11. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    I dunno, I've tried about all of them but Inawera. And I really don't know why I don't have Inawera, since I have so many of their other fruit flavors and love them.

wally and Shark Vape like this.
  12. Bucky205

Bucky205 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I've used all three, depending on the recipe. Ethyl maltol is more of a cotton candy flavor. Sucralose, and Stevia are just sweet. I also use marshmallow sometimes. I make a clone called Betty, that I really like. It is 10% Forest fruit, 15% sucralose. If you use Stevia instead of sucralose it taste horrible. Betty is an extreme, and I am even amazed it taste so good. EM I am usually at 1 or 2%, Stevia a couple of drops in a 30 ml sometimes.

13. QuestForVapology

Blog Posts:
    While I respect DIYers who don't use sweetners, I have a few recipes that specifically need sweetners. So I'm trying to find out which additive is superior, and why. So far Sucralose seems to be the best option because it retains background flavor.

14. Bucky205

Bucky205 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    If you will give me a clue what flavors your mixing, I can make a better guess.

Teresa P likes this.
  15. QuestForVapology

Blog Posts:
    Whoa 15% sucralose?

I'm trying to clone Rex by Opus Elixer. It's an intensely sweetened Strawberry and Kiwi flavor.

I'm also working on a personal flavor that needs an extremely bright vanilla flavor, so I'm looking for sweetners.

And in general, I'm just looking for some rules of thumbs on sweetners and why there are so many.

51vape likes this.
  16. Jimi

Jimi Diamond Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Seems like, IMHO, that FA marshmallow would work great in either. For me sweeteners sometimes taste bad.

17. Debbiej

Debbiej Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    New to DIY and curious about alcohol used with powdered splendid. Would that change the flavor? Vodka? Shiver...vodka and I had a hideous night out. Why not water? Or sprinkle splendid straight in while mixing? I can see using alcohol when wanting to store, it acts as a preservant. Is it just a matter of dissolving crystals? I'm a sugar freak and love sweet. I have seen a couple recipes use sweetener, seems like marshmallows change flavor a smidge and maltol dulls.

18. Jimi

Jimi Diamond Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Yes marshmallow might slightly change the flavor, but who knows you might like it.

Sibben likes this.
  19. Heabob

Heabob Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Stevia does not mute like EM.
    And it doesn't have the "diet pop" aftertaste like Sucralose.
    Some Stevia types do have an aftertaste, especially if using too much.
    As an example: I'm using 2 drops to sweeten a whole cup of coffee, and that's around what, 200ml? (just guessing).
    So even 1 drop in 30ml should be pretty dang sweet.
    Best to dilute the Stevia at 10%, or 50% even, to help control it better.
    Other sweeteners are usually being used in percents, .5% = around 3 drops?
    3 drops of Sucralose is also very sweet, how many drops for a cup of Java?
    Even 1 drop is super sweet, just sayin, if you use any sweeteners, go easy with them.
    I just can't fathom using the amount of sweetener being used in some of the recipes I've seen:eek:.

Splenda has 1 sugar molecule removed (from Sugar), by using Chlorine, don't think I'd wanna vape that.
    I prefer using Brown Sugar, Marshmallow, Meringue, Sweet Cream, etc.
    They usually help more than hurt as far as changing the flavor, just don't use 15%:D.

Just my humble opinion as you will need to experiment with these to find your own preferences I think.

SailCat and Teresa P like this.
  20. QuestForVapology

Blog Posts:
    Had some time today to mix some testers.

Made 2% of Sucralose (at a standard 10 PG:1 Sucralose ratio), and 2% of TFA Ethyl Maltol.

For me, the clear winner is Sucralose.

Sucralose tasted like table sugar (duh). It's light and bright. Too much and it'll really take over. After trying 2%, I would back down to 0.5%-1%.

I was let down by Ethyl Maltol (EM). EM had a brown sugar taste at 2%. It had more body than Sucralose, but its more for a baked pastry application. People also say that it tastes like cotton candy at higher percentages. I taste brown sugar. I'd use EM at 0.5%-1% for certain recipes that I'd need a darker sweetner for baked cake stuff (not candy).

Attached Files:

21. QuestForVapology

Blog Posts:
    Just want to add something.

I just got off the phone with a really informative rep from TFA, and he explained the difference to me like this:

Sucralose is much more of a brighter table sugar flavor.
    EM is tastes like brown sugar if mixed by itself, but it actually should be viewed as a flavor enhancer. EM actually sweetens every individual flavor, where's sucralose is just a independent flavor.

go figure..

22. zdawk

zdawk New Member

Blog Posts:
    Where are you guys buying these sweetners? Are you just mixing them in to PG to create a custom sweetner or are these sold as a flavor you'd just drip into your ejuice recipe? I have a bag of baking stevia, do I just stir it into PG or VG or am I just way off here?
    -Newber

23. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    No, don't use the ones meant for baking and such as there are added chemicals that we really don't need in our juices. We purchase sweeteners from our flavor vendors, Bull City Vapor, ECig Express, and others.

Shark Vape and RonJS like this.
  24. nabibrian

nabibrian VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    @zdawk hello and welcome to the VU, nice to have you here

zdawk likes this.
  25. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Platinum Contributor

Blog Posts:
    For me it is because artificial sweeteners taste horrible to me. Why I am 100% DIY.

anavidfan and Heabob like this.
  26. QuestForVapology

Blog Posts:
    Has anybody's coils gunked up because of sucralose?

anavidfan and The Cromwell like this.
  27. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Platinum Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Dunno but I get almost 2 months on a .75 GS Air coil at ~20 watts using GNC Nu Stevia sweetner.

28. AndriaD

AndriaD I'm nowhere anymore. VU Donator Platinum Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I simply don't find EM to be very sweet. Never tried stevia, but I do know that the more organic ingredients you use, the more gunk you will have to deal with. I've read that using more than 2% sucralose is simply "too sweet," but it's all in eye, or perhaps the mouth, of the beholder, isn't it? I regularly use 2.8%-3% sucralose in my ADV; yes it gunks like a mad mofo, but it's sweet enough to suit me. Anything over about 3.2% sucralose, I find "too sweet" -- but there are probably those who like it that sweet.

Andria

29. zdawk

zdawk New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sweet~ (see what I did there), I got some sweetener from bull city and it's made a big difference in the recipes I've used it in. It seems to help with the shake and vape potential of a recipe. I Only a week into the whole DIY gig and it's proven a lot easier than I ever thought it would be! Sooo much money I could have saved by doing this earlier... lol!

Teresa P and AndriaD like this.
  30. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    ;)

31. jambi

jambi New Member

Blog Posts:
    Experimentation is always key.

My general rule of thumb...When I want to add sweetness, I use Sweetener (sucralose). When I want to enhance, make dominant, or otherwise modify the sweetness in other flavors, I use (very small amounts of) EM.

I don't consider EM interchangeable with sweetener. In fact, I don't find EM to be very sweet at all, on its own. Actually, I don't really consider either EM or Sweetener as "flavors" on their own. They're enhancers, in the same class as Smooth, Sour, AP, etc.

I have many recipes from a certain gentleman that call for as much as 8% sucralose. I've always gotten away with using 1/2 of what his recipes call for. I've left the sucralose out entirely and still like the results, so sweet is a very personal preference.

It's also a more flexible enhancer than EM. Too much EM will totally ruin a recipe.

I consider marshmallow somewhere between a flavor and a background enhancer. On its own it's pretty boring. Yes, it's sweet, but there's other stuff going on with it as well. I use it like I'd use marshmallows, to impart thick, fluffy, sticky, non-dairy sweetness. Yeah, that's marshmallow...it binds other flavors into gooey sticky sweetness. Just remember that with marshmallow you are also Adding Sweetness. Too much of it and everything kind of degenerates into a cloyingly thick sticky gooey mess.

If I want simple dairy sweetness (free of vanilla and other flavors), I use FA Meringue or CAP Sweet Cream. Have yet to find a whipped cream that doesn't taste strange to me.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  32. anavidfan

anavidfan Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Ditto on most of the replies... I use mostly or all VG so its sweet enough for me.

I did get some marshmallow once, was trying to get a coffee for a friend and I that occasionally like a latte . The marshmallow made it a tad sweeter, but it also made the coils gunk up.

As I come along with vaping, and DIY, Ive found I enjoy real light flavors. I make most of mine with 1 to 3% flavor. The only DIY I use up to 40% extract are my tobacco NET DIY.

33. PatheticMr.

PatheticMr. Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    If a recipe calls for sweetener as a 'necessity' then I tend to go for sucralose. However, the more I've used it, the more I dislike it.

Like others have said, EM really mutes everything for me too. Tbh, I don't even find a mix with EM to be sweeter than without.

I can taste sucralose - or at least feels it. It gives a sort of oily effect for me (I can't quite find another way to describe it but I can feel it on my lips).

+1 for FA marshmallow - this actually sweetens a mix and doesn't have any negative effects on other flavours (that I've noticed so far).

34. suprtrkr

suprtrkr Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I tend to use TFA "Sweetener," which is sucralose in PG.

AndriaD likes this.