Become a Patron!

Suggestions and thoughts

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
OK. So I've been using top fill drippers for over a year now, and I tried squonking briefly but really didn't get on with it. However, due to my Mrs being unhappy with me filling my dripper whilst driving (at least while she is in the car lol) so I'm looking for suggestions as to a good bottom fed RDA.

Last time I squonked was with a council of vapor wraith kit. The rda that came with it was ok but a bit too short for my liking as I do vape like a fecking choo choo and it got way too hot, got given a vandy vape pulse but again didn't seem to get on with that either.

At this point I realise it may seem like a fussy bugger but I'm really not. All I'm doing here is looking for personal recommendations and ideas. No wrong answers. What would you suggest? :)

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK. So I've been using top fill drippers for over a year now, and I tried squonking briefly but really didn't get on with it. However, due to my Mrs being unhappy with me filling my dripper whilst driving (at least while she is in the car lol) so I'm looking for suggestions as to a good bottom fed RDA.

Last time I squonked was with a council of vapor wraith kit. The rda that came with it was ok but a bit too short for my liking as I do vape like a fecking choo choo and it got way too hot, got given a vandy vape pulse but again didn't seem to get on with that either.

At this point I realise it may seem like a fussy bugger but I'm really not. All I'm doing here is looking for personal recommendations and ideas. No wrong answers. What would you suggest? :)
Something with a ultum top cap won't get as hot. But do you want flavor or clouds.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My go to squonker has been the Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2 with the Coral 2 RDA. The atty is a single coil with wide open air... I get a good warm vape without blistering my lips even when chain vaping. Being single coil means I also get decent battery life out of a 2x700 cell.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
Something with a ultum top cap won't get as hot. But do you want flavor or clouds.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
I'm gonna say clouds bud as tbh I usually make up 100ml of 1 flavour and vape it till its gone before I make my next rather than having loads of flavours ready mixed. 100ml lasts me between 2 and 3 days and I can barely taste it by the start of day 2 lol

My go to squonker has been the Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2 with the Coral 2 RDA. The atty is a single coil with wide open air... I get a good warm vape without blistering my lips even when chain vaping. Being single coil means I also get decent battery life out of a 2x700 cell.

And I'll take a peek at that thanks :)

I've not got a squonk mod atm as I gave the wraith to my nephew when I found out he started smoking at school (he hasn't smoked since apparently and is now one of the vape crowd there) but I'll build one when i make my mind up what rda I want to try. Keep the ideas coming :)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd say get a Pico squeeze v1, or a DS-style 1:1 clone, or even a TS-style.. You can buy almost 1 of each, or maybe 3x Pico Squeeze v1 for the price of the v2 Squeeze.

I last ran the ds-style for 3 straight days.. I pulled the cells rather than refill and still had about 3.5v on them. YMMV

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
Thanks PoppaVic, I'll. Take them into consideration :)

Also the Coral looks OK, but those posts look tiny and I'm not a huge fan of wrapping coil legs around threaded bolts :/. I tried running a squonk pin in an apocolypse RDA as i really liked it but it just didn't seem to 'gel' if that makes sense. Fwiw I'm currently running goon v.1.5 and love it if that helps anyone with better product knowledge who might want to chip in? :)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oy.. If you need a squonker-rda as well, always buy that by itself.

The Wasp Nano, or SXK Basic, or Recurve, or SXK Haku.. I prefer the Wasp Nano and Basic over Hakclone, and I have yet to try the Recurve. Cost of the first 2? Under $15. Recurve authentic is nearly double.

Personally, I hate the goddamned "clamps" of the goons, so the rda that came with my DS-style is not getting used.. I just can't be bothered today to care about it.

The wasp or Basic are really "go-to" investments on the cheap.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Also the Coral looks OK, but those posts look tiny and I'm not a huge fan of wrapping coil legs around threaded bolts :/. I tried running a squonk pin in an apocolypse RDA as i really liked it but it just didn't seem to 'gel' if that makes sense. Fwiw I'm currently running goon v.1.5 and love it if that helps anyone with better product knowledge who might want to chip in? :)
You can get a BF pin for the Goon.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm gonna say clouds bud as tbh I usually make up 100ml of 1 flavour and vape it till its gone before I make my next rather than having loads of flavours ready mixed. 100ml lasts me between 2 and 3 days and I can barely taste it by the start of day 2 lol

And I'll take a peek at that thanks :)

I've not got a squonk mod atm as I gave the wraith to my nephew when I found out he started smoking at school (he hasn't smoked since apparently and is now one of the vape crowd there) but I'll build one when i make my mind up what rda I want to try. Keep the ideas coming :)

The Goon 1.5 should come with a squonk pin to BF, so that is half the battle right there, as you already know what you like.

As for mods, it's often easier to say what to avoid rather than what is best. Am also assuming you are looking for a regulated mod

From personal experience, avoid the Ijoy Capo and Pulse for sure, as well as off-brands like the Aleader

The Pico Squeeze V1 is very inexpensive and squonks well, but isn't meant for chunky builds that need a lot of heat.

A lot of folks are enjoying the V2, haven't personally tried one yet.

The VT Inbox is a nicely priced mid-grade single battery squonker; the newer version have softer bottles than the OG

If you don't mind a larger size, Geekvape Gbox is a good value, but its a big sucker. A real workhorse though

I'm hearing a lot of problems with the Basium, another double battery but fairly new on the market.

The Lost Vape Therion squonker, DNA75 C is okayish, battery is kinda fidgety though

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The Coral 1 sucks!!!! The Coral 2 is easy enough to build on... Wrap your coil (I'm using 2x26x36 ss316l fused Claptons @3mm), poke 'em in, tighten, trim, straighten, wick, juice, vape. I can almost build it as fast as you can read it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The Coral 1 sucks!!!! The Coral 2 is easy enough to build on... Wrap your coil (I'm using 2x26x36 ss316l fused Claptons @3mm), poke 'em in, tighten, trim, straighten, wick, juice, vape. I can almost build it as fast as you can read it.

The original Coral was arguably the worst attie ever put on the market

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
The Goon 1.5 should come with a squonk pin to BF, so that is half the battle right there, as you already know what you like.

As for mods, it's often easier to say what to avoid rather than what is best. Am also assuming you are looking for a regulated mod

From personal experience, avoid the Ijoy Capo and Pulse for sure, as well as off-brands like the Aleader

The Pico Squeeze V1 is very inexpensive and squonks well, but isn't meant for chunky builds that need a lot of heat.

A lot of folks are enjoying the V2, haven't personally tried one yet.

The VT Inbox is a nicely priced mid-grade single battery squonker; the newer version have softer bottles than the OG

If you don't mind a larger size, Geekvape Gbox is a good value, but its a big sucker. A real workhorse though

I'm hearing a lot of problems with the Basium, another double battery but fairly new on the market.

The Lost Vape Therion squonker, DNA75 C is okayish, battery is kinda fidgety though
Tbh I was going to build something so probably an ipwm or unregulated. Sledzuk do a funky biohazard squonk enclosure that looks fun and failing that I prefer big and chunky mods anyways. I drop them often so having an earth shaking thud when I do is handy as it let's me know whats happened ;) one of the reasons I loved the koopor primus. Solid as a rock that one was. One of the tactile buttons let it down :( I miss it.

The thing is I like to keep the goon set up as is kind of as an 'ol faithful'. I could get another I suppose set up for BF whilst driving. As it stands it would probably be left in the car most of the time.

Well I've got some to look into as I fancy a driving setup. Please keep the ideas coming guys as it all helps :)

Oy.. If you need a squonker-rda as well, always buy that by itself.

The Wasp Nano, or SXK Basic, or Recurve, or SXK Haku.. I prefer the Wasp Nano and Basic over Hakclone, and I have yet to try the Recurve. Cost of the first 2? Under $15. Recurve authentic is nearly double.

Personally, I hate the goddamned "clamps" of the goons, so the rda that came with my DS-style is not getting used.. I just can't be bothered today to care about it.

The wasp or Basic are really "go-to" investments on the cheap.

Really PoppaVic? I quite liked the clamps, I found them easier for thicker builds, but, each to their own and that's why I set out asking for opinions :)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of curiosity, why would you recommend a clone instead of an authentic?
Because: 1) I am cheap; 2) I don't have experience with "authentic" in those cases.

I'm not a huge fan of sending "newbies" off to invest in Authentics I can't justify - and I am not even sure they still sell the DS. If a clone pleases you, by all means: feel free to invest in an authentic.

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year

Yes but there are some things a gentleman shouldn't rush, and this, in my opinion, is one of them. I like to take my time, set the mood, enjoy it at my own pace ;)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really PoppaVic? I quite liked the clamps, I found them easier for thicker builds, but, each to their own and that's why I set out asking for opinions

Yeah, I was curious myself - but gawdamn.. I fought and lost... I had an easier time on the 502 clone when I removed the clamp and "went-kayfun" on it, so I might try the same on the goon. I find the wasp style of clamp sooooo much easier to struggle with - stick a leg under, lock it; repeat.; stretch, wick, wet and ROCK.

And, "oooooohhhhhhhh" - I don't have these "thicker builds" - I tend to simple, simple-parallel, and simple clapton-tests (round and flat).

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
And I am a clone person with RDA's. There is little that can be ballsed up, I usually just keep an eye on the o-rings. And these days I'd rather build mods than buy them. Not because I'm cheap just because I'm poor lol

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Tbh I was going to build something so probably an ipwm or unregulated. Sledzuk do a funky biohazard squonk enclosure that looks fun and failing that I prefer big and chunky mods anyways. I drop them often so having an earth shaking thud when I do is handy as it let's me know whats happened ;) one of the reasons I loved the koopor primus. Solid as a rock that one was. One of the tactile buttons let it down :( I miss it.

The thing is I like to keep the goon set up as is kind of as an 'ol faithful'. I could get another I suppose set up for BF whilst driving. As it stands it would probably be left in the car most of the time.

Well I've got some to look into as I fancy a driving setup. Please keep the ideas coming guys as it all helps :)

Really PoppaVic? I quite liked the clamps, I found them easier for thicker builds, but, each to their own and that's why I set out asking for opinions :)

Am a Goon enthusiast also - haven't tried the 1.5, mainly because I love the OG and have several already

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Get an RTA for when on the road if squonking isn't on the table. Lowest barrier of entry for what you have and you can get clouds for days.

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
One other thing I'd add is I am 6ft tall and 16 stone with mechanics hands. I am not not the best with small build decks. I like 24mm and upwards and not Diddy thread a needle posts :) also, since starting drippers, tanks seem to do naff all for me. Anyone else find that or is it just me?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
One other thing I'd add is I am 6ft tall and 16 stone with mechanics hands. I am not not the best with small build decks. I like 24mm and upwards and not Diddy thread a needle posts :) also, since starting drippers, tanks seem to do naff all for me. Anyone else find that or is it just me?

Everyone's different - I detest dripping; flavor is there but what a hassle

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
And said:
have[/B] these "thicker builds" - I tend to simple, simple-parallel, and simple clapton-tests (round and flat).

Tbh I used to be the same but for the pennies it costs for either pre built coils or wire it can be worth experimenting. Cheap and cheerful. Plus I started to learn how to build 'gucci' stuff. It' not a bad way to spend hours and hours, screaming swearwords repeatedly at spinning kanthal while you wonder how in the name of fuck those youtubers made it look so easy. . . . . . .

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"clouds for days" made me gag a little - time for more vodka.

I am absolutely committed to my vt133's and tanks, as well as squonking. I am pretty well done with tank-buys: the OBS nano's are serving admirably (although I still am bemused at the change in the posts on my two). The RDA's are all but done - I keep LOOKING, but sheesh: wtf is mobetta than the price/performance of a Wasp Nano or sxk-BASIC

And, yes: I am cheap. Frugal even.. No reason to spend more than $15 on an RDA, or $2-3 on a bottle. I look and watch, but I am not seeing anything like a quantum-leap.

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
You may have a point there on RDA design. Someuing to think about. I mean where exactly could the design features improve? Its pretty basic really.

nothing wrong with being frugal my friend!

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate working on cars and shit - I always end up beaten and bleeding.

As a an old, 5' 11" cook, programmer, and half-ass electronics-boffin of just under 200#, I LIKE the fiddle of coils and atty, mod and shit.. What i am suffering now is bifocals, (that apparently need to be trifocals), and more and more the cataracts develop: I can no longer whip off the glasses to GET CLOSE AND PERSONAL - that range of focus is now lost as well. The hands are starting to suffer various arthritis and other, but coils and whatnot are NOT an issue - it's the "strong grip" part that is becoming failstew.

Velocity posts don't NEED to be needle-thin, and side-slot posts similarly can be easy. I'm well past that horseshit of stacking wire in one hole from opposite sides, and that "CLAMP" stuff just suggests "I want to stick house-wiring in here - in the flex-armor!"

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gbox decided to shit on me.. Packaging it all up to send to a 3dprinter/Electronics boffin that has never seen a squonker. I will be avvenged!

I knew that battery-flapper would be an issue. Gimme a good, solid sled. The vt133 has the best sled I've ever used. And, you should always be able to "get inside" to iso the board/contacts.

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
I hate working on cars and shit - I always end up beaten and bleeding.

As a an old, 5' 11" cook, programmer, and half-ass electronics-boffin of just under 200#, I LIKE the fiddle of coils and atty, mod and shit.. What i am suffering now is bifocals, (that apparently need to be trifocals), and more and more the cataracts develop: I can no longer whip off the glasses to GET CLOSE AND PERSONAL - that range of focus is now lost as well. The hands are starting to suffer various arthritis and other, but coils and whatnot are NOT an issue - it's the "strong grip" part that is becoming failstew.

Velocity posts don't NEED to be needle-thin, and side-slot posts similarly can be easy. I'm well past that horseshit of stacking wire in one hole from opposite sides, and that "CLAMP" stuff just suggests "I want to stick house-wiring in here - in the flex-armor!"
I feel you on the arthritis. Rosehip capsules. I didn't think they would
Have any effect for a second but my mrs nagged me down and to be honest it eases it a little. (Not that i would ever tell her that)

Now here' a thought, why couldn't you use a 240v uk plug connection in building an rda? It' certanly going to have no bother holding any coil anyone can build, it'l flow more current than would ever be needed, it's brazable and being brass can easily be modded to size/shape. . . It would look like something mad max would vape. Hmmmmm m

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just turn off the FIRE button and build on my DNA mods, dryfire light, wick, move to wherever, juice and go.

Mandrels are handy.

Tall Pines

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the look of the recurve, anybody got experience with it?
When I first got the recurve. I was having a spit back issue. I found it was from the way I was building it. Not this is a none issue and it is one of my favorite rdas. I just bought 2 of the new top caps for this rda. I dont know how, but to me the flavor as just gotten better.

VU Sponsors