Become a Patron!

Super harsh?!?

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
So, I've been getting a chunk of DIY from the community here and I've noticed something. While some of them are super smooth and great ... A number of them (different flavors from different people) have the same super harsh, almost chemical taste on the exhale. I have experienced this before on mfg juices. I've been told that this is commonly a steeping issue. But some of these have been steeping for almost 20 days and it's not mellowing out. Another theory I've heard is about the base brands. Could it be that I just don't like a specific brand of VG/PG/Nic??

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

Just ran into something here that might shed some light for you professionals. If I just barely get enough juice to saturate the wick, and then let it wick to the coil, but not drip directly on the coil (i.e. squonking) ... then that harshness subsides substantially but the flavor still comes through, at least for this one flavor I've tried this with.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Could it be that I just don't like a specific brand of VG/PG/Nic??

Yes - it is also possible you don't like specific flavorings even if other people swear by them

Also, it is well-known that different people taste different properties in the flavorings of juice - and it can also be influenced greatly by the type of hardware you are using

Some recipes need steeping, others do not, and some will taste bad to one person but not another - but might be good in one attie and but not another....

Best practice is to make small batches the first time trying a recipe and if you like it, vape it. If you don't like it, don't make it again, even if it seems like it should be good

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What the Juicy lady said.

Also, if you want to share the recipes that are harsh, we could try to pinpoint the culprit.

Make sure you shake the shit out of your nicotine so you dont get hot spots.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
The flavors themselves are excellent. I like the taste. But, that harsh chemical exhale is killer.

it can also be influenced greatly by the type of hardware you are using

Yah this was my first thought. Tried a couple of them in differen't set-ups and different power ranges. Same burn no matter what. Which is kind of why I went to the content idea.

it is also possible you don't like specific flavorings even if other people swear by them
Not sure there's any cross-over flavorings in any of the ones that are the main culprits. Don't know for sure since I didn't mix them.

Also, if you want to share the recipes that are harsh, we could try to pinpoint the culprit.
Make sure you shake the shit out of your nicotine so you dont get hot spots.
I didn't mix them. They came from members of the community.

The strange part is that they are massively different flavors from different people (Pink Lemonade, from one person, and Mango, from another, can't have any crossover flavorings lol) Which is why I'm thinking maybe it's the pg or nic brand. I'll contact them and see if they use the same brand vs. the couple I got from 1 person that I don't seem to have problems with.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The flavors themselves are excellent. I like the taste. But, that harsh chemical exhale is killer.

Yah this was my first thought. Tried a couple of them in differen't set-ups and different power ranges. Same burn no matter what. Which is kind of why I went to the content idea.

Not sure there's any cross-over flavorings in any of the ones that are the main culprits. Don't know for sure since I didn't mix them.

I didn't mix them. They came from members of the community.

The strange part is that they are massively different flavors from different people (Pink Lemonade, from one person, and Mango, from another, can't have any crossover flavorings lol) Which is why I'm thinking maybe it's the pg or nic brand. I'll contact them and see if they use the same brand vs. the couple I got from 1 person that I don't seem to have problems with.
Oh yeah that's going to be tough then lol. Some fruit flavors are harsh by themselves and require another flavor to smooth them out. Good luck!

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Just ran into something here that might shed some light for you professionals. If I just barely get enough juice to saturate the wick, and then let it wick to the coil, but not drip directly on the coil (i.e. squonking) ... then that harshness subsides substantially but the flavor still comes through, at least for this one flavor I've tried this with.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Like I said above, many different factors can affect taste

Many serious vapers in the day when many commercial juices were still made by individuals took how the mixer vaped into consideration when deciding if they'd try a juice, as the recipe was created and deemed good on certain types of hardware with certain coils, each different from another's brand

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm thinking it's very likely the nicotine. Many, possibly MOST of us, can't tell a bit of diff in this or that nicotine... but some are more sensitive, and need the super-refined ultra-smooth nicotine.

And the different power levels is another excellent point that Ms Juicy brings up -- everyone tells me that my 23% recipe of strawberry & cream, which uses 13.5% shisha strawberry, is much too strong -- but at my 10w, it's lovely. Not my problem if others vape at ridiculous wattages -- if they vaped at 10-20 watts, that recipe would suit them fine.

Andria

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Like I said above, many different factors can affect taste

Many serious vapers in the day when many commercial juices were still made by individuals took how the mixer vaped into consideration when deciding if they'd try a juice, as the recipe was created and deemed good on certain types of hardware with certain coils, each different from another's brand
So ... back to the drawing board lol. Feels like starting all over. Back when I got my first sub-ohm tank It took me a while to figure out how to use it to my liking. Kinda feels like that again :D But that's ok. I always say vaping is a process. If your not willing to put time into figure out what works for you then your not ready to vape :D
Plus I have tha dded bonus of being a builder. So I can build to the juice, if/when I figure out what works with it lol

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, I've been getting a chunk of DIY from the community here and I've noticed something. While some of them are super smooth and great ... A number of them (different flavors from different people) have the same super harsh, almost chemical taste on the exhale. I have experienced this before on mfg juices. I've been told that this is commonly a steeping issue. But some of these have been steeping for almost 20 days and it's not mellowing out. Another theory I've heard is about the base brands. Could it be that I just don't like a specific brand of VG/PG/Nic??
Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

After reading your post it sounds to me like it could be alcohol content which is solved by airing out the e-Liquid. Just a thought though since I haven't tasted it myself.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
(Pink Lemonade, from one person, and Mango, from another, can't have any crossover flavorings lol)

Just an FYI - there could easily be crossover with these two mixes despite the seemingly different profiles - could even be a sweetener

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
After reading your post it sounds to me like it could be alcohol content which is solved by airing out the e-Liquid. Just a thought though since I haven't tasted it myself.
Great!! Something to try is better than blindly troubleshooting

Just an FYI - there could easily be crossover with these two mixes despite the seemingly different profiles - could even be a sweetener
Don't know why I didn't take the sweetener into consideration.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Every CAP fruit flavor has a strange chemical aftertaste to me. Flavor itself is spot on then, ewww. Thought it was the alcohol, breathe it, steep it, never went away until I pitched them a month later. Now I don't use CAP fruit anymore, just chalked it up to my taste.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Every CAP fruit flavor has a strange chemical aftertaste to me. Flavor itself is spot on then, ewww. Thought it was the alcohol, breathe it, steep it, never went away until I pitched them a month later. Now I don't use CAP fruit anymore, just chalked it up to my taste.

I haven't liked ANY CAP flavors, except their Sweet Cream, which is right on the money. I even use it in food, since we eat a low-fat diet.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I actually read the stickies before posting. I'm an old hat at forums. I have stated a number of times in this thread that I didn't mix the juice, so I can't do any of those things

You can buy retail e-Liquids that contain alcohol since the manufacturers do not want to subject the e-Liquids to excessive expose to air which degrades nicotine. I have gotten a couple of fruity flavors that tasted like alcohol to me which could taste chemically to you. What can you lose by shaking it and letting it breathe for a bit?

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
You can buy retail e-Liquids that contain alcohol since the manufacturers do not want to subject the e-Liquids to excessive expose to air which degrades nicotine. I have gotten a couple of fruity flavors that tasted like alcohol to me which could taste chemically to you. What can you lose by shaking it and letting it breathe for a bit?
That comment was not directed at you. The sticky that Ron referred me to didn't contain information about alcohol and breathing and it is definitely something worth looking into. The sticky was about testing your contents individually if there's a problem with taste.
And I alsways shake before I drip. I'm an ooold school vaper and back in the day almost all elquids settled. So it's just habbit

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hadn't thought of alcohol, but that's another quite likely culprit -- when I used to ask about ways to increase TH, I was advised "grain alcohol" as one possibility, but being a recovering alkie, I don't care to go that route. But when I first open even "creamy" type flavors, when they're brand new from TFA, they smell EXTREMELY alcoholic... it fades over time. Letting them breathe by leaving the cap off a little while would be a way to check and maybe make the juice more to your liking.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That comment was not directed at you. The sticky that Ron referred me to didn't contain information about alcohol and breathing and it is definitely something worth looking into. The sticky was about testing your contents individually if there's a problem with taste.
And I alsways shake before I drip. I'm an ooold school vaper and back in the day almost all elquids settled. So it's just habbit

No, I understood it wasn't directed at me but when you said you don't DIY I thought how many of the retail liquids I have had that tasted funky until I let them breathe. No harm no foul~!

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I hadn't thought of alcohol, but that's another quite likely culprit -- when I used to ask about ways to increase TH, I was advised "grain alcohol" as one possibility, but being a recovering alkie, I don't care to go that route. But when I first open even "creamy" type flavors, when they're brand new from TFA, they smell EXTREMELY alcoholic... it fades over time. Letting them breathe by leaving the cap off a little while would be a way to check and maybe make the juice more to your liking.

Andria
No, I understood it wasn't directed at me but when you said you don't DIY I thought how many of the retail liquids I have had that tasted funky until I let them breathe. No harm no foul~!
This is definitely one of the culprits. I popped the caps yesterday, and at the suggestion of a friend, shook the everloving snot out of them until it was FULL of bubbles. Then let them sit until the bubbles all came up. I squeezed the air out of the bottle and repeated the process everytime I thought about it. This seems to be helping a ton. The burn is not completely gone but t's a MAJOR improvement so far. They are still sitting open and I'm still doing shake and breath today.

Now I can start evaluating the taste more. Thank you guys so much for the inputs!! :D

VU Sponsors