Become a Patron!

Sweets killing my coils. Please help!

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, I've never DIY'd before but I'm really itching to give it a go. I have one problem. I love sweet juice but the sweeteners clog up my coils and burn them out within 24hrs. If I wanted to make some sweet juice, whats the best practice for doing so without killing my coils so quickly? I don't know why sweet juices do this to my coils or if there is even a way to prevent it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Is there a certain type of juice to stay away from or a different type of sweetener. I'm just at a loss...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Personally, I've never had to use any sweeteners in my mixes and I like sweet vapes! Sweeteners always killed my coils when I was buying pre-made stuff. Since DIY, they last a LOT longer.

Moving this to the DIY General Discussion. Larger crowd, more solutions. :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I've never had to use any sweeteners in my mixes and I like sweet vapes! Sweeteners always killed my coils when I was buying pre-made stuff. Since DIY, they last a LOT longer.

Moving this to the DIY General Discussion. Larger crowd, more solutions. :)

Ditto! I've never had to add sweetener :) There seem to be enough sweeter favors to make things taste right (I find sweetener adds a funky taste).

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another thing popped into my mind. IF I need to sweeten up a mix, I use flavors like Meringue or Marshmallow. Depends on the mix. HIC suggested Pear or Lychee can be used at small % as sweeteners, without really altering the flavors you're shooting for.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Awesome! Thanks guys. Yeah, it's always been the pre-made juice that gunked up my coils so I really have no idea what's been put into the mix. I just always assumed it was some kind of sweeteners. So if I just buy the sweet flavors, they should be sweet enough and not gunk up my coils as fast??

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's true, regular maintenance is simply part of vaping, but I do agree that the sweeteners had me doing that toooo frequently. I had one juice that gunked up within hours. With that said...

My main stash if FlavourArt (FA). I also frequently use The Flavor Apprentice (TFA). Others I use, Capella's (Caps), Inawera (INW) and only a couple from Nature's Flavors (NF). They all have their great ones, but my main stuff is always FA, so far. Can't imagine it not being, at this point.

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
Also need to ask what setup you are using? I know most sweet "house" and high vg juice will gunk up a standad kanger or aspire oem coils(which can be rebuilt easily), from back in the day. The newer sub ohm tanks run at higher wattage's and tend not to gunk up. like @Mike H. . said very well, RTA's (Orchid, Kayfun, ECT) and RDA's (drippers) just need to dry burn and be rewicked every few tanks.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you guys! Such great info and it really appreciated, you not talking to me like I'm stupid for being a noob. I'm currently only using the kanger subtank nano and the weak iStick 20. I plan on upgrading very soon.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is it the cheap generic flavor brands that give your juice that nasty perfume/chemical taste Or is that just not knowing the correct ration to mix everything?

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
There is nothing wrong with your setup for starting out, it is way better and cheaper($) than I started with years ago And yes most "inexpensive" house blends seem to foul out coils. With the Kanger OCC coils I have had luck with replacing the organic cotton and dry burning the coil. Check youtube and you will find videos to help you perform this. Organic Cotton you can get it off Amazon rather cheap.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
some quick tips for sweeter results without gunkier coils

* VG is sweeter than PG, so if you can vape higher VG, it's automatic extra sweetness
* The less flavoring you use the less gunky coils will get. You can make your mixes less flavorful, or you can use more concentrated flavorings
* Instead of adding sweeteners, try concentrated, strongly-sweet flavors as accents; combine several at very low %s to avoid distinct flavor
* Darker-colored flavorings tend to leave more junk behind on coils.
* Crappy, "spicy," "peppery," cheap nic will zap sweetness every time

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
some quick tips for sweeter results without gunkier coils

* VG is sweeter than PG, so if you can vape higher VG, it's automatic extra sweetness
* The less flavoring you use the less gunky coils will get. You can make your mixes less flavorful, or you can use more concentrated flavorings
* Instead of adding sweeteners, try concentrated, strongly-sweet flavors as accents; combine several at very low %s to avoid distinct flavor
* Darker-colored flavorings tend to leave more junk behind on coils.
* Crappy, "spicy," "peppery," cheap nic will zap sweetness every time
Excellent advice! Where is the best website to buy everything? I was looking at a few and reading reviews. I saw My freedom smokes has a peppery nicotine. Kinda wanna stay away from that.

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
Most of us like Vaportek Nic, it is alot cleaner and seems to allow your to use lower percentages of flavoring. I started with Myfreedomsmokes and it really was peppery and had a strong throat hit. I use ecigexpress (sign up for news letter for discount codes), bullcityvapor, and just placed my first order with mamajsflavorshop.com (has 3ml sample cheap). pg and vg I get from essential depot by the gallon. for less you can get from venders or through amazon. here is a link to most flavor vendors and prices https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...X0xwSU83a3pGTDBwam5xaWJjVkE&usp=sharing#gid=0

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Most of us like Vaportek Nic, it is alot cleaner and seems to allow your to use lower percentages of flavoring. I started with Myfreedomsmokes and it really was peppery and had a strong throat hit. I use ecigexpress (sign up for news letter for discount codes), bullcityvapor, and just placed my first order with mamajsflavorshop.com (has 3ml sample cheap). pg and vg I get from essential depot by the gallon. for less you can get from venders or through amazon. here is a link to most flavor vendors and prices https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...X0xwSU83a3pGTDBwam5xaWJjVkE&usp=sharing#gid=0
Thank you!!!

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
I forgot to mention one, some people like Nude Nicotine (I haven't tried it), but they have a 15ml sample you can get for $2.00 shipping charge. Basically you can get 15ml of 100mg nicotine for $2.00 if you choose the highest milligram they offer. that will mix quite a few bottles of juice. I mix at 6mg so that would mix 8.3 - 30ml bottles of juice for me.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I forgot to mention one, some people like Nude Nicotine (I haven't tried it), but they have a 15ml sample you can get for $2.00 shipping charge. Basically you can get 15ml of 100mg nicotine for $2.00 if you choose the highest milligram they offer. that will mix quite a few bottles of juice. I mix at 6mg so that would mix 8.3 - 30ml bottles of juice for me.
That's a pretty good sample bottle! That would be 16.6 bottles for me cause I vape 3mg. Not bad for 2 bucks!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors