Become a Patron!

Switched from Mavation X to KGD

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
I had done a review if the Mavation X and was using that for a while. I saw how much I got and figured this will last me forever!

I'm already almost out of it! Granted I got like 25 new tanks and RDAs in that I wicked but yeah it didn't last nearly as long as I thought it would. It's still the best quality cotton I've used for flavor and fairly easy wicking. The fluffiness is intense.

However I thought I'd try out some Koh Gen Do as that was potentially much more cost effective. I imagine if I spent $90 or something and got the Mavation X in bulk it might be around the same cost in terms of cost per wick.

This Koh Gen Do stuff is pretty great though. I think I might get a LITTLE better flavor off of the Mavation X but any is difference is negligible to the point that I can't even confidently say definitively that it exists at all lol. Certainly not enough to justify the price difference if you get the pint jar at $32.

Yeah this KGD wicks faster and is easier to work with. I waste a lot less cotton overall because you just cut the amount you need. It's less annoying priming it because it just soaks the cotton right up right away whereas the Mavation X or Drago (more so with Mavation X though) the juice likes to bounce off of the cotton at first.

I feel the price of the KGD and vape you get off it makes it much more worth what you pay. It's still organic as well which is nice. It's almost as easy to work with as cotton bacon. It's probably easier overall if you consider you always know how much to use there's not nearly as much guessing when it comes to figuring out the amount you need.

If you do end up with too much it'll only be off by a touch because you'll cut about the same amount from experience. I hear people say the Muji is cheaper but you have to consider the pads are larger and possibly fluffier. I know they're larger anyway.

I think I'll be sticking to this stuff for quite some time. I also like that I can easily to Scottish rolls with it. Pretty big advantage IMO. I did a test with a wick that I did a little too tight when i first got it to see how resilient it was to browning/burning. I ran it pretty dry and the cotton looked untouched and white as ever!

The other thing I feel I wish people mentioned more is I get zero break in with stuff. I'd say even less than the Mavation X. I mean really no break in that I can taste. Even when I wicked it too tight I didn't notice any cotton taste!

I may have jumped the gun on saying that the Mavation X would last me a while but I can tell this stuff definitely will. Considering at MOST I need 1/4 of a pad and there's 60 pads. Even then realistically it's probably 1/5 or under that.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, koh gen doh is great :) it's fluffy and unbleached, and the grain is long and straight, so it holds together well

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
Yeah, koh gen doh is great :) it's fluffy and unbleached, and the grain is long and straight, so it holds together well

Yes. This. I wrote this somewhere else but I realized that's how it wicks so fast. The strands are all nice and uniform so the juice just flow right up it easily.

That's one of my favorite things about it because it saves cotton. If you were to cut too much by you can pull it apart and know you can tear it evenly right down the middle. With other stuff this is not so and you end up with two uneven pieces with some parts too thick and others too thin.

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the club. I like trying different wick brands but always come back to KGD.

:) Well I can certainly see why. I'm gonna try a Scottish roll with it. The only thing is I know KGD is on the thicker side so I hope some videos show the method using KGD so it doesn't end up being TOO thick.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
:) Well I can certainly see why. I'm gonna try a Scottish roll with it. The only thing is I know KGD is on the thicker side so I hope some videos show the method using KGD so it doesn't end up being TOO thick.
Scottish roll is great, I don’t pull mine as thin as the youtubers. I just pull enough to about double the original width, works well with my thick juices. I do use rayon for a couple of juices but only because the wick lasts a bit longer than kgd. If you've tried COTN threads they are somewhat similar to a Scottish roll wick.

VU Sponsors