sx350 help

joey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Ok so I have one question really. Ok on tue sx350 the white wire goes to the center of the 510. The stock fire switch gets cut off and wired to anti vandal. The black neg gets moved to bat- for reverse polarity protection if you decide. Then get soldered to neg on battery holder. Red wire gets soldered to pos on battery holder. Other 3 wires go to usb. But my question is do I solder another black wire to neg on battery holder to either the outside of 510 or gets mounted to the box for a ground/return? Is that correct? Please let me know if I'm wrong on anything!

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Joey. It really depends on your case and your 510 adapter. If using something like a Cana case you can ground to the case since you're going to use a threaded 510 adapter. If using a plastic, wood, or other non-conductive case you need to ground to the 510 adapter. If something like a Hammond box you can do it either way , assuming you have a solid ground from 510 to case, but it seems most use a ground lug which grounds to both the case and the 510 (which makes sense since the ground lug can great a greater contact area between the 510 and the case).

joey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
I'm using a hammond 1590B. So it goes from either 510 or box to the negative on the battery holder correct? Also, can you post a link to one of these "lugs" I've never seen them

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2375022.jpg

This is the Fat Daddy Vapes (FDV) 510 connector. You can see the washer with the solder hole for a ground wire, this is the ground lug. With a Hammond box this is what I would use for a 510 and since they are only $6.00, it's a great piece for a pretty low price. You can use any 510 you like and use a good quality washer to solder to if you want, but grounding directly to the 510 would probably be best.

joey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
I googled it after I replied to you last night and that is the exact one I came up with. So, I'm definitely choosing that one. So just to clarify the wire will go from that washer to the negative side if the battery holder correct?

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In essence, yes. The way I did it was one wire going to the neg battery tab of the battery sled and a Y going to the 510 and the Batt - location on the SX350. I moved the board neg to the Batt - position for the reverse battery protection, but that's up to you although I highly recommend it.

joey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Ok ill definitely do the Y thing and yea I was planning to definitely move my neg wire over to bat- because my wife vapes and she's put a battery in upside down a time or two granted she hasn't in a long time but, I still don't want to take that chance when I'm going to be in there doing brain surgery anyway. Just out of curiosity do you use 18, 16, or 14 gauge wire? I was thinking of using 14 simply because they are continuously coming out with upgrades for this chip and I want to be 100% sure I'm good. Not that I'm probably ever going to go past 35watts but, I'm just curious whats your thoughts on that? You seem to really know your stuff and I'm pretty much just getting into the whole modding thing. Btw thanks for all your help!!!

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think 16ga will be just fine for future updates on this board, and it would be very difficult to solder 14ga to the very small solder pads on these boards. And forget about trying to get 14ga inside the board through holes, I couldn't get 16ga silicone wire into the through holes. So that makes using larger gauge wire difficult and very, very good soldering skills would be needed to get a good solder joint without producing so much heat the it detaches the solder pad from the board. I imagine 16ga wire would be fine up to 100watts.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm just a beginner to modding, although enjoying it thoroughly. I've done 5 mods with this board and learn something new with each. I just read a lot from the master modders here and elsewhere. Be sure to check out the Breaktru modders forum and the SX350 modders group on Facebook. Some really good info on both of those and some awesome mods to check out and get some ideas from.

itsmedant

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
+1 on Breakthru's forum.
There are some amazing people on there and a wealth of knowledge! I'm working out the kinks on my first okr box and wouldn't be anywhere close to being done with out the people on there.

VU Sponsors