Become a Patron!

TALK TO ME! :) THANKS

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Hello vape world. Just looking to help pass the time while I'm in class. So lets talk about anything and everything :) Hope to hear from you fog machines

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
It's college. I literally sit in front of a computer all day watching videos. I don't think it'll affect my grades by talking to people as long as i get my work done lol

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a job I'd like to have. Lol! What class is it?

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Sounds like a job I'd like to have. Lol! What class is it?
Computer Information Technology. To be a computer repairman. I had to restart since i transferred. So since I'm having to watch all these videos again I've been spending my time here on vu lol

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I majored in IT when I went back to school in 2008. Didn't get to finish (thank you, US government, for jerking the financial rug out from under me), so any repairs I do are for friends and usually free. Grrrr.....:gaah:

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I majored in IT when I went back to school in 2008. Didn't get to finish (thank you, US government, for jerking the financial rug out from under me), so any repairs I do are for friends and usually free. Grrrr.....:gaah:
My financial aid is serving me well as of now. But I haven't gotten to fix any computers yet. Not except for the ones here at school. So I don't have a price to charge people. But I can build computers. $100 for a standard pc. $200 for one with liquid coolant (pain in the ass)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know, I could use a new tower...lol!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We certainly aren't PC poor here....three laptops, a desktop, iPad, four android tabs, couple phones....my trusty desktop is getting some serious age on it though. To elaborate on that, I just upgraded the now defunct preinstalled Vista to Windows 8.1.... :giggle:

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
We certainly aren't PC poor here....three laptops, a desktop, iPad, four android tabs, couple phones....my trusty desktop is getting some serious age on it though. To elaborate on that, I just upgraded the now defunct preinstalled Vista to Windows 8.1.... :giggle:
Be careful with windows 8.1 it gets complicated and they replaced a lot of stuff. I stick with the ol'trusty (Windows 7)
But I've been wanting a better pc. Maybe one for gaming, but i can't afford it xD maybe I'll get lucky and build one from a bunch of scrap computers..... lol!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would much rather have W7, but it's a 32-bit and my copy of 7 is 64-bit. I knew it wasn't worth investing in another install disc, surprised it's lasted this long. Not my daily driver, so 8.1 will suffice till it bites the dust. I hated 8, one of MS biggest disappointments.

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Would much rather have W7, but it's a 32-bit and my copy of 7 is 64-bit. I knew it wasn't worth investing in another install disc, surprised it's lasted this long. Not my daily driver, so 8.1 will suffice till it bites the dust. I hated 8, one of MS biggest disappointments.
I agree. W8 was just them trying to copy those windows phones xD And if you have more than 4 Gbs of ram than i would install the 64-bit version. But if you have 4 or less i would stick with the 32-bit. Also upload_2018-3-20_9-49-24.png

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hello vape world. Just looking to help pass the time while I'm in class. So lets talk about anything and everything :) Hope to hear from you fog machines

Be careful, I thought my classes were so easy I could browse Vaping Underground in class, but it got out of hand and I found myself struggling

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Be careful, I thought my classes were so easy I could browse Vaping Underground in class, but it got out of hand and I found myself struggling
As of right now I am able to. But next trimester is when i get into networking (Pain in the arse) I'm not ready for next trimester :,( xD

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate 10 too, did the free upgrade on my laptop when it first came out and screwed it up royally. And the desktop has 250-something mb of ram, so....no. It's around 8 or 9 years old, just gonna let it die peacefully of old age eventually. Guess I'll be stuck with 10 after that, since support for 7 ends in a couple years. Hell, I still miss XP.....

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As of right now I am able to. But next trimester is when i get into networking (Pain in the arse) I'm not ready for next trimester :,( xD

That's me, one class is just Microsoft Office, no problem, but the Intro to Programming is all over the place...from 5 point "type it in and run it" assignments to sudden 200 point research assignments where I have to apparently learn how other languages than the one in this class (Python) work...oof

Last edited:

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I hate 10 too, did the free upgrade on my laptop when it first came out and screwed it up royally. And the desktop has 250-something mb of ram, so....no. It's around 8 or 9 years old, just gonna let it die peacefully of old age eventually. Guess I'll be stuck with 10 after that, since support for 7 ends in a couple years. Hell, I still miss XP.....
Your computer sounds like an e-machine lol and I'm not a big fan of 10 either but i think it's better than 8 and 8.1. I miss xp too but not vista. Too many service packs and hotfixes. But in my personal opinion I think 7 and Linux (Ubuntu) will always be the superiors.

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
That's me, one class is just Microsoft Office, no problem, but the Intro to Programming is all over the place...from 5 point "type it in and run it" assignments to sudden 200 point researcg assignments where I have to apparently learn how other languages than the one in this class (Python) work...oof
I get confused trying to determine the subnet mask just by looking at the IPv4 address. And setting up a server is such a pain I'm ready to cry just thinking about it lol

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I get confused trying to determine the subnet mask just by looking at the IPv4 address. And setting up a server is such a pain I'm ready to cry just thinking about it lol

You could watch some tutorials or read guides instead of chatting on VU, it'll make you feel better if you get it to click

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I've got a laptop from 2006 tucked away in a bag, with hundreds of pictures of my daughter and other photos, I'm scared to touch it lol.

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
You could watch some tutorials or read guides instead of chatting on VU, it'll make you feel better if you get it to click
I do a lot of typing tests to keep myself busy lol. And I was almost finished with this whole trimesters work but they reset my account so i had to start all over. I'll be caught up here within an hour, thankfully

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am on Window 7 and it does what I need it to do.

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
funny%252Cmemes%252Clol%252Clough%252Cfunny+pics%252Crage+comics%252Crage+faces%252Cfunny+memes%252Crofl%252Cfunny+rage+comics+%2528100%2529.jpg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When extended support for W7 ends in 2020, I'll go into mourning. Anything they've come up with since is ridiculous IMO, and sometimes I wonder if MS isn't just sitting back laughing at us with every new OS release. They're certainly pushing me towards Linux or Ubuntu.
I've got a laptop from 2006 tucked away in a bag, with hundreds of pictures of my daughter and other photos, I'm scared to touch it lol.
I would save everything in that machine to Dropbox and breathe easy. ;)

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
When extended support for W7 ends in 2020, I'll go into mourning. Anything they've come up with since is ridiculous IMO, and sometimes I wonder if MS isn't just sitting back laughing at us with every new OS release. They're certainly pushing me towards Linux or Ubuntu.

I would save everything in that machine to Dropbox and breathe easy. ;)
Ubuntu is always a great choice. And I think these newer pc's are made to break faster than the old ones, that way you will come back and buy more from them.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, With 10 MS went for something to span across devices. They shouldn't have.

And those oem pc's are built to last as long as the warranty. Using sub par parts from vendors who make for bulk pricing and proprietary so they can get you roped in.

OK. Do your homework now - :D
20160421_152833.jpg 20160421_174740.jpg
20160514_125505.jpg
X3.jpg
bttm.jpg
side.jpg

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Yeah, With 10 MS went for something to span across devices. They shouldn't have.

And those oem pc's are built to last as long as the warranty. Using sub par parts from vendors who make for bulk pricing and proprietary so they can get you roped in.

Looks sexy af. 8Gbs of ram i'm assuming. Processor probably runs around 3.7gHz and is (best guess) quad core since you have a liquid coolant.

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile

Just noticed the i5 in the pic. So i was right lol. Yours take DDR3 or DDR4 memory cards?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The other day I started up a lappy that I hadn't in a couple months or so and took a couple hrs or so just to get it past the updates it wanted, as it's set to connect to network when booted :wait:

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
The other day I started up a lappy that I hadn't in a couple months or so and took a couple hrs or so just to get it past the updates it wanted, as it's set to connect to network when booted :wait:
You can change all that junk. If it's an old laptop you should probably run disk cleanup and defragment. Those are surprisingly life savers xD

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate that. Mine is used daily, keeping up with updates is not an issue, but the husband turns his on every 3 or 4 months because he's usually on a tablet or his phone. He starts cussing and I end up taking care of the laptop issues and updates. I guess I need to start turning his on at least once a week on the remote chance that he'll actually use it. :cuss2:
I keep telling him it's not a dog, it won't come up and running every time he calls it if he hasn't fed it for a month....

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Case: cheap little Hyperion for it small footprint and interior design. Has 8 fans lol, but wanted many that barely move vs a few faster/louder.
Board: Asus Maximus Gene VIII
Yep i5 x4 @ 3.7 but haven't manually overclocked it. No hyperthreading because I don't render long videos etc and for my use just as fast w/o it.
RAM: GSkill 4x4GB @ it's stock 3200mhz
Drives: Samsung 256 M.2 you can see near PCI slots + Mushkin 120GB SSD + external spinner for backup.
Cooling parts: EWKB res w/D5 pump + fittings. Primo Chill tubing. Heatkiller block. Nemisis rad.
Corsair power supply
Mostly Noctua for fans.

The lappy needed updated anywho and knew what I was getting into.
It's this one. Got it from Dell w/pro instead of home :)
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Touchscreen-Laptop-Microsoft-Signature/dp/B010DODC66

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Case: cheap little Hyperion for it small footprint and interior design. Has 8 fans lol, but wanted many that barely move vs a few faster/louder.
Board: Asus Maximus Gene VIII
Yep i5 x4 @ 3.7 but haven't manually overclocked it. No hyperthreading because I don't render long videos etc and for my use just as fast w/o it.
RAM: GSkill 4x4GB @ it's stock 3200mhz
Drives: Samsung 256 M.2 you can see near PCI slots + Mushkin 120GB SSD + external spinner for backup.
Cooling parts: EWKB res w/D5 pump + fittings. Primo Chill tubing. Heatkiller block. Nemisis rad.
Corsair power supply
Mostly Noctua for fans.

The lappy needed updated anywho and knew what I was getting into.
It's this one. Got it from Dell w/pro instead of home :)
I am impressed with the build lol. But I hate liquid coolant. Plus with it being an i5 you could have just used a coolmaster fan. But still very nice.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it's DDR4
I am impressed with the build lol. But I hate liquid coolant. Plus with it being an i5 you could have just used a coolmaster fan. But still very nice.
Thanks. Water cooled is easy to maintain. Just change whatever your coolant is about every 6 mons/1nce a year.

X5.jpg

Like you say, as cool as the processor runs it could even have the tiny stock cooler. Cooler Master makes some good HSF's, I've used a couple in the past.
Depends on what its going to be used for too, and altho I didn't need WC, I hadn't built wc before and wanted to. If I wanted to push the OC and/or add a beefy VC for gaming etc, then I have the cooling power to do that - including wc the vc ! But yeah, the wc is overkill, at least atm :devil:

^10Pro^ v7 Prov

Also have Lian Li A05FNB. Altho it may look oem, much of what you see inside was built by me, including the window. Has HDD - there's also a 100GB MLC SSD,, and a 16GB SLC SSD that I use like a dumping ground for things like...tif, tmp dl's, RAM disk..since SLC cleans all the bits out of the cell when you hit delete, whereas MLC - which is mainstrean- relies on TRIM to help with that. 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1600. AMD unlocked X4 Black 555 @ 4.2ghz - old chip but good because it has L3 cashe and oc's 1 full ghz past stock.
LLF.jpg X3.jpg

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Yes, it's DDR4

Thanks. Water cooled is easy to maintain. Just change whatever your coolant is about every 6 mons/1nce a year.

View attachment 106877

Like you say, as cool as the processor runs it could even have the tiny stock cooler. Cooler Master makes some good HSF's, I've used a couple in the past.
Depends on what its going to be used for too, and altho I didn't need WC, I hadn't built wc before and wanted to. If I wanted to push the OC and/or add a beefy VC for gaming etc, then I have the cooling power to do that - including wc the vc ! But yeah, the wc is overkill, at least atm :devil:

^10Pro^ v7 Prov

Also have Lian Li A05FNB. Altho it may look oem, much of what you see inside was built by me, including the window. Has HDD - there's also a 100GB MLC SSD,, and a 16GB SLC SSD that I use like a dumping ground for things like...tif, tmp dl's, RAM disk..since SLC cleans all the bits out of the cell when you hit delete, whereas MLC - which is mainstrean- relies on TRIM to help with that. 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1600. AMD unlocked X4 Black 555 @ 4.2ghz - old chip but good because it has L3 cashe and oc's 1 full ghz past stock.
View attachment 106872 View attachment 106874
You would definitely need liquid coolant if you overclocked the AMD Black 555. We have a pc case in class that uses a fish tank for a tower. All the parts work and filled the tank with mineral oil for liquid coolant. Since mineral oil isn't conductive as water the tower works great, though it runs windows xp xD

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Other than MS Window, what relatively foolproof operating system that plays well with others would you recommend for a PC Idjit like me?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've only used Windows, XP/7/10. Linux Ubuntu is freeware and a person could play with that and see how they like it. Install to and boot from thumb drive or disc. I had a dual boot for a while with windows/Ubuntu(pc asks which one when you boot up). Didn't play around much with Ubuntu and never really learned it. Seemed simple to navigate. As far as fool proof ie working with other devices or programs, most is engineered to be compatible with Windows. But hey, Ubuntu free and a person might like it for at least some things.

NWOVaper

Member For 1 Year
Windows 7 is the best OS of all time. It may not be as encrypted or secure as the other, but 7 has the least amount of OS failures
Nah, Linux is the best OS. I used that in grade 10/11 computer tech class and once you get used to it, windows doesn't even touch it.

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like Win7, I resisted it with XP for years, but it is better.
I used to be pretty heavily into building PC's/ over clocking/water/phase change, but other than rebuilding my brother in laws PC(New AMD 939 MOBO-yeah, dinosaur) a few months ago, I've been pretty much out of it for awhile...use my laptop and phone 98% of the time the last 2 years...my Amd1090/Asus mobo desktop isn't even hooked up right now.
Maybe a Ryzen build in my future.

VU Sponsors