Become a Patron!

Tank issues & questions

I've been having some issues with tanks lately. I kind of touched on all this on my introduction last week, but the problems persist. Started off with simple EgoOne tanks, but moved on to a Sense Herakles Plus. The first coil was .5Ω and went wonderfully, no issues, incredible flavor. Replaced the coil with the exact same coil only to get terrible flavor, harsh/dry hits. Replaced the coil twice more, primed perfectly, same result. I even took the time to break-in the coils, slowly going up in wattage as I've been told.

So before I went on a 5-day trip I panicked, went to a local shop, and picked up an overpriced Aspire Atlantis. The guy in the shop let me try one, and it hit smooth. So I let him prime the 0.3Ω coil, and same result, dry harsh hits.. The guy at the shop said it was probably my nicotine level (6mg), which isn't the case, the juice is smooth as butter on a 1.0Ω coil. More info on the juice: 60vg/40pg.

Either way that ended up being a waste of money, and I ended up going back to using the 1.0Ω EgoOne tanks on my trip. I've changed the coil on those with zero issues, the flavor is nothing to write home about, but at least it doesn't feel like I am inhaling a cheap cigar...

My questions: Are Sub-Ohm coils the problem, since 1.0Ω coils seem to work? Using 6mg nicotine with Sub-Ohm? Could my KBox Mini 60w be the problem? Should I try using the Atlantis 1.0Ω coils? Are there any decent tanks that aren't Sub-Ohm with higher capacity?

Huge thanks in advance for any input!

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well i can say 6mg is possible in the sub ohm world but in the .5 to .9 range the lower the ohms the higher the watts the more harsh nic could be. at least IMHO. that being said i tend to have air flow wide open on my sub ohm tanks and it helps

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have to agree with @lordmage. It is possible that your nicotine level is too high for the style you're vaping. In case of a dry hit, you would definitely know. Therefore, I assume, it's most likely to be a too high of a nicotine level, 'causing a harsh hit (not a dry hit though). Which leaves you with two options, either drop down on your nicotine level, or try higher resistance coil heads (utilizing lower power/wattage).

I have to agree with @lordmage. It is possible that your nicotine level is too high for the style you're vaping. In case of a dry hit, you would definitely know. Therefore, I assume, it's most likely to be a too high of a nicotine level, 'causing a harsh hit (not a dry hit though). Which leaves you with two options, either drop down on your nicotine level, or try higher resistance coil heads (utilizing lower power/wattage).

Yeah that is probably what I am going to go with, I figured cause it was smooth that first time around with the same juice, but I think higher resistance is my best option. Don't want to keep spending money on tanks/coils like I am still smoking analogs! Thanks for the suggestions Neun and Lord

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Maybe try a small bottle of 3 nic.

i would try the Sense Herakles Plus 1.8 coil in your H Plus. If you watch a video on the Herakles Pro, you will see it. Takes H Plus coils and visa versa. There are also 1.2 but new and not yet readily available.

Many shops will sell coils individually.

As for Atlantis, I never liked the 0.3 either. But there are many other options for that tank that can transform it. The coils I like are sub ohm from Playboy, Vaporwerx (Monster), etc.

The Aspire 0.5 Clapton coils for the Triton are nice and fit the Atlantis, but don't last me that long. Nice flavor and not at all harsh.

Exactly what I was looking for, going to try and grab some of the Pro 1.8 coils if I can find them nearby, thanks mikey!

VU Sponsors