Become a Patron!

Taste bud issues

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have always had issues with taste buds and dry sinuses etc and most of the time need something really sweet like space jam or other really sweet juices just to taste it or it tastes a plain or even like cardboard. This is on exact same Nautilus tank also.

Is anyone else like this and have suggestions?
Thanks

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I need really strong flavors and the only retail juices that I have found that have a strong enough flavor are the ones sold by @VaporWatch on vapingwatch.com

He does a great job hand picking really good juices. You can check out his thread VapingWatch.com Random Giveaway Thread to get more people's opinions and ask questions about specific flavors. It's kind of a group hangout, so there is a lot of random discussion unrelated to his site and the juice lines he carries.

Other than that, I took to DIY and my ADV is a DIY using TFA Cinnamon Red Hots and Sweetener. I just got several other candy type flavors and am looking forward to trying them out soon.

The best thing about DIY is that you can make the flavors stronger. This doesn't mean that everything you mix will be great, but I have not made anything that was not at least as good as any retail juice I have tried so I have not felt like I wasted any supplies. Check out the DIY section for help and assistance if you are interested in going that route.

Bill

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah I would love to get into making my own stronger juice soon, just don't have the education yet.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There really isn't much education to it.

Start off with a simple flavor or combination of 2 flavors. Mix them with Nic and the ratio of PG and VG that you like (I generally use 60% PG to 40% VG as it seems to give me the best flavor and consistency that I like.

There is a calculator called eJuice Me Up that is free and works all the numbers out for you based on the percentages that you supply.

I buy 100mg aka 10% nic now because it gives me more flexibility on the flavoring which are PG based. I was having some issues with mixes that I tried with several flavors when using a 48mg or 4.8% nic because it was putting my added PG requirement in the negative based on the PG already in the flavorings.

I get my nic, PG,, VG and flavors from wizardlabs.us when I buy them all together, but just did a flavoring only buy and got all my flavorings direct from the manufacturer The Flavor Apprentice which brought the prices down some based on the volume that I bought for my favorite ones.

I use blunt tipped filling syringes for measuring out everything and mix in a pyrex flask and then transfer the mix into plastic or glass bottles.

It was intimidating at first and can be a pain in the ass to work out a mix, but tonight whipped up 60mls of my ADV in about 15 minutes pretty much covering the cost of all the flavorings that I just bought but barely using any of them.

The group on the DIY section of the forum are all very helpful and several post up recipes although I have not tried any beyond some advice that somebody gave me on a specific blend that I was working on but still not quite happy with so I have not shared it yet.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Drink a lot of water!

Vaping dehydrates the tissues in your mouth especially your tongue and taste buds.

Hence the term Vapers Tongue.

Drink lots and lots of water (like you are supposed to anyway), your sense of taste will come back.

The downside is lots of trips to the bathroom.

Well worth it IMHO.

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I guess I just need to make the leap, I guess when u always have bought previously maid juices it's a lil intimidating u know?

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm thinking I would be a good candidate for higher vg juice.
There really isn't much education to it.

Start off with a simple flavor or combination of 2 flavors. Mix them with Nic and the ratio of PG and VG that you like (I generally use 60% PG to 40% VG as it seems to give me the best flavor and consistency that I like.

There is a calculator called eJuice Me Up that is free and works all the numbers out for you based on the percentages that you supply.

I buy 100mg aka 10% nic now because it gives me more flexibility on the flavoring which are PG based. I was having some issues with mixes that I tried with several flavors when using a 48mg or 4.8% nic because it was putting my added PG requirement in the negative based on the PG already in the flavorings.

I get my nic, PG,, VG and flavors from wizardlabs.us when I buy them all together, but just did a flavoring only buy and got all my flavorings direct from the manufacturer The Flavor Apprentice which brought the prices down some based on the volume that I bought for my favorite ones.

I use blunt tipped filling syringes for measuring out everything and mix in a pyrex flask and then transfer the mix into plastic or glass bottles.

It was intimidating at first and can be a pain in the ass to work out a mix, but tonight whipped up 60mls of my ADV in about 15 minutes pretty much covering the cost of all the flavorings that I just bought but barely using any of them.

The group on the DIY section of the forum are all very helpful and several post up recipes although I have not tried any beyond some advice that somebody gave me on a specific blend that I was working on but still not quite happy with so I have not shared it yet.

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Another thing I'm curious about is if I buy all that what's a 'standard' juice I could make it like u know.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess I just need to make the leap, I guess when u always have bought previously maid juices it's a lil intimidating u know?
Yep, been there. I've actually only been vaping about 3.5 months now. If I was able to find flavors with strong enough flavors I might not have gone down the DIY path so early, but after trying out every single flavor at my local B&M, I realized that there were only going to be a couple that were going to satisfy me, so I read a bunch. I'm disabled so I have a ton of time on my hands :)
It is really simple though, but like I said, it can be a pain when you are first working out a new recipe, but the satisfaction and cost benefits make it all worthwhile. The savings I realized from the first batches I made from my initial flavor buys I think hit breakeven with all my startup costs.
The 60mls that I made tonight probably got me close to break even for all the flavorings that I bought this week which included 2 16oz bottles and about 8 15ml bottles. Added bonus is that the juice is exactly the right strength :)

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@InMyImage basically my juice standard would be 6/mg nicotine, and at least and 80 on vg so I just need a good stock flavor I'd like. Any suggestions there?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another thing I'm curious about is if I buy all that what's a 'standard' juice I could make it like u know.
What do you mean by "standard"? Do you mean trying to clone a juice that you have tasted, but make it stronger? Or do you mean what does it take to make something basic?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 80 vg is no problem. Same with the 6 nic. Those are just simple volume calculations that the calculator will figure out for you based on the volume that you want to make.

As for flavors, what do you think would be tasty for an ADV?

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
At wizard labs I see nicotine is 12/mg so I would need to dilute that somehow I'm guessing

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can get whatever strength nic you want as a base, you will dilute it regardless of what strenght you buy because of everything you have to mix in to make your flavor. I think that it is going to limit you to get such a low nic blend and would probably recommend getting 36 or 48 to start. I make mine at 18 and the 100 is working best for me.

Now one thing that you might also want to do because of the VG level that you are targeting is to get your nic in a VG base. You have to go into the actual page for the strength you want in order to buy VG blend though.

Here is the page for 36mg 120ml nic where you can select VG as the base.

Based on my experience, for the cost difference, I'd recommend picking up 250ml of VG, especially since you want high VG juices.

Also get a bottle of PG, but 120ml is more than sufficient to start because your flavorings will generally have a PG base so you will get some of your PG just from the flavorings.

Pick out some flavors that you like, but post them up in the DIY General Discussions if you have any questions about ay of them.

Here are a couple of links to some spreadsheets that give initial target percentages for The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) flavors:
TFA Percentages Spreadsheet
Flavor Percentage Recommendations

Here is a link to the mixing supplies that I use:
Glass Erlenmeyer Flask Set - 3 Sizes - 50, 150 and 250ml
1oz Amber Glass Bottles for Essential Oils with Glass Eye Dropper
Blunt Needle Dispensing Syringes - I bought them from this vendor in 1, 3, 5, and 10ml sizes
14 Gauge Needles - Pick up a pack of these for the VG, using the 15 ga needles works but takes a bit of effort

That's pretty much all you need to get started.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
DIY is a LOT of fun. I used to like really strong flavor in my pre-made stuff, but learned quickly in DIY you really can cut it back and still enjoy full flavor. Having a variety of flavors to choose from can also keep vaper's tongue at bay. You should stop by that section of the forum and read as much as you can take in. Read the discussions, the tricks and tips section, the recipes and the reviews sections, too. There are so many helpful people always willing to share experience. InMyImage is giving you some great info, too. Nice job, btw...

I 2nd recommend staying hydrated. I also use saline nasal spray and that helps a lot. Vaper's Tongue can happen to all of us from time to time, but it will pass, too.

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm looking at a few recipes that call for say KY Kentucky Bourbon @ 3% and see it sells per unit at .27 size. How much of that would I need to make say 30mil or more?

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
... Also wizard labs are out of a few flavors currently. Any other place as good?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
There are many good flavor vendors, so it'd be good to try out a few. I really like FlavourArt. I use a lot of theirs, but I also use TFA, Capellas and a few Inawera.

Bull City Vapor is an excellent vendor, too. ecigexpress also carries a lot of brands, including TFA. Theirs is under the name "Signature" instead of TFA.

tampametal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Great so I found all my flavors at flavor apprentice, now can I get 4mil to start with to make a few bottles?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I buy a lot in the 4ml size, especially when trying it out the first time. It's a good small start, the flavor lasts longer than you'd think, too, so yes, you can make several. When I run out and it turns out to be a flavor I use a lot, I usually order in 15 or 30ml from there. You can also get the sample sizes of some at Bull City. GREAT guy, great vendor, and he posts on VU frequently. He's really in touch with vapers.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
There are many options, but you'll really need to download an ejuice calculator if you haven't already. There's a good thread here about that (starting around post #9). I personally use the ejuicemeup calculator. It's user friendly and you can save your recipes on it, too. Super handy.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you're looking at 15ml of 6mg total nic, the flavorings under all that are the % of flavoring you want, then the end result will tell you how much of everything you need to add to your mix. So, yes, without knowing the strength of the nic base and whether it's pg or vg.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When starting out, I'd buy from a source that sells nic, pg and vg in addition to the flavors just to save on shipping costs.

I have not tried Bull City yet myself but I know a lot of the DIY'ers here use them in addition to Wizard Labs, so if they have the flavors you want in stock, they feel good about your purchase through them. I know a lot of people recommend the brand of nic they sell although it is double the price of the nic sold by Wizard Labs and I personally have not had any flavor issues with Wizard Labs' nic and I know a lot of other people recommend them without hesitation.

They also do not appear to have any PG in stock right now, and only have 15ml bottles of nic which won't get you very far... so if you go with them definitely get the 60mg nic to get as much out of the small bottle as you can.

VU Sponsors