Become a Patron!

Taste issue between Mirco One and TFV8 coils/mods

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have two mods, one is a Smok Micro R40 with a Micro 1.2ohm MTL Core Coil at 25W, and then I have a Smok G-Priv with the Big Baby Beast and a Cloud Beast, both with coils around .15ohm (the V8-X4/V8-T6/V8-T8 etc) and I just can not get the same taste out of my vanilla flavors, specifically desert flavors like Whip'd Cereal, or Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bar by Propaganda, and Dinner Lady Strawberry Custard, from the G-Priv with either tank, or any coil they came with.

There's a certain greatness to these flavors that only my cheaper, older, less powerful, etc...Is the only one that can heat these correctly or something.

Am I missing something? The desert flavors still taste alright (but not nearly as good) and the more citrus flavors (Alien Piss) are exactly the same on both mods, so the problem is only with the deserts. I've tried both tanks, adjusted my wattage to the very minimum of the coils provided range to the very high end, while also using the wattage settings for the hit, like Soft, Normal, Hard, Max, but to no avail.

I have ordered higher resistant coils for my BBB tank, they are .6ohm I think, so I'm hoping I will find my flavor soon, but would greatly appreciate any insight on this matter...It pretty much makes my G-Priv and two tanks completely obsolete in the big picture...And that was almost 200 dollars total...Thanks for any help, and if you need further information just ask. Below are links to the mods I am using, and the current coils in each.

Smok R40 Micro-One - https://www.elementvape.com/smok-r40-40w-tc-starter-kit
Current Coil (and the only one that has the same flavor) - https://www.hoosierecig.com/Replacement-Coils-for-Smok-MICRO-TFV4-_p_1552.html (The 1.2ohm single clapton coil)

Smok G-Priv - https://www.elementvape.com/smok-g-priv-220w-touch-screen-starter-kit
Current Coil (Big Baby Beast) - The one that came as a replacement, not the pre-installed one. The Middle one in this picture - https://www.hoosierecig.com/assets/images/tfv8 coils 3.jpg
Current Coil (Cloud Beast) - The one on the very left in that picture above.

Last edited:

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two mods, one is a Smok Micro R40 with a Micro 1.2ohm MTL Core Coil at 25W, and then I have a Smok G-Priv with the Big Baby Beast and a Cloud Beast, both with coils around .15ohm (the V8-X4/V8-T6/V8-T8 etc) and I just can not get the same taste out of my vanilla flavors, specifically desert flavors like Whip'd Cereal, or Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bar by Propaganda, and Dinner Lady Strawberry Custard, from the G-Priv with either tank, or any coil they came with.

There's a certain greatness to these flavors that only my cheaper, older, less powerful, etc...Is the only one that can heat these correctly or something.

Am I missing something? The desert flavors still taste alright (but not nearly as good) and the more citrus flavors (Alien Piss) are exactly the same on both mods, so the problem is only with the deserts. I've tried both tanks, adjusted my wattage to the very minimum of the coils provided range to the very high end, while also using the wattage settings for the hit, like Soft, Normal, Hard, Max, but to no avail.

I have ordered higher resistant coils for my BBB tank, they are .6ohm I think, so I'm hoping I will find my flavor soon, but would greatly appreciate any insight on this matter...It pretty much makes my G-Priv and two tanks completely obsolete in the big picture...And that was almost 200 dollars total...Thanks for any help, and if you need further information just ask. Below are links to the mods I am using, and the current coils in each.

Smok R40 Micro-One - https://www.elementvape.com/smok-r40-40w-tc-starter-kit
Current Coil (and the only one that has the same flavor) - https://www.hoosierecig.com/Replacement-Coils-for-Smok-MICRO-TFV4-_p_1552.html (The 1.2ohm single clapton coil)

Smok G-Priv - https://www.elementvape.com/smok-g-priv-220w-touch-screen-starter-kit
Current Coil (Big Baby Beast) - The one that came as a replacement, not the pre-installed one. The Middle one in this picture - https://www.hoosierecig.com/assets/images/tfv8 coils 3.jpg
Current Coil (Cloud Beast) - The one on the very left in that picture above.
You could possibly try bringing the wattage down below the recommended wattage of the baby beast coils, some juices don't do well with high wattage. Alternately try using a baby beast RBA or tear apart a baby beast coil and rebuild your own "MTL" coil.

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

I actually did go down to the bottom of the coil rating, but I've never went below it because, well, I'm new I guess...If I can still call that title, heh. But anyway, I dropped it down to 30w, which is 5w higher than I vape on my smaller mod, and the G-priv still doesn't have the flavor, and also gives very little of a hit to boot...I timed out at 12 seconds lol...

As for going with the RBA, I've been figuring I'd have to do that to get what I want, but being new to all of this, and only knowing the software side of everything, I've been holding off...Things that are built, seem difficult to me...I haven't really looked up how to do it, or ripped open a coil to see how it works (I'm the type of person who would take apart something and have no idea how to get any piece to go back together) but if that's what it'll take, I may have to. I've spent far too much on this already.

However, a friend of mine who oddly enough I got into vaping VERY recently, had to spend a day researching batteries. She said that getting a different battery might help power that lower end (not her exact words, but, it makes sense). I have two 3.7v 35a 3000mah batteries in my g-priv, but she's saying (and I'm pretty sure she's right) that I could get a 25a battery, which might help get that taste I want. Can anyone further explain how batteries can have so much to do with taste and such? I thought coils were what made the flavor difference, or at least that's what I was told at a local shop...Who I think doesn't know shit now that I'm starting to learn...

Any advice on the battery issue would be awesome, but I understand if this is too stupid of a question, or too specific of a question. Thanks for your help georgemeadal, I really appreciate it!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No such thing as a 35A 3000mAh battery. Sounds like you have rewraps with bogus ratings.

Try a couple of Sony VTC5A's. 25A and 2500mAh. Or at least buy only Sony, Samsung, or LG batts from a reputable vendor who guarantees authenticity.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And I highly recommend the RBA. If you don't want to build coils, you can buy quality prewrapped coils that will last for months. You'll just have to change the wicking every couple of days. Much better flavor, and much less expensive.

VapeNMirrors

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what happens when you put your old Micro 1.2ohm MTL Core Coil and atty on the G-Priv? I'm guessing it'll be about the same. So it's the atty/coil/wick/chamber at play. Those Smok coils don't do any favor to my vanilla. Tastes like I'm pulling through an old electric space heater. Try something like a Nautilus or Triton tank/coil and try SS wire for the rba. Tastes better imho. So long as the batteries can safely provide the current you need and are fully charged, they won't taste any different but some may last longer/shorter and the mod may start reducing power as they die.

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No such thing as a 35A 3000mAh battery. Sounds like you have rewraps with bogus ratings.

Try a couple of Sony VTC5A's. 25A and 2500mAh. Or at least buy only Sony, Samsung, or LG batts from a reputable vendor who guarantees authenticity.
https://liionwholesale.com/products...dqfMTfx8E1fWoewaAkMP8P8HAQ&variant=6853793412

Those are my exact batteries, from what I've read Efest is reputable, but I could be wrong.

And yeah when I put my old tank on my g-priv and drop the wattage to match what I was using, it tastes the same. So that rules out battery, in my opinion. It just seems I need a higher resistance coil, because I've had the same issue with lower resistance coils (.6ohm) on my old mod, but the 1.2 and 1.8 are fantastic. But I'll look for some different coils, and look into prewrapped coils.

Thanks for the replies!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Efests are rewrapped rejects from actual battery manufacturers. No 18650 battery has a continuous discharge rating above 30A. Battchartimage.jpeg

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I read that they are actually 25 or 20a, but is it really that big of deal?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It can be a big deal, yes. Efest buys cells that didn't pass quality control from actual manufacturers. So you may buy a pair, and get a B bin batt from one company and a C bin batt from another company. There is no way to know exactly what you're getting. Sony, Samsung, LG, and Panasonic make the cells to certain tolerances for various applications. Anything out of spec gets rejected, sold, rewrapped, and resold for more than the original. It's impossible to marry a pair, or set, for a mod if they have different specs.

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't think any company could get away with some bullshit like that...Or at least not be able to hide it so well from people like me who have google searched their fingers off...I guess I'll throw in another $30 and get two brand name batteries...Hopefully that will fix my problem...

The money pit just keeps getting bigger...I'd be willing to trade my G-priv for a lesser mod at this point, or just let someone buy it so I can make back 5% of the money I put into this huge disaster.

Thanks for the replies and the education, wish I knew all this stuff before.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
China doesn't have much in the way of consumer protection lol. On the bright side, name brand batts are usually cheaper than rewraps.

Try these:
Illumn.com
Liionwholesale.com
imrbatteries.com

VU Sponsors