Become a Patron!

Telling my parents I vape.

Hi all,

I want to start off saying that my parents are smokers. They smoke cigarettes and a lot of them. I started vaping as a stress reliever and it really helps. I don't have use nicotine or something. Just a bubblegum flavor juice. I've been vaping for about 2 weeks now and really enjoy it.

The issues is how do I tell them I vape? I'm 18 (legal age in my country) and still live with them. Every time I try to explain what a vape is to my mom she thinks it's the exact same as a cigarette and just ignores everything I try to explain about vapor. I only use the vape when I am really stressed so I only use it about 3 times a day and it lasts me really long. Currently I only need to refill my 10ml tank once a day or 2.

So how do I start off? What can I show / tell them to think that it's not a cigarette and accept the vape?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
1. It's really easy. "I vape." Piece of cake.
2. People who have their minds made up in the absence of any actual information can't be convinced nor persuaded of anything.
3. People who have their minds made up based on the idiocy of the media are gullible, credulous fools who also can't be persuaded of anything actually true, they're too Pavlov-conditioned to accept everything they're told by "people on TV."
4. Smokers have a vested interest in believing that 'vaping is BAAAAAD" because then they have no reason to change their own treasured habits.
5. If you're looking for freedom, that's also very simple: Get a job. Move out.

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Imo as a 40 year smoker in purpose vaping is the same as smoking........ might be less harmful.

As to your parents ... grow up and see above.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all,

I want to start off saying that my parents are smokers. They smoke cigarettes and a lot of them. I started vaping as a stress reliever and it really helps. I don't have use nicotine or something. Just a bubblegum flavor juice. I've been vaping for about 2 weeks now and really enjoy it.

The issues is how do I tell them I vape? I'm 18 (legal age in my country) and still live with them. Every time I try to explain what a vape is to my mom she thinks it's the exact same as a cigarette and just ignores everything I try to explain about vapor. I only use the vape when I am really stressed so I only use it about 3 times a day and it lasts me really long. Currently I only need to refill my 10ml tank once a day or 2.

So how do I start off? What can I show / tell them to think that it's not a cigarette and accept the vape?
I understand your situation but find a healther and more enjoyable way of dealing with stress go on line look for them exercise,meditation yoga tai chi music whatever vaping is not the answer to dealing with stress.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well.. just saying I vape, is how to tell your parents. Now if you are trying to get your parents off cigarettes, then use your moms arguement against her. Exactly the same as cigarettes? So mom, switch to vaping, since it is exactly the same but costs 1/5 as much. (based on price per pack vs cost of juice for 1 week in a mouth to lung mod) So say... $130 per week vs $20-$30 per week. Over $5000 saving per year.. plus dad..$10,000 for 1 year = trip to Disneyland or Virgin Islands, or family land of origin, or eating out one nite a week *no cooking* for a "date nite". LOL Pretty sure you can open a can of zoodles for yourself. :)

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
At first my mom and Dad weren’t thrilled I had picked up another habit to quit smoking but once they saw vaping did actually get me off the cigarettes they were fine. Even though they don’t mind it now I try not to be overwhelming with it around them. I will admit my dad sees something in the news and gets worried (vaping is worse than smoking, vaping releases heavy metals, etc.) but once I explain how it really works it’s no big deal. Good luck!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
My son was worried about telling me he vapes, I kept saying to my wife I swear I can hear him vaping in his room at times (we don’t vape indoors you see)...anyway was one of those don’t tell dad situations for a while

He never smoked before so was anxious about my reaction

when he finally told me I did erupt but not because he was vaping it was because I found out he bought a shit mod the B&M were trying to shift :giggle: I said mate what have you done I’ve got a cupboard full gear you doughnut you only had to ask!

Way I see it he’s old enough now to make his own choices as to whether he wants to vape it’s up to him, was more hurt he didnt come to ask advise in the first place probably didn’t want the conversation about trying other things first or do it outside. Still we let him do it with his door shut in the end and I set him up with mods, attys, batteries a decent charger and showed him how to DIY to boot ...now we sit out in the garden together with a beer after work, have a vape and catch up (weather permitting)

Try them they’ll come around eventually even if they don’t approve at first, helps to go in equipped that you researched as they will come from a position of negativity, what would you rather I smoked or vaped kinda of angle and show them the video of cigarettes vs vaping ...who knows in time you might even be able to sell them the benefit of giving up the Cigs and get them to join this community as well :)

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
FWIW, my wife hated when I smoked, but doesn't really care much about my vaping habit. It helped that I had the info in hand to show that yes, it's not just a little better (no smoke smell, no stains on my teeth, cheaper), but a lot better:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...mmissioned_by_Public_Health_England_FINAL.pdf

In a nutshell, best estimates show e-cigarettes are 95% less harmful to your health than normal cigarettes, and when supported by a smoking cessation service, help most smokers to quit tobacco altogether.

mikeybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Did you smoke cigarette before you started vaping? That could probably be the reason why they don't want you to start. In their mind you'll start off with vaping > get into nicotine > ditch it for cigarette. In this case, it DOES make sense. My boyfriend didn't want me vaping before for who the hell knows what, then he went to "just don't vape juices with nicotines", and as you know it, we broke up and i did. I stopped shortly after though, because I had a small accident, I guess you could say I vaped too much nic that I was used to in a short amount of time and that made me feel like straight up shit.

So in-short, you could be drawn into nicotine because "vaping is kinda useless without nicotine so maybe i should try it with nic¿", your curiosity might get to you and your parents are probably afraid of that, since they know what nicotine addiction feels like. But then again, me and my boyfriend are back now, and now he wants to get a vape of his own! So even if your parents don't want you to vape, it's always your choice whether you listen to them or not. They'll wrap their head around it once they know that it's impossible to stop you. Maybe they'll like it too in the end. :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
At first my mom and Dad weren’t thrilled I had picked up another habit to quit smoking but once they saw vaping did actually get me off the cigarettes they were fine. Even though they don’t mind it now I try not to be overwhelming with it around them. I will admit my dad sees something in the news and gets worried (vaping is worse than smoking, vaping releases heavy metals, etc.) but once I explain how it really works it’s no big deal. Good luck!

Consider this.. you do not actually handle the coils very much, aside from making and installing. For good form, wash your hands afterwards. (same as when handling any metal with potentially toxic effects) now aside from this very limited contact..
Iron melts at 1538 °C and turns into a gas at 2862 °C. Iron being the main element in stainless steel. You will never vape hot enough to evaporate your coil.
Quite honestly, there are more heavy metals in normal air from natural sources such as fires, volcanoes and also combustion engines and cigarette smoking.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I’ve seen coils fuse together @Pegleg Meg posted one such picture recently true it was under dry burning conditions and forced but still they can get hot enough to do it

I’ve also experienced a pre made coil leg fuse to the casing where there was a short - you know when this happens it tastes bloody awful and you’ll stop immediately...but still it can happen

It’s for this reason new builders should research and recognise how to build safely ..even using pre made coils you should educate yourself on what looks janky in a set before screwing it in

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi all,

You are an adult. You do not have to explain anything to your parents. That will be hard to get used to for you and your parents, but the sooner you start the sooner you will get used to it. :)

You don't need their approval, and as you get older you will find more and more things you like that your parents simply either cannot understand, or will never agree with.

It is Not Necessary to try to convince your parents of anything. I would leave that whole can of worms alone. Just enjoy vaping and learn to let nonsense in one ear and out of the other - also a part of being an adult haha

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Consider this.. you do not actually handle the coils very much, aside from making and installing. For good form, wash your hands afterwards. (same as when handling any metal with potentially toxic effects) now aside from this very limited contact..
Iron melts at 1538 °C and turns into a gas at 2862 °C. Iron being the main element in stainless steel. You will never vape hot enough to evaporate your coil.
Quite honestly, there are more heavy metals in normal air from natural sources such as fires, volcanoes and also combustion engines and cigarette smoking.
It's a misinformation problem, if you're located in the US midwest you know what kind of vape stories the media runs and my parents just do their parenting thing.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It's a misinformation problem, if you're located in the US midwest you know what kind of vape stories the media runs and my parents just do their parenting thing.
Im a vape nerd. I come across ALL those vape stories while researching vaping stuff. Nor am I shy about setting them right in the public comments sections. LOL... 14yr old says.. I was just holding it and it went off... I say BS!!!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you live in their house they make the rules so nothing to debate here. Want freedom move the fuck out and get your own place but then you will have to abide by the landlords or homeowners rules unless of course you OWN THE PROPERTY.

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
Mate, it's vaping. Not some dirty little secret to be ashamed of, hidden from prying eyes and stuffed under a bed like a well thumbed copy of razzle.

Personally, SteveS has a point. Their house, their rules. So if they say no way, you either pack it in, move out or dont get caught ;) That choice is up to you. (And for me I'd say move out anyways, you will love your own freedom and space, not mention the ability to bring 'friends' home without Mother trying to find out if she needs to buy a hat for the wedding)

I say be up front about it without making a huge deal out of it. It's not like your marrying a pensioner or something equally ethically questionable. If it comes to a debate (or argument) You can counter argue every horror story they've heard with well informed discourse and facts. But some usually rational intelligent people are wilfully ignorant on certain subjects.i don't
Know your parents but you do. Judge for yourself.

You're an adult. A young un but an adult, and an individual. Own it. In theory they only have to accept YOU. not your vape if they're dead set against it.

Just my tuppence on it.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Im a vape nerd. I come across ALL those vape stories while researching vaping stuff. Nor am I shy about setting them right in the public comments sections. LOL... 14yr old says.. I was just holding it and it went off... I say BS!!!

I totally agree, 14yr olds and innocence rarely go together...speaking from personal experience lol. Can you recommend a good page or tutorial that explains how to work with a mech mod? I’m curious but don’t quite understand how to come up with a safe build when factoring in battery power, etc.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I totally agree, 14yr olds and innocence rarely go together...speaking from personal experience lol. Can you recommend a good page or tutorial that explains how to work with a mech mod? I’m curious but don’t quite understand how to come up with a safe build when factoring in battery power, etc.

I highly recommend starting out with this thread first ...watch every single vid in particular episode 1 & 2

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/moochs-video-library-and-battery-table-links.384867/

If you understand the things Mooch goes through you’ll have a head start in why using a mech needs to be treated with respect

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks! Not sure if I would ever use a mech mod but it’d be nice to understand them.

A well thought out build and mech setup can yield a very dialed in vape. If you take the time to learn about how all of the elements play together you can get something that is as close to perfect for you as there can be had.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My son was worried about telling me he vapes, I kept saying to my wife I swear I can hear him vaping in his room at times (we don’t vape indoors you see)...anyway was one of those don’t tell dad situations for a while

He never smoked before so was anxious about my reaction

when he finally told me I did erupt but not because he was vaping it was because I found out he bought a shit mod the B&M were trying to shift :giggle: I said mate what have you done I’ve got a cupboard full gear you doughnut you only had to ask!

Way I see it he’s old enough now to make his own choices as to whether he wants to vape it’s up to him, was more hurt he didnt come to ask advise in the first place probably didn’t want the conversation about trying other things first or do it outside. Still we let him do it with his door shut in the end and I set him up with mods, attys, batteries a decent charger and showed him how to DIY to boot ...now we sit out in the garden together with a beer after work, have a vape and catch up (weather permitting)

Try them they’ll come around eventually even if they don’t approve at first, helps to go in equipped that you researched as they will come from a position of negativity, what would you rather I smoked or vaped kinda of angle and show them the video of cigarettes vs vaping ...who knows in time you might even be able to sell them the benefit of giving up the Cigs and get them to join this community as well :)
But... you are a reviewer so the fact your son didn't want to listen to your advice just proves that he is a very smart person. :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
But... you are a reviewer so the fact your son didn't want to listen to your advice just proves that he is a very smart person. :D

Ahhh caram come now you know better than that, I don’t play the ping pong game ... you’ll have to go and piss up someone else’s tree I’m afraid

VU Sponsors