Telling parents about vaping

Discussion in 'Ask An Expert' started by HendrixVapes, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM.

1. HendrixVapes

HendrixVapes New Member

Blog Posts:
    Now I'm very new to the forum, and before I dive into the topic I'd like help with, I would first like to inform you wonderful members about myself, I am fairly young, in my teens, and have been vaping for about 2 years now, only serious and consistent with it this year. I currently run two main setups, my Revenger kit or my V3 Flip with Plume veil primarily operating with a zipper build around .3 ohms. I currently vape mostly 0mg nicotine, but since my parents don't know I vape and probably wouldn't be too happy if they found out, sometimes my only option is 3mg since I cant purchase online and my local shops are sometimes out of 0mg. I vape for the fun of it, its a hobby. I do this at my own risk and I'd rather not be forced to use nicotine if I don't have to. But I use vaping as a vice to deter me from trying analogs, ***********, and the likes of that, I have no desire to experiment with anything other than sex and e-juice, LOL. So heres the big question, how do I break it to my parents being in my teens and telling them that I vape, I've researched a bit and am planning to use the facts how i only use diectyl free juices to avoid popcorn lung, and how this acts as a vice for me, and the final fact that i only vape 0mg. All help is appreciated! Vape on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RMarcusY

RMarcusY ☮ Ambassador ☮ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Are you saying that you live with your mommy and daddy?

Get your own place and do what you want.......

skt239 likes this.
  3. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    why do you have to tell them anything at all? I did / do all sorts of stuff my parents wouldn't agree with so I never told them. You are s grown ass man, your parents don't need to know about every little thing you do. If they have a problem with, don't do it around them. Problem solved. Or move out, problem demolished.

AndriaD likes this.
  4. HendrixVapes

HendrixVapes New Member

Blog Posts:
    In short... yes I do live with my parents, I plan on staying at my home while I attend Western New England University going for a major in engineering and a minor in business, I like my parents place and I do my share to earn my space. I prefer to stay at home because WNEU is 10 mins away from our home and dorming would be an unnecessary expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnytraveler likes this.
  5. RMarcusY

RMarcusY ☮ Ambassador ☮ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
  6. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Eclipse is coming! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    By the time I turned 18, I had been smoking for a few years, already. My parents approached me about it, again, and said, "you're legally an adult now, you may as well smoke in front of us". Shocked the shit out of me, but they said so, so I did. At 15 when they discovered it, I think I got grounded, LOL

Now, I realize you're not smoking, and say that you haven't, but if you're of age, unless they throw that "our house, our rules" card at you, then either just be straight with them, or don't vape in front of them. You know them better than we do.

AndriaD likes this.
  7. BearHunter104

BearHunter104 New Member

Blog Posts:
    What's the worst thing that could happen if you told them ?

8. RMarcusY

Blog Posts:
  9. BigNasty

BigNasty Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    This is what happens when parents smother and shelter their special snowflakes folks.
    I present to you Generation participation trophy.

bobnat, aeon and AndriaD like this.
  10. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Huh?

skt239 likes this.
  11. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Eclipse is coming! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Most likely - other stuff, LOL.

The Cromwell likes this.
  12. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I just have to do something!!!!

skt239 and Huckleberried like this.
  13. Whiskey

Whiskey Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

The Cromwell likes this.
  14. splucked

splucked Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Greetings fellow Masshole. Don't use the word 'vice' and definitely leave out the sex stuff. :giggle:

But seriously, you sound like a thoughtful, intelligent person. Pretty sure that your parents recognize these things in you. How much do your parents know about vaping? Bringing up diacetyl and popcorn lung could freak them out. If you absolutely have to tell them, then give them the most important facts ... vaping is safe (quote medical studies), enjoyable and it prevents you from smoking. Thinking with my reptilian 'parent' brain, smoking is the biggie. Annual vaping deaths? 0. Annual tobacco deaths? 400,000+.

However you approach it, I wish you luck. Good luck in school, too!

15. DimSumDom

DimSumDom New Member

Blog Posts:
    I personally didn't have an issue telling my parents about vaping. They noticed I stopped smelling like Marlborro Reds when I came home at night and were actually quite pleased that there was an alternative. Didn't tell me I couldn't smoke or vape because I had a job and I was legally an adult and I don't do either in front of my siblings.

My friend on the other hand picked up vaping for some reason and had to prepare all the information she could to tell her mom why vaping isn't as terrible as she thought it was and how it was better that she picked up vaping instead of her dads smoking habit. Sooo my only advice is to do your research and present all the reasonable facts to your parents if they want to fight you on it. Don't forget to tell them youre a grown ass man. And nothing tells mommy and daddy I've grown up like a good argument where youre winning. Just keep a respectful tone and level head. No one listens to someone who sounds like a know-it-all and/or is screaming, especially parents when it comes to their children.

HendrixVapes likes this.
  16. Whiskey

Whiskey Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Now I'm very new to the forum, and before I dive into the topic I'd like help with, I would first like to inform you wonderful members about myself, I am fairly young, in my teens,

The Cromwell likes this.
  17. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    What's wrong with living with your parents at 19 years old?
    I'd be willing to bet the over 50% of 19 year olds lived with their parents when they were 19 years old since 1980.

JuicyLucy likes this.
  18. DimSumDom

DimSumDom New Member

Blog Posts:
    I saw that and was going to flame him, but then I read the other posts that said he was going to be in college soon. Id like to think he is indeed of legal age. Id also like to hope that a kid wouldn't come onto a forum full of adults hoping to find a way to grab himself a Get Outta Jail Free card, and then try to weasel words in after he realized he got caught in the act.

5150sick and Whiskey like this.
  19. skt239

Blog Posts:
    He's 19.

Nothing wrong with living at home at 19 and beyond. Just keep your personal business personal...

I don't know, I come from hard people. We don't tell each other anything, instead we find out about shit.

aeon and AndriaD like this.
  20. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I lived with my folks till I was 23. Our son is 29 and lives at home with us, because he is working part-time and going to school. And also, he's a wonderful human being who helps us out and carries as much of his own weight as he possibly can, given that he only works part-time. We've never had any "generational" issues with him; even when he was a teen, he wasn't a PITA... too much. :giggle:

When he moved back in, I told him I didn't want to smell cigarette smoke, and he agreed to switch to vaping. It's going swimmingly! He's just passed a month smoke-free! He's using some of my hardware, and I make ejuice for him, to suit his desires and needs. Any parents that have a problem with vaping obviously are swallowing the liberal media's bullshit hook, line, and sinker, and need to be educated. But, with that said... nothing says "grown ass man" like moving out and living on your own. If that is not possible, as in the case of our son, then it may be that they just don't need to know every little detail. If they are intelligent, they will appreciate that their child vapes rather than smokes. Unfortunately, intelligence is a quality too often in short supply.

Andria

skt239 likes this.
  21. Johnnytraveler

Johnnytraveler Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    As a teenager we like to think our parents are:
    1. Uncool
    2. Unhip
    3. Stupid

Well none of those actually apply.

I don't think you are going to hide it from them. And if you do hide it and they find out, that just makes things worse.
    Do your homework on Vaping, then explain it to them. Agree on rules with them, ie. no Vaping in the house.

You might be surprised at how much your parents know. Maybe 1 has a coworker that Vapes. And understands from the coworker the benefits of Vaping over smoking.

I will say, if you've never been addicted to smoking and your only experience with nicotine is Vaping, please try to quit. While vaping is better than smoking, there's still risks to Vaping.

skt239 likes this.
  22. skt239

Blog Posts:
    That's a sensible answer.
    Don't listen to me, listen to this guy.

Johnnytraveler likes this.
  23. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    The first person I ever helped vape instead of using tobacco was a chewer - he's 39 years old and was scared shitless his parents would find out he was vaping :giggle:

If I were you, if they say anything about smoking or what have you, mention you started vaping instead because it is so much less dangerous, and like has been mentioned several times in this thread, do it armed with real facts to back you up:cloud:

AndriaD likes this.