Become a Patron!

Temp Control and Not Liking it!

So I switched my Kanger top box mini from the caption coil to the Ni coil and I'm not liking it one bit...am I doing something wrong?

With the Clapton coil I ran on wattage control--really liking the 30W level.

With the Ni on temp control, I have it set to the lowest temp 200F and it seems like way to much. It says it's set at 75W and it just makes my vape less enjoyable. It gets extremely hot extremely fast, and either burns my mouth if I inhale slowly or makes me cough like a mad man if I inhale too fast.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm thinking I'm going back to wattage mode with a SS/Clapton coil because it was so much more enjoyable.

doc_iguana

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
howdy - and welcome!

personally, i prefer wattage/ power mode - have several mods that will do temp control and seem to consistently prefer power mode, with SS coils

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Firstly welcome to the crew and secondly I agree on not liking Temperature Control.Tried it several time even with SS coils and still didn't really like it.But boy my Black Top Tank sure does look pretty on top of my RX 200.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got into temp control and I like it a lot. Although the same thing happened to me, extremely hot and burning wick flavor at 200 degrees. I forgot to lock the resistance and with some research I found out the TCR setting for SS316. Now it vapes the way it should.

I think I found out why I'm not enjoying the vape in TC. The Kanger Subox mini doesn't allow you to control the wattage while in TC mode. No matter what I set the temp to, the wattage is set to 75W...causing it to heat extremely fast! Think I'm going to stick to wattage control on this guy and maybe try TC on another mod in the future.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the Underground - it seems you've discovered the fatal flaw in attempting TC with a Kanger mod - you're locked in to max wattage all the time, which sucks. For me, even though I vape at higher temps, it's annoying taking a pull and feeling like my vape is bouncing off a rev limiter, getting to max temp, shutting off, then firing, then shutting off...not smooth at all.

My IPV mods do TC much better, though I still don't like it as much as straight power mode.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried TC on a sig 150 TC mod with subtank w NI pre-made coils. No fun for me either. A fam member liked it though.

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That sucks. I'm gonna pick up a Top box mini and wanted to try the temp control on the Nickel coil. But with flames shooting out! no thanks!!! lol

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll just use the istick with the Ni coil. Still getting the Top box mini. I want a sub ohm tank with a RBA, and the tank alone is $26-$30+ so mightiest well get the whole set up as a bundle.

Last edited:

cloudking666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i have tried temp control, and personally wasnt for me, my buddy has tried several set ups, and he couldnt find a good flavor on it or cloud production. so we ended up going back to variable wattage, it simpler haha

VU Sponsors