Temp Control Q&A

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Further to my post above the below link is a good read, granted it doesn't go into the nth degree of detail regarding metal heating ...this has made me think about my insatiable desire to dry burn my coils before wicking up

https://nicotinepolicy.net/miroslaw-dworniczak/5713-e-cigarette-coils-from-a-chemist-s-point-of-view

And another here

http://www.vapingpost.com/2016/03/08/a-chemists-advice-dont-dry-burn-your-coil/

Another good read on the benefits of temp control is the below (granted it may be a bit dated now especially the advancement of newer metal types used for temp control)

https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2015/10/temperature-controlled-vaping.html

Eddie88

Member For 3 Years
New to temp control. Could use some advice. Got a crown tank and Joyetech Cuboid 150w and want to try a .15 NI200 coil I have. Anyone know what temp/watt setting I should set it at or TCR I should set T.I.A

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
New to temp control. Could use some advice. Got a crown tank and Joyetech Cuboid 150w and want to try a .15 NI200 coil I have. Anyone know what temp/watt setting I should set it at or TCR I should set T.I.A

Here's a TCR chart:
f8860bf385c44d98a31213298dc40993.jpg

As for watts and temp, I've seen several people recommend starting @450°F, and the wattage just determines how quickly you reach the set temperature, so set it where you normally vape. If it's too hot, lower the temp. Just make small adjustments so you don't overshoot your mark.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd start with the temp set to about 400f or 200c and the watts Low like 20-25... Then work the watts till I get the ramp up I want..... The the temp till I get the flavor. I use Steam Engine for a starting TCR setting. Then I spend about a week playing with settings. In the meantime, just about everynight I download to the PC

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can someone recommend a Good TC build for Stainless wire using 20 watt or less? Mod settings you would use also. Running a Pico with Arctic Fox firmware, so can get pretty detailed with settings. Using an Avocado

New to TC... Trying to find a single coil build that work as good or better than VW. As of yet, TC is eluding me. At wattages that don't eat batteries.

Eddie88

Member For 3 Years
Here's a TCR chart:
View attachment 74241

As for watts and temp, I've seen several people recommend starting @450°F, and the wattage just determines how quickly you reach the set temperature, so set it where you normally vape. If it's too hot, lower the temp. Just make small adjustments so you don't overshoot your mark.
Thanks I appreciate the chart and advice. Been vaping about two years but never really messed with temp control but I'm all about flavor and from what I've read/heard that's where the flavor is at

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks I appreciate the chart and advice. Been vaping about two years but never really messed with temp control but I'm all about flavor and from what I've read/heard that's where the flavor is at

No problem. I'm just getting into TC, also. Good luck!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

For NI 200

TCR will be 0.00600 or 0.00620 try the former then the latter

NI temp setting I would start at 400f and work up get to a temp where you are happy with flavour and clouds without it tasting burnt or too hot for you then note this setting for future reference

In terms of wattage as other have said start at 20w and work up NI heats quickly so it will ramp up faster than other metals ...remember wattage is only serving to get you to your temp here if your chain vaping and taking long drags don't set this too high 50w should be upper limit unless it's a really big build

Also adjust the air vent .....when you're in power mode you might have air vent open far more than you want it to be in temp control at least this is what I've found

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Can someone recommend a Good TC build for Stainless wire using 20 watt or less? Mod settings you would use also. Running a Pico with Arctic Fox firmware, so can get pretty detailed with settings. Using an Avocado

New to TC... Trying to find a single coil build that work as good or better than VW. As of yet, TC is eluding me. At wattages that don't eat batteries.

What grade of SS it is buddy?

Eddie88

Member For 3 Years
For NI 200

TCR will be 0.00600 or 0.00620 try the former then the latter

NI temp setting I would start at 400f and work up get to a temp where you are happy with flavour and clouds without it tasting burnt or too hot for you then note this setting for future reference

In terms of wattage as other have said start at 20w and work up NI heats quickly so it will ramp up faster than other metals ...remember wattage is only serving to get you to your temp here if your chain vaping and taking long drags don't set this too high 50w should be upper limit unless it's a really big build

Also adjust the air vent .....when you're in power mode you might have air vent open far more than you want it to be in temp control at least this is what I've found
Thanks @KingPin! for the advice. Not big into clouds more about flavor that's why I wanted to get into temp control. Thanks for the TCR settings they are prefect on my cuboid. Should have got into TC sooner flavor is awesome

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks @KingPin! for the advice. Not big into clouds more about flavor that's why I wanted to get into temp control. Thanks for the TCR settings they are prefect on my cuboid. Should have got into TC sooner flavor is awesome

Awesome :) the vent hole for flavour is critical in all this... on my tank it was nearly closed lol I normally have it 2 thirds open in power mode... but holy shit is that vape good! I do this 1 for flavour and 2 because it will be more airy in temp control which will dry your throat so keeps it moist for you ... having said that closing the vent means less air on the coil so heats up quicker

I've also tried briefly blowing out before inhaling as a means to reduce temp on coil then let go of The power button just before I finish the draw these things can help

Gonna get myself a proper temp control mod like the Hohm Wrecker G2 or one of the new DNA250 mods at the moment my mod just isn't doing it the justice it deserves!

Last edited:

Eddie88

Member For 3 Years
Awesome :) the vent hole for flavour is critical in all this... on my tank it was nearly closed lol I normally have it 2 thirds open... but holy shit is that vape good!

Gonna get myself a proper temp control mod like the Hohm Wrecker G2 or one of the new DNA250 mods at the moment my mod just isn't doing it the justice it deserves!
What mod are you vaping with now. I got the joywtech cuboid 150w, YIHI SXmini M-Class and what turned out way better than I thought it would be I have the Istick Pico 75w. Got it for a on the pocket mod but find myself using it more and more lately. Gotta get rid of one though since I'm picking up the VT133 with the DNA chip tomorrow lol.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
What mod are you vaping with now. I got the joywtech cuboid 150w, YIHI SXmini M-Class and what turned out way better than I thought it would be I have the Istick Pico 75w. Got it for a on the pocket mod but find myself using it more and more lately. Gotta get rid of one though since I'm picking up the VT133 with the DNA chip tomorrow lol.

Only got a Smok H-Priv 220w at the moment does the job ok just inconsistently

See that's the good thing about temp control you can use a much lower wattage mod and as long as it's accurate in temp control doesn't really matter how powerful it is youre never going to high on the wattage .... I guess only beneficial thing is more batteries =longer life before I need to change them and covers the drain better when pulsing

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have 316L 28 and 30 on hand... can get any other in a day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hi Honda

I ran a 316l dual fused clapton coil set up (2 x 28g core,38g wrap all 316l) starting resistence was ohm at 0.32 (note coil was spaced TC more accurate that way)

Set the TCR to 0.00088
Wattage at 40
Temp at 500.F

Vapes bloody lovely right there for me ....slower 3-4 second long drags.... not short bursts like you're used to in power mode because you're worried it's gonna burn the shit out of everything .... slowing your inhale I found is pretty important in TC

Air hole open only very little on the tank but enough so I don't feel like I'm not getting enough DL air though (hate that feeling like trying to breath through a straw ya panic quick lol)

Gonna be trying a simple dual coil spaced 316l next see how I get on with that I'll report back when I finally get my new tank I've ordered! (On slow boat from china) will try 26 or 28 gauge first I think

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do we have a good thread on the DNA boards and how to use escribe? If not, would it be a good thread type to start and link to this TC thread ?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Do we have a good thread on the DNA boards and how to use escribe? If not, would it be a good thread type to start and link to this TC thread ?
Great idea phantom needs to have its own sticky and linked here! I'm certainly no DNA expert

Founds these threads which would be relevant

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hohm-wrecker-g2-and-slice-first-time-users-guide.292147/

External forum post which seems decent

http://vaping360.com/how-to-use-escribe-with-your-dna200/

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@f1r3b1rd --- Yup, I was just reading some of his posts and escribe files that he posted. Hadn't put together a good list yet as I was still reading.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@f1r3b1rd --- Yup, I was just reading some of his posts and escribe files that he posted. Hadn't put together a good list yet as I was still reading.
He has most of those threads in his signature- or did.
I dont see them in Tapatalk

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Equally important in that a lot of top tier TC mods contain YiHi SX series chips I'm pretty sure they have SXi software to customise power curves etc be good to have a guide on this as well

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Others reading this so far there are two giants in the TC world for chipsets (those chips feature in many products out there)

Evolv DNA series
YiHi SX series

FSK - up and coming recognised as a temp control leader now as well

Other companies are doing thier own chips for TC in house to get the job done I.e Sigelei, Joyetech, Innokin, Kangertech,Cloupour and Smok etc but these companies aren't recognised as leaders in TC hence the higher cost of mods containing DNA or YiHi chips

DNA chips offer full customisation of the chips
YiHi offers a lower level of customisation probably for Intellectual property reasons

Last edited:

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Others reading this so far there are two giants in the TC world for chipsets (those chips feature in many products out there)

Evolv DNA series
YiHi SX series

Other companies are doing thier own chips for TC in house to get the job done I.e Sigelei, Joyetech, Innokin, Kangertech,Cloupour and Smok etc but these companies aren't recognised as leaders in TC hence the higher cost of mods containing DNA or YiHi chips

DNA chips offer full customisation of the chips
YiHi offers a lower level of customisation probably for Intellectual property reasons
The Joyetech boards can now offer about the same level of customization...

Use the AlphaFox app, and the latest FOSS firmware...

ETA: Currently running this on my iStick 200 and Wismec Press 100. Flawless...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Gregjl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Who wants four pieces of ss clapton wire? I tried two of them out and, 8 wraps is all you get with the length I had and in tc mode as high a temp as I could go the coils dont seems to heat up much. So back to wattage and there it takes some time to make the coils glow and when they do I need a pot holder to hold my mod. And it shut itself down for a while, too hot. Maybe I'll try again in the future, maybe a single coil.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who wants four pieces of ss clapton wire? I tried two of them out and, 8 wraps is all you get with the length I had and in tc mode as high a temp as I could go the coils dont seems to heat up much. So back to wattage and there it takes some time to make the coils glow and when they do I need a pot holder to hold my mod. And it shut itself down for a while, too hot. Maybe I'll try again in the future, maybe a single coil.
What are you running in and on?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Joyetech boards can now offer about the same level of customization...

Use the AlphaFox app, and the latest FOSS firmware...

ETA: Currently running this on my iStick 200 and Wismec Press 100. Flawless...

Apparently, I misspoke... er, miswrote? It's not Alpha Fox, it's Arctic Fox...

http://nfeteam.org/

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Found out there is a sweet spot for resistence and each regulated mod for instance;

On my Smok H-Priv apparently coil builds giving me 0.29ohm resistence is my my mods sweet spot for balancing performance and power

Hmmm might make a list of mods and target coil resistence for those that care....

give me a bit I'll post out workings so you can do it for yourselves

Last edited:

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
How does the atty affect TC? When I experiment with different attys, i use the same wire, build, cotton and juice. But some attys do better on TC than others. For ex, the serpent mini and pharaoh perform well with TC, but the avocado and hadaly (clone) are so-so. Or else, they jump to temp protect rather quickly.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I would say there are several elements here
1) when you say you use the same coil build is this a chunky coil or simple? as has been said before in this thread more mass means heat is held onto longer
2) some attys dicipate heat better than others, how much room there is in there when assembled, the mass of the atty and how much metal is used to make it, the type of metal used in its construction, the flow of air over the coils etc will all impact this
3) whether an atty is designed to favour clouds or flavour
4) wicking obviously factors in everything whether it's power mode or temp mode one of the most important factors

These would be my assumptions on this anyway

As to what the gold standard is I couldn't tell you this will always be subjective but could answer why you are finding differences :) using this take a look at the attys you've used so far and you'll know the types of things to look for in the future when trying new ones

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I would say there are several elements here
1) when you say you use the same coil build is this a chunky coil or simple? as has been said before in this thread more mass means heat is held onto longer
2) some attys dicipate heat better than others, how much room there is in there when assembled, the mass of the atty and how much metal is used to make it, the type of metal used in its construction, the flow of air over the coils etc will all impact this
3) whether an atty is designed to favour clouds or flavour
4) wicking obviously factors in everything whether it's power mode or temp mode one of the most important factors

These would be my assumptions on this anyway

As to what the gold standard is I couldn't tell you this will always be subjective but could answer why you are finding differences :) using this take a look at the attys you've used so far and you'll know the types of things to look for in the future when trying new ones
Taking me a bit of time to go through the whole thread. In any case, thanks for the info. My default coils are spaced coils with resistances ranging from .25-.40. Sometimes i also use claptons. Same ohm range.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't seen any Temp Control graphs posted yet that show visually how / what TC is doing, so I figured I would record a graph so that those that are "visual" can possibly get a better understanding of what is going on.

I am using a DNA200 with a dual coil SS316L simple coil build. I have the MOD setup in TC-SS mode with a 60W power output and a 75W 1s pre-heat.

2017-02-18 21_29_09-Device Monitor - LostVapes DNA200 Blue BF__Temp Control Graph.png
Legend:
Black Line: Active Battery Power
Dark Red Line: Temp set @ 450F
Red Line: Active temp during hit
Dark Green Line: Set output wattage
Green Line: Active output wattage
Purple Line: Active coil ohm reading

So, here is what is happening.
#1 -- This first hit is from a cold coil. As you can see, the output wattage stays pretty flat line as the coil temp increases. Each hit is approx 3-3.5sec.
#2 -- This second hit is from an already warmed up coil. As you can see, the active temp reaches 450F much quicker than the last hit. When the TC threshold is reached, the output wattage starts dropping to be able to maintain a constant 450F temp.
#3 -- Again, this hit is from an already warmed up coil. Same as #2, the temp reaches 450F quickly, and the output wattage drops to compensate the constant 450F. The output wattage ends at 37W output and not 60W because the coil temp is stable at 450F and the MOD does not need to deliver more power.

TC Benefits

• Ability to maintain a constant heat output to the user
  • More efficient power drain on the batteries as the MOD (TC mode) will automatically fluctuate the output wattage. It will output the wattage needed to maintain the requested temp.

Last edited:

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So on my Therion 166 im I'm trying to use t.c. I'm using the ss316 profile. I'm at 45 watts and 410 degrees f. A few seconds into the vape, the display flashes temperature protection 3 times.....why is it doing that? Is there something wrong or is it supposed to do that?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So on my Therion 166 im I'm trying to use t.c. I'm using the ss316 profile. I'm at 45 watts and 410 degrees f. A few seconds into the vape, the display flashes temperature protection 3 times.....why is it doing that? Is there something wrong or is it supposed to do that?
Because you hit the temp its set for. If you want a hotter vape, raise the temp

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Look at the post right above yours --- I explained it visually.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Look at the post right above yours --- I explained it visually.
I understand what your saying. It's just sometimes my mod flashes temperature protection. Which is listed as a warning in my owners manual. Does it mean something is wrong? I should not vape it till it cools down? Is something else wrong? Or does everyone's DNA mod flash that when using tc?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I understand what your saying. It's just sometimes my mod flashes temperature protection. Which is listed as a warning in my owners manual. Does it mean something is wrong? I should not vape it till it cools down? Is something else wrong? Or does everyone's DNA mod flash that when using tc?
Nope, nothing wrong. That is just letting the end user know that the Temp protection kicked in and is saving your mouth from the possible fire that could have been blown into your mouth. :giggle:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

@Wingsfan0310 ...Steve is our resident DNA expert hoping he can advise I don't own a DNA device yet so don't know the ins and outs ...I'll certainly be seeking his advice when I get my new mod through hehe (hope you don't mind me tagging you for this Steve)

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nope, nothing wrong. That is just letting the end user know that the Temp protection kicked in and is saving your mouth from the possible fire that could have been blown into your mouth. :giggle:
Cool. Awesome. Thanks!!! This whole temp control is new to me....when I have it dialed in right.....there's no better vape.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cool. Awesome. Thanks!!! This whole temp control is new to me....when I have it dialed in right.....there's no better vape.
Yea, getting it dialed into your preferred heat index can be time consuming ... and changes MOD to MOD. I've got a nice variance of MODs now and they are ALL different in how they do TC and what coils they do TC in well.

ozsa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys, I'm trying TC for the first time with my alien 220W mod, with a supreme aromamizer, dual coil, simple SS316L (no clapton or other fancy wire), come out at 0.19ohm, TC setting 0.0092, have it set for 200C (about 400F) and 60W. Here's what I don't get. Sometimes when the coil is cold, the temp protection kicks in very fast, like 2 seconds other times I can vape over 6seconds with it, even if it displayed the protection, it stops briefly and then massive vape again, shouldn't it supposed to stop burning the coil if it reached the temp ? Can the vape itself cool down the coil even without vaping on it? Lets say if I just turn it on but don't vape it, after 4-5seconds it should stop all together because there is no air flow to cool it, am I right ? I thought TC lets you push the power button all day and control the temp + vapor production.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hey guys, I'm trying TC for the first time with my alien 220W mod, with a supreme aromamizer, dual coil, simple SS316L (no clapton or other fancy wire), come out at 0.19ohm, TC setting 0.0092, have it set for 200C (about 400F) and 60W. Here's what I don't get. Sometimes when the coil is cold, the temp protection kicks in very fast, like 2 seconds other times I can vape over 6seconds with it, even if it displayed the protection, it stops briefly and then massive vape again, shouldn't it supposed to stop burning the coil if it reached the temp ? Can the vape itself cool down the coil even without vaping on it? Lets say if I just turn it on but don't vape it, after 4-5seconds it should stop all together because there is no air flow to cool it, am I right ? I thought TC lets you push the power button all day and control the temp + vapor production.

Did you take off and replace the tank when in temp mode? It's really important to do this so it detects the resistence at room temp... so avoid having a go in wattage mode then switching to temp mode it needs to be from cold

Try lowering the wattage to 40 it might be ramping up to quickly for you especially with simple wraps ...play about with this setting

Set temp a little higher maybe 420 keep playing with this setting as well ..going up until it's good for you

Also try TCR between 0.00088 or 0.00092 noticed you didn't have enough zeros in your post so the alien is probably thinking it's a different metal :)

Ensure resistence isn't jumping about ...reset your tank from time to time when cold, as lose legs will throw temp control off something wrotten

Last but not least if you chain vape it will display the message reached temp quickly because coil hasn't cooled ....all of these setting are telling your device what resistence to stop at ...if it detects it it should stop that it doing its job

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sorry following on my phone had a hissy

in terms of taking off your tank For the starting resistence ....if you're outside in the cold at the start try that instead ...but you will need to reset from time to time as temp isn't consistent ...and always do this before heating the coil

Takes a little patience to dial it in once done though it's awesome note down your setting once your happy for future reference on that coil type

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's you coils build.....could be the coil is too small for the setting and is getting overheated. Or the PCB is due to amp draw.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's you coils build.....could be the coil is too small for the setting and is getting overheated. Or the PCB is due to amp draw.

So it's NOT suppose flash "temperature protection "? I'm running ss316l dual claptons on the goon.

VU Sponsors