Temp Control Q&A

Discussion in 'Regulated (Voltage / Wattage / 3.7v/ Temp Control)' started by KingPin!, Jan 29, 2017.

1. KingPin!

KingPin! Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Either could try bumping the TCR up to 0092 see if that changes the M1 setting which will probably be what the standard TC uses (others say this is the right TCR for 316 I've always used steam engine as a guide myself)

2. F1END

F1END New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I currently have M1 set to 0088, M2 set to 0092 and M3 set to 0130, which was suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Problem is, even with resistance locked, switching between modes while the coil is warm kicks me out of TC mode and suddenly I'm vaping at 20w in VW mode. Therefore I have to wait for the coils to cool down before I can compare.

Will test some more.

I'm getting a decent vape just using the default TC-SS mode at 150˚C (302˚F), just trying to understand why it's so different when set to 0088. 270˚C (518˚F) seems rather hot, or is that more likely the correct value, and the 150˚C is a little low?

3. fq06

fq06 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    TC-SS and TCR 0092 should produce the same vape if set to the same temp assuming TC-SS is set by the factory for 316L.

You don't have to wait for anything, just change modes. Only time you have to wait for the atomizer to cool down is if you are locking in resistance.

4. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Some mods will kick you out like F1end has found if it requires to lock resistence in each mode

Raymcconn likes this.
  5. F1END

F1END New Member

Blog Posts:
    Tried all now. I can get a decent vape out of all 3, I'm just interested in what the SS mode is set to by default (I'm guessing around 0150) and which one is actually correct!!

TC-SS: nice at around 150-160˚C
    TCR0088: nice at 270-280˚C
    TCR0092: around 250-260˚C
    TCR0130: nicest around 200-210˚C

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I can get a nice vape out of it whatever, but then it vapes OK at around 45-50W in VW mode anyway!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    KingPin! likes this.
  6. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    TC varies wildly from device as to how accurate the chip reads it. sounds like 0150 is what they set it at like you say, end of the day the setting that works best for you after trial an error is the best one to use, even in escribe for DNA it takes time to dial it in

7. fq06

fq06 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:

Never had one do that, the board locks resistance and you can change the program to whatever mode you want and the locked resistance is locked resistance. Yeah, go from SS or TCR 0092 to Ni with SS wire and you get kicked out but to stick with the same wire setting, it should not need to be relocked.
    I don't have cheap mods, so maybe that issue does exist and hasn't happened to me. I stuck with two high end boards and a RX200 but even the RX200 doesn't operate like that.

That makes perfect sense.
    If you leave temp at one setting, a higher TCR will give you a hotter vape and a lower TCR will give you cooler vape.
    So to keep the vape the same temp you had to reduce temp setting as you increased TCR.

450° to 500°F is about the average temp people use, that's 232° to 260°C so I think 0092 is most likely the correct TCR for the wire you are using.

Like you and kingpin said, whatever works and makes you happy is the right setting for you. But this reply is just to point out the relation of TCR to temp setting so you understand what the change does and not just set to a number someone or a site told you to set it to.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017