Temp Control Q&A

Discussion in 'Regulated (Voltage / Wattage / 3.7v/ Temp Control)' started by KingPin!, Jan 29, 2017.

1. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Either could try bumping the TCR up to 0092 see if that changes the M1 setting which will probably be what the standard TC uses (others say this is the right TCR for 316 I've always used steam engine as a guide myself)

2. F1END

F1END New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I currently have M1 set to 0088, M2 set to 0092 and M3 set to 0130, which was suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Problem is, even with resistance locked, switching between modes while the coil is warm kicks me out of TC mode and suddenly I'm vaping at 20w in VW mode. Therefore I have to wait for the coils to cool down before I can compare.

Will test some more.

I'm getting a decent vape just using the default TC-SS mode at 150˚C (302˚F), just trying to understand why it's so different when set to 0088. 270˚C (518˚F) seems rather hot, or is that more likely the correct value, and the 150˚C is a little low?

3. fq06

fq06 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    TC-SS and TCR 0092 should produce the same vape if set to the same temp assuming TC-SS is set by the factory for 316L.

You don't have to wait for anything, just change modes. Only time you have to wait for the atomizer to cool down is if you are locking in resistance.

4. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Some mods will kick you out like F1end has found if it requires to lock resistence in each mode

Raymcconn likes this.
  5. F1END

F1END New Member

Blog Posts:
    Tried all now. I can get a decent vape out of all 3, I'm just interested in what the SS mode is set to by default (I'm guessing around 0150) and which one is actually correct!!

TC-SS: nice at around 150-160˚C
    TCR0088: nice at 270-280˚C
    TCR0092: around 250-260˚C
    TCR0130: nicest around 200-210˚C

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I can get a nice vape out of it whatever, but then it vapes OK at around 45-50W in VW mode anyway!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    KingPin! likes this.
  6. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    TC varies wildly from device as to how accurate the chip reads it. sounds like 0150 is what they set it at like you say, end of the day the setting that works best for you after trial an error is the best one to use, even in escribe for DNA it takes time to dial it in

7. fq06

fq06 Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:

Never had one do that, the board locks resistance and you can change the program to whatever mode you want and the locked resistance is locked resistance. Yeah, go from SS or TCR 0092 to Ni with SS wire and you get kicked out but to stick with the same wire setting, it should not need to be relocked.
    I don't have cheap mods, so maybe that issue does exist and hasn't happened to me. I stuck with two high end boards and a RX200 but even the RX200 doesn't operate like that.

That makes perfect sense.
    If you leave temp at one setting, a higher TCR will give you a hotter vape and a lower TCR will give you cooler vape.
    So to keep the vape the same temp you had to reduce temp setting as you increased TCR.

450° to 500°F is about the average temp people use, that's 232° to 260°C so I think 0092 is most likely the correct TCR for the wire you are using.

Like you and kingpin said, whatever works and makes you happy is the right setting for you. But this reply is just to point out the relation of TCR to temp setting so you understand what the change does and not just set to a number someone or a site told you to set it to.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. JamesH

JamesH New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have a Ijoy Captain PD270 mod, I'm using a ACME TANK, and the coil size is an ijoy . 25 ohm, 5-20 watts coil, I'm new to vaping and I'm sure its not set up right coils don't last but a few puffs and then its burnt hits.

Can anyone help me? Tank is 304 stainless steel.

Attached Files:

9. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    is it the tank that is made out of 304 or the coil wire? I’m willing to bet that’s a kanthal coil.

shawn.hoefer likes this.
  10. shawn.hoefer

shawn.hoefer Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    The tank is constructed out of 304. The coils are not. The coils are likely Kanthal or NiChrome 80. Those wires are not suitable for TC on 99.999% of mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

skt239 likes this.
  11. shawn.hoefer

Blog Posts:
    Great mimes... or sumpin' like that...

skt239 likes this.
  12. JamesH

JamesH New Member

Blog Posts:
    Let me take a look and see if I can't get info on those coils

13. shawn.hoefer

Blog Posts:
    JamesH likes this.
  14. JamesH

JamesH New Member

Blog Posts:
    Description:

Coil’s design is base on the Inspiration of the RDA atomizer, it is the newest and best structure when compare with kanger and aspire.

It is the smallest coil when compare with kanger and aspire. But the power of it is incredible.

For the smallest size, it allows the ACME atomizer to hold more e-liquid. Our 22mm ACME can hold 5ml e-liquid.

what is new in the IJOY ACME-L COIL design?

ijoy acme-L coils have two choices.

A1(horizontal coil) coil for ACME-L introduction:

1.Coil’s design is base on the Inspiration of the RDA/RBA atomizer, it is the newest and best structure when compare with kanger and aspire.

2.it is dual coil design, and with the fastest e-liquid intake system and greatest vapor production and best taste. when it works on 20w~25w can work perfectly.

A2(vertical coil) coil for ACME-L introduction:

1.A2 is the first Parallel dual coil. can offer better experience than BVC technology. when it works on 25w~30w can offer perfect vapor experience.

Both A1 and A2 coil use the stainless steel cover, which can keep the coil from high temperature to ensure the clearomizer won't get high temperature.

another advantage is the size of the coil is the smallest one when compare to other sub ohm tank design, which can leave more space for use to fill e-liquid for atomizer

15. JamesH

JamesH New Member

Blog Posts:
    I think there is to much power hitting the coil resulting in burnt hits

shawn.hoefer likes this.
  16. shawn.hoefer

Blog Posts:
    There is no way for the mod to regulate temperature on these coils. They should be used in wattage mode only.

17. JamesH

JamesH New Member

Blog Posts:
    So that would be user setting and just keep low at 25 watts? I probably cooked it using it at higher watts.

I'm new to vaping have a cloud beast king tank but it leaks like a pig. I like the ijoy acme tank because it don't leak. Can you recommend a set up for my mod with a tank that don't leak and a newbie can handle? Thanks

18. shawn.hoefer

Blog Posts:
    Keep the Acme around 25 watts, yes.

Tanks that don't leak? Smok Xbaby, Cleito Exo. Those are top airflow tanks, though, and they're prone to flooding...

If your Cloud Beast King (aka TFV12) leaks like a sieve, it could be the seals/o-rings, the coil, or running at too low a wattage causing the cotton to become over-saturated. Check your seals, install a new, primed coil, and increase the wattage. I wouldn't have even discussed the TFV12 except that's what I'm using this evening, and have used for the past 4 days with very few leaks (floods while filling). Note, however, that I am using the Ystar TFV12 RBA rather than a stock coil head.

19. JamesH

JamesH New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info and yes mine floods too, but its to powerful for me right now, will save for the future. I ordered new coils can't wait to get them for this acme tank.

Thanks for the advice!

shawn.hoefer likes this.
  20. HamNik

HamNik New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi all

I'm vaping with a voopoo drag
    I'm gonna use dual coils, two staggered fused clapton with a total resistance of 0.2.

since voopoo has a TC mode named NC with recommended TCR of 400
    I know NC mode is JUST a mode and you can made a lot of these modes yourself with a range and drag has a TCR mode with a nice range of numbers to choose from.

anw
    what do you think about this setup

21. shawn.hoefer

Blog Posts:
    What wires are used in the coils?

NC often stands for NiChrome (80). There are some that claim it can be used in TC, but it's an iffy proposition at best. If it's SS316L, just use the correct mode. However, I think you'll be disappointed in the performance as it'll take a lot more wattage than the VooPoo can dish out to ramp up. You're better off, in that mod, using round wires rather than exotics...

HamNik likes this.
  22. HamNik

HamNik New Member

Blog Posts:
    oh I forgot to give u the wire details
    it's : [26GA+32GA]*2 as core (loose) wrapped in 30GA
    its staggered fused clapton by Vapethink

I was expecting 0.2 but I got 0.16 when I installed it

ye Drag's TC mode is fair in above 0.2 ohm range

I'm using it in wattage mode now, on 75 Watt, giving me a good vape \m/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  23. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    How well does a parallel SS build do temp control, assuming the mod handles TC well? I'm looking at building a 6 strand parallel build (dual coils) 316L for a DNA250C, and wondering if it would work in TC/Replay...seems like it should, with wires all being SS and same gauge, with very high gauge kanthal wrap?

KingPin! likes this.
  24. mjag

mjag Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I have heard that Replay works fine with a SS core, kanthal/nichrome wrap. I haven't tried it myself but know Replay is pretty forgiving. I use parallel SS claptons a bunch for TC and no prob just as long as they are made with quality wire.

KingPin! and Pegleg Meg like this.
  25. Severinomotta

Severinomotta New Member

Blog Posts:
    NO TC AFTER HEAT AND RINSE SS CLAPTON COILS...

Ow man, big discussion abou TC huh?

So here goes a new one. Dont know if it is my shi* prebuild SS Claptons (24g-32g) or my mod or my tank.

But the thing is this. When i clean the SS Clapton - heat, tap water, do it again one or two times, them brush it a little bit with a metalic brush, it looks almost like new. BUT....

It loses the TC ability.

It became to work just like in power mode. If i put 100 celsius or 300 celsius nothing changes. The vape is the same i get in watts mode. If it is 60 watts, ill have the same cloud and same temperature, and this happen with my mod in TC mode.

Did it two times. In this two times i had to change my coils for new ones to the TC mode work again. Put new ones and boom, TC all working fine again.

Use Revenger X and Zeus Dual Coils WITH de dual coils :)

Any one of you guys think the termic shock in SS in the cleaning process with tap water can affect anything? Os maybe is just a lousy pre made coil i bought (or mod, or whatever)?

Thansk, and beautiful discussion above.

Best for the ladies and the dudes.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Pegleg Meg likes this.
  26. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    after a clean it is worth resetting your resistance you didn’t mention if you had done that mate?

If you have then sometimes a little adjustment with the TCR setting and temp can help offset any slight changes to the metals structure (move it up in value rather than down first)

shawn.hoefer likes this.
  27. Severinomotta

Severinomotta New Member

Blog Posts:
    King, sorry for my bad english, beside that, i still not quite used to the vap slangs.... So lets go. 1) " resetting your resistance" - what do you mean by that? (unlock and then lock again the resistence? is this? ) if not, what exactly is this and how can i do it? - and 2) Guess i did it one time (unlock and then lock again), but no sure, so lets go for a "no". Other thing, when i have this kind of trouble i always check the TCR and it stills in 92 (as i had set it to my SS316). And, for the finale, i didnt quite understand the " (move it up in value rather than down first)". You mean up my TCR and the temp and give a few fires?

Sorry to bother with all this questions, but very gratefull for your attention.

Thanks again man.

PS: Cause what i think that what could be happening is some kind of transformation in the SS or in its peel. Maybe i heat it too much for a SS before put under tap water... The thing is, after that, the mod seems to not recognize it anymore like SS and assume it is just a regular Kantal or other non TC wire, and begin to work like it work in regular power mode, even when is in TC mode-- and all of this is i trying to guess, all supositions, of course :) im not a scientist or nothing, kkk

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  28. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    No probs :)

1) Remove the atomiser completely and press the fire button on the mod, this will reset the resistance most of the time to 0 ohms (if not unlock resistance then do the above)

When you have re-wicked and juiced up the atomiser, at room temperature re-attach the atomiser and let the mod read the resistance again (lock it in before you heat the coil if you have to do that on that mod)

2) I’ve seen mods range anywhere between 0.00088 to 0.00140 before to get TC working for stainless steel so instead of 0.00092 (92) try 94 then 96 etc ...see what I mean?

Note: TCR is a linear line to show average resistance change when heated, it stands to reason depending on where you buy the wire, it’s impurities or composition and the accuracy of the mod itself will affect this variable.

Also warm glow only for SS if you are over heating it you will make it rust and frankly it’ll taste like shit at that point

Severinomotta likes this.
  29. Severinomotta

Severinomotta New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much for the info King.

Just one last doubt.

When you say "Remove the atomiser completely" is just like, take the hole tank, the Zeus in my case, of the mode, and fire? Or
    disassemble the entire Zeus, taking the coils off also, assemble it all again, puting coils back, attach the rest, etc, and then follow the next steps?

Thanks again.

Peace man!

30. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Just take the Zeus off the mod ..no need to dissasble you’ve already done that when cleaning :)

You are resetting the mod effectively