Become a Patron!

Temp Control

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello, I'm having alot of trouble finding a "temp control for dummies" post anywhere... I really want to try it out, have tried it out half-assed because Idk what I'm doing! Are there any basic rules for all temp control devices or is it for each device? I'm finding alot of what temp a certain person likes that works for them but I can't find anything on what to do to get to that point... I hope this makes sense... A beginners guide to temp control is what I'm looking for I guess. Thanks in advance and I'm very sorry if I posted in the wrong spot...

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TC is good at preventing dry hits, and giving a nice regulated vape. You have two numbers that you adjust. One number is your power, and it may be expressed in watts or joules, this basically controls how fast your coils are going to heat. The other number is your temperature, this is the max temp you want your coils to achieve. I may not be doing it right, but I adjust my tempt to a point that the build will not burn the wick. Then I adjust the power to where I get a nice ramp up, without a lot of power kicking on and off going to the coil. You will taste the mod turning heat on and off to your coils, people call it rattlesnake if it is doing it a lot. I see people set temp and leave their watts at 200, and the mod is pulsing on and off constantly during the vape, it will not hurt the MOD, it just may not be your preference. If you want something different, try setting a temp, then lowering your power until it quits pulsing. It's just a different vape because the coils are not coming up to whatever you have set as temp as fast. If you get a dry hit, lower the temp.

Last edited:

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the responses... Is there a big difference in Ni wire and Titanium? That doesn't really matter because I don't have any titanium atm but I do have nickel. I also have stainless steel wire but nothing that reads it so there's really no point in this whole post! :) :)
What is a good starting point? Like temp/wattage or is it completely up to my tastes? I think what's throwing me off is the fact that I'm still using wattage settings, for some reason I thought that you set the temp and boom, time to vape!

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One more question if its OK... I have several tanks that have rba heads for them. Can I use stainless steel as my wire in straight power mode? I've noticed that a lot of pre-made coils are made with SS and are used in power mode but Idk if I can make a coil myself out of SS and use it without temp control. Basically, can I substitute SS for Kanthal?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes you can use SS in power mode, I've made the switch to SS for both temp control and standard vaping. Not using Nickle anymore.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the responses... Is there a big difference in Ni wire and Titanium? That doesn't really matter because I don't have any titanium atm but I do have nickel. I also have stainless steel wire but nothing that reads it so there's really no point in this whole post! :) :)
What is a good starting point? Like temp/wattage or is it completely up to my tastes? I think what's throwing me off is the fact that I'm still using wattage settings, for some reason I thought that you set the temp and boom, time to vape!

Start with 30 watts and 450 degrees, up the temp to get the vapor you want. The more watts you use, the quicker the atty comes up to full temp and temp limiting.

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Start with 30 watts and 450 degrees, up the temp to get the vapor you want. The more watts you use, the quicker the atty comes up to full temp and temp limiting.
Thank you so much! That's what I needed was a jumping off point... I shall attempt temp control again as soon as batteries are done charging. Also, cool beans about the SS coils. I seem to get a better, cleaner vape with SS... Idk why, it could be all in my head but I do like it better than Kanthal. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tina, you didn't specify a build, so even 30w may be too high.
Start even lower with a new build.
Especially with little RBA heads and their trickier wicking.

TC has saved my ass many times when my wicking skillz just suck and I'm too lazy to open it up and rewick. :p

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tina, you didn't specify a build, so even 30w may be too high.
Start even lower with a new build.
Especially with little RBA heads and their trickier wicking.

TC has saved my ass many times when my wicking skillz just suck and I'm too lazy to open it up and rewick. :p[/QUOTE
No rda, delta 2 rba head and the NEbox Ni coil. I thought if I could get it working right I'd try my Kayfun and Orchid with Ni but that's after I figure it all out. I still haven't figured out how to wick properly! I can make a decent coil but when it comes to wicking I either use too much or too little... Nice to know that temp control helps out with that :)

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It can.
It's doing it now for me on both a Crown factory head and my own build in a Bellus RTA.
Each needs new wick. They'll burn if I turn them up.

So I lower the watts and accept the longer ramp-up time.
But the temp limiting allows the wicking to keep up, so I still can get a full draw.

Solutions for the lazy vaper.
I'll get around to fixing them both... mañana. :p

Tina Ellis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It can.
It's doing it now for me on both a Crown factory head and my own build in a Bellus RTA.
Each needs new wick. They'll burn if I turn them up.

So I lower the watts and accept the longer ramp-up time.
But the temp limiting allows the wicking to keep up, so I still can get a full draw.

Solutions for the lazy vaper.
I'll get around to fixing them both... mañana. :p
Story of my life... :p:D:D:p

VU Sponsors