Become a Patron!

Temp control??

Recently I just purchased a new mod for myself, the Wismec rx 200 with the new Aspire Cleito 120 tank .16 coil. I've never vaped over 50 watts and notice whenever I vape 115 on wattage mode my setup gets warm, not hot, but it tends to make me uncomfortable. I've seen some videos about temp control, but nothing that'll help me. What's a good setting if I want the flavor and vapor production of 115 watts without the hot hit? I'm also going through juice a lot quicker and I know higher wattage has a factor, but anything to keep the flavor and vapor of higher wattage without juice burning fast, as well, and any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Scribb|e

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When you say 'it makes you uncomfortable' - what do you mean, exactly? Do you mean that the unit actually becomes physically uncomfortable to hold, or just that you feel that it's getting too hot for your liking, and that you feel that it's somehow wrong?

There is no 'setting' that will give you the vape production of a wattage that high that uses less watts, and you will always use more juice the more vapour is made - that's just physics.

It's more to do with the design of the tank, type of head/coil etc - some tanks are designed to provide a better low-power, MTL-style vape, and others to provide a 'Big Air', SubOhm, high-power DTL-type vape. Some tanks try and do both, but often are pretty 'meh' at either end of the scale.

If you want to try Temperature Control mode, then you can do that with an SS coil, but it will often provide a 'cooler' vape than Power Mode. Try it out, and see how you get on with it - I will say though, that Temp Mode is more about making sure that the coil doesn't fire at maximum power when it's dry to prevent dry hits and cotton charring than it is about actually making the unit run cooler or whatever.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
At 115 watts, even above 50 watts, things heat up due to the current (amps) being pulled/generated. All this current is passed from or through the 3 major components, batteries, coil, and bodies of the mod and atomizer. Batteries the more amps pulled from them, more they heat up and need time to relax to cool back down, this cool down period is done through passive means, air surrounding them and thermal conductivity to anything touching them, battery tray inside the mod, circuitry and terminal contacts, the mod itself. The coil, like batteries, radiates heat and cools off through evaporation, vaporizing juice, when evaporation kicks out, Cooling shifts to passive like batteries through thermal conductivity, from anything the coil is in contact with, coil housing, juice, to tank/atomizer base, down into the mod. During firing, all that electricity flowing, flows through the mod and atomizer housings, this increases it's temperature slightly.

All three of those conductive elements combined at once compound upon each other, but the critical temperature is the batteries, batteries go nuclear at about 100C (212F) to 120C(248F), by the time you get half way to that point, the mod and batteries would be hot enough to burn your hand at about 54.4C (130F), not to mention the tank would be hot enough you wouldn't be able to touch it to your lips. If it is getting to warm to your safety concerns, set the mod aside to rest for about 30 minutes and rotate to a new device/ setup.

It's not that it's getting warm to the point that it burns, but it makes me feel uncomfortable when it gets warm because I have had a setup where every three hits and then after it would physically burn my lips because it got so hot so I guess it's just a reflex. Is there any temp setting that would give me the flavor of 115w but a cooler vape? You guys have taught me a good bit, but I'm still confused as to what to even set it at. Settings are where I'm confused which is why I'm using the example of 115w flavor, but cooler vape. Because my tank does start to get warm and I feel a cooler temp would be better, but I don't know what temp.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Variable temp control is like variable voltage and variable wattage. There is no silver bullet for every user. Start the TC low at first, 360 to 380 to start, then go up 5 to 10 degrees after trying a TC setting, it is trial and error for the end user's particular tastes. And FYI, the Cleito tank line is a notoriously known tank for being a lip scorcher, set it into TC mode or get a drip tip for it that isn't metal, wood, glass, ceramic, or Delrin/silicon/plastic work best

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My own RX200s gets warm.
I've verified it's not the batteries by pulling them out. It's the device itself.
I've noticed noticed it gets warm when vaping in an unventilated area.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
My own RX200s gets warm.
I've verified it's not the batteries by pulling them out. It's the device itself.
I've noticed noticed it gets warm when vaping in an unventilated area.
the device itself gets got. it's because the wire inside is too thin. I wouldn't use it over 100 watts personally. Most people who use it at a high wattage have upgraded the wiring and 510 pin

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've searched for an answer and only find vague references. "Ni and Ti coils are dangerous at too high a temp." WHAT IS TOO HIGH? I found ONE very old post somewhere that suggests 400, but I don't get much vapor, feel, flavor with my Ni if the temp is below 500. Is that "too high"? The other coils come with nice wattage ranges, and I can't find the same guidelines for TC, just "don't go too high."
Also, they hit the temp very quickly so I can't seem to get a nice, long steady pull.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ni200 nickel has a low melting point which a bit above most mod's highest temps of 600 to 650F, yet it enters the vapor aerosol at much lower temp settings, which is varied depending on tightness of wicking, type etc, generally a range of around 500 to 550F. Titanium Ti1 has its own hazard, has a higher melting point than Ni200, but if it gets dry and hot creates oxidation called titanium-dioxide, which is in itself not healthy, a byproduct that is used in paint pigments, generally white. Variable temp is still relatively in its infancy, not much if any at all GCMS testing has been done on it to give hard data reply, thus why all is so vague in response. Safest three metals currently for most cloud chasers is kanthal, nichrome, and stainless steel, personally I use Ni200 for my TC builds because I am not above 420-450F, and Ti1 gives me no flavor at all.

Temp settings for TC are just as those for VW, start low and gradually increase until the user themself reach their satisfying vape, there is no one size fits all silver bullet with vaping.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've searched for an answer and only find vague references. "Ni and Ti coils are dangerous at too high a temp." WHAT IS TOO HIGH? I found ONE very old post somewhere that suggests 400, but I don't get much vapor, feel, flavor with my Ni if the temp is below 500. Is that "too high"? The other coils come with nice wattage ranges, and I can't find the same guidelines for TC, just "don't go too high."
Also, they hit the temp very quickly so I can't seem to get a nice, long steady pull.
Ss wire is probably the best overall wire for vaping imo. At least until Nife becomes more readily available and in fancy wires

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not sure you can reach your goal of finding that 115 watts vape with temp control, even set on max 600 degrees. Temp control's main feature long ago was about "not burning" cotton, so it'll be hard to have that same as wattage experience like you want, it just won't warm up because it's limiting the heat. I don't like hot vapes, just moist/flavorful ones, and in my own experiences, I never got that full warm dense vape on temp control (everyone's settings/power/sweet spot is different of course). Then, there's others who love it. You just have to play around with temp settings more or just go to power mode. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds..

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
you'll really have to play around with it, until you find what you like.
sometimes raising the temp setting is the key to getting that ideal vape that you want,.
also, with SS while it is the most usable wire in vaping, it is not the easiest for tc with some mods.
it has a very low TCR value, meaning that the Resistance changes very little with heat, making It a little inaccurate for some boards to measure. It can also have a "break in " period. Sometimes using it in power mode for a little while and then going in and resetting it in TC mode, can let the wire "settle" into a more steady performance in TC mode.
ni200 was the first wire used in tc mode; because of its high TCR value and ease of distribution, but, some people were freaky; because it was nickel. The same went on for ti. Some individuals were afraid of over heating the wire and causing production of Carcinogens. - A fairly unrealistic possibility, since the idea was to keep the temperature of the metal a few thousand degrees lower than the needed temperature for the carcinogens to develop.
none the less, SS while it can at time be hokey, is easier to work with than the other two, and it has the benefit of being able to run in wattage mode.
- one more thing, make sure you are not running 304ss with the tcr value of 316ss or vice versa. Different grades of SS have different TCR values; and, using the wrong one with the wrong profile can give you "odd" performance.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find that it is hard to replicate the experience of real, high wattage vaping using TC- but I love TC myself, and when I fancy going a bit mad, have a blast at a higher power setting with TC off.

At 115W, things will get warm, but with the RX you are not in a danger area with good batteries-115W is just under 12A on the RX200 (Before efficiency, 13.3A @ 90% efficiency) so as long as you are using good 20A cells, you are good to go.

In regards to it burning your lips, you could try a different drip tip made from a material that does not conduct heat well, also you could use a heatsink under your tank to stop the heat travelling down from the tank to the mod if this is making you uncomfortable too.

If you do want to go TC though, as has been said you will really need to try it out to find what you like. You could of course use some big, beefy coils that need a fair amount of power to get up to temperature, but once this is reached the mod will not be putting out 115W anymore.
If it is a cooler vape you want though you could turn the power down a bit?

Temp control seems to be a bit of a marmite thing, I really do enjoy it but generally vape at much lower power levels.

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate to raise an old ass thread but I just got the cleito 120 to pair with my rx2/3 and had the same question. Which setting to use with TC as there are several and I can't find on the package or website which to use. Ni, Ti, SS, or TCRm1. I've just put set it on 110w and rolled with it. They recommend not going lower than 100w and say the cleito 120 is more than capable at 160w+. Also, you can't change the drip tip on the 120, it's built in. Any advice appreciated. Thanks =)

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I hate to raise an old ass thread but I just got the cleito 120 to pair with my rx2/3 and had the same question. Which setting to use with TC as there are several and I can't find on the package or website which to use. Ni, Ti, SS, or TCRm1. I've just put set it on 110w and rolled with it. They recommend not going lower than 100w and say the cleito 120 is more than capable at 160w+. Also, you can't change the drip tip on the 120, it's built in. Any advice appreciated. Thanks =)

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.
They don't make temp control coils for that tank as far as I know.

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They don't make temp control coils for that tank as far as I know.

Guess that's why I couldn't find it then. The OP mentioned the cleito 120 then all of the TC talk had me a bit confused. Thanks!

Scribb|e

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From what I can gather (Google) - that tank, the Cleito 120, comes with 0.16 Ohm coils that are mounted with Claptons made from Stainless Steel, so if you wanted to try using it in TC mode, then the correct setting would be SS mode.

Otherwise, just use it in normal Power Mode.

VU Sponsors