Become a Patron!

Temp control

I'm running a SMOK Alien 220W TC with a SS 0.15OHM coil, what temp setting should i have? and how do i check which type of SS coil it is?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Alien most times comes with a Baby Beast which none of the OE coils are SS316L but just Plain old Kanthal and not designed for TC. I am assuming that is the atomizer that @Infurno is using. Just my humble fucking opinion now.

JayyVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Pretty sure they are kanthal but I have 2 smok devices as well and they aren’t that good with temp control. Great mods, just not for temp control.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The housing on the Smok coil may be SS but I expect that the wire inside is Kanthal.
I do not know of any TC compatable Smok beastie type coils.

Welcome to VU btw.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The housing on the Smok coil may be SS but I expect that the wire inside is Kanthal.
I do not know of any TC compatable Smok beastie type coils.

Welcome to VU btw.
Yep its kanthal. Only drop in SS coils I know of is Uwell

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
From my understanding and experience(limited with smok):
The smok mods in general aren’t the best at tc, even with a ss coil.

If that’s something you do want to play with, you may want to consider some other options.. dna are expensive but arguably the best at it.
Pioneer4u is still using yihi boards which are; in my opinion, just as effective at tc; and, p4u mods are dramatically more affordable. Additionally voodoo are said to be exceptional with tc.
Plenty of other good options for effective tc: wismec, asmodus, gtrs

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
About the only way I can think of, since most premade coil units are kanthal, is to use a rebuildable coil head or deck. That way you can use stainless steel wire and use your TC mode. This will greatly reduce your battery run time though. 6 wraps of 24ga SS take about 4 times the wattage as a 6 wrap 24ga kanthal coil. (approximation). The reason is that SS is a conductive wire and kanthal is a resistance wire. Basically SS is great for making frying pans and pots but not for making the heating element on electric stoves. Kanthal takes lower wattage to heat, but similar to cast iron, would take longer to heat up if used to make the same frying pan. Not a great comparison, but should give an idea about resistance vs conductive wire.

Now as far as wattage vs TC there really isn't much difference, once you set your mod to it's sweet spot. Although, TC mode might let you avoid dry hits, since a dry wick would allow the coil to heat more, tc mode would cut the power down and prevent the wick from burning, straight wattage would not (so you make sure your wick stays wet)

Personally, I prefer wattage mode as it provides a steady vape where as tc might fluctuate during the pull.

Footnote: Kanger toptank mini comes with a rebuildable coil head (RBA Mini) and a 3 strand parallel coil (32ga SS wire) x 6 wraps (18 total coil loops) on a 2.25 mm id core, works quite well at about 33w and would work in TC mode.

VU Sponsors