Become a Patron!

temperature control and coil wattage

monsterlove

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi

I got my first DNA mod today, I set it up using the profiles from another member here and I just put on a 0.4ohm SS136L coil and switched to the SS316L profile. What I am wondering about is that on my device it say wattage is 35. I have read about ramp up and preheat and stuff but it is all still floating about in my head and....new. Anyway, my question is regarding the coil's recommended wattage range which is 40-80. I'm just wondering if this matters in temp control considering on my screen it says it starts at 35 (or it maintains 35 until hitting 420? I don't know....)

And one more thing, at room temp my coil is lower than the rating of the coil. Right now, for instance, it sits at 0.36. When vaping in wattage mode it climbs. I understand that I need to lock in the base resistance before using temp control, but considering the coil is supposed to be 0.4...is that a problem? On my alien I could adjust the ohms if it read it incorrectly, can you do that with DNA on the mod?

Using it in the SS316L profile too is crazy cold but it hits temp protect pretty quickly. It's very different from hitting it at 45 watts in power mode. Thoughts?

EDIT: just stumbled across how to change the wattage in temp control. Bumped it to 40 (the min recommended for the coil. Way better)

Help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The wattage printed on the coil is for power mode and has no relevance in TC. I prefer using 45 - 50 watts especially with pre-made coils but if you look at device monitor in Escribe while your taking a hit you'll see you rarely go over 35 watts before it pulls it down to between 9 and 14 watts to maintain temp. Most people say not to lock the resistance on a DNA mod because it refines the settings but I think it's more stable if you do. I lock mine but it's up to you.

Coils don't always match what's printed on them, you can change the ohm's setting on the profile page in Escribe were it says lock temp. But I'd say try it were the mod thinks it's at before you go mucking about. Whichever profile you want to set the ohm's on click on the box that says lock temp and enter what you want. Then upload it back to the mod.

If your resistance is off you'll know it by a crappy/burning hit.

Last edited:

monsterlove

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The wattage printed on the coil is for power mode and has no relevance in TC. I prefer using 45 - 50 watts especially with pre-made coils but if you look at device monitor in Escribe while your taking a hit you'll see you rarely go over 35 watts before it pulls it down to between 9 and 14 watts to maintain temp. Most people say not to lock the resistance on a DNA mod because it refines the settings but I think it's more stable if you do. I lock mine but it's up to you.

Coils don't always match what's printed on them, you can change the ohm's setting on the profile page in Escribe were it says lock temp. But I'd say try it were the mod thinks it's at before you go mucking about. Whichever profile you want to set the ohm's on click on the box that says lock temp and enter what you want. Then upload it back to the mod.

If your resistance is off you'll know it by a crappy/burning hit.

Cool. Thanks. I'm getting better results now. I think it might take me some time to remember what buttons to press though and when in order to get what I want. Very different to the smok alien I had before (kinda miss the alien's menu system to be honest, it was pretty straight forward).

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Having to use a computer is a pain but if you take the time to learn the software you can dial in exactly how you like to vape.
It does make a difference and once it's set up you don't have to fool with it just switch profiles for the perfect vape on any of your wire types, tanks or RDA's. Have fun.

I'll add that it is a comprehensive program and has a learning curve.

VU Sponsors