Become a Patron!

Tesla's 18650 Lifetime cycle count

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The often quoted typical lifespan of a single 18650 cell is 300-500 full cyles. How does Tesla get their car batteries, wich are essencially 18650 cells, so far above that? Some sites claim 2-3k full cycles. I want those 18650's!

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The often quoted typical lifespan of a single 18650 cell is 300-500 full cyles. How does Tesla get their car batteries, wich are essencially 18650 cells, so far above that? Some sites claim 2-3k full cycles. I want those 18650's!
a life cycle of a single cell would be about 300-400 cycles now when you make that cell both in parallel with others and series with some others you in crease both its overall capacity but you also share the charge/ discharge cycle Telsa claims it to have a million mile battery but still suggest a full replacement every 5 years if i recall correctly.

also take into account how they are charged. at a much higher amperage with lower voltage i suspect

also please consider that this new tesla battery maybe a exclusive to tesla and that it may not have the standard safety feature or chemistry for a consumer battery for are vape use. it could even be marketing hype but if true one day it could possibly make into consumer 18650's but that is most like 5-20 years away unless your elon musk and make it sooner. https://electrek.co/2019/09/07/tesla-battery-cell-last-1-million-miles-robot-taxis/

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
link please?

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Telsa claims it to have a million mile battery but still suggest a full replacement every 5 years if i recall correctly.

A tesla battery sled holds over 7,000 batteries.
Even if they were as cheap as $3, nobody's gonna do that. Plus I think you have to remove the entire body from the sled to get to em.

VU Sponsors