Become a Patron!

Tfr2 coil help

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright guys, just joined this site. I started vaping around a month ago. So I am new to all of this.
I have a reuleaux 200s, with a tfv4 tank. I use a tfr2 coil, 70/30 (vg/pg) 12mg melon juice. I am using the stock SS coil that comes on the tfr2.
In the mornings I get dry hits, I can't vape over 30w.
Just curious if anyone has any advice for me. The more enjoyable this thing becomes the more likely I am going to quit cigarettes
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

faeker1

Member For 4 Years
you have to break in the tf coils pretty good before vaping normal on them. start low and slowly ramp up the wattage. starting at the suggested wattage will burn out coils fast and taste burnt.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Does it say what the ohms of the SS coil are for the tank?...Im also surprised you can vape 12mg of nic in such a tank without feeling sick...Usually any sub ohm type or low ohm RTA/RDA build sends a pretty good percentage of that nic to your system...Most find 3mg to 6mg to be more than enough nic on those style of tanks...Maybe just a personal preference but, just letting you know.

If you've already gotten a true dry hit I would replace the coil..The cotton probably has a slight burn mark on it which the taste of that wont really go away..try a new coil..be sure to prime it properly and once the tank is filled let it sit for about 10 minutes or so to be sure its wicked well enough to use...If you get dry hits almost immediately it could be the wattage to high for the coil (depending on its ohms)..so that's why I ask if you know what the ohms are for the coil you are using.

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well. I smoke a pack of camels a day. So I consume a ton of nicotine. That is what basically everyone says. I don't think most people that vape every smoke cigarettes for a long time.
Anyways. .25 ohms
I have gotten a truly burnt hit. When I first tried TC mode it was horrible.
The taste will come and go. Usually when it tastes slightly burnt, I lower the wattage from 26w down to 20-22w.

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I watched a YouTube video for proper wicking. I think I have that down after a few tries. I have been priming the coils randomly throughout the day because I chain vape slightly.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
.25 ohms and 30 watts just isnt a good marriage together...Its not really enough power to get the flavor possible from the coil...What you need is a higher ohm coil and less power..30 to 35 watts is about the upper end power wise for say a .50 ohm coil....I would recommend somewhere around .75 to 1.0 ohm coil and try the 15 to 20 watt ranges...The vape will be so much better at the lower wattage and more in the range of where12mg nic would fall into place...considering this ohm is more adequate where you vape at power wise the flavor should increase in general as the coil will get hot enough to release it without the vape being too much for you...Are you using the single coil RBA deck for the TF4?

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual coil. Could you recommend a coil for me?
Sort of doesn't make sense to me, because when I try to vape 50+watts, it burns almost instantly.
I have learned that you can't just pick these things up and vape away. So if I can't vape over 50w, I am doing something wrong.

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also dont really want to vape at higher power levels. I assume it drains the battery more, and it's pretty nice not having to charge or change batteries everyday.
But I will take whenever info I can get.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dual coil. Could you recommend a coil for me?
Sort of doesn't make sense to me, because when I try to vape 50+watts, it burns almost instantly.
I have learned that you can't just pick these things up and vape away. So if I can't vape over 50w, I am doing something wrong.

I would recommend a smok coil if you are using pre built screw in type replaceable coils but at the highest ohms they offer..Im not sure what that is to be honest but at minimum a .50 ohm coil if they offer them...They sell an RBA deck that replaces the screw in coils but this requires you build coils for it and install them yourself..Something of a small investment to get started in but well worth the move in the long run.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
http://www.discountvapers.com/smoktech-tfr2-rba-dual-coil/
This is the coil I use. If that's what you were referring to when you said you hadn't heard of it.

That is a rebuildable deck so your one step ahead to finding your vape....Its possible you are wicking it improperly and its not wicking up as you mentioned...ALL of my tanks I can pick up at any time even if its been sitting for a week and take a vape without a dry hit..What I recommend is searching "how to wick the TFV4" on youtube and see what those people are doing to get an idea in the right direction...As far as coils when using dual coils its the ohms of one coil split in half..For example if you want a .50 ohm dual coil set up you need two 1.0 ohm coils to achieve this..So to get 1 ohm you need two 2 ohm coils etc...You can find pre built coils fairly cheap or make them yourself with a few basic tools and some wire.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you want to use even less power and use less juice consumption, Smok sells a single coil RBA deck..Its the TF-R1 deck..you might find that easier to work with and get closer to the vape style youre after but wicking properly still applies no matter if its dual or single coil.

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I followed this tutorial and got better results. Before when wicking is would leak. Not dry as a bone.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hes pretty much got it down correctly...Leaks would be from not enough cotton in the slots but dry hits can come from too much or too tight inside the coil itself...Keep playing with it, youll get it right.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't tried it on the TFV4 per say but ive been buying and trying out single coil RTA's lately and its really a breath of fresh air with flavor and acceptable clouds but consuming much less power and juice..I have the Geek Vape Ammit, Kayfun V5, Taifun GT3 and Wotofo serpent on order and so far ive tried the Oumier White Bone mini, OBS T-VTC with the single coil rba deck and the Joyetech delta 2 with the single coil RTA deck and im liking it so far..Right now the White Bone is taking top shelf for flavor and air flow but well see how the others do once I get them...I think youll like it overall on the TFV4..Youll have more space for air flow which should increase flavor for you as well as use less power and juice.

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wasn't aware this shit was this complicated. Literally have been to 6 vape shops. Every person thinks I'm retarded and won't help. Like vaping 12mg 70/30 is sacrilegious or something.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wasn't aware this shit was this complicated. Literally have been to 6 vape shops. Every person thinks I'm retarded and won't help. Like vaping 12mg 70/30 is sacrilegious or something.
I started with 24mg but that was in a clearomizer tank like the old kanger evod..ended up down to 12mg until I discovered dual coil and more than 10 watts...It just made me sick at 12..so I went to 3 and its been that way for the longest time..Now I discovered 50 watts plus on big 25mm dual coil tanks using big claptons and 3mg seems like too much in those type of tanks..Im considering trying 1.5mg for the big power tanks

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was doing 18 on a subvod Kanger tank. That was tastier than this bullshit.
If vaping was made to quit smoking, they are doing it wrong.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In all fairness the TFV4 is more of a higher power type tank..Some tanks like the kayfun V5 and taifun GT3 as well as a host of many other tanks are good for lower power and higher ohms to perform well for flavor....You would really be disappointed in a lot of tanks thinking they might work well at lower power levels and higher ohms.

Mega_suiter

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well. I already bought the tf-r1 and have this tank my friend gave to me. Don't feel like bleeding anymore money at the moment lol. Thank you for all of your advice.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On my newly acquired Oumier White bone, I have a single basic Clapton ohming out at .946 and im only needing 18 to 20 watts of power to get a very tasty vape with a surprising amount of clouds...Im expecting the Wotofo Serpent to beat this tank but I just don't know yet.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well. I already bought the tf-r1 and have this tank my friend gave to me. Don't feel like bleeding anymore money at the moment lol. Thank you for all of your advice.
I think it will make a difference in flavor for you as well as using less juice and battery power throughout the day..let me know how it turns out for you...When you get it all set up shoot me a PM and ill send you some home made Clapton coils to help you flavor wise.

VU Sponsors