Become a Patron!

TFV8 Issues- Any help appreciated

My mod is a Wotofo Sentorian Chieftain 220W Box mod
About ~2 Months old - Along with the TFV8

Basically what happend is it started to short out in wattage mode (i'm assuming because the ohms are jumping to 0.30-0.45 + ) When i switch to Ni/Ti in TC the ohms drop down to 0.25 (Normal) and it fires and produces a decent amount of vapor but not quite as much as 100+ Watts

It went about a week without shorting once but started jumping ohms again and shorting out this morning.
I've changed coils twice now so i'm pretty sure its the mod itself thats having the issues and not tank related but i'm not 100% sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also I was running the TFV8 on my CoolFire4+ the ohms were reading a tad bit higher than usual but it was preforming fine. (For 70w)

Any suggestions/idea would be much appreciated

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod may be giving you live resistance reading in power mode and resistance rises as the wire heats up.
A short would be 0.000 ohms or error message so rising resistance does not indicate a short.

You are using a kanthal wire coil in Ni mode or Ti mode? It shouldn't work at all with a kanthal coil but yeah, TC mode locks in the resistance and you probably aren't seeing a live resistance change on the screen.

Just to note, never use Ni coil in power mode. Only use Ni wire in Ni TC mode.

What resistance does the coil say it is and what resistance do you see on the mod after it's sat for a good 5 minutes to allow the coil to room temperature when in power or watt mode? Should be very close to what the coil says it is, they are not always exact like a 0.25 ohm coil could read 0.28 or 0.23 or 0.25.

Yea the stock Smok coils are Kanthal and they're working in Ni/Ti TC no idea why.

I've got my TFV8 sitting on my CF4 and it's reading at 0.32 (Anytime ive used it on the coolfire it's been a bit higher) and it's stock rating is .20 (maybe 0.25)
I've also got my iSub Apex which i originally bought with my CF4 sitting on my Chieftain and it's working (lol?) reading .67 on a .50 coil

Color me confused.

Thanks for your reply though.
Hope to hear any ideas you have.

Last edited:
Threw the TFV8 back onto the box mod and it reads at 0.49 and displays a 'short' message after firing for half a second.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something must be wrong with the coil, have you tried another one? Or the coils not fully seated on the base?

Ni and Ti are two different modes, I don't think I've seen a mod that can do both wires in the same mode since the TCR values are different. Maybe that mod doesn't truly do TC... it wouldn't be the first. A mod in temp mode with a kanthal coil will kick you out back to watt mode and continue firing or it will stay in temp mode and give you an error.

The resistance shouldn't be that far off if you are checking it at room temp. If you're looking at it after you took a hit, yeah, it will not be what it's rated at. It will be a lot higher.
Best way to know is room temp coil on a resistance meter or multi meter or at least room temp coil on your mod.
If the resistance is that far off at room temp then somethings wrong with the coil... or checking it when it's hot.

Last edited:

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bad coil, or coil not seated. You need to tighten those coils really tight...

I've tried two different coils, both had the same issue.
I'm positive its seated correctly and they're on there about as hard as i can twist them.

The TFV8 Is working on my Coolfire4 without any issue.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure everything in the atomizer and the mod is screwed down snug and nice and tight. This is usually my problem whenever I have ohms jumping around. When using a rebuildable, tightening down the leads in the post holes is another quick fix to jumping ohms. But since you are using stock coils, just make sure the coil is screwed down snug, and that everything else in the tank is screwed together snugly. Good luck, CHEERS!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
sounds like an issue with the mod. since the coils worked on your coolfire fine you can rule out the atty. that just leaves the mod. If the resistance is jumping it's likely an issue internally on the mod.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
me thinks center pin insulation melted or some other point is adding to or detracting to the 510 connection could not hurt to clean it really good and look.

VU Sponsors