Become a Patron!

The Atheists Thread...A place for Logical, Rational and Scientific thinking with facts

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I respect your opinion, and your right to freely express it. In one of the links I previously provided, the authors opinion was that life began at fertilization (in their opinion). I can see that argument. I can also see the argument about viability outside the womb as a starting point for life.

It IS a complicated issue, and prone to evoke strong reactions from all sides.

As far as embryonic stem cells, what we hear in the popular press isn't quite the same as what the scientific results are. Interestingly, ES cells can pretty easily become cancerous (tumorous). Induced pluripotent stem cells show great promise, and are devoid of all the moral controversies surrounding embryo destruction.

About cloning, there are two movies that address human cloning for spare parts that come immediately to mind. One is "The Island", and the other is "Never Let Me Go".

So, if I had my own lab, and sufficient skills, would it be OK for me to clone myself, and harvest the spare parts? What if my clone was sentient? What if it wasn't?

Interesting things to think about....

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh, BTW, I really liked your description of the "greatest good" vs "person centric". I used to belong to ABATE which is an anti-helmet law motorcycle organization. I feel that helmet laws should be repealed, although I would NEVER ride without a helmet....

:D

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The priest is innocent and the locals seem to think he's a joke and are getting some entertainment out of it but those people in jail could find themselves in harm.
Ok, so the ones out in the sticks that are stuck in the dark ages you can understand their belief. But for the government to also share the same school of thought is crazy.

But you are always putting yourself at risk when you leave your country (and somewhat reasonable laws) and go to a 3rd world location.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors