Become a Patron!

The coil. What is a coil. Why is it a coil?

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So how bout a complete understanding of the coil?

Why is it a coil? What purpose does being a coil serve?

Wikipedia seemed limited.

Looking for a "complete" understanding here.

And go!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just read all your past posts....are you Trolling or trying to have some fun?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I just read all your past posts....are you Trolling or trying to have some fun?

I just did a very basic google search: "Vaping Coils 101" and clicked on the first five or six links and listed the best 3.
There was no way in hell I was going to try to answer the question myself or I would have been typing for like 8 hours.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just did a very basic google search: "Vaping Coils 101" and clicked on the first five or six links and listed the best 3.
There was no way in hell I was going to try to answer the question myself or I would have been typing for like 8 hours.
Hahaha

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No I'm definantly not trolling?

I've just asked a couple of questions I feel informative answers could Benifit others seeking answers here (vaping underground)?

So I needed to search "vape coil 101"? I would not have guessed 101? What does that even mean?

It's a start but it does sub contract something vaping underground could offer. Not intended as trolling for those sensitive vaperz here. Lol

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
101 is the entry level of a class in the American college system.
like English 101 is the first English course you get credits for.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would say, take a look at most space heaters. Those things are coils. Then, read up on "Electricity 101".

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So how bout a complete understanding of the coil?

Why is it a coil? What purpose does being a coil serve?

Wikipedia seemed limited.

Looking for a "complete" understanding here.

And go!
Just because.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
If the question is why it's a coil vs another shape,then the answer is space efficiency. If you look at heating elements in general most often it's a coil, a flat pattern in either a spiral or back and forth pattern (radiator) covering the area or a back and forth pattern front to back in a cylindrical form. It doesn't have to be,it's just the most effective use of space vs heating surface. In terms of vaping the coil makes sense from a wicking stand point. If you where instead trying to rapidly heat the juice in the tank then a single or double u shape sticking in the tank would probably be more efficient. There are of course other variables involved in hearing element design, but that's the basic jist of it.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
No I'm definantly not trolling?

I've just asked a couple of questions I feel informative answers could Benifit others seeking answers here (vaping underground)?

So I needed to search "vape coil 101"? I would not have guessed 101? What does that even mean?

It's a start but it does sub contract something vaping underground could offer. Not intended as trolling for those sensitive vaperz here. Lol

This 101 should be able to help with your many questions: http://psych.fullerton.edu/mbirnbaum/psych101/Eliza.htm

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Cormic!

I'm led to believe that a curve in the element more efishantly distributes the heat generated by the electrical current. An apex or sharp bend in the element would cause the current to smash into itself causing immense stress on that point in witch case would weaken the element at that point?

So a smooth coil type element can heat for prolonged periods of time and suffer minimal degradation.

I'm still learning but.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
I can't speak to the electrical part with any authority. But mechanically, sharp edges are stress risers. Thermal or mechanical fractures will form there much easier than if it's a smooth radius. Think of it like a piece of paper. It's much easier to tear it on the edge than pull it apart from the center. In terms of vaping, 3xx series stainless,kanthal and ni-crome don't harden. That alleviates some of that issue. The harder a material the easier it is to crack.

Before the trolls come out yelling about how SS 316 hardens, I mean this in the metallurgical sense. 3xx stainless is a non hardening alloy. It gets harder but not what most people that work with metal consider hard.

As far as it being a coil it's a design choice as much as anything. A good choice for the design problem but not the only solution. If you look around you find a couple other solutions. Two heating bars that wick lays between, and SS mesh in various configurations(including coils) are some off the top of my head.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is this a real thread? o_O

giphy.gif

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As far as it being a coil it's a design choice as much as anything. A good choice for the design problem but not the only solution. If you look around you find a couple other solutions. Two heating bars that wick lays between, and SS mesh in various configurations(including coils) are some off the top of my head.

I'm certainly no metallurgist, but my thought on the "coil" form factor is that any given metal has its own innate resistance level.. which can be increased by the number of coils you put it into -- the coil formation is really ideal for that purpose, since increasing the number of wraps increases the resistance, no matter the metal.

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Just wrap the fucking things, stick them in the posts, then screw em' down and go.
Why all the technical bullshit.
It needs to be a coil shape because the cotton needs to go through the center.

.... That's all folks

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just wrap the fucking things, stick them in the posts, then screw em' down and go.

.... That's all folks

Doesn't need to be a coil, though. I've seen some people using stainless steel mesh instead of a coil. :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

.... That's all folks

To be fair if your in a pinch whilst camping can always just use em to cook the food as well :)

3a8b3bfae750ef7c030c6d0f0124dffc.jpg

On a serious note OP it's easier to wick through the centre and use a screwdriver (or something) to wrap the coil around, most stick to this as it's easy and if it ain't broke don't fix it, nets you consistent results every time, doesnt stress the metal or create weak points

...unless you are building a stovetop or verticle coil with wicking on the outside but it's more of a chore to do though so most don't bother

VU Sponsors