Become a Patron!

The Daily Mowing and Lawn Lyfe Thread

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Waiting for it to dry off a bit before I get started. Forecast shows showers until Noon or so which might mean a real later start. Up late watching Ozark last night because I knew the forecast.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Storms all weekend here so I called of my weekend side work. Had to work 3rd last night sweeping parking lots as well as day shift yesterday. So I'm kinda glad I can rest.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bought a new Mower a couple of years ago and not sure if it is the design or the finish on it but never have a problem with clumping do to wet grass. I have cut in the rain before.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh yea I usually just take off the new growth and leaves bushes more natural looking. Owner of the funeral home I was at wanted a drastic cuttig. Said if they die I can replace them on the fall. Job security. Lol

*LOL* At least there's that.

Kind of reminds me of a little boy asking a Paw paw as they ran about a mile of fence for a neighbor.

"What if we mess up and the cows still get through?" There were a few awkward minutes of silence, a deep sigh.

"That means we need to come back and have more work. You better not mess up though. I'm not teaching you that way of job security."

Later on in life I met with a guy that did so little in a bit of work if I could have, I'd have laughed. Asked him one day why he did such a half assed bit doing the work.

"They told me to do the best I could for what I'm paid. So, for what I'm paid I do the best I think I can," he told me. I shook my head and walked off from him. Had to go work twice as hard simply to make up his slack. The shame of it I thought, ... was not that he did not know how, or could not do. It was that he chose not to do. Didn't mind the extra time on my check but would have been a lot nicer had everyone been aboard as a team, and the extra time was simply because there was more work to do.

As it was, I wound up leaving that super market job. The guy who was managing three of the chain's stores looked me in the eye and explained he was not able to pay more than $7.50 hrly, even if I earned it. They had me doing stock-man, bagging, customer service (being lead to go for CSM customer service manager), lot guy, handler of dairy and part time produce. ... "Look at the end of two years you'll be what is listed in Labor's book as 'grocer', that'll put you up for store manager," was the somewhat unbelievable explanation.

"Ge sure, get your job where I have to tell a guy my hands are tied and I can pay only $0.25 above minimum. Then, deal with assholes that just don't want to work at all but you got to pay them extra. Nice offer but no thanks," I told him.

He nodded. "You're right on. That's it in a nutshell. After store manager you get district *sigh* you have to do it at three to six stores. After that well then you go corporate to division manager, take a state or few. Pay sucks bad, job sucks worse, licking ass to move an inch ahead worst of all."

"Yep, the American Dream at work for you, huh," I said and walked out. Knew that as a district manager he had an at least okay benefits package. Then, the company started having all employees except corporation's inner circle pay for insurance. Yeah, really nice bunch.

So, I found the poultry plant again. Base pay $10.50 hrly, $0.25 night shift differential, work in live hang $1 per hr bonus, do load out $1 hr bonus, full medical after 90, reviews ever 90 and automatic bump ups of $0.50 to $0.75 hrly. for raises after each review. If you didn't get two raises you were signaled to start looking elsewhere. You ought to have "the work" in 6 months, if not well it wasn't because you weren't trained. After 1 yr you got "line lead" position, another 6 months you made dept. supervisor for that shift. Each step up had bonus pay but at supervisor you got given salaried contract. You had to take X pay per month no matter if you pulled 90 hrs a week or 2, no matter they guy just starting could make twice as much on straight time.

My point being to me it seems the work will be the work. There's no fault in the work, just that the system of advancing becomes stagnate to pointless. You get so far along then, you get penalized for working too well, or you're not granted further incentive to do better or to think you can do better. You get the "roadblock". "Who do you think you are, the owner of the company? Who are you to say if we tried this way it'd be more efficient, could curb water use, pollution?" "No, I'm nobody, you're right. Guess a nobody can look elsewhere." "No point bothering, it's all the same." Or you're told to take it up with stock holders, which is the same basic "you think you own this?"

So either stay with a broken back and spirit or well, here's me house hubby, mental & emotional breakdown gone through, keeping busy otherwise trying to find useful hobbies. Trying to hold to hope and some sense that somehow there's better, either is or is coming. Feeling gut like that I'm lying to myself and left still the more empty. Tsk, oh well. What do you do?

Tell ya what I'm doing. I'm running for the woods. Can make a home there. Know the critters and that they're honest. Can see the tie types from miles off, fade into the background and let them pass or pop them off and make the vanish. Either way at least it's less to handle, and at least like the critters, I'm honest. Be plenty of signs hung about too. "No Trespass", "Private Land", "Free Roaming Wolf Packs", "If you can read this the owner's .50 caliber has you in range", "Post No Bill", "Solicit Not", "Unsafe For All Religions" will be scattered along lines.

Folks ignore those well, the peril clause is effective legal cause and holds in court. I might do pottery, maybe brew shine, set up hydro gardening for mad money/barter. Will be out and away from what passes as life, making, defining our own. To Hell with being called trouble when you know aren't. The company's all say "we accept employee suggestion on how to improve". Sure, right they accept them in boxes that hold twenty to thirty years of suggestions, never seen. But you're trouble for speaking up, offering ways to improve. ... Bah. I need to write more but not this shit. Irks and saddens.

Also got to sweep & mop galley, take a minute to do oh so much of the dishes piled up. *lol*

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So as soon as I finished up the sun came out and it is a warm sunny afternoon now. But I wasn't starting at 3PM so I worked in the rain because it wasn't raining too hard. Got a little damp but not soaked.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bought a new Mower a couple of years ago and not sure if it is the design or the finish on it but never have a problem with clumping do to wet grass. I have cut in the rain before.

Hm, might be one of those coated under decks. Knew a fella that swore by PAM cook spray on under decks. Said it kept it from clumping or sticking to the deck. Never got around to trying it, wouldn't know. Usually just scraped it out when finished each mowing.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I washed the bottom out with the hose before I put it away. Will dry and flake off but easier when not dried and hard.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was just walking around admiring how nice the lawns look, although I have some bare spots in the back I seeded again today they are looking good. Buying the thatcher was the best investment I ever made for lawn and garden tools. Paid for itself in 2 years instead of renting one.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't started my mower for months. Might need some of this, if it is difficult:

9cf476e00a1b17daf56e8c835b289bbc.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Haven't started my mower for months. Might need some of this, if it is difficult:

When I was starting my Weed Wacker yesterday it didn't want to start and I was about to grab the can of starting fluid when I saw I hit the switch and it was in the OFF position. I had a few choice words for that bonehead maneuver.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

9cf476e00a1b17daf56e8c835b289bbc.jpg

Pfft, stick with it.

Surg+-+Ether+Can.png

Recall once on a farm the "Boss" had us fill in a butt crack tween two hills, "bring those old gray 55 gal drums in on pallets, drop 'em in here. Then, pile in all the brush round it, lob on them old tires to mash it all down. If'n you use any chain for any o' it be sure ye get it out."

Got it all done that day, and the rest of the work. "Boss" come found us waiting. He pitched in a tightly balled up handful of old greasy shop rags after the brush got kerosene sprayed. We all stood up yon on the hills for a bit. No warning loud assed thunking boom ... 55 gallon barrel straight airborn ... us running round trying to guess and dodge it, more thunks!

"Boss what the Hell?"

"Oh, those drums all were full of ether. Might have needed to mention that, huh?"

We had one hell of a crazy night. Got told we didn't go until we counted whatever the number of them was. Had to be on site so the Fire Marshall wouldn't bust "Boss" with big fine. Ended up having a party, "Boss" didn't care as long as we kept halfway sane. Got paid a nice purse for that night, better than one of the other hands but we didn't discuss it. My mate who worked for that "Boss" knew I'd get better pay as I had the fireman training, "Boss" needed someone there.

Last edited:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finished mowing the rest of the yard that I didn't get to mow the other day. I also gave it a feeding of Milorganite. :) My cats hate the smell and always freak out.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
finally quit raining a while ago for a day or so. So they say.
It is growing like weeds... umm well a lot of weeds in it but green weeds :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hm, might be one of those coated under decks. Knew a fella that swore by PAM cook spray on under decks. Said it kept it from clumping or sticking to the deck. Never got around to trying it, wouldn't know. Usually just scraped it out when finished each mowing.

LOL on the PAM. Used to belong to an online lawnmower and tractor group.
Too many anal lawnmower maintenance types on there.
Mine gets washed out a few times a year and then if it is lucky every couple of years flipped and a good pressure wash and a couple of coats of Rustoleum which cures hard a nails by spring.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I priced " lawn tractors " at Home Depot recently - :eek:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If all you are going to do is mow a Troy built 42" is all ya need.
At $1,200 or there abouts.
heck I paid $369 for a self propelled walk behind mower.
And already broke the "go" handle thingy. $25 for a new one.... Darned plastic parts....

Be warned though they will not cut lava rock very well :)

also most riding mowers are now marketed as lawn tractors.
To me they must be able to pull a good load and do things besides mow to be a lawn tractor.
A weight of 500 lbs or over is an indication of a possible lawn tractor.

Why not spend a few grand for a zero turn. All the rage here among the lawn elite.
Pretty much suck on slopes though and will jar yer brainz out.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If all you are going to do is mow a Troy built 42" is all ya need.
At $1,200 or there abouts.
heck I paid $369 for a self propelled walk behind mower.
And already broke the "go" handle thingy. $25 for a new one.... Darned plastic parts....

Be warned though they will not cut lava rock very well :)

also most riding mowers are now marketed as lawn tractors.
To me they must be able to pull a good load and do things besides mow to be a lawn tractor.
A weight of 500 lbs or over is an indication of a possible lawn tractor.

Why not spend a few grand for a zero turn. All the rage here among the lawn elite.
Pretty much suck on slopes though and will jar yer brainz out.

Hahha we have slopes though and don't need help jaring the old noggin

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

There were times that if I could have turned one of my cats loose on an 80 degree inclined hill with a weed eater, I would have gladly sat back and charged tickets to cover fuel. :) As it was I had walk up and around the hill in the manner of a drunken billy goat. Part of the time I thought it was going to reach out and kiss me, another part I swore it shifted angles under foot so as to be a sliding board.

I was the only one what bothered on that hill too. Her granddad did until he gave me the "nod". I had seen his "deer run" trail so knew where footholds were, so then it was up to me because well he was the "old man" and the "bucks" do for them. All the while I kept saying he was the one clearing it off. That held until he had a stroke. At which point I still said it even if it was unbelieved.

Rough seeing a man go from doing long division in angles, rotation of the earth, wind-age and building a wood framed wash house that had stood fifty years and likely stand another two hundred no matter what come naturally into ... a man what had to say "well shit, I'll have to tell you tomorrow" to simple questions such as where he sat his boot that evening. The words were in there but he couldn't put them together, give them voice, sort out the answer much less bother trying basic long division in his head. He used to be so accurate and quick like that. Yeah, I say un-fuck strokes, not worth a fuck for anyone.

Will admit, the chink in my armor, the one fear ... facing having a major stroke. Had a minor one once already. Didn't realize that was what had happened until told later. Never want to look out with eyes like I've seen in a few granddads. Nothing but pure terror behind them. All a fella could do was fake "knowing what they wanted" and just pretending it would all sort out, at least give some grace, dignity. Such is why I cannot "push" myself any more. Oh I can to a point still but if I got to stop, I got to stop.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mowed most of my lawn yesterday afternoon.\
Off in a few to mow the wifes friends yard that I got volunteered to mow.
Supposed to be 85 today and I have to use a walk behind due to her narrow gate....
Cooler full of Mt Dew and a folding chair for resting a few times in the shade.
Few days of rain starting tonight I think...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got back from mowing/trimming the wifes friends yard...
Pretty much whipped now. Not able to do much else for the rest of this day...

Last time she tried to give me 2 witch Hazel bushes.
told her I did not want more things to mow around at this point in my life.
Guess what she has 2 witch hazel bushes in 2 places in the middle of her yard.

The universe hates me :cry:

No good deed goes unpunished....

should have taken the bushes when first offered them and thrown them over the hillside on the way home. Or just have 'forgotten' them in the blazer and let them cook. I would have gotten in less trouble over that ;)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes, ...

Just 'cos!

Other times well, ...

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another reason why I only spot spray with broadleaf killer in my lawn.
This was about 3 weeks ago, now it looks like a good grass lawn. Happens every spring.
SAM_0287.JPG

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that knocking noise concerns me.
Blade loose?
OHV Briggs engine?
Pull sparkplug and see if wet with gas after attempted start.
If not wet put wire back on plug and put flug base against muffler or other metal and have someone watch for spark while pulling rope.

Or just have your wife hold sparkplug wire while pulling rope if you like sleeping in the garage.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure. It is a rover mower. Got it last year, but hasn't been started in 5 months.
Maybe bad gas. dump the gas and replace with fresh gas.

the spark will be tiny and brief need to shade the plug to see it

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you post a link to a place that sells your mower. With you model?
I can prolly find out more about it that way.

I suspect bad gas.
ONe quick fix is to remove air cleaner and have someone hold a folded rag snugly over the air intake behind the air cleaner element while someone else pulls the rope.
If it starts hitting remove the rag.
And please WATCH YOUR TOES for whomever is holding the rag.

The added suction generated by blocking the intake will often suck gas dregs plugging the carburetor thru and allow things to start working again.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
kinda moist and blackened

not sure, but it started second pull, after a wipe and fine sand :)
Prolly asw a bit of gas goop in the carb caused a bit of improper gas mix.
As long as it runs go for it.
No use at all to change spark plugs annually.
Have used the same plug for 10 years or so in a small engine.
They seldom actually go bad. clean and or dry off and generally good to go.

Now get out and do some yard sweat :D

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have to adjust the carb a bit on my weedeater.
Have to fuss with it for 15 min or so before it runs reliably.
They adjust them so lean now when you get them.
I got a set of small engine carb jet screwdriver thingys that fit the strange knurled heads and such on chainsaws, weedeaters, etc.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
kinda moist and blackened

Black would mean it is running rich might check into if it is still under warranty. Most new engines do not allow for adjusting the carburetor because they are plugged.

VU Sponsors