Become a Patron!

The Duke V1.7 or the IPV v2?? Need help with deciding my first box mod! NOOBIE

Hey everyone I am still getting used to the whole vaping thing but I have recently tried mechanical mods and really found what I was missing before. Before I was always using the provari witch is a lovely device for out and about but I have been trying new things latley and really want to expand my arsenal of vape gear lol. But seriously I have seen the Hana modz box mod and I love the idea of it but with all these new devices coming out vaping up to 50w+ I want to know what everyones opinion is on some of the other box mods out there capable of vaping around 50w. Some of the ones I have looked at are The Duke by Guss. This is an awesome looking mod but I don't know a whole lot about them. I really like the fact that you know who makes it and he does his own review he is in America, he does custom orders, and his price for The Duke is very reasonable at around $140. Also is the Green Leaf IPV V2 which I saw a youtube video on. This product hasn't released yet and there isn't alot of info about them. They loom sleek and somewhat thin posibly a nice portable or at least a good leave on the desk or something. Also they have the new touch to fire sensor or button I don't really care about that though (AS LONG AS IT VAPES HIW IT IS SPIDER TO I DONT CARE ABOUT THE OVER EBELISHMENTS why I'm leaning twords the duke) They are around $140 also on ebay but again are pre order only.

Anyways I'm curious what you think about The Duke v1.7 vs. IPV V2. Also what are some of your other favorite Box mods as of July 2014 capable of vaping 50w+?

Thanks everyone
Jamie

1truk

Member For 4 Years
I do not have experience with either of these but I will say this .. The Duke is a NON Regulated device meant for advanced users. Not saying you are not just that, however, it uses two 18650 batteries and is a very powerful device, but it is not forgiving. Just wanted to throw that out there. Now on the other hand I do have a Hana Mod clone, which is regulated and so far I love it. Yes, it's "only" 30 watts "lol" but that is plenty for me as I am not a cloud chaser. Nothing at all wrong with having more power and for some it is a necessity, however, if you are "still getting used to the whole vaping thing" then starting out with a 30W device is probably not a bad choice for you especially when you can get a great clone pretty cheap. Good luck on your quest and hope you find what you are looking for.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
And just to clarify, I am not trying to sell you on ANY device as there are lots of great choices and more coming out every day. I was merely trying to let you know that the Duke is non regulated BY DESIGN and meant for advanced users ... It is used and LOVED by many people more advanced than me.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I own two DNA 20 devices and truth be told I have only vaped over 15 watts one time. And that was due to something in my pocket pressing on the + button and I got a real shock when I went to have a puff!

Normally my top end is 12.5 watts with a KFL+

But that is not keeping me from stalking the mailchimp as my Hana DNA30 from Focalecigs is scheduled to be delivered today.

A 30 watt mod would most likely be enough to make any vaper happy with their head in the clouds.

But if you really desire a 50 watt mod, go for it but get a regulated device.

Thanks for the great advice after hearing what you guys had to say I think I am going to go with an sx350 device it is easily upgradable to 50 watts and that would be perfect for my vaping needs now and hopefully in the future. Also I love tinkering with things and after finding all the stuff I need to do it it is looking like it is a really easy build to make yourself if you know how to solder and have some basic knowledge of electronics. Already ordered the board and excited to get on a new project. Another option I have is the raptor chip I might order one of these too just to try some stuff out

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't the Duke have a 10A limit or 10A switch or something? If that is the case and it can only handle 10 amps then is safety really a concern? 1 AW IMR 18650 can handle that type of amperage. I'm not even close to an expert on electronics/electricity but I would think with the 30A+ batteries these days they wouldn't even break a sweat in a 10A limited mod.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't the Duke have a 10A limit or 10A switch or something? If that is the case and it can only handle 10 amps then is safety really a concern? 1 AW IMR 18650 can handle that type of amperage. I'm not even close to an expert on electronics/electricity but I would think with the 30A+ batteries these days they wouldn't even break a sweat in a 10A limited mod.

I think Goss originally designed it around AW IMRs and mentions them in his product description. Place one of those AW's in the IPV v2 (which can push 16A?) and THAT could be big trouble...just saying

VU Sponsors