Become a Patron!

The Duncan Hunter bill will ban Mechs.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
per Mooch this bill will ban vaping due to the battery safety standards contained within it.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That bill is designed to eliminate the tobacco label on vaping and ease regulations. Yes, it will implement standards but that is something much better than the current impending regulations.

What is it that will end vaping? The sponsor of the bill is pro vaping. What am I missing?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Link to his article/post? My google fu is weak and nothing coming up aside from Mooch mentioning the big companies need to start accurately rating batteries for safety with upcoming regulations.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Link to his article/post? My google fu is weak and nothing coming up aside from Mooch mentioning the big companies need to start accurately rating batteries for safety with upcoming regulations.
Per mooch on the DJLSB vapes live show I just watched on his channel.
Mooch, Dean the Vaping biker and Busardo was on with Daniel.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That bill is designed to eliminate the tobacco label on vaping and ease regulations. Yes, it will implement standards but that is something much better than the current impending regulations.

What is it that will end vaping? The sponsor of the bill is pro vaping. What am I missing?
Just pointing out what Mooch said of the bill regarding mechs.

youcantsee

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While that sucks I'd take getting rid of mechs rather than everything. It's a sacrifice and I think it's 100% worth it

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While that sucks I'd take getting rid of mechs rather than everything. It's a sacrifice and I think it's 100% worth it

Agreed.
Better to lose some of vaping vs virtually all of it.

Besides one does not need a mech to get off of cigs using vaping.
And most who like and use mechs have enough of them to last for the rest of their life.

I just hope it does not impact standard 18650 replaceable battery mods.
I think that the protections built into regulated mods will probably prevent that from happening.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mean, eliminating mech mods will be as effective as banning guns. Impossible
Like with some guns it will ban the sale and perhaps manufacturing of mechs.
Even if illegal to make will people still make them?
Of course people continue to do all sorts of illegal things.
But it will remove them from retail shelves.

NO law will COMPLETELY stop any action that is undesired by those in authority.
It is idiotic to think that it will.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like with some guns it will ban the sale and perhaps manufacturing of mechs.
Even if illegal to make will people still make them?
Of course people continue to do all sorts of illegal things.
But it will remove them from retail shelves.

NO law will COMPLETELY stop any action that is undesired by those in authority.
It is idiotic to think that it will.
I completely agree, just saying they are so easy to make it will be nearly impossible.

It will put some people out of business too though. Unless they adapt some minimally regulated mods instead.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I completely agree, just saying they are so easy to make it will be nearly impossible.

It will put some people out of business too though. Unless they adapt some minimally regulated mods instead.
Yep in the case of it's passage I would expect no pure mechs to be sold. But psuedo mechs with MOSFETs and LV and overcurrent protection, etc to still be sold.

However those blowing themselves up with home made mechs will not be able to sue anyone.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if you want Mec Mods we should probably get them now.. I have been collecting them for several years most of them are brand new. I prefer electronic mods and my Thought was if they broke what would I do that started my Mec collection.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
It's the irresponsible few who spoil it for the many as usual not taking care of batteries, building stupidly low resistences etc etc ... then government says enough is enough whether this is right or wrong I won't judge it on that alone unfortunately it's these stories that give vaping a bad name...

one thing that does bother me though is you'll see a lot more home made devices instead leading to more accidents it's not like they can ban the sale of the components unless of course they try to do that as well, but don't see how they can as they are used in lots of different consumer devices ...You'll end up seeing kits for sale to do everything yourself assembly the lot

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aww crap, that's right. I remember seeing the show advertised, should have written down a reminder since I missed it. I always forget about stuff like that. Maybe Mooch will do a write up on it and cover what he said for those of us who missed what he was driving at.

I want folks to be safe but don't want mechs banned or forced out even though they're not my go-to. To each their own, just as I don't want to be forced to go back to only having cigalikes as an only option doesn't mean I want mechs or cigalikes banned and only my stuff left alone.

Sometimes it would be nice if the government would just butt the hell out and instead of being a nanny just informed people or left it to the community to inform people. We can't all live in bubble wrap in a padded room saved from ourselves. People are always going to refuse to listen to reason and do stupid shit and injure themselves. People have been told not to run around edges of pools or do dumb stuff like jump off backwards yet they do and every year at least one darwin award winner slips, busts their ass or breaks their face on the side of the pool. Chalk it up to shit happens.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Aww crap, that's right. I remember seeing the show advertised, should have written down a reminder since I missed it. I always forget about stuff like that. Maybe Mooch will do a write up on it and cover what he said for those of us who missed what he was driving at.

I want folks to be safe but don't want mechs banned or forced out even though they're not my go-to. To each their own, just as I don't want to be forced to go back to only having cigalikes as an only option doesn't mean I want mechs or cigalikes banned and only my stuff left alone.

Sometimes it would be nice if the government would just butt the hell out and instead of being a nanny just informed people or left it to the community to inform people. We can't all live in bubble wrap in a padded room saved from ourselves. People are always going to refuse to listen to reason and do stupid shit and injure themselves. People have been told not to run around edges of pools or do dumb stuff like jump off backwards yet they do and every year at least one darwin award winner slips, busts their ass or breaks their face on the side of the pool. Chalk it up to shit happens.
Found it.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/science-of-stupid/video-gallery/

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would think it would be easy to get around anyway.
Just sell the tube separate from the topcap and the button?

BAM crew

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would think it would be easy to get around anyway.
Just sell the tube separate from the topcap and the button?

BAM crew
Looks like we're going to start buying flashlights with push button switches and a 510 connection for replaceable heads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Looks like we're going to start buying flashlights with push button switches and a 510 connection for replaceable heads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Exactly!
We will be right back where it started

BAM crew

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well the one thing I did not see mentioned here is that China does not care about our regulations. So there will still be plenty of Mech's for sale at 3fvape, gearbest, and fasttech. Not saying I like these places, but they will not stop selling this stuff. Some of the shipments may get stopped in customs, but most will make it thru. I still remember when my brother was buying 510 kits back years ago and they were trying to stop all the shipments from coming into the US. Funny thing is, his packaging was labeled electronic or some other generic label so they went right thru customs without a problem. China will find a way to get the stuff to us whether the US government likes it or not. All I can say is, I really want some Samsung 30T 21700 batteries and a 25mm mod to match them. Then I will be overjoyed and not need any more new mech mods!

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Smh, it's not the responsibility nor duty of government to protect an individual from themselves. If one chooses not to learn how to use a device properly then nature should be allowed to take it's course.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smh, it's not the responsibility nor duty of government to protect an individual from themselves. If one chooses not to learn how to use a device properly then nature should be allowed to take it's course.
Yep and why all the rush to get Overdose Kits out there for the Drug overdoses?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

That is unfair and a very divisive statement - it saves your ass but not mine :facepalm:

It's like the control freaks that want to ban all flavors except tobacco

Would you endorse that as a worthy sacrifice 100% worth it to save other types of vaping?

I highly doubt it

youcantsee

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is unfair and a very divisive statement - it saves your ass but not mine :facepalm:

It's like the control freaks that want to ban all flavors except tobacco

Would you endorse that as a worthy sacrifice 100% worth it to save other types of vaping?

I highly doubt it
That's not a good comparison. Flavors vs tobacco flavors, there is no evidence that one is worse than the other. Mechs are unregulated with a much greater room for user error. While I agree it's the users fault, with the banning of mechs we will have a drastic decrease in the headlines of exploding ecigs...at least hopefully

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My main thought is that the Duncan Hunter bill is being touted as pro vaping and vapers should support it.

In reality it is just a less bad bill than the FDA regs as they currently stand.

what this tells me is that vaping WILL be regulated. It is just a question of how much regulation or will it be basically wiped out in the USA?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That's not a good comparison. Flavors vs tobacco flavors, there is no evidence that one is worse than the other. Mechs are unregulated with a much greater room for user error. While I agree it's the users fault, with the banning of mechs we will have a drastic decrease in the headlines of exploding ecigs...at least hopefully

Wow. So you think compromising will stop them from cutting into what you like to vape - by throw me and other mech users under the bus

And, the do-gooders who want to ban flavors swear there is evidence that it is harmful to children (facts don't matter to these fucks)

youcantsee

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow. So you think compromising will stop them from cutting into what you like to vape - by throw me and other mech users under the bus

And, the do-gooders who want to ban flavors swear there is evidence that it is harmful to children (facts don't matter to these fucks)
Compromising? Of course it's compromising, now you choose. This bill or no bill. Then tell me what's better, I'm not throwing mech users under the bus, I used to be a loyal mech user. It's just a lesser of two evils. This bill or no bill

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Compromising? Of course it's compromising, now you choose. This bill or no bill. Then tell me what's better, I'm not throwing mech users under the bus, I used to be a loyal mech user. It's just a lesser of two evils. This bill or no bill

Easy. No bill or strike that verbiage out of it

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All the pending vaping bills do regulate vaping. Do we kill em all and just let the FDA Deeming regs kick in?

youcantsee

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Easy. No bill or strike that verbiage out of it
Wow, so now mech users are more important than the masses. So you're throwing regulated users under the bus....see where I'm going here? I'm done arguing over this with someone who can't see the other side as an equal

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
All the pending vaping bills do regulate vaping. Do we kill em all and just let the FDA Deeming regs kick in?

They are already being forced to drag their feet and deadlines extended over and over - the FDA is feeling the heat, so to speak

Wow, so now mech users are more important than the masses. So you're throwing regulated users under the bus....see where I'm going here? I'm done arguing over this with someone who can't see the other side as an equal

Just standing up for all users, regardless

How about instead of regulating mechs out of oblivion, mandating better packaging so that the end user gets better information on how to use the device safely - especially regarding batteries

Not all of these so called venting episodes have involved mechs

A number of them involved loose batteries in pockets coming into contact with other metals, for instance

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They are already being forced to drag their feet and deadlines extended over and over - the FDA is feeling the heat, so to speak

Just standing up for all users, regardless

How about instead of regulating mechs out of oblivion, mandating better packaging so that the end user gets better information on how to use the device safely - especially regarding batteries

Not all of these so called venting episodes have involved mechs

A number of them involved loose batteries in pockets coming into contact with other metals, for instance
Per Mooch in the link I posted up thread, there already exists a possible alternative solution to the safety risk problem associated with mech and unregulated... so IMHO it's not just about standing up for all users, but also about standing up for fairness to all of society also including those who don't vape simply because without people doing the right thing humanity can never survive.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
t's not just about standing up for all users, but also about standing up for fairness to all of society also including those who don't vape simply because without people doing the right thing humanity can never survive.

Gotta agree with that statement!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Per Mooch in the link I posted up thread, there already exists a possible alternative solution to the safety risk problem associated with mech and unregulated... so IMHO it's not just about standing up for all users, but also about standing up for fairness to all of society also including those who don't vape simply because without people doing the right thing humanity can never survive.
The regulated battery?
Yes but to use in current 18650 devices it would be pretty much an 18500 with electronic protection circuits.
And would still prevent the super low ohm users of mechs from vaping that way.
And is still on the development bench.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This bill would still keep mech user vaping in play. It would just limit how they get their mech devices. The current FDA plan is far worse. Life isn't always fair but sometimes you have to take what you can get and find a way to get the rest. Nothing is perfect.

To suggest throwing everyone under the bus because some might not like it is conducive to progress. We have to start somewhere or we will get nowhere.

That is just my perspective.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regulations are inevitable.
All we can do is try to make those regulations livable for Vapers present and future.

And the state regulations in many cases will be far worse than the federal regulations.
Actually they already are at this point in time.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The regulated battery?
Yes but to use in current 18650 devices it would be pretty much an 18500 with electronic protection circuits.
And would still prevent the super low ohm users of mechs from vaping that way.
And is still on the development bench.
A better suggestion IMO would be to provide an adapter piece that's similar to an extension accessory piece used to optionally convert a single battery tube mech to a dual battery tube mech so the protection circuit or mechanism/fuse sits between the firing pin and the battery, or to provide a whole new fire button piece that comes with a built-in adapter. Any and all existing mech mods that people have already paid for with their hard earned cash aren't all of a sudden going to fall off of the face of the earth... just remember the Volstead Act.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A better suggestion IMO would be to provide an adapter piece that's similar to an extension accessory piece used to optionally convert a single battery tube mech to a dual battery tube mech so the protection circuit or mechanism/fuse sits between the firing pin and the battery, or to provide a whole new fire button piece that comes with a built-in adapter. Any and all existing mech mods that people have already paid for with their hard earned cash aren't all of a sudden going to fall off of the face of the earth... just remember the Volstead Act.
Yes but all mods are not the same diameters and have different threads iin many/most cases.
And the $20 Hybrid style clones without a topcap?

I have no doubt that if the need arises mechs will be built with built in protections.
The 101 tube mod is an example.

The question arises about RDA's, RTA's and RBA though as they use a custom built coil. they may well fall under the battery safety section as well.
That would be the biggest blow to vaping in this bill if true.

And even if a protected mech is used who is to say that a 10 amp battery will not be used in a mod with a 30 amp 'fuse'?

No real clear answers...

The more thorough answer is protected batteries.
which have been around a while but only for lower current uses.

in conclusion I am not pro regulation I just see that it is futile to battle all of it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes but all mods are not the same diameters and have different threads iin many/most cases.
And the $20 Hybrid style clones without a topcap?

I have no doubt that if the need arises mechs will be built with built in protections.
The 101 tube mod is an example.

The question arises about RDA's, RTA's and RBA though as they use a custom built coil. they may well fall under the battery safety section as well.
That would be the biggest blow to vaping in this bill if true.

And even if a protected mech is used who is to say that a 10 amp battery will not be used in a mod with a 30 amp 'fuse'?

No real clear answers...

The more thorough answer is protected batteries.
which have been around a while but only for lower current uses.

in conclusion I am not pro regulation I just see that it is futile to battle all of it.
You can't just force people to give up their old habits. At least give them the option to protect themselves where possible, educate them, and hope for the best because like Mooch said there's not going to be much chance those unprotected 10 amp batteries will be banned anytime soon.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see a lot of posts on here talking about mech mods as if they are dangerous. Mech mods are just metal, by themselves they pose no danger. If people want to blow their faces off with low ohm builds and crappy batteries, I call that natural selection. With all the information readily available on the Internet, there is no excuse for ignorance. NONE!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mech mods are very dangerous when misused either thru intent or ignorance.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with both sides here. But as I said earlier we have to start somewhere. I am sure there will be a loophole or solution to the mech issue.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't personally use mech mods but I still say we shouldn't just turn over and allow them to stick it to us. Like someone said earlier in this thread it feels like the FDA is grasping at straws.
Plus if mechs did get banned it would totally be way worse because there'd be so many more people making unsafe devices. Imo

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't personally use mech mods but I still say we shouldn't just turn over and allow them to stick it to us. Like someone said earlier in this thread it feels like the FDA is grasping at straws.
Plus if mechs did get banned it would totally be way worse because there'd be so many more people making unsafe devices. Imo

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
There is little we can do. But atleast there is a bill to try and stop the heavy handed bs the FDA is currently trying to use.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it is theoretically possible to stop all the vaping regs by the FDA.
However I think that to expect that to happen is totally unreasonable.
I feel that efforts to mitigate the impact are our best bet.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it is theoretically possible to stop all the vaping regs by the FDA.
However I think that to expect that to happen is totally unreasonable.
I feel that efforts to mitigate the impact are our best bet.
Unfortunately that's the way of the world.

VU Sponsors