Become a Patron!

The Evolv DNA 40 Temperature Control chip do you think it was designed for e-juice or for Dry herb?

The Evolv DNA 40 Temperature Control chip do you think it was designed for e-juice or for Dry herb?

• Total voters

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Brewing 5ml batches of moonshine.

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years
If Evolv is making a lateral move into the dry herb game it's probably a good sign that the FDA is fixin' to fuck us like we've never been fucked before.

Be that as it may, I still see great application for temp limiting in e-juice atomizers, unlike a lot of you barbarians. ;)

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
What good it would do since it only goes to 40 watts that would equal a certain temp. A lot of vapers are using 100 to 200 watts which would not be hot enough for them, so this brings me back to why I think it was geared up for the herb user also.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Might of been the intentions of the creator to use in both markets for better sales. Now what is the purpose of temp control for ejuce vaping, we already know if it is too hot for you just lower your watts or volts. This chip still shows you the watts so a calculator of watts that equal the heat temp would show you your heat setting. Most vapers only see a new idea, wow temp control and they want it but really do not understand why they want it. Is it going to work any better then what you are using now to control heat, maybe you just like the idea of seeing the heat setting on the screen or just want it for other uses.

Last edited:

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it is nessesary, but no one else is doing it for the purpose of e-cigs. There is only so much you can do to control the power from a battery to a coil. Most of us have learned to adjust the power low then increase until you hit the desired result. I don't think it's a waste of tech. It will be interesting though to see at what temp e-liquids break down and cause unwanted chemical reactions. We might start to see recommended temp settings for certain flavors etc...only to find that they don't Vape well unless we exceed those temps. Only time will tell

Watch pbusardo's video where he talks with Brandon from evolv all about the DNA40(and 25). Not a single mention of dry herb is made. The goal is to allow users to maintain a temperature that is above the boiling point of eliquid but below the burning point of the wicking material.

Though, it might be possible to utilize this feature for dry herb vaporization, I don't think that was the original intention at all. Someone would need to build specialized dry herb atomizers with nickel heating coils in order to make use of the temperature control feature anyway.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Watch pbusardo's video where he talks with Brandon from evolv all about the DNA40(and 25). Not a single mention of dry herb is made. The goal is to allow users to maintain a temperature that is above the boiling point of eliquid but below the burning point of the wicking material.

Though, it might be possible to utilize this feature for dry herb vaporization, I don't think that was the original intention at all. Someone would need to build specialized dry herb atomizers with nickel heating coils in order to make use of the temperature control feature anyway.

Others have different views of what might of been the intentions of the creator or for dual use.
Remember this is Not 2010 anymore people are out there to make $$$ without caring about the future of this industry.

Others have different views of what might of been the intentions of the creator or for dual use.
Remember this is Not 2010 anymore people are out there to make $$$ without caring about the future of this industry.
So, basically you're assuming that evolv is lying? Conspiracy much?

If you'd watch the video, you'd understand that the temperature control isn't 100% accurate. The temperature reading is based off of calculations, specifically for nickel wire, that estimate the average temperature of legs of the coil.

Do you see anyone developing a 510 nickel wire-based convection herb atomizer anywhere? Not yet! If evolv's goal was the dry herb market, they'd be partnering up with someone deveoloping such an atomizer and we'd see a simultaneous release for it.

Further on down the line, I'm sure we'll see something come out of china that's tailored towards dry herb, but right now it's a pretty outrageous claim to say that evolv is designing features specifically for dry herb without any proof.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Might of been the intentions of the creator to use in both markets for better sales. Now what is the purpose of temp control for ejuce vaping, we already know if it is too hot for you just lower your watts or volts. This chip still shows you the watts so a calculator of watts that equal the heat temp would show you your heat setting. Most vapers only see a new idea, wow temp control and they want it but really do not understand why they want it. Is it going to work any better then what you are using now to control heat or you just like the idea of seeing the heat setting on the screen.
the purpose: get rid of gunky coils and juice degradation, and a more consistent vape. why are we having to ghetto rig temp control with watts and resistance when we can just go straight to the source? its going to work better & more accurate than using resistance and watts since we are going straight to the source in our measurements now, temperature. using watts and resistance isnt controlling temp, its controlling your power level going into the coil. temperature is more random when using only watts, dependent on coil size, amount of wick, amount of juice on coil, amount of airflow, type of wire. these are big improvements we could make in terms of consistency using temp control. can either embrace it or accuse evolv of having an ulterior motive i guess

one of the biggest holes the suits have their foot in is that supposed chemicals are being released past certain temperatures. so we fix that problem with dna40, but now we have to worry about dry herbs? so either way we lose is what it sounds like. id rather fix the health problem of releasing chemicals than worry about some dry herb red herring

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
So, basically you're assuming that evolv is lying? Conspiracy much?

If you'd watch the video, you'd understand that the temperature control isn't 100% accurate. The temperature reading is based off of calculations, specifically for nickel wire, that estimate the average temperature of legs of the coil.

Do you see anyone developing a 510 nickel wire-based convection herb atomizer anywhere? Not yet! If evolv's goal was the dry herb market, they'd be partnering up with someone deveoloping such an atomizer and we'd see a simultaneous release for it.

Further on down the line, I'm sure we'll see something come out of china that's tailored towards dry herb, but right now it's a pretty outrageous claim to say that evolv is designing features specifically for dry herb without any proof.
Not a Conspiracy or lying but just good strategy, and marketing for use in both markets to bring in $$$ even if one market fails. .

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years
When the thing is out it will be easy enough to test whether or not it's useful. Just set the power as you normally would and watch the screen. Any time the actual output is lower than your setting is time your coil would've been hotter than it should be, and vice-versa. If you hook it up to a scope you can tell precisely what percentage of time that is over a given toke.

It's entirely possible that some of you expert vapors are so good at your art that your coil is about as hot as it should be most of the time.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As an electronics engineer, I would much rather like to see a design that uses a separate thermocouple or IR temp sensor to measure temperature. Anything based on wire resistivity over temperature is likely to be... extremely inaccurate, to put it mildly.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As an electronics engineer, I would much rather like to see a design that uses a separate thermocouple or IR temp sensor to measure temperature. Anything based on wire resistivity over temperature is likely to be... extremely inaccurate, to put it mildly.
they said they got the accuracy down to +/- 10 degrees and im sure phil will go buy an IR camera to test it out for himself lol either way this is the first release of something like this, itll get better down the product line

Otto Dafe

Member For 4 Years

I would like to see Evolv release side-by-side comparisons of both. And with additional factors like gunky coil, old coil, extreme ambient temp, etc...

Not a Conspiracy or lying but just good strategy, and marketing for use in both markets to bring in $$$ even if one market fails. .
The fact that you choose to completely ignore Evolv's claims about the purpose of the temperature control feature and that you have zero evidence to support your claim is exactly why this is a conspiracy theory. I'm not convinced by your speculation. Temperature control doesn't immediately mean herbal vaporizer.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
The fact that you choose to completely ignore Evolv's claims about the purpose of the temperature control feature and that you have zero evidence to support your claim is exactly why this is a conspiracy theory. I'm not convinced by your speculation. Temperature control doesn't immediately mean herbal vaporizer.
Maybe but others have different opinions. Here is one I copied: I use Medicinal Cannabis and have been since I was 10 years young, this Temp Control isn't new at all and is strictly for controlling the Temp for BHO or other forms of Cannabis.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Are you personally going to buy one for vaping e-juice use, if so I would like to hear what you think about it after trying it out with e-juice.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe but others have different opinions. Here is one I copied: I use Medicinal Cannabis and have been since I was 10 years young, this Temp Control isn't new at all and is strictly for controlling the Temp for BHO or other forms of Cannabis.
of course temp control isnt new we have had ovens for a long time now, temperature control isnt "strictly" for anything except what its being made for. in the case of dna40, that is eliquid

I think Evolv is being straight forward as far as the intended goal of their temperature control. I wish they had chosen to go with a slightly higher wattage than 40 watts, but I will probably buy a board and some nickle 200 wire as soon as I can to try it out. As someone who has inadvertently inhaled a lung full of burning cotton, I kinda like the idea of being able to set a max temp below the burning point of my wick.

Just because you've been smoking weed since you were 10 doesn't mean you know anything about evolv's dna40 board or even the logistics of creating an electronic herbal vaporizer.

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the purpose: get rid of gunky coils and juice degradation, and a more consistent vape. why are we having to ghetto rig temp control with watts and resistance when we can just go straight to the source? its going to work better & more accurate than using resistance and watts since we are going straight to the source in our measurements now, temperature. using watts and resistance isnt controlling temp, its controlling your power level going into the coil. temperature is more random when using only watts, dependent on coil size, amount of wick, amount of juice on coil, amount of airflow, type of wire. these are big improvements we could make in terms of consistency using temp control. can either embrace it or accuse evolv of having an ulterior motive i guess
Exactly..... it's all about the quest for ones perfect vape and being able to set the thermostat to your best temp. for the juice your vaping instead of forever adjusting power, ohm's and wicks.
Favorite juice #1 vapes best at 250 degrees, favorite juice #2 vapes best at 375 degrees etc. Hit the button to best temp for that particular juice, power is automatically adjusted and vape.
When the weather changes outside I don't wanna check the OHM's and set the watts on my HVAC system to get my perfect temp. I just set the thermostat and bam!... comfort zone. Same idea.

Last edited:

KAS129

Member For 4 Years
After reading this whole thread, it seems to me that someone is trying to trash the reputation of Evolv. If you look back through Vapor Joe's posts, he was talking this up as the next great advancement in vaping. Seems to me somebody is butthurt that Evolv choose to announce this through Busardo instead of on Mod Envy. Now Joe's fanboy is thrashing Evolv by parroting everything Joe said after Evolv choose to announce their product elsewhere.
If you don't want to use a product, that is your right. It is not your right to trash a company with unsubstantiated accusations of illegal activities. If you have proof that Evolv designed this for that purpose then post it.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Exactly..... it's all about the quest for ones perfect vape and being able to set the thermostat to your best temp. for the juice your vaping instead of forever adjusting power, ohm's and wicks.
Favorite juice #1 vapes best at 250 degrees, favorite juice #2 vapes best at 375 degrees etc. Hit the button to best temp for that particular juice, power is automatically adjusted and vape.
When the weather changes outside I don't wanna check the OHM's and set the watts on my HVAC system to get my perfect temp. I just set the thermostat and bam!... comfort zone. Same idea.
After reading this whole thread, it seems to me that someone is trying to trash the reputation of Evolv. If you look back through Vapor Joe's posts, he was talking this up as the next great advancement in vaping. Seems to me somebody is butthurt that Evolv choose to announce this through Busardo instead of on Mod Envy. Now Joe's fanboy is thrashing Evolv by parroting everything Joe said after Evolv choose to announce their product elsewhere.
If you don't want to use a product, that is your right. It is not your right to trash a company with unsubstantiated accusations of illegal activities. If you have proof that Evolv designed this for that purpose then post it.
WOW! Trash a Co, Accusations, is YOUR words not ours, love how you make up shit that was Never said! This is Only a Survey Poll thread on what vapers think the chip can be used for. Joe has not even chimed in on this thread I started, and I seriously doubt he was butthurt over PB releasing the chip since Joe does not do videos.
10593140_541440102653804_3523804077105065036_n.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If someone truly had enough spare time to parrot someone who had nothing more important to do in his life than to be jealous of someone who's sole apparent job is to make internet videos talking about a completely nonessential rich man's hobby, well... as my grandfather said: "Meanwhile, poor children die of hunger in Africa"...

Do you realize the utter futility of it all? I refuse to believe that Joe or anybody else on this here board would stoop to that level of inanity.

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Regardless of Evolv's intentions which in my opinion is for vaping e-juice, I think this is an awesome move on their part in the sense that if and when Gov. starts banning electronic ecig gear they could simply market their device as the DNA 40 herbal vaporizer. If nothing else it creates a bit of a problem for big brother regulations.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
It is like we are in bizarro world.
Nicotine is the worst thing in the world but weed is cool???
I bet if you told someone this was going to happen 30 years ago they would have said you were nuts.
It's kind of shitty, now that I don't partake it becomes PC all of a sudden.

Last edited:

philfish8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll just throw in my 2 cents since I read down this far, I don't think that was evolvs idea in temperature control, but if it gets used for cannabis thats all for the better!

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe that evolv is trying to stay one step head in the vape game. They know Dr. Farsalinos is going to release a report on the effects of temperature degradation and e-liquid. When we see what temps e-liquid degrade at, I'm sure some will be surprised. Having a device that will control max coil temp will prove to be a winner. It could help our fight against the FDA by having a device powered by a chip that won't cause degradation to e-liquid.

Yihi is jumping on the temp control band wagon too. Their new SX350 V250 Chip

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dr. Farsalinos or not, I think temperature-controlled devices are the way forward. It makes a lot more sense than guesswork through voltage or power. I just don't think it's achievable reliably through direct resistance measurement - for one coil, let alone two that may be unbalanced. But I'll let Evolv prove me wrong :) Whatever their motive, it's a step in the right direction.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I believe that evolv is trying to stay one step head in the vape game. They know Dr. Farsalinos is going to release a report on the effects of temperature degradation and e-liquid. When we see what temps e-liquid degrade at, I'm sure some will be surprised. Having a device that will control max coil temp will prove to be a winner. It could help our fight against the FDA by having a device powered by a chip that won't cause degradation to e-liquid.
What good does this do for those who vape over 40 watts of temperature like 100 - 200 watts. If you stick with a normal coil ohm over 1.0 and above with staying below10 watts you do not have to worry about temp control for the liquid changing up.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@SMOKIE: any atomizer, even with a lowly eGo battery, is capable of burning juice if the user lets the wick run dry. That's precisely what every experienced dripper in the world constantly tries to dodge: dry hits.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What good does this do for those who vape over 40 watts of temperature like 100 - 200 watts. If you stick with a normal coil ohm over 1.0 and above with staying below10 watts you do not have to worry about temp control for the liquid changing up.
I hear what your saying. All I'm saying it will make a nice tool to have in the shed when it comes to fighting the FDA.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I hear what your saying. All I'm saying it will make a nice tool to have in the shed when it comes to fighting the FDA.
OR, will this cause the FDA to ban ANYTHING that isn't temp regulated?
That would be a catastrophe for public health!
Since no new vaper is going to kick out $400 bucks for one of these if they don't even know if vaping would help them or not.
90% of vapers buy ego kits and could give a shit less about 3rd generation devices.
We are the extreme of the vapers. The 10% that are in to the next big thing.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
^^^ E
OR, will this cause the FDA to ban ANYTHING that isn't temp regulated?
That would be a catastrophe for public health!
Since no new vaper is going to kick out $400 bucks for one of these if they don't even know if vaping would help them or not.
90% of vapers buy ego kits and could give a shit less about 3rd generation devices.
We are the extreme of the vapers. The 10% that are in to the next big thing.
I mostly agree Unless EVOL can get a patent on this????? IF all devices used this method the price would easily drop to $40 or under if it was mass produced.Its not likes its a Computer CPU least not a modern one IMO- but EGo types with cheapish PC Boards like this could get very finicky

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
who says temp control wont be in ego devices by next year? instead of variable voltage or wattage, variable temperature 400-600 degrees. plus i dont think FDA is smart enough to distinguish between anything in the ecig industry that the big tobacco doesnt tell them about

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For goodness sake this guy sure is fixated on this subject.

Wattage plus resistance does not equal temperature. Watch the video.

@_nderscore made the point about a "510 nickel wire-based convection *** that's a pretty solid argument IMO.

Why don't you ask Evolv if they are going to market this board for use in
*** if that bothers you so much? Even if they were how can you equate that with having no benefit for e-cig users?

Either you haven't watched the video or you are claiming Evolv is lying to us. You don't understand the difference between heat and temperature. You wonder how a 40W device will benefit people that vape over 40W. You continually quote some random medical ***user as if he is a expert on e-juice vaporization and Evolv's technology.

Why are you so stuck on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Being sold by Protovapor now for 204.00 as a special price. http://www.protovapor.com/product/xpv-dna-40d-with-temperature-protection/ I would like to order but truthfully I would like to see some some reviews rather than being the beta tester.

I used to have some toothbrush cases that looked like those :). Just my opinion but aesthetically if I were going to buy the new DNA 40 I would probably get a Vaporshark when they're available. Then again at almost twice the price of the IPV's, Siegelli's etc.. I probably wont get one unless I can pickup the board for cheap and build one myself.

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really like the idea of setting the temperature limit.
Solves two big problems:
1) Vapor getting to hot after several quick hits in a row or during a long draw with a pause in the middle of it.
2) Stopping dry hits that are always super hot.
I believe that is the intent for Evolv adding this feature in the new chip.
I also believe that all this dry herb speculation is reading to much in to it.
One thing I've found out is peoples comfort zone and tolerance to vapor heat varies greatly.
Those younger folks down at my local B&M can take MUCH more heat than my old ass throat can handle.
So being able to customize the heat limit I think is a really good idea.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Unless the people designing these chips are stoners or something?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_mgjfilff1M1qkhgweo1_500_zpstkvhk3m6.gif

VU Sponsors