Become a Patron!

The FDA must resist the irrational fear of vaping

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A thought here about something that article touched on... Mandating the reduction of nicotine in conventional cigarettes.

On the surface, this seems reasonable. However if we all know that it's not the nicotine that is harmful, but the smoke itself, and we know that some people just prefer to smoke and simply won't take up vaping or heat not burn tech, then wouldn't it stand to reason that those people might potentially end up smoking MORE to maintain their blood nicotine levels therefore doing even more physical harm to themselves?

Seems that way to me.

Of course, if they smoke more it will mean they'll be feeding the government just that much more tax revenue. They'll also die sooner, and cost the government less in benefit payouts due to their reduced lifespan.

Win-win for the government, but do the people really benefit from this? Something tells me, not so much.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
A thought here about something that article touched on... Mandating the reduction of nicotine in conventional cigarettes.

On the surface, this seems reasonable. However if we all know that it's not the nicotine that is harmful, but the smoke itself, and we know that some people just prefer to smoke and simply won't take up vaping or heat not burn tech, then wouldn't it stand to reason that those people might potentially end up smoking MORE to maintain their blood nicotine levels therefore doing even more physical harm to themselves?
I'm sure that will be true for at least some smokers. I have a fuzzy recollection that studies have been done in which a sizable fraction of smokers actually preferred smoking zero nic cigs over various forms of NRT when offered the choice between them. The FDA's proposal would force all the smokers in the country participate in such a study. The results, when they're finally written up a decade or two later, will certainly be interesting.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the lower-nic cigarettes just sound a good excuse for some smokers to smoke MORE... and since it's not the nicotine but the smoke itself that's dangerous, it's horribly COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE as far as health. It came as a great shock to me to learn how badly nicotine has been slandered, so much so that now 'everyone knows' that nicotine is a product of THE DEVIL! Yeah, everyone except vapers with half a brain who've done some reading. The media does NOTHING but slam nicotine, yet caffeine is treated like Manna From Heaven... and chemically, they're not that different.

I think we should make coffee a prescription drug, with Schedule 1 controls by the DEA, and only a certain mg level legal to sell at all.... Let's see how all those politicos and smoke nazis like THAT. :devil:

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
caffeine is treated like Manna From Heaven
That's because it is! :D

I think we should make coffee a prescription drug, with Schedule 1 controls by the DEA, and only a certain mg level legal to sell at all.
UMiTFM7.gif

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's because it is! :D

UMiTFM7.gif

Pretty much how I feel about "regulating" vaping. :facepalm: Actually.. that's how I feel about all busybodies of every stripe sticking their fascist control-freak noses where they don't belong.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lower nicotine levels totally ignores the highly addictive alkaloids in tobacco....

And those folks are going to be as surprised as I was, to learn how intense their addiction is, when they finally try to quit -- I smoked ultra-lights, which contain very little nicotine, for more than 20 yrs... but without WTA, I'd never have managed to finally put the cigarettes down and leave them alone. And of course, BP *does* completely ignore that aspect of smoking addiction, since their stupid patches and whatnot contain NO MAOIs nor any tobacco alkaloids other than nicotine... then when people fail, they keep hollering "Just keep trying!" like that's somehow going to make it easier. :facepalm: It DOESN'T. In fact, the more you try and fail, the harder it gets, everytime.

Andria

VU Sponsors