Become a Patron!

The Foodie Thread

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, some of you knew I'd make one of these topics. ;-)

I love food. That includes shopping for it, cooking it, eating it and photographing it.
Primarily, I'd like to see things YOU have eaten and/or made yourself. It doesn't matter if it's a hot dog or a gourmet meal.

Here is my late-night TV watching snack....

• Franz "Sweet & Dark" whole grain bread
  • Julienned Turkey Breast tossed with EVOO, kosher salt and dry sweet basil
  • Garlic bologna
  • Colby-Jack Cheese
  • Tomato & Sweet Onion
  • Sliced Kamalata Olives
  • Thinly sliced Orange Habanero
  • Best Food's Mayo
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Sprinkle of Sea Salt and Black Pepper

A little prep can go a long way for a great snack. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont usually take picture of the food I prepare. I cook 18-20 meals a week for the last 12 years and it has gotten old. However Last summer I did take these because I had invited some peeps and they decided to cancel the day of and posted to let them see what they missed. two different rubs and one plain 8 hours of smoke and they were delicious. And no I have not invited them back to eat.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 36
  • ribs1.jpg
    ribs1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 34

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Watching....

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yummy stuff guys...love it. :D

Sorry for not posting much. I haven't really been cooking the last few days as it's just too damn hot.
I've no inclination to spend $$$ running fans and my ancient 1970's AC and then heat up the Apt. at the same time by cooking. ;-)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, Big post here, but it's worth it. ;)

Chicken Tinga I made awhile back...

I used:

• about 2lbs boneless chicken breasts - sliced on bias into approx. 1" strips
  • Chipotle in adobo
  • 1.5 onions
  • 1 orange habanero chile, chopped
  • 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and mashed/chopped
  • Mexican Oregano, MX coarse sea salt, black pepper, cumin, a bay leaf, hot chile flakes, some poultry seasoning in lieu of Thyme, and a cube of Knorr beef bullion
  • for liquid, I used some saved liquid from boiling a few sausages with sauerkraut. (adds a nice beefy tartness)
  • one diced Tomatillo
  • one roasted tomato, also diced
  • additional chipotle, garlic and MX chile powders

Poultry, sliced up.

The stuff. I divided the onion/garlic/habanero into piles for cooking the chicken and for the later slow-cooking. The larger chunks of onion were for the stewing so they wouldn't disappear.

Heated some leftover fat from making a bacon burger along with some Manteca, then added the onions, Habanero and garlic. Cooked a bit to season the fat nicely, then added the chicken and spices. Cooked until slightly browned.

As it cooked and I moved the pieces around, I broke them up with my bamboo spoon. Saves the PITA of shredding them. ;-)

Meanwhile, I'd put the liquid, the Chipotle in adobe, roasted tomato, tomotillo, the beef bouillon cube, the extra powders and the remainder of the veggies in the cooker to heat. Then, added the chicken when it was tender and ready. Mashed the chicken with a potato masher a bit in the sauce, brought to a simmer and turned down to slow-cook for about 2-3 hours. =)

Behold the spicy awesomesaucery!
I prefer having some chunks instead of all shreds...if I want smaller I can make them smaller.

Yummmm!! :cool:

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Making for dinner tonight:

Steak - NY Strip cooked medium-rare
Balsamic sauteed green beans
Smashed and roasted purple, red, and white small potatoes

I will post a pic when it's ready

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone make their own iced coffee? I started doing it this summer. Anyone want to share recipes for that?

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I'm probably gonna grill a pork loin, some corn, and maybe stuff some bell peppers for my sick wifey.

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I will totally post pics, along with the beer I drink with it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone make their own iced coffee? I started doing it this summer. Anyone want to share recipes for that?

You betcha!

Most of the time, I just make an iced latte of some sort. Or, make up a strong pot of coffee and then put it in the fridge.

Sometimes, I'll do a pour-over brew as well.

Not fancy, but it works. ;-)

1jrsNlIl.jpg

DK1woiNl.jpg

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
CaFF, have you ever tried Cafe Bustelo? I found a recipe that calls for that brand of coffee and want feedback before I try it.

cafebustello.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
CaFF, have you ever tried Cafe Bustelo? I found a recipe that calls for that brand of coffee and want feedback before I try it.

View attachment 1327

I have. It's....ok. It's in the Cuban style intended for cream and lots of sugar. .AKA kinda burnt tasting. ...lol

I bought it for making this: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/flan-de-cafe/

Kind of earthy, astringent, very dark and finely ground. It's interesting, but I probably won't buy more. Just a personal preference. It's cheap at Wal-Mart.

How-To:
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-TributeHow-to-make-Cuban-Coffee-Cafe-con-le/

More reviews:
http://www.possessedbycaffeine.com/2009/11/cafe-bustelo-coffees.html

Last edited:

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
CaFF,

Thank you for those links. I've never had coffee flan, but just the idea of it sounds awesome. The best I ever had was pumpkin flan.

I may pass on the Cafe Bustelo as well...

I'm on a caramel kick lately and want to add some to an iced coffee (because that really helps my diet!). What do you use, if any, caramel for this?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
CaFF,

Thank you for those links. I've never had coffee flan, but just the idea of it sounds awesome. The best I ever had was pumpkin flan.

I may pass on the Cafe Bustelo as well...

I'm on a caramel kick lately and want to add some to an iced coffee (because that really helps my diet!). What do you use, if any, caramel for this?

Well, I'm not huge on Caramel in coffee..more of a Mocha/Hazelnut sort of guy. ;)
I think this would work for ya though: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torani-Sugar-Free-Classic-Caramel-Syrup-25.4-fl-oz/22066507

info: http://www.torani.com/products/caramel-syrup
They also have a salted caramel and non-diet versions too. :)

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 1327

I drink this stuff every damn morning. Love it! I have a fairly decent espresso machine, so I run it through that. All in all, the Bustelo is very decent utilitarian espresso. I like it better than most expensive cans readily available. That said, the only thing that beats it is the Cenfro Cafe beans that my local roaster gets in from time to time.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I do! Have you tried cold brewing? That makes extremely good iced coffee. Not bitterness or acidity.

Also, look into a Chemex. Best damned coffee maker I've owned.

Rick Bayless is awesome. Do you watch his show? He's the most sincere chef. He seems like he really loves what he does.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh...yeah, I knew how to do that...d'oh. I just didn't know it was called that.:oops:

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK homemade, kinda, baja chipolte sauce.
I usually toss diced chicken in it. approx 2lbs
Pre cook meat and dice
1cup generic hot sauce... the cheep plastic bottle kind found at aldis,dollar stores
1cup whiskey sweet and sour mix
1 cup light cantilena salad dressing
2 TBL of chipolte tobasco sauce
2 Tbl onion powder
2 Tbl garlic powder
red pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

in 16" pan reduce until disired thickness with cooked chicken
after cooking toss in crockpot and serve it all day

I did this at a church pot luck about 14 years ago and it was the first thing gone. it went over great.
And yes my wife just shook her head while I created that the first time and every time after.

Taste is very similar to lowry's baja chipolte sauce except this pops not the dull mass produced taste.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK homemade, kinda, baja chipolte sauce.
I usually toss diced chicken in it. approx 2lbs
Pre cook meat and dice
1cup generic hot sauce... the cheep plastic bottle kind found at aldis,dollar stores
1cup whiskey sweet and sour mix
1 cup light cantilena salad dressing
2 TBL of chipolte tobasco sauce
2 Tbl onion powder
2 Tbl garlic powder
red pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

in 16" pan reduce until disired thickness with cooked chicken
after cooking toss in crockpot and serve it all day

I did this at a church pot luck about 14 years ago and it was the first thing gone. it went over great.
And yes my wife just shook her head while I created that the first time and every time after.

Taste is very similar to lowry's baja chipolte sauce except this pops not the dull mass produced taste.

Jake, you should check this stuff out:
51078CMSVCL.AA500_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA500_SH20_.jpg
and if you can't find that, look for this:
71vSZYvopaL._SL1500_.jpg
The top one is just the sauce that the chipotles come in, the bottom one is chipotles in the sauce. This stuff will change your life. There are other brands of chipotles in adobo, but these San Marcos ones are BY FAR the best. In fact, it's what I see Rick Bayless using on his PBS show.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Being in southern ILLinois I cannot even find Kimchi let along anything used by chefs on tv. Krogers even pulled the Wylers no sodium chicken bullion. This stuff is great it has the more chicken then chicken taste. I dont usually buy stuff in cans tho glass jars ok. I will keep an eye out for it next time Im in St. louis

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gonna be in the 90's all week, so not a lot of cooking going on. Made a wee bit of potato salad though.

rpMSvq6h.jpg

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Being in southern ILLinois I cannot even find Kimchi let along anything used by chefs on tv. Krogers even pulled the Wylers no sodium chicken bullion. This stuff is great it has the more chicken then chicken taste. I dont usually buy stuff in cans tho glass jars ok. I will keep an eye out for it next time Im in St. louis

I get my chipotles in adobo at my local Latin-American bodega. These days, I think most towns have at least one nearby.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
CaFF, you make some delicious-looking food.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today's brunch: A double cheeseburger cooked on my Lodge C.I. grill pan.

(pics are thumbnails, click for larger)

Found some leftover 50/50 Turkey/Beef patties in the freezer, figured I'd use 'em up. :)
They were made up with bacon bits, spices and onion and stashed awhile back.

Readying the whole wheat buns while the pan heated up.
I used Bacon Mustard, Bacon Ranch, minced Orange Hab and some Tomato. Added some Swiss cheese too.

Patties cooking nicely, the sweet onions were sprayed with corn oil so they wouldn't get weird.

I'd warmed the buns in my toaster oven at 250F while I was cooking the burgers, now they get to join the party.

Boom. There it is....
ready-to-eat-19.gif

Ain't that just bloody delish?

Cleanup with the cast iron just rocks. Just some hot water and a peeler/brush thing intended for veggies I got from the dollar store. It fits the pan nicely. No muss, no fuss. :)

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I had lied to you guys about the pork loin and what nots. My wife got sick, so, cardboard pizza it was. I had a Lienenkugel's Creamy Dark that night though, so, here's pictures. Lame, I know.

Attachments

• IMG_3694-570x854.jpg
    IMG_3694-570x854.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 11
  • market-pantry-pepperoni-pizza-coupon.jpg
    market-pantry-pepperoni-pizza-coupon.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
In my own damn forum I don't know this thread exists. Trying to diet here!! Damn you!!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had lied to you guys about the pork loin and what nots. My wife got sick, so, cardboard pizza it was. I had a Lienenkugel's Creamy Dark that night though, so, here's pictures. Lame, I know.

No worries, I like me some Lienenkugel too. :)

Old pic, but yummmmy.

1sMNwl.jpg

In my own damn forum I don't know this thread exists. Trying to diet here!! Damn you!!

Awww.... I believe the best diet is just moderation and some good home-cooked food.
b-wink.gif

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
No worries, I like me some Lienenkugel too. :)

Old pic, but yummmmy.

1sMNwl.jpg

Awww.... I believe the best diet is just moderation and some good home-cooked food.
b-wink.gif

Have you had Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout? It's damn good.

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Last week I fucked around and got a triple double.

Attachments

• triple double.jpg
    triple double.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 35

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
It was nuts. First one I was like "Yay", second one I thought "How curious", by the third I was thinking "where can I find the chicken that laid these eggs?"

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made pickles last night. Dill, and garlic, and mustard seed, and stuff. Two of the five also have Serrano and cayenne peppers in them.

Attachments

• IMG_20140710_183216.jpg
    IMG_20140710_183216.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 18

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Being lazy tonight.

Poblano pepper stuffed with a mix of ground chuck and chorizo sausage and onions with a bit of salt and pepper and a dash of Sriracha sauce wrapped in aluminum foil and baked for about 1 hour at 375 then covered with pepper jack cheese and served with something to be determined other than cold beer.

I am getting away with this because the Mrs. is out of town and I am batching it for the next week.

She hates the smell of cooking peppers.

And she also hates the noises and smell that I make after eating them.

Thinking take out Indian tomorrow night:D

Last edited:

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm making Fiesta Chicken -

1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • Dash crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
  • 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
  • Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes

I added to this recipe:

red onion
black olives
more cayenne than called for

Serving in warm flour tortillas. Yum!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Anyone like Cincinnati Style Chili?

Here you go!Ron's Chili.jpg
I also like to add a bit of corn starch to get it to the consistency of a rather thick pasta sauce, then top with diced onions and Jalapeno slices if desired, then top with shredded cheddar cheese on top of medium egg noodles (the egg noodles are a MUST) and then just enough of a nuke to melt the cheese.

Also, very cold beer is a must to go with it.

Trust me, this stuff is damn good! When I make it I have to make a double batch as my kids find a reason to visit other than ask for money.

Crennan_Baker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Got home and my sweet wife had made dinner. Awesome caeser/oil salad, pasta salad which is kinda like garlic oily type stuff, yogurt and strawberries, and THE PORK. Also, aforementioned beer. I dont know how she made it all because I was at work, but, I love my wife. uploadfromtaptalk1405037500603.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405037513093.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405037519408.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405037528810.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405037538255.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, great foods from everyone. :D

Love the Mex recipes and the pickles.
I made a nice and spicy "sweet & sour pickle" style pickle relish not long ago out of jar of pickles I hated.

vRLhz6ql.jpg

Was fun and easy...I'll have to track down the post with the recipe. :)

Right now, waking up to a nice cup of tea:

BeJTrwul.jpg

It's about 400ml worth of a bag of Twining's English Breakfast, plus a Tsp. of Sprouting brand Jasmine Tea in the blue tin. (the best stuff)

Yummmy...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's gonna be one of those damn days....o_O

Went to make some breakfast, no biggie eh?
Note to self: When cooking, be sure to wipe hands throughly before picking up the camera to take pics.

Well, I didn't and I dropped my camera.
Like really dropped it. From about 3.5 feet up onto hard vinyl flooring, when it was on, and the lens was extended on a 6X optical zoom camera....

Flew right out of my hand and went CRASH on the kitchen floor. OMG!!
About had a fucking heart attack as I can't afford to replace that thing. It was a 1-in-a-million thrift store find.

But, fearing the worst, I picked it up and as it turns out, it's mostly OK. Tough SOAB of a camera.
I did snap the catches on the Battery/SD compartment about halfway off though. It closes, but not far enough to turn on.

I can't believe it didn't break the lens or the LCD, mess up the gearing, the electronics, or even crack it.

Now, until I can find parts, it's like this:
(photo taken with my ancient Samsung S630...it has insanely bad white balance...ugh.)

8GG4Tuol.jpg

Sucks for changing batteries and I have to use the damned USB cable to transfer shit, but I'll live.

Duct Tape FTW!!!

red_green.jpg

Yes, I still took pictures of the brekky with the busted camera.
I'll post 'em later after a few stiff drinks...
drinking-2.gif

Last edited:

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you guys make me hungry with all your delicious looking vittles. and here i am, culinarily impaired.
cry2.gif

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Proper glassware is fun.
And, since it is a Stella Artois "Chalice" being used, it is also proper glassware that was free.

aCf6wX2h.jpg

Yeahhhh....life is good.

533efae3548c352602001900_880215180.jpg

VU Sponsors