The Foodie Thread

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its very seldom I go out to eat somewhere after work and actually want to find the place online and leave a shitty review. Its REALLY hard to fuck up Chinese food...there's not a lot you can do wrong. I'm limited greatly in what I can eat at a Chinese buffet because of my fungus (mushroom) sensitive, but its so seldom I spend $10 for food and wonder why I wasted my 20 minutes and still be starving. NOT doing that chinese place again. $2 less than the one in another part of the area, and I'm not in the mood for this crap. I think I'm going to go leave a YELP! review or something.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love Yelp reviews. No punches pulled. lol

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is for @Hobby Kid. I finally got to World Market. Guess what I bought? :)
410017899.jpg

This time I'll actually try it since it's cheat day.
Lush. did you try it then? you can microwave the spotted dick. and that custard tastes great cold out of the tin as it's nice and thick upon opening.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lush. did you try it then? you can microwave the spotted dick. and that custard tastes great cold out of the tin as it's nice and thick upon opening.

I did. The custard is really good. I had a little this morning with a bit of granola cereal sprinkled on top. I got some Bird's powdered custard while I was there too, proving the saying you should never shop when you're hungry.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did. The custard is really good. I had a little this morning with a bit of granola cereal sprinkled on top. I got some Bird's powdered custard while I was there too, proving the saying you should never shop when you're hungry.
haha that's so true. i'm going shopping now to get some of my weekend food in. i never do a whole week's shop as i like going round big supermarkets. that bird's custard powder - our mum used it all the time when we were growing up. but it's a lot of hard work i think

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny how spices and such can last for literally years. Or, decades. ;-)

My ancient Morton Lite-Salt shaker is about empty. Never realized just how old it was until I bought a new one. (new is on the right)

This should have been a clue, also no nutrition panel so it's older than that requirement. :D
The new one cost about three bucks.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My ancient Morton Lite-Salt shaker is about empty. Never realized just how old it was until I bought a new one. (new is on the right)

This should have been a clue, also no nutrition panel so it's older than that requirement. :D
Love that "find us on Facebook" symbol on the new one lol

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Love that "find us on Facebook" symbol on the new one lol

Yeah, times change eh?

Here's how old that salt is: it has the Morton-Thiokol name on it. o_O

In 1982, the business was purchased by Thiokol Corporation, producing Morton Thiokol Incorporated (MTI). Morton Thiokol divested itself of Morton in 1989, following the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, which was blamed on Morton Thiokol products. Morton received the company's consumer chemical products divisions, while Thiokol retained only the space propulsion systems concern.

In 1999 Morton Salt was acquired by the Philadelphia-based Rohm and Haas Company, Inc. and operated as a division of that company[2] along with the Canadian Salt Company (which Morton had acquired in 1954).[3]

On 2 April 2009, it was reported that Morton Salt was being acquired by German fertilizer and salt company K+S for a total enterprise value of US$1.7bn.[5] The sale, completed by October 2009, was in conjunction with the Dow Chemical Company's takeover of Rohm and Haas.[

Damn DowChem, they p0wn all the things. :-/

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made another cottage cheese salad, I guess I've been needing/hankering for salad lately. :D

Same red-leaf lettuce, cubed habanero jack cheese, large curd 4% cottage cheese, sliced Hatch chile, green olives and turkey. Added bacon ranch and garlic salt/black pepper with a dash of onion powder. Tasty! :D

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Birds custard....mmmmm. gimme a bowl of that with some canned pears and im in heaven.
That sounds like it would make a good vape. Think I'll work on that this weekend.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does that mean you'd like to try some if it works out OK? lol

Reactions: Ace

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You wouldn't have to twist my arm...

actually theres a thread...maybe a chickenmonkey recipe where I asked about it. It was a few weeks ago and hic made some suggestions. Dont think it was fa thread though.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

My mom has some incredibly ancient McCormick's spice tins, she still stores everything in them. Most are marked 10cents or 25cents. She says they don't take up as much space as the round ones and they're limited on space in an RV most of the year. So she's learned to squeeze space where she can. Also Morton changes their labels at least yearly. A friend back home is one of their graphic designers.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My mom has some incredibly ancient McCormick's spice tins, she still stores everything in them. Most are marked 10cents or 25cents. She says they don't take up as much space as the round ones and they're limited on space in an RV most of the year. So she's learned to squeeze space where she can. Also Morton changes their labels at least yearly. A friend back home is one of their graphic designers.

Ya, I have some of those ancient tins too, good stuff. :)

That salt and a whole box of old spices came from my gramma... :D
I keep telling them that most dried herbs last for a looong time if sealed and kept cool and dry and out of light, but they are media-brained and think new is better always.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice day out and half-time for football, so walked to Mex store and got a few things. :)

• Beautiful little purplish "miltomate" Tomatillos from Oaxaca
  • A good price on Blue Agave syrup
  • Mexican Vanilla I use for coffee and stuff (the bottles are also a nice 250ml and I re-use for DIY)
  • Some fresh Cilantro...smellls SO good.
  • My fave locally made smoked Cotija cheese

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wanted a no-fuss foodstuff for watching Nascar today, so pulled out a tin of ravioli and messed with it. ;-)

Added garlic & onion powders, Mexican oregano and black pepper.
Then, made up a quicky Pico of the small purple tomatillos, cilantro, orange hab, onion, garlic and a bit of cumin and S&P too.

Added the Pico with crumbled Smoked Queso Cotija and Bacon pieces .

Nom time....French bread on the side for mopping up.

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
computer off
ipad off
phone off

dinners up! nom nom.
i love this point in the day.
cu all laters

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made up a batch of my Spicy Meat Filling today. :)

(Lotta pics, so using thumbnails, click for larger images.)

Some older ground beef from the freezer...it don't matter as it's gonna seasoned to death.

We got from Top Left:
Hot Salsa for cooking the meat with, Cumin, chipotle powder, Mex chile powder, Chili seasoning (it's got more chiles than most taco ones), The Meat, Serrano chile, Hatch chile, Cilantro, garlic, Tomatillo and Onion.

Meat cooking up with the salsa

When meat was cooked, added the rest of the goodies and about a 1/4C. of pickled Jalapeno juice instead of water. Let it come to a low boil then let it simmer until everything was thickened and done, stirring occasionally.

Let it sit a minute to cool a bit, then spooned into a metal strainer over a pyrex dish and let the fat and excess liquid drain. Butter knife is there for stirring and poking so it's evenly drained.

See the fat and gunk we didn't need?

All finished and ready to go in the fridge. Approx. 3 cups worth.
That'll last me about a couple weeks of making burritos, tacos and other stuff up. :)

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Caff - you need to come here and pick up the half bushel of ground cherry/tomatillos I have that are finally dropping off, before the deer eat them. We won't and they just grow wild here. Someone should eat them, the deer have corn, soybeans, and other things to eat, including raspberry plant leaves - they like those.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fixed up some Pre-NASCAR nomz....

Deadly Bacon Dawgz with Cheeze!

Bimbo bread (no HFCS, etc), hot dog relish, thin sliced onion, colby-jack, pre-heated bacon hot dogs with a swipe of Dave's Insanity just because I can.

Stuck 'em in the toaster oven at 300F until slightly toasted and the cheese was all melty.

Mmmm, Dave's Insanity and Bacon Hotdogs.....

Dogs-discuss-the-pizza-on-the-dining-room-table..jpeg
I want to live with CaFF. Even those stupid hotdogs look good.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bacon and Bean soup tonight.

1 1/2 # smoked bacon
60 oz pinto beans, cooked
I 1/2 large white onions, diced
2 serrano chilies, diced
5 sweet orange peppers, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
4 sprigs of thyme, off stem
2 sprigs of rosemary, minced
2 cups El Pato salsa de chile fresca
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 qt unsalted chicken broth
salt n pepper to taste.

cut bacon into small bits, fry till almost crispy in soup pot
add veggies and beans
stir together and add broth and El Pato.

Simmer for hour and a half and add cream before serving. mix well and boom shalock.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
786939b9579bde488628fda6f8052e00.jpg

fca6cdcb7f44a3810b98700290589abb.jpg

Premade quiche because I am lazy

901d47d5f8c4e5b7f349b34bc6064ba4.jpg

Korma sauce for chicken

58c1746c68a1ba624e3fa8787fbb5d84.jpg

Pim's

Fuck yeah hon...now I'm jealous. :D

Bacon and Bean soup tonight.

1 1/2 # smoked bacon
60 oz pinto beans, cooked
I 1/2 large white onions, diced
2 serrano chilies, diced
5 sweet orange peppers, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
4 sprigs of thyme, off stem
2 sprigs of rosemary, minced
2 cups El Pato salsa de chile fresca
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 qt unsalted chicken broth
salt n pepper to taste.

cut bacon into small bits, fry till almost crispy in soup pot
add veggies and beans
stir together and add broth and El Pato.

Simmer for hour and a half and add cream before serving. mix well and boom shalock.

Damn man, that sounds incredible. Props on the El Pato, love their sauces.
I may have to make that soon....I have all of the ingredients except the tomatoes and they are a block away.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does booze count as food?

P1020455.JPG

Hestor just broke Deon Sander's record...and got flagged for goose-stepping into the end zone doing it..LOLZ

35-0 Falcons...I knew Tampa would get crushed, but jeeez....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have no camera but one of my favorite salad recipes I came up with.
Steam chopped kale
Add whatever else you want in the steamer, have done cauliflower, carrots etc.

Once steamed remove from heat.
In a medium sauce pan melt a half cup of coconut oil or use olive oil, add minced garlic and slightly brown, 1-2 cups tahini paste, a squeeze of lemon and pepper... whisk until thickened.
Pour over steamed veg and toss.

Can add slivered almonds or pine nuts.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Uncle gave me some cheeses he was given and didn't like, lucky me!
Not large hunks but they are freakin' expensive and awesome cheeses.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mex store goodies!

Hadn't tried that Piquin sauce before, it's good with a strong cumin/corieander flavor. Great for burritos.
Also, a rare find of some ripe red Serrano chiles, so tasty and sweet. Hotter than the usual green ones too. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bought something I've always wanted; some egg rings to make beautiful egg sammies. :D

They're from AU too, nice quality with a 25 year warranty. The square ones reverse to make a "flower" shape as well.

They're silicone and good from -40 to over 500F, so can use for fun pancakes, freezing burger patties, crab cakes, making scones or other fun things too. $11 shipped on Ebay.

woot-035.gif

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Suppah's done! Broiled Trader Joe's jalapeño chicken sausage and fresh brussels sprouts that I sautéed with olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper.

9bea3a06c9417beaeea75d5f223b2f5a.jpg

Easy, low cal, and FUCKING YUMMERZ!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Suppah's done! Broiled Trader Joe's jalapeño chicken sausage and fresh brussels sprouts that I sautéed with olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper.

9bea3a06c9417beaeea75d5f223b2f5a.jpg

Easy, low cal, and FUCKING YUMMERZ!

That looks amazing...definitely yummmy!!! :D

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That looks amazing...definitely yummmy!!! :D

Thanks! I'm cooking the other half of the bag of brussels sprouts tonight.
Thinking about incorporating apple cider vinegar whilst sautéing this time, but I'm not sure what else goes with that?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Groggy day, decided a proper brekky was in order.

• Two eggs over medium on Habanero-Jack cheese toast
  • Homemade hash browns with potato, pork sausage, ripe red Serrano chile, Marjoram, New Orleans seasoning, onion, and garlic.

Prep time!

Brekky is served...with hot coffee and a vape.

Now, for your close-up.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I'm cooking the other half of the bag of brussels sprouts tonight.
Thinking about incorporating apple cider vinegar whilst sautéing this time, but I'm not sure what else goes with that?

Hmm, IDK...I usually cook 'em with bacon and onions. :D

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, IDK...I usually cook 'em with bacon and onions. :D

I've got neither.
I might just do them like I did the other night but use ACV instead of the lemon juice.

VU Sponsors