The Foodie Thread

Demoniacal

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Finally made a gourmetish hot dog inspired by @CaFF used broccoli slaw and 2 different types of mustard:
Broccolidawgs.jpg

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I finally had food that tasted good today. The misery I've been in lately included "nothing even remotely sounds edible, pass the pretzels please."

Tonight I had plain old oven baked chicken from Schwan's, overpriced but yummy anyway. There were potatoes and butter. I had the potatoes, four cats shared the butter.

Demoniacal

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Broccoli slaw is basically broccoli stems and carrots shredded into small strips, I toss mine in a raspberry vinagrete and let it sit for a while to soak up some flavor, with an asian sweet hot mustard and some beer mustard it was really good with the hot dogs.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Nothing to elaborate tonight.

Some veal Tacos with some diced onions and peppers with some sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

And cold beer:D

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got some left over baked chicken, gonna shred it and toss it with some buffalo sauce and make a buffalo burrito.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Broccoli slaw is basically broccoli stems and carrots shredded into small strips, I toss mine in a raspberry vinagrete and let it sit for a while to soak up some flavor, with an asian sweet hot mustard and some beer mustard it was really good with the hot dogs.

I love broccoli can't ever seem to get enough of it. It's very good for you too. I like to melt Havarti cheese over it and add a light touch of Blue Cheese dressing. Yummy!

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Delicious Asian Noodles w/veggies.

pad-see-ew-chiang-rai.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a couple burritos the other day:

Refried pinto beans, 3 y.o. sharp white cheddar, my spicy meat filling, chopped Mayan sweet onion & jalapeno and a sploosh of Zaaschila Chile Piquin Salsa Picante.

Crisped/browned up and heated in a dry pan - I used my old Anolon, but cast iron would be great too.

Good and simple stuff. I ate one and stashed the other in the fridge for later munching. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cheap 2-for-$7 supreme pizza, spiffed up with extra spices and garlic powder, Mayan sweet onion, Hatch chile and pepper-jack cheese.

Baked up some chicken chunks for snacking and/or making stuff.
They were marinated for a day in hot curry Thai sauce plus some extra red Habanero sauce and garlic.

Tossed with a bit of Lousiana hot sauce for a nice flavor.

Yummers. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had a hankering for cheeseburger mac.
Used a box of generic mac 'n cheese for a base, but ignored their instructions as usual. ;)

While the pasta cooked, browned up some ground beef/beef heart with a dash of Worstershire and S&P.
Chopped up some onion, garlic and a couple of chiles and chucked it into the browned beef with a pinch of Marjoram and a drop of liquid smoke.

Let that sauté for awhile while I drained the pasta and added butter, half & half and yes, the powdery "stuff" packet. (I'm using the mystery stuff packet as the flour in a Béchamel sauce..heheh)

However, once those were combined I also added about 1/4C each of Sharp Cheddar and Aged White Cheddar. Because it needs actual cheese ya know. ;-)

And, there ya have it...

Well, I'm full now.... :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Scrambled Eggs on Not-Toast

jgroup100500092.jpg

Chopped up some bologna, onion and Serrano chile.
Prepared some hamburger buns with some leftover peppered brown gravy.

Sauteed the chopped stuff in a bit of EVOO, then added a well-beaten egg mixed with about 1/2 tsp. of Mexican Sour Cream and scrambled it into succulent yumminess.

Warmed the buns a bit, then piled it all on. ;-)
Grated some tasty Cotija cheese over it for a nice salty and piquant topping.

Nom Nom Nom.... :D

San Miguel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of beer ...

I lived in the Philippines for 5 years ... My beer of choice > San Miguel

SanMiguelBeer.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made some more of my infamous Spicy Meat Filling again...

About a pound or so of lean ground beef, dashes of Worcestershire and Ketchup, about half an onion, garlic cloves, Mexican Oregano, Cumin, A big Red Habanero, lots of chile powders & spices, and I used pickled Jalapeno "juice" and beer for the liquids.

De-glazing with some Dos Equis Ambar...mmmm
Note: As there is about a 1/4 tsp. of Bhut Jolokia powder in there, Do Not Smell The Steam!!

Let it all reduce and concentrate on low heat for about an hour.

Pressed through a metal strainer to get the extra fat and liquid out - but saving that good stuff for flavoring other things. :)

Stuff will take yer head off, but man it's good.
Besides just burritos, I like adding it to grocery store Chilli and putting over buns with some cheese.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ProTips for chip bags:

1-filled-m.png

After pulling the top open, fold down the edges.
That way, it won't split and you can easily just roll it down as you consume. :)

2-filled-m.png

I use wooden clothespins for closing my chip bags. Works great and it's easy. =)
A bag of them will last years, unlike those plastic clips. They are CHEAP too.
The pins you're looking at, were given to me used in 1996...still kicking..

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got hungry, so I made a nice Blue Cheese-burger with Grilled Mayan Onion on Seattle Sourdough's Brioche buns. :)

Shaved off some Quillisascut Raw Blue Cheese from my home state of WA. Friggin' amazing cheese.

Using my oiled Lodge grill pan, I grilled up the burger patty which had been marinated in a pepper sauce and frozen. Also grilled up some Mayan sweet onion.

This is the result:

I'd also lightly oiled and grilled the Brioche buns.
Now, I just swiped one with some nice white wine Dijon mustard, pulled off some lettuce and we are good to go!

Yeah, I somewhat deflated the buns by handling them, but they still soft, buttery and good.

Happy in my tummy.....yessir!

YN9cPzkm.jpg

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi CaFF How are you? I was wondering, you make all these amazing meals and snacks, but even though they're often high calorie it still doesn't seem like you put on weight. How's that then? Got some magic ingredient?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi CaFF How are you? I was wondering, you make all these amazing meals and snacks, but even though they're often high calorie it still doesn't seem like you put on weight. How's that then? Got some magic ingredient?

Hiya m8,

Well, I think it's a combination of good genes, being a smaller person with an ectomorph body type, and eating as my body wants me to. If I feel like rice today, I make rice. Maybe I wake up and want a egg on toast...it all depends. Eating the same things everyday is bad for ya, IMO.

I eat small portions and actually chew my food..lol I consume lots of water, whole grains, beans & rice, coffee, garlic, loads of chiles, and have taken vitamin/mineral supplements since I was a child. I didn't even have white sugar untiI was 14 and still don't have any bleached flour or sugar in the house.

Those things promote a faster metabolism and higher immune system..so i don't get sick.

A little known fact is that many seemingly 'fat' people have GI tract issues. They aren't digesting properly and have elimination issues as well. Basically, they are gassy and bloated as well as constipated...not good.

That burger? I ate half of it and put the rest in the fridge. :D
I also don't deep-fry anything...fries, tator tots, etc...all baked.

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hiya m8,

Well, I think it's a combination of good genes, being a smaller person with an ectomorph body type, and eating as my body wants me too.

I eat small portions and actually chew my food..lol I consume lots of water, whole grains, beans & rice, coffee, garlic, loads of chiles, and have taken vitamin/mineral supplements since I was a child. I didn't even have white sugar untiI was 14 and still don't have any bleached flour or sugar in the house.

Those things promote a faster metabolism and higher immune system..so i don't get sick.

A little known fact is that many seemingly 'fat' people have GI tract issues. They aren't digesting properly and have elimination issues as well. Basically, they are gassy and bloated as well as constipated...not good.

That burger? I ate half of it and put the rest in the fridge. :D
I also don't deep-fry anything...fries, tator tots, etc...all baked.
Is that 'good genes' or just tight genes? :D

Nah. Very informed answer there CaFF, thanks. I don't keep refined sugar at home, period! As for that bloating thing, I think I get that with wheat and potatoes. I remember once going to KFC and getting a burger in a bun, chips, and a muffin cake and I bloated so much my shell jacket went really tight like it was bursting! I was so embarrassed and headed home fast (and threw it up and my belly went flat again).
Well, that's my antidote :confused:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is that 'good genes' or just tight genes? :D

Nah. Very informed answer there CaFF, thanks. I don't keep refined sugar at home, period! As for that bloating thing, I think I get that with wheat and potatoes. I remember once going to KFC and getting a burger in a bun, chips, and a muffin cake and I bloated so much my shell jacket went really tight like it was bursting! I was so embarrassed and headed home fast (and threw it up and my belly went flat again).
Well, that's my antidote :confused:

Yeah, I avoid fast-food restaurants and eating out in general.

I worked in food service before and just do not trust some not-giving-any-fucks min-wage teenager or young adult with my health. You'd be amazed at how shoddy food safety is in the USA.

I know if I make a burger that it is cooked to temp and nothing was dropped on the floor. I also isolate meats and such from other things on my knives/cutting boards and use a 40% bleach solution on everything. ;)

My diet works for ME, but I'm not really the norm.
I admit, I should exercise and eat more veggies though...hard to do in my area though.

Good health is a process, not a result of a diet or any one thing.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tasty snack for watching the game.....

Leftover chicken breast, some refried beans, Colby-Jack cheese, A quick Salsa Fresca and some diced Avocado.

Salsa: Roma Tomato, Mayan Onion, crushed/minced Garlic, Cilantro, Serrano chile pepper and Kosher salt & Black pepper. The avocado got a dash of Lime juice and sea salt too.

Love using my Nakiri for salsa, it's just not fair to the veggies. ;-)

Warmed the tort, beans, meat and cheese. Then piled on the good stuff.

Decided I'd go fancy since it's a Holiday, with a bit of sour cream and fork-swirled Habanero sauce and a Cilantro/Black Pepper garnish. =)

The colors of Mexico...

Nom Nom Nom.....

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wanted cheesy pasta, as usual, it got out of hand... ;)

Cooked up some Rotini pasta. A fave for cheesy stuff as the ridges hold all that sauce nicely.

Sautéed some diced summer sausage, a leftover bacon hotdog, chopped onion, sweet & jalapeno peppers and a sliced clove of garlic in butter with S&P, a pinch of Allspice and Italian dry herbs.

Drained the pasta, added the meat and veggies and folded together. This let the fresh pasta take on all the nommy flavors.

Made a basic white sauce, then added Colby-Jack, American and finely chopped Cotija cheeses to make a nice cheese sauce. The Cotija doesn't really melt 100%, leaving nice bits of piquant cheesy goodness.

All together now.... :D

That'll feed me for a few days... hehehe.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Cotija doesn't really melt 100%, leaving nice bits of piquant cheesy goodness.
That'll feed me for a few days... hehehe.
Mmm I love lumpy anything (within reason : )
Nice cooking there, CaFF.
I think I'd be tempted to eat all of it in one sitting.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mmm I love lumpy anything (within reason : )
Nice cooking there, CaFF.
I think I'd be tempted to eat all of it in one sitting.

Thanks!

Hehe, yeah, normally a lumpy Mornay sauce is a bad thing...except when the lumps are Cotija cheese. ;)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks!

Hehe, yeah, normally a lumpy Mornay sauce is a bad thing...except when the lumps are Cotija cheese. ;)
It's totally awesome. Ppl rarely mention mornay sauce anymore. And I love lumpy custard, porridge, and lumpy apple crumble. I always seem to view your posts last before going to bed and see this food. I'm glad I don't keep much in the house - not like this anyhow. Nite m8

nite m8

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's totally awesome. Ppl rarely mention mornay sauce anymore. And I love lumpy custard, porridge, and lumpy apple crumble. I always seem to view your posts last before going to bed and see this food. I'm glad I don't keep much in the house - not like this anyhow. Nite m8

nite m8

:)

Yeah, me being GMT-8 is a PITA....g'nite m8..

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@CaFF
Do you make your own refried beans, or do you buy 'em ready to go?

I've made it before and it is nicer, but it's a lot of work for what is cheap in a tin.
Plus, without canning a batch, it's not very easy to keep long-term. So, yeah, I just buy it. :)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know Mornay sauce, well isn't it usually used for fish? That's what I thought this morning when I woke up anyway.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've made it before and it is nicer, but it's a lot of work for what is cheap in a tin.
Plus, without canning a batch, it's not very easy to keep long-term. So, yeah, I just buy it. :)
We do as well, but I've always wanted to try making them from scratch. Maybe that'll be this weekend's project :)

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've found a few recipes that look good, now I've got to go out and buy the stuff. I think I'm also gonna try a version of your spicy meat filling (words I never thought I'd say to another man...). Burritos are now on the menu for Sunday night, assuming I can get the laundry list 'o shit I have to do finished this weekend!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I have just made a big pot of Hot and Sour Soup.

Mushrooms, Bamboo Shoots and Water Chestnuts.

And four eggs (it is a big pot).

When I am ready to serve, I cut some Snow Peas into manageable sections and put them in a bowl.

Then I fill the bowl with the hot soup and let the soup cook the pea pods.

Very good if I do say so myself.

And I do!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a large Pile 'o Breakfast today....

Stuff:
Diced potato, some onion and chile peppers, couple of diced (tiny) brekky sausage patties, three smallish eggs, cheese, seasonings and some broken-up biscuits. :)

No, I'm not eating even a 1/4 of it today.
I prefer making a bunch and having leftovers for an EZ breakfast later on. It keeps in the fridge pretty good.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The black beans for the refried beans have made it to the stove. A can of pre-fab refried beans is standing by, just in case :)

Sounds tasty. :)

I bought some super-cheap wooden spoons from Walmart, they were 88 cents for the three of 'em. ;-)
IDK what wood they are, possibly bamboo, but man the stuff was rough. They tore up my sponge when I washed them...so I though better of using them as-is and getting slivers.
surprised-010.gif

A little sanding with 100 grit sandpaper and a rub & soak with Olive Oil, and now look:

I also finally made those bigazz chicken breasts I'd brined. Only two of 'em, still about 3lbs worth.
Trimmed the fat and stuff, then sliced into manageable pieces. Big enough chunks for soups, burritos, brekky meals or such, but not too big.

Cooking broth has: water, some of the brine + chicken stock, chipotle in adobo, white wine, a dash of molasses, smokey green hab sauce, lots of chilli powders, dry sweet basil, garlic, onions and sweet peppers, a dash of Old Bay in lieu of celery, and a generous shot of Bhut Jolokia powder. No salt needed as the brine had plenty.

That's a 32oz container. Plus, I have about 4-5 cups of the liquid leftover to reduce for a sauce, or for cooking rice and/or pasta. :D

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, some of you knew I'd make one of these topics. ;-)

I love food. That includes shopping for it, cooking it, eating it and photographing it.
Primarily, I'd like to see things YOU have eaten and/or made yourself. It doesn't matter if it's a hot dog or a gourmet meal.

Here is my late-night TV watching snack....

• Franz "Sweet & Dark" whole grain bread
  • Julienned Turkey Breast tossed with EVOO, kosher salt and dry sweet basil
  • Garlic bologna
  • Colby-Jack Cheese
  • Tomato & Sweet Onion
  • Sliced Kamalata Olives
  • Thinly sliced Orange Habanero
  • Best Food's Mayo
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Sprinkle of Sea Salt and Black Pepper

A little prep can go a long way for a great snack. :D

insanity.gif

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
thats gotta be one of the tastiest brown breads around - Mccambridges - right? and denny white pudding?

IMHO, missing one egg and the coffee cup is way to small:(

Other than that, do you deliver?:D

VU Sponsors