Become a Patron!

The imperial system, isn't it time to move on?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back then, when people used to use their feet to measure things, the english invented the imperial system.

You have several measurements that don't relate to each other, nothing is round, the smallest measurement is too big so you have to use fractions of a measurement.
Consider the time and money wasted in industry on conversions in relation to the metric system.
Consider that even as a die hard imperial fans you are still using the metric system, like your 22mm mod, 18mmX650mm battery, 5 liter engine in your car.

Iv'e heard that small kids have to learn the imperial system in school, is that true?
Iv'e heard that you tried to convert to metric during the 70s and failed, why?

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wait-what-dog.jpg

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
People just don't like change.

Me, I have a background in industrial sales and I am fluent in both Metric and Imperial. As far as parts are concerned it is about a 50/50 mishmash of both systems.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A lot of us use both in the US. Maybe its time you wankers learn both? Or is that to much to ask from your wee little noggins? I can't understand our intelligence coming under fire, from a man in a country that still bows to a Queen, who has had her family chosen by "God" to run their Empire and collect their taxes...lol....Tea time anyone?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally I'll have to agree with the OP. The only other countries that use the Imperial System are Liberia and Myanmar (aka, Burma). Lol. It really is time for us to join the rest of the world.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Quickly tell me what's the next size up from 5/64? 3/32? 5/8?
Quickly tell me what's the next size up from 3? 6? 8?
I'm an American and it would take time to adjust, but I think the metric system makes more sense.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Quickly tell me what's the next size up from 5/64? 3/32? 5/8?
Quickly tell me what's the next size up from 3? 6? 8?
I'm an American and it would take time to adjust, but I think the metric system makes more sense.
Elementary school teaches fractions...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Elementary school teaches fractions...
Yeah, and they teach you how to count using a system based on the number 10. Certain fractions can't be accurately converted to the decimal system because they extend to infinity. Using two different systems that aren't compatible doesn't make sense to me.
And preschool teaches counting. Smart ass.

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, and they teach you how to count using a system based on the number 10. Certain fractions can't be accurately converted to the decimal system because they extend to infinity. Using two different systems that aren't compatible doesn't make sense to me.
And preschool teaches counting. Smart ass.
Smartass ? LOL

They teach conversions too.. ;) And just cause you cant count beyond your ten fingers, they have these things called 'charts' ...

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made a point about measuring things being easier when counting by whole numbers instead of counting by fractions and you either agreed and made a completely worthless comment or you disagreed in an indirect manner. And now your talking about symbols we use to represent specific quantities being used in a manner that forces them to go on forever. I'd rather use a simple, more standardized system of measure that isn't bound to fractions and random units. My opinion has been expressed and you can pound sand.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I made a point about measuring things being easier when counting by whole numbers instead of counting by fractions and you either agreed and made a completely worthless comment or you disagreed in an indirect manner. And now your talking about symbols we use to represent specific quantities being used in a manner that forces them to go on forever. I'd rather use a simple, more standardized system of measure that isn't bound to fractions and random units. My opinion has been expressed and you can pound sand.
oooooooo, he said pound sand.....did you want him to pound metric sand or imperial sand? That is the real questions lol.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hehehehehehehehe

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya, but, how many grains of sand am I pounding? Be specific... In a simple, whole, way.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why not have both? :D

Pound of beach sand conversion:

Amount: 1 pound (lb) of beach sand weight
Equals: 453.59 grams (g) in beach sand weight

Source
LOL.. Dont you mean 0.0714281982 Stone? Which equals 0.000453592 Metric Ton :D

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Okay, well, this is what this over the hill book nerd thinks when he hears the word "decimal"

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are:

224 ounces in a stone
128 oz in a gallon
1760 yards in a mile

1000 G in a KG
1000 ML in L
1000 M in a KM

Now honestly think which system is easier to measure and calculate.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do think a base 10 system would be better, what were people drinking back in old times to think that '12' was good to base things off?
Same could be said for the base of 16 (when it comes to weights and volumes).
10 is so simple and easy.

Conversely, I think Fahrenheit should be used over Celsius as it offers a wider range of numbers to differentiate the temperature..
32F to 95F = 63 digits to use.
0C to 35C = only 35 digits to use.
There are times when a few degrees can make a big difference and Fahrenheit offers a more detailed scale.

(before anybody adds it)
273K - 308K = only 35 digits to use, so Fahrenheit is still the better option.

VU Sponsors