Become a Patron!

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any chance we could get a subforum for vapers in recovery?
AA, NA, CA, HA, Overcomer's Outreach, etc...
ALL would be welcome. Might be a nice way for us to support each other and share our experience when one of us is struggling.
Just a thought...

egomama

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread is for all of us who have been addicted to something. Who have fallen down a dark hole and have climbed back out or are just learning to how to start the climb. This is for those of us who are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was addicted to m*th for about 5 years. I have been sober for 13 years. I quit on my own, just because I was tired of always feeling like crap.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very cool and congratulations!
I had six years in May.
I work a Twelve Step program as both a sponsee and a sponsor.
I've attended more funerals than I can count but every so often, I get to see that spark come back to someone's eye...
Thanks for starting the thread.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This thread is for all of us who have been addicted to something. Who have fallen down a dark hole and have climbed back out or are just learning to how to start the climb. This is for those of us who are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was addicted to m*th for about 5 years. I have been sober for 13 years. I quit on my own, just because I was tired of always feeling like crap.
Nice Avatar not sure if I should be scared or dared lol

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have been a friend of Bill W since 1988. Had 12 years at one point and (as we so often hear) "stopped doing what i was supposed to do" and went back in and out for 10 years (getting a year here and a year there). Last year nearly killed me (literally spend 3 weeks in a coma). I am 7 months C&S now and those 12 suggestions and service is saving my life. I stopped smoking may 4th (day i left rehab) and picked up a vape the next day. Haven't wanted a cigarette (or anything else) since. My HP is "doing for me what i cannot do for myself".

Was all that TMI?

Alan Woltemath

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any chance we could get a subforum for vapers in recovery?
AA, NA, CA, HA, Overcomer's Outreach, etc...
ALL would be welcome. Might be a nice way for us to support each other and share our experience when one of us is struggling.
Just a thought...
That would be awesome, By the way i celebrate 6 years of sobriety on fri aug 8th. I feel so amazing and couldn't be happier.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been a friend of Bill W since 1988. Had 12 years at one point and (as we so often hear) "stopped doing what i was supposed to do" and went back in and out for 10 years (getting a year here and a year there). Last year nearly killed me (literally spend 3 weeks in a coma). I am 7 months C&S now and those 12 suggestions and service is saving my life. I stopped smoking may 4th (day i left rehab) and picked up a vape the next day. Haven't wanted a cigarette (or anything else) since. My HP is "doing for me what i cannot do for myself".

Was all that TMI?
Not at all.
We've been there too

Alan Woltemath

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
how long do you have ghost 62? this type of thread section would be an amazing addition to the already awesome vaping underground.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not to take anything away here, but this site is filled with addicts . Just because its legal does not make it any less of an addiction . If anyone who smokes or vapes or used to do any of both , looks down on anyone , they should look in the mirror and say " there, but for the grace of God, go I " Some of us picked nicotine , it could very easily have been something else . OK , off my soap box !!! Just my 2 cents .

Alan Woltemath

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi My Name is Alan and i'm a Alcoholic/Drug Addict. I have been clean and sober since 8/8/08. I celebrate 6 years this friday the 8th. was addicted to alcohol for 9 years and crack for 7 years. Became homeless and destroyed relationships with family and loved ones. Since becoming sober i have made a tramendous amount of amends. I now am happily married with a 2 yr old daughter, and have the best relationship with my family you could possibly imagine. Life has become so much more manageable and meaningful. I never thought these words would come out of my mouth but i haven't had a craving in 4 yrs. I give it all to God and the support of my family. Without them it would not have been possible.

Thank you to EGOMAMA for starting this amazing thread. Vaping and AA in one place is a fantastic idea.

Alan Woltemath

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not to take anything away here, but this site is filled with addicts . Just because its legal does not make it any less of an addiction . If anyone who smokes or vapes or used to do any of both , looks down on anyone , they should look in the mirror and say " there, but for the grace of God, go I " Some of us picked nicotine , it could very easily have been something else . OK , off my soap box !!! Just my 2 cents .
Are you a drug addict or alcoholic? The reason why i ask is if you are not you couldn't possibly understand why a thread like this is so important to those of us in recovery. Receiving and giving support is a lifesaver and i am all about sharing and giving back to others the amazing gift that was given to me. People that have not experienced this type of life destroying addiction, in which you have no self control over, can not possibly wrap their minds around the ins and outs of addiction. Yes tobacco and vaping are also addictions so i can definitely see where you are coming from, but trust me when i say it is a complete night and day difference.

Please believe that i am in no way trying to be mean or put you down. It is a common way of thinking. I also don't want you to think that i am saying my addiction is worse than anyone else's. I just want to make known the severity of the disease(addiction) and the importance of a place like this thread for fellow addicts to come together. It is a great medicine for us addicts to stick together and support one another. And who knows, with the help and support of other fellow addicts, we might just save someones life. And that to me is absolutely priceless.

Last edited:

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, I like the idea of this thread. But I hate putting myself out there and feeling vulnerable. Takes a lot of courage for folks to put stuff out there in the public.
I'm not a coward by any means so here's just a bit about the Fish. And maybe as this thread begins to progress I (we) will be more comfortable and share a bit more.
Any way, I'm a recovered alcoholic of ten years, m*th addict for three years, Oxyc*ntin for two years and inhalants for fifteen years. That's just the tip of the ice burg.
I've been alcohol free for over 11 yrs and the last time I got high(smoked a ***b) was in 2006. Been completely sober since then.
Wrecked my life and my family's life. Fucked up and fucked off a lot of people. Did irreparable damage. Lost my kids and went to prison for 9 yrs. Been out for just over 2 yrs now and still have a very long way to go.
I don't blame the substance abuse or blame anyone but myself for the choices I made. There were things and people that contributed to my fucked up choices but the blame is fully mine alone.
I started abusing drugs and alcohol at around age 10 (OD at age 12) till I was 24. I'm amazed that after all the shit I put my brain and body through that I can function at the level that I do.
I love being sober and I love learning how to function in a healthy way.
Being in prison for all those years was hell and a blessing.
I'm 36 yrs old and having to learn shit that most folks learn in their early twenties. Fuck it, I'm retarded and I can accept that. Thanks to those of you who took the time to read this little bit of insight into Fishee.
I love you folks and would never, could never judge a single one of you.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, I like the idea of this thread. But I hate putting myself out there and feeling vulnerable. Takes a lot of courage for folks to put stuff out there in the public.
I'm not a coward by any means so here's just a bit about the Fish. And maybe as this thread begins to progress I (we) will be more comfortable and share a bit more.
Any way, I'm a recovered alcoholic of ten years, mth addict for three years, Ox*contin for two years and inhalants for fifteen years. That's just the tip of the ice burg.
I've been alcohol free for over 11 yrs and the last time I got high(smoked a d***) was in 2006. Been completely sober since then.
Wrecked my life and my family's life. Fucked up and fucked off a lot of people. Did irreparable damage. Lost my kids and went to prison for 9 yrs. Been out for just over 2 yrs now and still have a very long way to go.
I don't blame the substance abuse or blame anyone but myself for the choices I made. There were things and people that contributed to my fucked up choices but the blame is fully mine alone.
I started abusing drugs and alcohol at around age 10 (OD at age 12) till I was 24. I'm amazed that after all the shit I put my brain and body through that I can function at the level that I do.
I love being sober and I love learning how to function in a healthy way.
Being in prison for all those years was hell and a blessing.
I'm 36 yrs old and having to learn shit that most folks learn in their early twenties. Fuck it, I'm retarded and I can accept that. Thanks to those of you who took the time to read this little bit of insight into Fishee.
I love you folks and would never, could never judge a single one of you.
Thanks for being here and thanks for sharing.
By putting outselves out there and becoming vulnerable, we can learn to trust again- in both ourselves and others.
We can't do this alone.
Welcome

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for being here and thanks for sharing.
By putting outselves out there and becoming vulnerable, we can learn to trust again- in both ourselves and others.
We can't do this alone.
Welcome
Thank you brother. And I do feel welcomed and comfortable posting about this stuff here. Not entirely sure why that is. But I am trusting my gut on this one and hoping to make some good friends here.
I hope I can be a source of encouragement and maybe share and receive some insight and support.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Met the love of my life as a sophomore in high school. Lost her to m*th as a junior. After nearly a decade apart that involved my own battle with alcoholism and a failed marriage we reconnected and have been going strong ever since, with a beautiful 10-year-old daughter and, now, over a year removed from cigarettes, that nasty vice that followed through from our past lives.

For those still fighting, just know there's more than just a light, there is indeed an end to the tunnel.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My kids go back to school today and suddenly i have a lot of free time on my hands. Feel a bit anxious about it. I am grateful for this thread.

egomama

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My kids go back to school today and suddenly i have a lot of free time on my hands. Feel a bit anxious about it. I am grateful for this thread.
Are you anxious because of the free time on your hands, or something else? Ive always found if I can find the root of my anxiety, it helps to learn to deal with that anxiety, granted it doesnt always work, but that is what I try to do. ;)

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
for 20 years, I smoked pot, I smoked Oxy, I smoked morphine, I sniffed coke, i sniffed crystal, I popped pills, I drank excessively, I was addicted to violence, I was addicted to pain. Been sober for 2 years and 8 months now. I fought hard to make it out alive. It hardened me, to a scary place of mind. But this place, is a warm and beautiful place. I love my sobriety. I try not to look back, looking forward is much more rewarding...but I will never forget, I will never forgive, I will never give in. I will survive, I will live. I will succeed. Raise your vapes brothers and sisters, this puff is for you. Much Love and Respect to all my Family here in the underground. Stay True.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
for 20 years, I smoked pot, I smoked Oxy, I smoked morphine, I sniffed coke, i sniffed crystal, I popped pills, I drank excessively, I was addicted to violence, I was addicted to pain. Been sober for 2 years and 8 months now. I fought hard to make it out alive. It hardened me, to a scary place of mind. But this place, is a warm and beautiful place. I love my sobriety. I try not to look back, looking forward is much more rewarding...but I will never forget, I will never forgive, I will never give in. I will survive, I will live. I will succeed. Raise your vapes brothers and sisters, this puff is for you. Much Love and Respect to all my Family here in the underground. Stay True.

Amen

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was younger we began getting high at school. Then after school left home and smoked grass and dope and took ecstasy. It really messed with me and my adolescence. Then one day I was smoking skunk with a friend and it just triggered something in my brain and they rushed me to hospital. My head was in pain for two years and I could hardly talk. I can talk a lot now. Today, even if I wanted to take anything I wouldn't be able to. Not that I want to but I'd be too afraid to try. I can drink if I want to as drugs and drink are very different things, to me anyway. But sometimes I wonder if whatever happened that day hadn't happened where my life would be today.

Juice_Spiller

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As someone who has not been addicted to drugs or alcohol, I commend each and every one of you for getting through what you have been through. Wow. Truly impressed that you are all here, hanging on this board with all of us.
I have seen some people not make it through addiction and it makes me very happy to see people make it through the other side of the tunnel.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you anxious because of the free time on your hands, or something else? Ive always found if I can find the root of my anxiety, it helps to learn to deal with that anxiety, granted it doesnt always work, but that is what I try to do. ;)
Morning egomana.
Is there a way to merge my request to start a Vapers in Recovery sub forum into this thread so we can have it all in one place?
Have a Blessed day and thanks!

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to say thank you to ghost62 for the thread request and thank egomama for making it happen.
I also thank you all for sharing these things here. Thank you for your openness and bravery. Thank you for reaching out for help and reaching out to give a helping hand.
May each and every one of us remain spiritually strong and sound minded.
Enjoy the day and enjoy your vape.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to say thank you to ghost62 for the thread request and thank egomama for making it happen.
I also thank you all for sharing these things here. Thank you for your openness and bravery. Thank you for reaching out for help and reaching out to give a helping hand.
May each and every one of us remain spiritually strong and sound minded.
Enjoy the day and enjoy your vape.
I want to thank you guys as well.
Anyone who has ever fought this damn disease knows that we need others as much as they need us.
Alone, we can't. Together we can...
Over six years into this journey and I have never lost the little voices that tell me I need to use, that one more time won't hurt anything. I used to think I was doing something wrong but, today, I know that those urges are there because I'm an addict.
The same tools that got me thru those first weeks of hell get me thru each day still and now I'm grateful those little voices are
there. They keep me vigilant and allow me to relate to others that are still struggling.
Again, thanks for being here guys!

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Talk it out.
No one here is judging.
Alone time is a big trigger for me too. My disease tells me that no one will ever know and I can handle just one more time.
But then I talk it out with another addict or I remind myself of all that I gave away for another run and all that I have to lose today.
It's just not worth it anymore

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Morning egomana.
Is there a way to merge my request to start a Vapers in Recovery sub forum into this thread so we can have it all in one place?
Have a Blessed day and thanks!
Amen. Glad to be here, glad you're all here, too. Thank you everyone, for sharing. Thank you Egomama for opening up and allowing everyone to feel comfortable enough to do the same.

My story is like most anyone else's. Started out with alcohol, pot, then a ruthless addiction to pain killers. My life was saved by the Grace of God 9/3/04. Clean and sober ever since.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amen. Glad to be here, glad you're all here, too. Thank you everyone, for sharing. Thank you Egomama for opening up and allowing everyone to feel comfortable enough to do the same.
My story is like most anyone else's. Started out with alcohol, pot, then a ruthless addiction to pain killers. My life was saved by the Grace of God 9/3/04. Clean and sober ever since.
Welcome! Glad you're here!

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We are many. We are Hope.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hehehehe, someone who knows my avatars signature....love it. Much Respect bro.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This has been a Tough day for me. Been home bound w kids all summer (medical leave). They went back today so feel very alone ( and lacking accountability ). On top of that I got suspended from e-cig forum (yes, the "enemy") over trying to protect my integrity when I was accused of lying. When I showed proof that the vendor was deceiving customers (when I posted the email truth from the manufacturer) I got banned. Go figure. !?!?!
Must have said serenity prayer 100 times today. My mantra... Let it go.
I am honestly still a bit hurt over the whole thing. God knows I have done enough bad stuff in the past to deserve harsh words. But I live by a different set of spiritual principles now.
Am I being too sensitive?

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This has been a Tough day for me. Been home bound w kids all summer (medical leave). They went back today so feel very alone ( and lacking accountability ). On top of that I got suspended from e-cig forum (yes, the "enemy") over trying to protect my integrity when I was accused of lying. When I showed proof that the vendor was deceiving customers (when I posted the email truth from the manufacturer) I got banned. Go figure. !?!?!
I am honestly still a bit hurt over the whole thing. God knows I have done enough bad stuff in the past to deserve harsh words. But I live by a different set of spiritual principles now.
How we feel is how we feel. The important thing is that allow ourselves to feel and then learn to let it go.
Holding on to negative feelings hurts no one but yourself... I promise the person that banned you isn't going to lose any sleep over it. Why should you?
People, situations and events only have power over your feelings if you give it to them.

egomama

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Time for a hobby :), or relax and read a book. If you have the space for gardening, mayhap becoming one with mother nature will help you out. Distracting ourselves from the things that cause us anxiety, when we can, can be extremely helpful and healing. You learn to control the situation instead of the situation controlling you. As for being banned, the only persons actions you can control is your own. When some entity is more concerned over petty bullshit than the truth, they are not worth the time nor the energy to consider.

VU Sponsors